View Poll Results: Should the Pacers match Portland's offer sheet to Roy?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

131 92.25%
  • No

11 7.75%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers match Portland's offer sheet to Roy?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Should the Pacers match Portland's offer sheet to Roy?

Despite reports that the Pacers are 50-50 on the idea, the overwhelming sentiment here seems to be that the Pacers should match the Blazers' offer sheet to Hibbert, even though some of those people (such as myself) don't necessarily believe he's a max-level player.

So, let's break it down to the cold, hard numbers only a poll can provide.

Should the Pacers match Portland's offer sheet to Roy?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Theres not a question that hes not a max level player.

That being said, they should match. Legit 7 footers with his skillset arent easy to find. Hes an important piece to this team going forward.

However, I dont think we'll be matching.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should the Pacers match Portland's offer sheet to Roy?

If we don't match Roy we will be right back where we started- looking for young players that will have prices driven up later.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we will match and we will regret it a few years down the road

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes, we have to.

Even if this means we have to let Paul George go in a few years we have to. Roy is a top 5 center, I don't think you could say that about any other player on the Pacers at this point.

If we don't match, then Walsh and Pritchard better have ONE HELL of a backup plan (and it better NOT be Chris Kaman) or they should just packing their bags.

For that reason, we will match.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

yeah why not and if they regret it they should be able to move a la nene

Mood

If we ever regret it, there is someone else always willing to take on bad contracts for good players- like the Pacers and Barbosa.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Yes, he might not be a "max" guy, but he is worth at least 11 or 12 mil per year. So you over pay pay a couple of mil per year for a guy who works his arse off, is perfect for the community, and has improved each year since he was drafted.

Just the fact that he does so much around Indy should be reason enough to resign him over getting Kamen for a few mil less.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Let's let this group have a full training camp together and see how good they can be. If Brooklyn doesn't get Dwight I see a number 2 seed in our future if we keep Roy.

Banned
    Mood

20-0, in favor of yes.

A new way of looking at Roy. The difference between where the Pacers are and where the Blazers are is Dahntay Jones ($3,000,000.00). So, is keeping Roy worth loosing Dahntay Jones (or future players like him)?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

I voted yes. I'm 60-40 on the idea in favor, so that's my vote.

At the very least he would be an easily traded commodity at any time. There are several teams that would trade for him at any point during that contract even if we do have delayed sticker shock down the road.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll vote yes, but it doesn't bother me as much if they don't. I think the whole idea of Roy being this crazy ticket seller is a myth, I mean he's great for the hardcore Pacers fans, but casual's aren't going to go out of their way to see Roy Hibbert. He's not a max guy at all.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I want to say no, but then again I have zero faith in the FO to spend the money saved to better the team. Yea Ill be the first to say no, we should not.

Aside from the fact that he plays a premium position, the Pacers spent 4 years developing him to the point where he became an all-star. It would be a waste if we had nothing to show for that. You don't want him on the roster? Fine. Still match the offer and keep him around until you are allowed trade him and find an offer you like. The point is, a team like ours can't afford to waste an asset like Roy.

To put it lightly, I will not be comfortable if all the investment the team and fans put into Roy amount to Portland reaping the benefits.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Paul George has three seasons left on his contract. Therefore, a five year contract for Roy seems irrelevant. Most certainly adjustments can be made if necessary. I would rather have walked away from George Hill than Roy Hibbert. Hill can be replaced for less than $40,000,000.00. However, I dare you to replace Roy Hibbert.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George has three seasons left on his contract.
    Actually, he has 2.

If the Pacer's F.O. DON'T match.... .... .... Well it's been fun and I'd have to bid you great people adieu ....
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Yes, but he better play like top $ . And Vogel better find more ways of getting Roy the ball in the post. I'd hate to watch our max player never get the ball where he should. Also, I don't want to watch my 7'2"-$14,000,000 center get pushed around down low (by Glen Davis) and be ineffective (at times) in the playoffs.

If he continues to improve like he has each year so far then the big contract will be justified. If he plateaus or falls off a bit I think we'll regret it and probably wish we would of let him walk.

Don't forget that this new contract of Roy's comes with a boat load of expectations. Is Roy the type to flourish in that situation. Or will he crumble under the pressure. Remember how JOB use to effect him, and those issues that caused him to seek therapy? That wasn't too long ago.

I thought the Pacers were a little too quick to sign Hill too, and thought money would be better spent on Hibbert. I think signing Hibbert means eventually saying goodbye to Granger or West or both, if Paul George continues to develop. Roy has been remarkably durable early in his career, a credit to Roy's work ethic, but also in some part due to the organization and coaching staff managing his minutes quite well. Still, I worry about injuries for guys as big as Hibbert. Pros to signing: work ethic and desire to improve, improving statistics and offensive game, involvement in the community, fan support, national visibility and recognizability, age during next contract coincides to pros being in the primes of their careers. Cons to signing: not really what most consider to be an elite player, probably not worth a full max contract (but a "fair" value is likely close due to Roy being a top tier center), Portland is only team coming after Roy for a max contract (why not others that had money to spend?), will occupy about a quarter of the team's cap, plays a low number of minutes per game versus most NBA stars.

I would sign him versus letting him walk. Perhaps a sign and trade with another team may be in the works.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    Yes, but he better play like top $ . And Vogel better find more ways of getting Roy the ball in the post. I'd hate to watch our max player never get the ball where he should. Also, I don't want to watch my 7'2"-$14,000,000 center get pushed around down low (by Glen Davis) and be ineffective (at times) in the playoffs.

If he continues to improve like he has each year so far then the big contract will be justified. If he plateaus or falls off a bit I think we'll regret it and probably wish we would of let him walk.

Don't forget that this new contract of Roy's comes with a boat load of expectations. Is Roy the type to flourish in that situation. Or will he crumble under the pressure. Remember how JOB use to effect him, and those issues that caused him to seek therapy? That wasn't too long ago.
    There is nothing wrong with therapy, many people who are public figures use it to contextualize their experience and are better for it, it isn't a negative, and certainly isn't a sign of weakness.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post

Don't forget that there are two sides of the game, and Hibbert's presence alone does many things to help this team be much better than they are without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I'll vote yes, but it doesn't bother me as much if they don't. I think the whole idea of Roy being this crazy ticket seller is a myth, I mean he's great for the hardcore Pacers fans, but casual's aren't going to go out of their way to see Roy Hibbert. He's not a max guy at all.
    This has nothing to do with selling tickets, and everything to do with building the best basketball team possible.

I voted no, but mostly just chose an answer at random to see the results. Truth is it really depends on what other moves we are making/plan to make this year and the next. If we just struck out on every FA and had a terrible draft, which is what it feels like at this moment (could be wrong, don't have all the info, but feels like it), then I say don't re-sign, dump DG33 for the best pick we can get, dump West for the best pick we can get, and get some lotto picks going. The trouble I have with just bringing Hill and Hibbert back is... we aren't a threat to win a title. Listen, I'm not saying we gotta have the talent to be favorites... I don't think we've been favorites at any point in my entire life, but we have to at least be good enough to threaten a good run at the title, if things fall our way. Now, if this draft is secretly awesome and we got some FA's coming in and we WILL be good enough to threaten with Hibbert, then hey, let's do that up. All I want is a team with a legit CHANCE to win it all.