Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tbird's 2014 offseason preview #1: Potential trade targets...some outside the box

Default Tbird's 2014 offseason preview #1: Potential trade targets...some outside the box

Hello all! It is back to be re-joining the world of Pacersdigest this summer.

Today I take a look at some potential trade targets for the Pacers this summer that I feel would be great fits, be affordable and at least somewhat realistic to acquire. Some of course, are more realistic than others! Mostly, I have tried to come up with low paid, younger guys who would fit in well with our current system and style of play, yet would have some upside for a big future playing alongside Paul George. I am not going to speculate on what it would take to get these particular players, instead I'll let you use your imaginations on how that could possibly happen.

These guys all I believe share the common trait of either being underpaid, or undervalued, with their current teams. I will put them in no particular order for the purposes of this piece, which is meant to be thought provoking and to get our creative juices flowing.

1. EVAN FOURNIER, DENVER

Fournier is a young and athletic guard from France. So far for the Nuggets he hasn't shown a lot, but I believe the potential is there for him to breakout this season. I think he has an upside of about 90% Bradley Beal if given a regular role and minutes as he matures. I love him and think he is attainable. While I said above that I won't speculate on how we could acquire people in this article, I do believe Brian Shaw would value some of our current players more than other teams would.

2. TY LAWSON, DENVER

Keeping with our Denver theme, I bring up Lawson, who we know Bird coveted when he came out in the draft. Does Lawson fit with Brian Shaw, who is known to prefer a more halfcourt game, and bigger more defensive minded guards? I am not sure if Lawson would truly be available or not, but I think discussions with Denver are worth pursuing.

3. TIMOFEY MOZGOV, DENVER

Our last Nugget, Mozgov has a big fan in our front office, the venerable Donnie Walsh signed him with the Knicks and is known to like him. He is more of an offensive center, so I wonder if Denver would prefer a more defensive oriented big man....Denver obviously matches up well with some of our needs, in my view.

4. DENNIS SCHROEDER, ATLANTA

I'm not sure what Atlanta is doing exactly, but with Teague being a young and dynamic point guard, it is hard to see how Schroeder will get a lot of time for the Hawks. If we got involved somehow with discussions with the Hawks, I'd try and pry Schroeder away from them.

5. AL HORFORD, ATLANTA

Again, the Hawks are a mystery to me. They did pretty well without Horford, who is expensive coming off an injury. Would he be available in some sort of sign and trade or mega deal somehow with multiple teams? I love Horford and always have, and think he could play alongside Hibbert or as his backup, which would save us roster space and make us a much more flexible type of team.....which I think we have to become.

6. MARQUIS TEAGUE, BROOKLYN

The Nets have no interest seemingly in developing a young guy, and money appears to be no object for them. Any deal with the Nets would end up involving other people, but I'd like to take a flyer on Teague, who basically did nothing with the Nets this year....but I like his upside and athleticism, and he is an Indianapolis native.

7. DION WAITERS, CLEVELAND

Cleveland is somewhat clueless, and that's the type of team you need to take advantage of. Waiters is explosive and talented, though he doesn't seem to get along with Kyrie Irving. Would they move Waiters for a veteran of some kind in a "win now" kind of move? We should explore talks just to see what they are thinking.

8. KANTAVIOUS CALDWELL POPE, DETROIT

Young guy obviously basically unproven. Now he is playing for man in Stan Van Gundy that didn't select him and has no attachment to him. Would they be willing to dump him for less than he is worth? I don't know, but I like his shooting ability and upside.

9. HARRISON BARNES, GOLDEN STATE

The Warriors are in search of a new direction, and Barnes might be a piece that doesn't quite fit for them. For us I think he could be a 3-4 swing man type guy, who could play minutes backing up both Paul George and David West. I like Barnes and think he could fit well here, as long as he continues to improve. I can see Golden State moving him for a more defensive minded back up big, which we happen to have.

10. DRAYMOND GREEN, GOLDEN STATE

Similar to Barnes I guess in his role, I like his game and intangibles. With a new coach in Steve Kerr, it is unclear to me how Green and Barnes will fit in there, but they seem somewhat duplicative to me. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them is made available.

11. ISAIAH CANAAN, HOUSTON

As the Rockets look to save cap space and make moves to try and add one more star, I wouldn't be shocked if Canaan would be made available for a non guaranteed draft pick or the rights to a foreign player the Rockets can stash. Canaan has no role in Houston with Beverly and Jeremy Lin being there currently, and I liked him in last year's draft.

12. REGGIE BULLOCK, LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

The Clips are in ownership turmoil, so they may have troubles making a deal of any kind, but we should explore trying to steal Bullock from them, who will struggle to get time with Doc Rivers much preferring to play veterans. Bullock is a "3 and D" type that I think makes some sense for us at least stylistically. He is cheap, comes from a winning program, and is young.

13. MIKE CONLEY, MEMPHIS

I highly doubt that Conley is available, but we should at least check on him. Some sort of sign and trade would be the only way we could acquire him probably, but I doubt we have the resources to get him.....unless Randolph leaves them, then that might open up an avenue....we will see. Still, Conley is the type of player we need going forward, quick, more of a ball dominant point guard, and it helps that he is from Indianapolis.

14. JOHN HENSON, MILWAUKEE

Henson is skinny as a rail, but I like his potential upside as a more athletic 4 man, and we need to think about what type of guy we want after West is done here. Milwaukee is a garbage fire, and you never know what kinds of moves they want to make. Likely, Henson would be part of a bigger deal with the Bucks, but if we indeed make some sort of move with them then we need to insist on Henson, in my opinion.

15. J.J. BAREA, MINNESOTA

Barea would be a nice piece off our bench, and he has a championship pedigree. He can't be happy playing in Minnesota, and I think his play has reflected that. But put him on a contender and I think he can be factor again.

16. GORGUI DIENG, MINNESOTA

If I were the Timberwolves, Dieng would be my starting center, as I think he is an almost perfect fit next to Kevin Love....no way would I move Dieng. BUT, if they are pressured in to making some sort of move for veterans to appease Kevin Love and to make a push for the playoffs, I think Dieng would be available. If so, we should explore that. Dieng looked very very good to me last year when he actually got playing time.

17. AARON AFFLALO, ORLANDO

I would bet big money that Orlando moves Afflalo at some point in July. If they draft Dante Exum, then they could move Victor Oladipo to the 2 guard spot where he belongs....which is exactly what I think they'll do. I've been a huge fan of Afflalo forever, and if I had had my way a few years ago we would have acquired him from Detroit before Denver did. Afflalo could defend the opponents best wing some of the time at least, freeing up and saving the wear and tear on Paul George. I have no idea how to do it, but I'd target Afflalo in any sign and trade scenario involving Lance that may occur in early July.

18. MAURICE HARKLESS, ORLANDO

It is hard to see how Harkless fits in with the Magic, and he remains very raw. But I see a ton of potential that is untapped in him, and I love his athleticism and toughness. He is a big upside play, but I have no idea how Orlando values him.

19. C.J. MCCOLLUM, PORTLAND

If you want to see a team who would consider trading a young guy for someone over priced, it could be the deep pockets of Paul Allen and the Trailblazers. McCollum doesn't fit yet with the Blazers, who probably feel they need a veteran type to keep pushing them ahead in the ultra competitive west. I see McCollum as more of a combo guard than I like instead of a pure point guard, but he is very young, seems to be a guy who can score, would be cheap, and would seem to be a good fit in our current system.

20. ALEC BURKS, UTAH

I really liked Burks in the draft, but he hasn't quite been as good as I thought he would be playing in the dumpster fire that is Utah. The Jazz have a new staff that has no investment in him, and he would seem to lack the kind of deep perimeter shooting that that particular staff would covet. I think Burks could be had in a deal of some sort by someone, could it be Indiana?

21. OTTO PORTER, WASHINGTON

Porter did bubkis for the Wizards in his rookie year, being a major disappointment in D.C. With the Wizards having dreams of making a move in the East toward the elite level, would they dump Porter for a veteran or a song? I think they might.....I still believe in Porter's elite defensive length and potential, and playing in a strong culture in Indianapolis I think could help him. The Wizards have a need for backup point guard, so a potential match is there perhaps with us (along with many other teams admittedly).

As always, the above is just my opinion.

Tbird

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to thunderbird1245 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tbird's 2014 offseason preview #1: Potential trade targets...some outside the box

I wonder how many of these teams would be interested in Hill or Hibbert? I would think these two have to be the two most likely pieces in a significant trade.

I would LOVE Conley, Horford or Draymond Green

No thanks to Teague, or Burks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tbird's 2014 offseason preview #1: Potential trade targets...some outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These guys all I believe share the common trait of either being underpaid, or undervalued, with their current teams. I will put them in no particular order for the purposes of this piece, which is meant to be thought provoking and to get our creative juices flowing.Tbird
    Yikes! There's been so much "creative juice" flowing already around here, some guys are gonna have to wipe their screens off.

The majority of your suggestions, Tbird, gives rise to a key question: "Where in the life cycle should we be targeting for a key acquisition?" Developmental? Ready to lead? Journeyman in his prime? Ringless old vet?

Put another way, do we have a realistic window for a championship NEXT year?
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Mood

Very insightful and well put as always. Glad to see you are back.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

I believe that we need to find some impact players... We have struck out the last two seasons in regards to the bench acquisitions... Would like to actually find someone who will contribute, irregardless of where they fall n the developmental cycle...
    2013-2014 Pacer fan's asperations...

Sports Logo

The only players that I think are attainable are Barea, Canaan and maybe Marquis Teague through the use of a TPE.

The only way that I can see any of these Players tradeable via some Trade of one of the Starters.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Harkless or Barnes would also be wonderful additions to our club. I wouldn't mind adding them as depth. Ultimately I am looking for a new center, however even as bad as I want Roy gone even I wouldn't give him up for Mosgov.
    Last edited by Peck; 06-12-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys on rookie deals are especially hard to pry away, even if they aren't untouchables. "dumping" them simply does not happen since they are making pennies on the dollar anyhow.

I don't see any reason for SVG to trade KCP, even if he isn't thrilled with him. It would have to be in a trade for a legit player.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-12-2014 at 06:53 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Gorgui Dieng is tops on my list to try and get via trade. That would free up trading Hibbert. I'd have Dieng starting day 1.

Reggie Jackson should be on that list too. He wants to start, and he's primed for a Bledsoe type breakout season.

Aaron Affalo is one guy I'd like to get if the Pacers don't keep Lance.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qyvad2v Then just get a 3rd team involved that wants Lance, and work a way to get Affalo.

Reggie Jackson
    Aaron Affalo
    PG24
    West
    Dieng

Watson
    Hill
    Corey Brewer
    Cope
    Kendrick Perkins

That could spell winner to me. I think that can get the Pacers over the hump.

Why? Affalo is the type of shooter the Pacers have needed for a few years now. A lights out shooter. Brewer gives the Pacers what they haven't had for awhile either. A legitimate backup wing defender (who's offensive game has come around a little bit). Reggie Jackson could be a better defender than Hill and won't have issues against quicker guards....also primed for a breakout year. Would allow Hill to go to a 6th man role, where I think he'll find more success coming off the bench as a sg rather than playing pg, where he's stressed he's not a pg. Dieng is athletic and will allow the Pacers to run more than that can with slow bigs West and Hibbert.

Perkins expires allowing the Pacers to re-sign Jackson.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 06-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

I'll have to read up on Dieng, this board is crazy high on him. I do not remember seeing him in the NBA. Is it the kid out of Louisville?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'll have to read up on Dieng, this board is crazy high on him. I do not remember seeing him in the NBA. Is it the kid out of Louisville?
    He only started a handful of games and had 2 20 rebound games in his rookie season. He's going to be a double double machine, or at the very least a taller Ben Wallace.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

TY LAWSON damn near made me drool..oh to have him on our team

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Hes a bulldog, big fan! Need to get some bigs who. Can run to max his impact.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Guys on rookie deals are especially hard to pry away, even if they aren't untouchables. "dumping" them simply does not happen since they are making pennies on the dollar anyhow.
    Yup. Which rules out about 80% of tbird's list

Exception: Guys nearing the end of their rookie contracts, or whose options aren't picked up by their teams. That's how we got Evan Turner after all. Guys possibly in this category: Burks, Teague (already has been traded!), and Fournier maybe.

Will you do draft prospects this year, Thunderbird? The draft doesn't feel right without those threads. Even without a Pacers pick, it would still be awesome.

Sports Logo

If you want a young athletic rebounding shotblocker....a Player that I think is under the radar and could be had ( simply cuz he is stuck behind Nene and Gortat ) is Kevin Seraphin with the Wizards. He's a RFA....but with Nene and Gortat in front of him in the rotation....I'd go after him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hear the Pacer were interested in him out of college. They graded his knees very bad, I was told no way the Pacers draft him. Not sure now, a couple of years later.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Ya, after reading the Miami "big 4" thread, this got me so excited at all the interesting young pieces we could add. Of course we probably won't. And when I think about it, it kind of sucks that we are looking at "underpaid, or undervalued" players and Miami is looking at adding Melo.

Either way, Tbird I love when you post. Like you said it certainly got the imagination going. Fun to think about some good new players on the team, some new hope, and the excitement of watching new players next season. I always like seeing a new player for the first game.

whilst it is tempting to make trades in this thread i still say they go in the tradeforum, this post is to discuss the players, the options, the reasons, but as TBird said, "I am not going to speculate on what it would take to get these particular players, instead I'll let you use your imaginations on how that could possibly happen." and that does not really include running amok on a trade machine, just discuss the options and what it MAY take, no need to show it works out or not, all that happens in that case is we get 200 posts of people who want to trade away their east favorite player, let's try and see how we can get the best Pacers team.

outside the box, thank you tbird
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

I mentioned the other day I hoped the Pacers could get Isaiah Canaan. He was one of my favorites in last years draft.

Dieng was another favorite of mine last years draft as I watched alot him at Louisville, but I knew the Pacers had no chance of getting him.

Alex Burks interests me. I liked him the year he was drafted.

Arron Afflalo is a player I'd like to see the Pacers get when another team signs Stephenson to a ridiculous contract.

I've always liked Mozgov, and for Mahimni's money even more so.

Another Nugget I've always liked is Wilson Chandler. I advocated getting him when he came back from China.

I have no interest in Barea.

Reggie Bullock seems to be a duplication of what Solo is suppose to be.

Otto Porter interests me, but John Henson doesn't.

I liked Withey when he was at Kansas. I liked his length and shot blocking ability. Make a b/u center for the Pacers.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I would like us to pursue Kyle Lowery. UFA -Raptors

I would also look to see if Milwaukee would be interested in Roy for Larry Sanders and fillers

Dream scenario : Package George Hill, Solomon Hill, (cap relief picks for Rajon Rondo )
    Sittin on top of the world!

Someone I haven't seen mentioned is Goran Dragic. I think if PHX is serious about locking up Bledsoe then they will move Dragic. Yes they played well at times together this past season but I don't think PHX can afford to be paying 2 PGs starter $. He isn't known as a lock-down defender but he isn't a liability either. Definitely fits the bill of a top flight PG that can create for himself or others and can shoot it from deep.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I would also look to see if Milwaukee would be interested in Roy for Larry Sanders and fillers
    I'm not sure I'd trade a head-case for a head-case with an attitude

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Minnesota loses Love, they can start Pekovich and Dieng. Not sure if they are in a hurry to trade him
    David "And One" West

I advocated Burks last year as he's a better version of Evan Turner. I think he can be had but if Lance resigns then I don't see how the Pacers can get him. Affalo is another one who fits in well. We know Bird loves Lawson so I think he will push for him by trying to move Hill and Solo but that probaly won't be enough. Ed Davis and Aminou are free agents and possible options.