Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now it seems like the OJ Mayo deal is falling apart because Pacers won't offer enough. What Herb is doing absolutely sucks for this franchise
    I don't want to overpay for Mayo. I'm still kind of annoyed that we overpaid for Hill.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Is this really a surprise to anyone?
    plus 1

I said this the day Bird stepped day you dont go from "I love my job and cant wait to improve my team as long as the talks with Simon goes well"

to quitting in 3 weeks. It was pretty obvious Bird wanted to get an Eric Gordon type RFA and Simon said no which is just sad. Bird isnt stupid he knows we need to add an elite talent and this free agency period was our last chance. Like I said Simon doesnt carry about a championship and not going after Gordon was proof you cant build a player who is a better fit for our team to get to the next level and we refuse to offer him a fair deal.\

Plus when Bird talked to Jackie Mac it was pretty obvious he isn't coming back unless his owner wants to actually let him bulid a championship team.

Simon is out of touch just retaining your own guys wont get us anywhere near a title contender and Bird knew this. We dont have the talent we did in 04 where just retaining would of been enough(if it wasn't for the brawl) we needed this free agency period more than anything.

Gordon or Williams would of been the final piece but Simon is content with just trying to be a 4-8 seed trying to get out of the 2nd rd instead of trying to win it all

If we were going by just retaining you cant build on that model by draft mid teens every year it wont work.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't see why people are crucifying Simon here. I mean is dropping 60 million over 4 years to a guy who played a total of 9 games last year (in addition to his history of injuries) indicative of a penny pincher or a smart business man? I would have to say the latter.

Also, I have a tough time believing that after all of this time working under Simon than not wanting to go after Gordon caused Bird to step away. I have to believe there is more to it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So we are the new Atlanta Hawks ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

I read the article twice and it seems highly speculative to me, and I dont really buy it as the article suggests. So Bird tells Simon we need another scorer and Herb refuses, so Bird leaves. Does anyone think it is that simple. Doesn't ring true to me
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

this article sounds weak...we are supposed to believe Bird said "I want to add another scorer" and Simon flat-out said "not under any circumstance"? that is very unlikely.

more likely is that simon did not want to offer the max to gordon (good choice!) and/or did not want to pay the luxury tax (which is the stance of almost every owner in the league)...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    At this point, we can only wish....

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I've wondered about that. Yet we still at least met with Gordon before he agreed to terms with Phoenix. I don't see why we met with him at all if Simon would never condone making an offer. Maybe Herb doesn't feel he's worth max money, and his reluctance to pursue free agents is partially because he feels they usually get overpaid (by teams wanting to try to force other franchises to let players leave, like Portland is attempting to do to us right now with Roy Hibbert).
    First, thats the point I put RFA's or Max type RFA's. He doesn't want to pay a max contract to RFA's. Simon said he didn't have a problem bidding on RFA's in that last interview (seemed a little reluctant when asked, I thought). However, Max type RFA's wasn't mentioned. This doesn't stop Larry from bringing them in to test the waters, crossing his fingers that a miracle happens. It would get very annoying to continue that process tho! The best job in the world Larry says and yet he walked away from the team that he grew up with. He had his hands tied and there really isn't any other way about it!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

If Bird left because of Gordon, that's just stupid. If Bird left because Simon said we couldn't add another scorer, that's just....completely ********. Simon wouldn't do that.

Now, if Bird said there's no way he could build a contender without going over the luxury tax for a couple of years and Simon said "Hell No", that would be believable and completely understandable. There doesn't have to be a bad guy in this situation.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I read the article twice and it seems highly speculative to me, and I dont really buy it as the article suggests. So Bird tells Simon we need another scorer and Herb refuses, so Bird leaves. Does anyone think it is that simple. Doesn't ring true to me
    Does the bad back, wanting to take a year off, etc. sound more plausible? if this is true, Larry is not coming back to this team and we are stuck with Walsh or a Walsh-like clone. Why it seems plausible is that his decision to not come back was abrupt. However, there appears to be a difference in philosophy between Simon and Bird and whether Eric is involved isn't clear or material..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

There has to be more to it than suggested, as there are more (less risky) options than Gordon (Mayo isn't one of them). To me this sounds more like there s a disagreement on how to spend the money to build a team, not that Simon isn't willing to spend.

Lots of running around with hair on fire going on, on this board, jeez. Gets hard to read, all of the ridiculous absolute statements. Simon doesn't like to go for Restricted FA for multiple reasons, I understand that, doesn't mean he strives for mediocrity or you can never win a championship, but whatever, people are entitled to their overeations.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

This isn't how you build the fanbase back. Fans come to games when they know their team is committed to doing whatever it can to win. Letting Larry Bird (an indiana legend) walk because you won't let him spend enough to turn the team into a contender? ouch.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope your right. I would hate to think Simon said it in that manner or said it at all.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Yes, very well said. Also, when Bird wanted to add a scorer this year, he did, with Barbosa. Simon didn't veto this.

billbradley

Larry Bird left Pacers job partly due to owner refusing to spend money this offseason
    http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/07/0...medium=twitter

Analysts were shocked when Larry Bird announced that he was leaving the Indiana Pacers, as recent reports had the NBA legend hinting at a returning. Besides the health issues which were initially cited, it sounds like Bird had enough of owner Herb Simon refusing to spend money this offseason.

Let's see if the Pacers decide to match the max-level offer sheet restricted free agent Roy Hibbert signed with the Portland Trail Blazers.

According to Mitch Lawrence from nydailynews.com:

Simon turned down Bird’s request to add a scorer, even after the Pacers had problems generating offense against the Miami Heat in their second-round playoff loss. Bird was thinking about getting into the Eric Gordon sweepstakes to make a run at the Hornets’ restricted free agent and former Indiana University star. .... Bird likely used Simon’s rejection as an additional reason to hang it up, one old Celtic said.

------------------------------------------------------------

But Simon is also known to oppose paying the NBA luxury tax. After leaving, Bird shed some light on what he had to put up with, when asked about making the Pacers better.

“Small market,’’ he said. “It’s tough.’’
    This is kind of ridiculous. I'm interested to hear the response on 1070 Monday.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Bird isnt stupid he knows we need to add an elite talent and this free agency period was our last chance.
    I don't know that I would say this is our last chance. That's a bit too doom and gloom for me. Also, it's not like the season is starting tomorrow. Who knows what the remainder of this offseason holds.

Mood

..i was jokin'. I just don't think he would say no to adding a scorer. should have put quotations lol

I thought Jackie Macmullan was on 1070 this past week and said something along the lines that she thinks bird will end up back on a team that will open up the wallet a little more.... she talked to him or something... she seemed to kind of reiterate this same sentiment. Sometimes reality hurts.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I don't know that I would say this is our last chance. That's a bit too doom and gloom for me. Also, it's not like the season is starting tomorrow. Who knows what the remainder of this offseason holds.
    name an all star quality guy who can get to the rim at will and shoot like both Deron and Eric can. This was our last shot to add before paying our own. Literally Deron and EJ fit the bill of our last remaining key piece we needed to a tee but we didnt go after one of them.

Who knows what the reminder of the off season holds??? I know one thing we aren't getting a difference maker to take us to a championship caliber team like we could of if we went after one RFA.

It's fine if you want to sugar coat and be unrealistic it but im not really into that kind of thing.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    If this offseason isn't our last chance to get an elite scorer ie. Eric Gordon. Then explain how else Pacers are going to get an elite scorer? I think Pacer4ever is completely correct! Eric is an Addition to without the subtraction off!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    I thought Jackie Macmullan was on 1070 this past week and said something along the lines that she thinks bird will end up back on a team that will open up the wallet a little more.... she talked to him or something... she seemed to kind of reiterate this same sentiment. Sometimes reality hurts.
    Bird himself said it in the interview.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    If Simon didn't want to spend, Hill would of walked. There are much cheaper options.
    Still believe there was "nothing" to the "Simon wouldn't spend" grumblings? Like I said, often when there's smoke, there's fire. This even adds to the suspicion that Simon's willingness to spend is a legitimate concern. I don't know if it's fact, but there sure seems to be some reason to believe it at this point.
    Last edited by PR07; 07-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Theres a difference in not spending and not throwing max contracts at a guy who cannot stay healthy.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    What is your obsession with this?

I've seen you make this comment on about every thread you participate in.. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."