Thread: You Can't Teach Or Put a Price On Character, Loyalty, and Role Models

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default You Can't Teach Or Put a Price On Character, Loyalty, and Role Models

This thread is in response to comments regarding a Paul George/ Eric Gordon trade (and will digress into my thoughts on the FO, and my temporary departure from Pacers Digest):

I believe Eric Gordon and George Hill want to spend the rest of their careers in Indiana if possible. I like the idea, EXCEPT for Gordon's health concerns. THAT BEING SAID, Paul George, if surrounded by the right role models, will be the better player, IMO. It is completely natural that Paul will want to be with his family, so he will look to LA (?) his whole career, unless he has the right reasons to want to move his family where he is currently.

They are human, its not that complicated.

Larry Bird built this team on character, loyalty, and role models. With that said, I am really warming up to Miles Plumlee (loyalty and character). He was the right pick for this team. To this point, at the time, David West was the best acquisition for this team (I think one of the best character guys/role models in the NBA right now).

Larry Bird is glowing in interviews because he trusts what he has built: Therefore, I trust Walsh and Pritchard to carry the torch, and continue to build on character and loyalty. Also, I saw an interview with Larry Bird and some ESPN analyst I didn't know last night. It was short, but it contained some of the most enlightening comments (by Bird) on Miami's Big Three (and thus the state of the league) that I have ever heard.

I love the Pacers, because I am the Pacers. Why do you love them?

Peace,
    Ratkin(g)
    Last edited by Ratking; 07-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Default Re: You Can't Teach Or Put a Price On Character, Loyalty, and Role Models

Your faith in Morway to carry the torch may be shaken a bit...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: You Can't Teach Or Put a Price On Character, Loyalty, and Role Models

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your faith in Morway to carry the torch may be shaken a bit...
    Fixed

The title is really the main reason, I'd match Roy's offer. I know thats off from what the OP intended, but its the piece I keep coming back to. I'm pretty much of this mindset, I do not think Roy is worth the money Portland is offering based on what he can do tangibly on the court. I do however put alot of stock into being a leader for your team, but being a guy a community can rally around. Whats that worth? Maybe the combination is worth the max.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

One last thing, in case I dont have time to return for some time (busy): I believe many of you have all mis-judged Royce White (with lots of help from the ignorant media). I believe he will be one of the best players in this draft class, and if given the right work environment, I believe he can he a HOFer (ceiling is a LeBron James with less regrets).

Just a hunch.

Edit: I mis-spoke on LeBron's "character", I am exhausted. He is indomitable, and a great role model.
    Last edited by Ratking; 07-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sure you can.

Obviously it raises his value, but just because they are high character guys doesn't make them worth the max. I'd give it to Hibbert because he is one of the few legit Centers in this league, a good defender, and still young. His character is all a major plus for me, but not the reason why I'd match his offer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Sure you can.

Obviously it raises his value, but just because they are high character guys doesn't make them worth the max. I'd give it to Hibbert because he is one of the few legit Centers in this league, a good defender, and still young. His character is all a major plus for me, but not the reason why I'd match his offer.
    Awesome response.

Remember what Hibbert said during the Heat series? "Built not bought" wish he actually believed his own words. Cause right now he is willing to be bought.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Remember what Hibbert said during the Heat series? "Built not bought" wish he actually believed his own words. Cause right now he is willing to be bought.
    I believe it is well within his human rights to explore options. I've never visited myself, but I only hear great things about Portland. I think Hibbert will love the culture there. What can the Pacers offer to make it worth staying? I've never been to Indianapolis either, but I'm sure I'd love it, and I think Hibbert clearly does. I trust Hibberts value's. He is a fighter.

Why did Kevin Durant sign an extension in Oklahoma City? What seperates Durant as a role model versus Lebron?

I say role models. Nothing more.

Mood

Sports Logo

For those too focused on trying to figure me out, I am a New York born Native American-Greek mutt. Im 23 years old, and I've loved the Indiana Pacers all my life. I love learning about what I love, hence why I love this site. You all just need to relax in terms of rapid reactions to every bit of BS the media is feeding you. Trust your natural processes. We love the Pacers, because we love the people in the organization. Its an organization rich in character, loyalty, and role models. Sheesh for real, smell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    Also, I saw an interview with Larry Bird and some ESPN analyst I didn't know last night. It was short, but it contained some of the most enlightening comments (by Bird) on Miami's Big Three (and thus the state of the league) that I have ever heard.
    What was the enlightening comments?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to edc For This Useful Post: