Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

Default NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1109705

By Mitch Lawrence

Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame

Pacers owner Herb Simon turned down the NBA legend's request to add a scorer, even after the Pacers had problems generating offense against the Miami Heat in their second-round playoff loss.

The old Celtics players network was buzzing after Larry Bird stepped down as Indiana’s president and not because Bird quit after nine seasons in the team’s front office.

Bird told some old teammates that he was actually leaning toward staying on and had indicated that in a meeting in late June with owner Herb Simon when they met to assess the Pacers’ needs. During the sit-down, Bird told Simon he liked the team a lot, but “we just need to add another piece.’’

Nothing doing.

Simon turned down Bird’s request to add a scorer, even after the Pacers had problems generating offense against the Miami Heat in their second-round playoff loss. Bird was thinking about getting into the Eric Gordon sweepstakes to make a run at the Hornets’ restricted free agent and former Indiana University star.

Between health concerns about his shoulder and back and the fact that he doesn’t see himself as a lifer like other execs, including his successor Donnie Walsh, Bird likely used Simon’s rejection as an additional reason to hang it up, one old Celtic said.

Simon, the shopping mall czar, could have easily picked up another big deal, even as the Pacers decided to re-sign point guard George Hill for $40 million over five years, and are expected to match Portland’s bloated $60 million offer sheet to retain starting center Roy Hibbert. According to Forbes, Simon, the chairman and director of the Simon Property Group, the largest publicly traded real estate investment trust in the U.S., had a net worth this past March of $1.8 billion.

But Simon is also known to oppose paying the NBA luxury tax. After leaving, Bird shed some light on what he had to put up with, when asked about making the Pacers better.

“Small market,’’ he said. “It’s tough.’’

The NBA likes its icons, as it has been working behind the scenes with Michael Jordan to try to help get his Bobcats turned around. So it makes sense that the league would want Bird to come back in the future.

“It’s got to be the right job, the right people,’’ he said about running another franchise. “I’ve got some interest in some jobs out there but whether I do it again, who knows.’’

Bird has indicated to former teammates that he’s too old to be part of an ownership group, but it’s not as if he’s a geezer. He’ll turn 56 in December.

We can see a return for Bird down the line, perhaps as a part-owner and the face of a franchise. The NBA will always welcome Larry Legend back, with open arms.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

If this is true, I am very disappointed in Simon.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Yikes.

I worry for our future if Herb wont let us get a scorer.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY Daily News: 'Larry Bird flew the coop in Indiana and the Pacers' billionaire owner is partly to blame'

I hope this isn't all true.. Specifically the conversation between Bird and Simon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Gotta spend $ to make $ Herb... if this is your spending plan as a franchise, then you better be prepared to sit back and enjoy losing money every year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisjacobs7 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was sure that Bird left because Simon really wouldn't let him build a winner...... None of this surprises me. I think Bird will sit out a year and comeback with another team in a large market to build an NBA champion......

Is this really a surprise to anyone?

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

This isn't a smoking gun, but this is exactly what I was afraid of.

After all of the years of trying to build & getting rid of bloated rotten contracts Bird was ready to see his new young team make that next step only to be told that he wouldn't have the resources to do it.

I love what Simon has done for our franchise & I always will appreciate him for that. But if we don't get that extra piece and we don't re-sign Roy and or replace him with equal value then I have to question Simons real commitment to winning it all.

I have a feeling that playoff games and winning season records might just be enough and the more I think about it the more that sounds like the 90's to me.

Again, I'm not going to let an interview with un named sources who used to play with Bird make my final impression but honestly this goes into the pile of "hmmmmm...." when I think about this off season and the upcoming one.

I told Diamond Dave the other night I have a feeling we should have had a parade after this season because I wonder if that is not as good as its going to get.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Mood

**** you simon

billbradley

If Simon didn't want to spend, Hill would of walked. There are much cheaper options.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

I tend to believe this article after what has happened so far in the off season. (I know it's not over, but still...)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

If you don't want to spend the money to build a winner, the SELL THE TEAM!! I don't blame him for not wanting to pay the luxury tax, but anything up to that should be used to build the team!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    **** you simon
    Settle down and show some respect. He deserves it. And he sure as hell deserves better than any Pacer fan having the nerve to say '**** you' to him. Absolutely ridiculous.

25. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    **** you simon
    Beyond what the Simon family has done for us as Pacer fans, you should educated yourself on what they have done for this city, state, and humanity in general.

27. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

And It could be bent out of context a bit. It maybe just the fact that Simon don't want to bid on RFA's or Max type RFA's, like Eric Gordon. This would make Larry's hands be tied just as well. Larry can't get the big named FA's here and Larry wasn't allowed to bid on big name RFA's. Only very few trades will equate to a for sure big name player either, because if that big name player is walking the walk they just don't get traded for the heck of it.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    If Simon didn't want to spend, Hill would of walked. There are much cheaper options.
    I don't see a binary choice here. It's not a matter of 'Simon doesn't to spend'. Clearly we can see that he's willing to. It's just that that has limits, and unfortunately for those of us who still care deeply about winning a championship... it may be just shy of what we need to really try to make it all the way. 'One piece short.'

Simon has even allowed us to be a tax team in the past, but I think he's been hit hard by the losses over the past 7-ish years, and my hunch is he's a little more reluctant than he used to be. I don't think we'll ever be a tax team again while he's the owner. I think the best we can hope for is spending up to just below the tax.

We may still match Roy, but we're not going to look to add any big names. Our best hope is to replace one or some of our current guys with ones who fit together better to make up for it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I was so excited for this team after the heat series but this offseason Is slowing killing it. Match hibbert, sign brand and mayo, and hope we can find a trade mid season I guess.
    Long time lurker. Fan since 98. Don't Trade Danny

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacerjones20 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    And It could be bent out of context a bit. It maybe just the fact that Simon don't want to bid on RFA's or Max type RFA's, like Eric Gordon. This would make Larry's hands be tied just as well. Larry can't get the big named FA's here and Larry wasn't allowed to bid on big name RFA's. Only very few trades will equate to a for sure big name player either, because if that big name player is walking the walk they just don't get traded for the heck of it.
    I've wondered about that. Yet we still at least met with Gordon before he agreed to terms with Phoenix. I don't see why we met with him at all if Simon would never condone making an offer. Maybe Herb doesn't feel he's worth max money, and his reluctance to pursue free agents is partially because he feels they usually get overpaid (by teams wanting to try to force other franchises to let players leave, like Portland is attempting to do to us right now with Roy Hibbert).

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

If this turns out true, I will be so disappointed in Simon.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Is this really a surprise to anyone?
    Not a surprise, but it's concerning as I still cling to the dream of winning a title someday. My hope is all but gone, though.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If he said no to Gordon why'd we meet with him?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Because he didn't want to take 14m+/yr gamble on Gordon (and that's all i'm seeing in this article), does not mean he won't spend.

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Right now it seems like the OJ Mayo deal is falling apart because Pacers won't offer enough. What Herb is doing absolutely sucks for this franchise

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Right now it seems like the OJ Mayo deal is falling apart because Pacers won't offer enough. What Herb is doing absolutely sucks for this franchise
    It sucks, but ironically, there probably wouldn't be an Indiana Pacers if not for him and his brother.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post: