Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

  1. #1

    Default Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    ou've got to be kidding me. Really? These tweets can't be serious can they? Berger and Co. have to be making this stuff up, right? Berger: Others have touched on this, but Blazers have nothing but contempt for Minnesota's bid for RFA Nicolas Batum. Sorry, Nic, you're staying. John Canzano: Paul Allen "livid" with Minnesota's pursuit of Nic Batum. Feels they're in this only to drive Portland's price higher. This is the same franchise that offered "toxic," front-loaded contracts to try to ensure the Utah Jazz wouldn't match for Paul Milsap and Wes Matthews. This is the same franchise that set the "overpay" precedent this offseason by offering Roy Hibbert (a non-max player) a max contract. Contempt? Livid? And what emotions do you think other fans/front offices have felt while Portland attempts to annually pillage their rosters with offers of overpriced/toxic contracts? Overpaying is a common theme in free agency that will eventually haunt NBA owners in collective bargaining. Overpaying, I think most NBA fans can handle because it's such a prominent element when dealing with desperate teams and sophisticated/wheeling-and-dealing agents. Overpaying with a complete disregard for how your past and current actions may affect other NBA teams/moves? That's just myopia of epic proportions. No one feels bad for you Paul and Neil. As the old saying goes, "you reap what you sow." Gotta love NBA free agency.
    Source: Indy Cornrows

    Funny how the universe works, still sucks they put us in this position. I'm almost to the point of saying let Roy walk, in all reality he hasnt nor will ever put up the numbers that justify that loot.
    "Did we learn anything?"-Jonathan Ames

    "No, but thats okay, It's a good thing to stay in the dark about things - it keeps life more interesting."- George Christopher


  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady#6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the same franchise that offered "toxic," front-loaded contracts to try to ensure the Utah Jazz wouldn't match for Paul Milsap and Wes Matthews.
    As I've been saying, Portland is going to poison pill the Pacers too. If possible with max contracts, it will either be a front loaded or back loaded contract, whichever they think we will be most likely to pass on.

    Another thought; If it was back loaded with most of the money in the final two years that would help us now. Say it's 10-10-19-19, we could sign him and take the first two years to rework our roster, or trade him. Of course we might not be able to trade him in two years because everyone will be trying to get under or stay under the luxury tax. The front office will have to bear that in mind.

    So it will probably be front loaded, designed to hurt us now. Actually who knows!
    Last edited by Will Galen; 07-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I've been saying, Portland is going to poison pill the Pacers too. It will either be a front loaded or back loaded contract, whichever they think we will be most likely to pass on.
    It can't be front loaded or back loaded. The max contract is based on the first year's salary. The most they can offer Roy is $13.6M for the first year with raises of 4.5%. The $58M is the total the max salary and max raises generate. It is not a max number that the contract adds up to. The poison pill, front loaded, back loaded stuff only works with contracts that are less than the max.

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I've been saying, Portland is going to poison pill the Pacers too. It will either be a front loaded or back loaded contract, whichever they think we will be most likely to pass on.
    Wouldn't the contract be less than max if it's front or back loaded?

  6. #5
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    I hope everyone who was worried about Pritchard is paying attention to what an *** Paul Allen really is.

    [edit] Also, I must say, Nic Batum for $11-12M per makes me feel better about Roy for $14.5M.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 07-06-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It can't be front loaded or back loaded. The max contract is based on the first year's salary. The most they can offer Roy is $13.6M for the first year with raises of 4.5%. The $58M is the total the max salary and max raises generate. It is not a max number that the contract adds up to. The poison pill, front loaded, back loaded stuff only works with contracts that are less than the max.
    Okay, thanks. I used to run my own spreadsheet and stay up to date on this kind of stuff, but the way the NBA is now days, I'm no longer interested enough to think about the obvious.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    That brings up a question though. If a max contract is set in stone like that why would the front office need to read the contract before deciding to match? That's whats being said.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,278
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Well HA ****ING HA, JACKASS.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  13. #9
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That brings up a question though. If a max contract is set in stone like that why would the front office need to read the contract before deciding to match? That's whats being said.
    I think for starters we dont even know what a max contact is. Other than that this talkmeans nothing till roy actually signs the contract and 2 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes have passed. I think portland had the cap hit until we match, so if we're going to match we wait as long as possible to f portland.
    Danger Zone

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Cant help but wonder if donnie walsh's old buddy Kahn just added a little something something to get at Allen and company for the deal they obviously made to screw with pritchard....a little what comes around goes around....pacers will match...all you afraid they wont should relax....this is personal for allen and portland kinda overplayed their hand...roys agent is just doing is job....and its business for roy and agent...roy never wanted to go anywhere and the pacers never wanted him to go anywhere...if they feel theyre overpaying then they will do so and maybe trade him in the future...its really that simple...

  16. #11
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    1. We DO know what a max contract is.

    2. As Wells explained, there's apparently a way to 'almost max' Roy and therefore use signing bonuses to front load the deal, which they may or may not have done in Portland with Roy's offer. Apparently, the Pacers don't know either way until the 11th. What confuses me is why wouldn't Roy's agent tell Indiana what the structure is to speed up a decision either way?

  17. #12

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    What Portland is trying to say is wolves dont really want him they just know ptown will match anything so there makin em pay more then they want to. Which i think is opposite to hibbert cuz i think they really do want him and not just trying to make us pay max. Only real way u get RFAs is to overpay.u guys get mad at people goin our rfa but everyone wanted gordon, so i see no difference

  18. #13
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    2. As Wells explained, there's apparently a way to 'almost max' Roy and therefore use signing bonuses to front load the deal, which they may or may not have done in Portland with Roy's offer. Apparently, the Pacers don't know either way until the 11th. What confuses me is why wouldn't Roy's agent tell Indiana what the structure is to speed up a decision either way?
    What makes u think roys agent hasnt told indiana? what makes u think a decision hasnt been made? just because they havent announced a decision doesnt mean they havent made one....the pacers have been in the catbirds seat from the very beginning...why give that up? its actually beneficial for the pacers to let teams-especially portland-think theyre undecided on whether to match....and even moreso to let portland think theyre gonna get hibbert...if they say theyre matching then portland goes out and talks to other free agents...free agents the pacers could very well have an interest in....this way portland is constrained from doing much in that regard, even moreso if they believe they will get hibbert....portland is dying to know what the pacers are gonna do....just like all the fans are....walsh and pritchard know what theyre doing...and theyre not telling anyone...and theres many many good reasons for not doing such...and outside of putting ur fears to rest, theres no good reason to tell anyone what theyre doing until they actually do it...and i dont look for them to do anything until the very last hour...thus getting back at paul allen and company as decisions will likely have been made on most of the desirable free agents by then and the blazers will be left pretty empty handed...

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    assuming 58 mio, max signing bonus is 10% of that, counted over the duration -minus option years so in this case 4 years.

    which means cap hits remain the same and salary is lowered by 5.8 * 0.25 = 1.45 so first year hit would be 5.8 - 1.45 = 4.35 mio on top of the starting salary
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  21. #15
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Portland getting a taste of its own medicine, and not liking it

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes u think roys agent hasnt told indiana? what makes u think a decision hasnt been made?
    Mike Wells. David Aldridge.

Similar Threads

  1. Bird and Simon are liking what they're seeing
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
  2. Rockets' Yao to use traditional Chinese medicine [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
  3. Laughter, daily medicine.
    By Romsey31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
  4. I'm liking these shirts!!!
    By sweabs in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •