Thread: Orlando Johnson game film

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Orlando Johnson game film

took 10hrs half way though it crashed on me and just a second ago part 2 crashed so I will have to redo it again. I had 48 mintues of tape edited I will try to go back and do the last 30 minutes again but im a little pissed so I may not get to it for a few days.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Orlando Johnson game film

thanks for posting. Couldn't really find much of him on Youtube

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the confidence he has in his jump shot, and how he moves a lot while remaining ready to shoot. He's is tall enough, along with a high release to get his shot over people. He seems to have good court vision also.

James Harden-lite
    Last edited by rel; 07-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.

He reminds me an awful lot of Stephen Graham. His jumpshot is wet. He has good vision when he decides to use it (unlike Graham).

Yeesh... maybe I've just been watching too many highlight videos but that looked pretty bad. Not terrible, but not great handles. Not a great finisher at the rim. Did like his pull up jumper and he looks very strong.

I appreciate the editing you did, P4E, but I think I'll have to watch him in a full game context before I can get any kind of a good take on him. Since you just spent hours watching him, I'm curious what you think of him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeesh... maybe I've just been watching too many highlight videos but that looked pretty bad. Not terrible, but not great handles. Not a great finisher at the rim. Did like his pull up jumper and he looks very strong.

I appreciate the editing you did, P4E, but I think I'll have to watch him in a full game context before I can get any kind of a good take on him. Since you just spent hours watching him, I'm curious what you think of him.
    It isn't a highlight video remember that I am trying to show both the good and bad of his game. Im not in the business of ever making a mix tape or highlights lol.

The one thing you have to really remember and look at how his team is put together. The lack of a pg killed UCSB but as you will see in part 2 if he played bad his team had 0 shot of winning. I dont think he will r any under any circumstances be ask to handle the ball as much as they had him at UCSB in the NBA.

I like him quite a bit as a shooter he can make a ton of really hard shots and really good off the a few dribbles and potentially as a PnR threat I still question if he gets separation at the NBA level(he is 15lbs lighter since college though and is more athletic supposedly)

part 2 is almost complete it finishes the last game and I let it run more so you can see a few plays where Orlando really isnt getting the ball and get a better feel for what he had around him. He is really unselfish which I like but at the college level he did force it at times but I credit that to the lack of talent on his team (Paul George was the same way)

I will also say having his players play zone was questionable at best decision on the part of UCSB I didnt like they way they defend at all. But I like Johnson's potential on that side of the ball.

I will add more thoughts later I think at worst he is Brandon Rush with better passing at the NBA level. I do think he has potential with the right work ethic to change his body and get in better shape because honestly he didnt look in the best of shape and that is my main knock. I think a NBA staff could really help him get better. Kind of like Lance Stephenson when he came into the league he didnt know anything about diet or eating right (I think it was his combine interview Lance said he ate Micky Ds everyday ) He is a really smart player and Brad Stevens said he was one of his favorite guys he has ever coached.

I do see a lot of Brandon Roy(the handle isnt quite as tight any there are other key differences but that is the main one ) in his game but I don't think it all transfers in the NBA. Maybe Brandon Roy after he lost a step or 2 but then again if he truly did gain 7inches in his vert and lost 15lbs who knows how much more athletic he is now. I do think he is ready to play day one (Larry wasn't BSing in his presser ) depending on what we do in free agency I like his versatility and his passing ability will really help the 2nd unit as will his shooting as currently we dont have a shooter on the 2nd unit.

EDIT: His passing ability gets shown off quite a bit in the next few parts and his post game/mid range another guy I liken him too is Landry Fields but obviously smaller that is a better comp probably than Rush.

also had to get a fellow Hungarian in there in a positive light I made Greg Somogyi look way to good
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

If he ends up a Brandon Rush clone, I'd be very happy... talent-wise that is... not recreational activity-wise. For that late a pick, it would be a steal.

Mood

If he ends up a Brandon Rush clone, I'd be very happy... talent-wise that is... not recreational activity-wise. For that late a pick, it would be a steal.
    But the issues with this is I am projecting his defense based on playing a zone which is very hard to do. I had the same issue with Paul George Fresno played a ton of zone and hid a lot of his defensive ability but the tools are there.

And like Paul George I think he shoots better/ takes better shots at the NBA level just do to the fact he wont have the whole team focused to stop just him. But both he and Paul George at the college level showed they can take and make tough contested shots and not every small school NBA player can.

I am pretty confident his defense will be very good at the NBA level the instincts, footwork and size is there. I just cant be as certain as I would be if I had watched him play man on tape.

here is part 2

The alley oop is pretty but the dump off too Jaimé (I play like a smaller Miles Plumlee) Serna is just basketball at it's finest as well as the next play where he makes the extra pass.

I have 3 more games that I will edit 2 of them tourney games.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks for doing this. It's pretty easy to tell that UC-Santa Barbara was not a very good team. They tried to move the ball but it doesn't work for them. I'm excited for OJ to be here and be a part of the rotation.

he kinda reminds me of Arron Afflalo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

OJ will look nice coming off of Plumlee screens. I hope they look good in Summer League.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Making plays while he's searching for his shot. Love that. 4 or 5 great basketball decisions in a row, then when he spotted up in the corner I knew it was going in. Lot not to like in that first video, especially the first half, but that second video showed a broader view of his game.

Just like someone else said, he seems almost too big. Needs better conditioning or something to pick it up. Hopefully he, Miles, and Jeff do some good things in Summer League.

not recreational activity-wise.
    well he went to santa barbara, so the right comparison is probably B Rush with better weed.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It isn't a highlight video remember that I am trying to show both the good and bad of his game. Im not in the business of ever making a mix tape or highlights lol.
    That's unfortunate. I was just going to ask if you'd make a Miles Plumlee mixed tape.

I think it's impressive that Johnson was so efficient at UCSB. He played about 35 mpg and only had 2.5 turnovers. That's not bad considering the opposing teams' strategy tended to be the "swarm Orlando Johnson" defense. And his team just wasn't very good, so there are limited options when your passing the ball out. I'm excited about seeing what he does in the summer league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beezer615 View Post
    Making plays while he's searching for his shot. Love that. 4 or 5 great basketball decisions in a row, then when he spotted up in the corner I knew it was going in. Lot not to like in that first video, especially the first half, but that second video showed a broader view of his game.

Just like someone else said, he seems almost too big. Needs better conditioning or something to pick it up. Hopefully he, Miles, and Jeff do some good things in Summer League.

I accidentally cut out a big chunk of his first game(the software I am using is **** gonna upgrade) he actually almost had a triple double that game I believe 28,7,8. But yes the first half was pretty bad for him he scores in spurts (like most good scorers)

But out of the 13 games I watched he is pretty tough he plays hard every night yes he had 2 or 3 bad games but for the most part he brings it every night vs defenses that just focused on him and when he isnt scoring he can do other things. That is my pet peeve with scorers like Jamal Crawford or JR Smith Barbosa they are very one dimensional if they aren't scoring they are really hurting you.

Paul George ‏@King24George
    @Pace_O11 yessir I'm at the crib but ima come for summer league

Looks like Paul George is playing I though he was gonna be playing with team USA then?? Im guessing Bird talked him into it since Bird is coaching the SL team.

I like the idea of Orlando Johnson and Paul George playing against each other regularly in practice. I think that should benefit both players.

It's also nice to know that we have two shooting guards who can actually shoot. Both George and Johnson are quite accurate from outside.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He reminds me of Granger so much. From the way he moves, dribbles, and drives to the rim in straight angles. He even wears the same number. How ironic is that?

He could be a good rotational player but he's going to need to improve his handles and lose a little weight to make it in in the NBA. I doubt he'll play much for the Pacers this upcoming season.

If you haven't, I'd recommend reading the TBird writeup on Orlando in addition to watching the game tape:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...rlando-Johnson
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    He reminds me of Granger so much. From the way he moves, dribbles, and drives to the rim in straight angles. He even wears the same number. How ironic is that?

He could be a good rotational player but he's going to need to improve his handles and lose a little weight to make it in in the NBA. I doubt he'll play much for the Pacers this upcoming season.
    I dont see the Granger comp at all. Especially dribbling Orlando's handle isnt good but it isnt on Granger's level bad. I mean 90% of the time OJ has his head up which is a big issue for Granger. I also dont see why he wont be a rotation player he may only average 10-15mpg but he is more ready to play at the NBA level than Plumlee. I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't crack the rotation but im pretty high on him he has starters upside imo. Also the main difference between Granger is super stiff he rarely gets low Johnson plays lower IMO (for Granger his size helps off set the stiffness/ how tall he plays.

OJ's skill set will get him PT IMO(no one on our team has a skill set like his)

I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time I was really high on Jeff Pendergraph wanted to trade back for him a few years ago liked him as a prospect so much better than Tyler Hans and we all see how he turned out(although I will say in the right situation I still think he is a solid rotation guy im a little stubborn ). But I also said Paul George would be starting by the end of his rookie year when many said he was a big time project and likely wouldn't help the team in his first few seasons.

Mood

part 3 I like this part probably the best of them all he shows real mental toughness. He clearly has his D or C game at best his shot was off yet still is effective and closes the game out for his team he really steps up in the final 8 minutes and the score is reflective of that(it really shows how bad UCSB was) .

In the NBA you will go though slumps but I like his ability to play though them which a lot of scorers struggle to do.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I've seen every Orlando Johnson game at UCSB and I've worked with him so you guys are free to ask me anything. He's a great guy and it would be an honor to try to get you guys hyped up for him and what he's about.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thequestionmark123 For This Useful Post:

Mood

The whole city of Santa Barbara just became Pacer Fans. I know that's not saying much, but it's seurprising to see the Pacer buzz around town. Can't wait to see OJ in action this upcoming season!

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    thanks for posting. Couldn't really find much of him on Youtube
    Since I am new to this message board, it won't allow me to post a URL link. If you go to Youtube and type in "dakyne62", you'll get to the Gaucho Hoops channel. Type in "Orlando Johnson" in the channel search box, and you should see about 30 videos of OJ. There are many other UCSB game videos in the channel, but they are rather lengthy.

FYI, you guys got a steal.