Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is contraction of 20-30% of the league, the only outcome of the SuperTeam Movement

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is contraction of 20-30% of the league, the only outcome of the SuperTeam Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody is forcing Orlando to make this deal, and they're idiots if they do.

They can get more than this garbage from any number of teams that just want to rent dwight for a year.
    No, they can't and that offer isn't garbage. There is some wood in there. Orlando is not going to be as good when Howard leaves no matter what they get. I find it funny that some people, like you, think the offer is garbage and others think they are giving way more than Howard's value to get him. I think the truth is probably somewhere inbetween the two views......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is contraction of 20-30% of the league, the only outcome of the SuperTeam Movement

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    There will never be competitive balance in the NBA, the money streams forbid it. There won't be any contraction either. People still buy these franchises and most CLAIM to lose money but the value of the team keeps going up and up. Some of these teams and this includes the Pacers lose money because they want to lose money. If you see the books, you will see family members getting paid for supposed services but on some teams, that is just a sham. They lose money on paper but not really when you factor in the increasing value of the team......
    Good point olblu

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    assuming he wins a championship, he'll break even. This is not at all about money to him, it's about raising his profile and having a shiny new toy to brag about.
    He is in New York and he is going to make lots of money with this team with or without a championship........

Quote Originally Posted by *astrisk* View Post
    I hope they make him suffer..
    At this point Orlando should just Bench him for the whole year to make a point.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Wake up, the league has never had competitive balance. Nothing has changed. There won't ever be (significant) contraction.

Mood

No.

You guys are acting like Miami steamrolled through and just dominated us or any other team (especially in the east).

The heat are one way to build a team, a risky one actually, demonstrated by Bosh's injury that almost cost them a title. We can compete with them if we continue to improve and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    ...The heat are one way to build a team, a risky one actually...
    Risky due to depth, and also risky because you clear the decks and then the guys who you wanted do not come.

The Heat succeeded.
    The Knicks failed miserably with the same idea.
    The Nets and Mavs are trying it now, and maybe the Hawks as well.

This team-building method is thus 1-1 and may be 1-3 or 1-4 soon.

The Heat are the only success story. Some might point to the Celtics, but the trades for KG and RA depended upon a prior string of effective draft picks to use as capital.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

You know what would be really bad? What if a HOF PG and HOF center agreed to play for 10 years together while adding 2-3 other all-stars to the team. You'd never overcome that said Magic-Jabbar-Worthy. Then Bird-Parrish-McHale called and said this new super-team movement was unprecedented BS that would ruin the league. "I agree" said the Twin Towers of Houston. Total crap said Mo-Dr J-Cheeks. It's only a matter of years before the Pacers and Kings fold said The Bad Boys.

Did NBA history just get erased or something? 2-3 mega-stars on the title contenders has always been the norm, even BEFORE AND DURING EXPANSION. Maybe it's the less organic feel of it, but ultimately this is how teams are made up. And really at some point how many of these guys are mega-stars if 8 teams all have 3 of them?

All the Nets are doing is replacing the Magic in the East, and it's possibly dismantling the Hawks along the way.

The Pacers have 3 all-stars on their team as well. The Cavs must hate how we bought our title run with the West signing and the Hill acquisition thanks to cap space. Freaking big market Pacers throwing money around. And now they've talked to Nash and Kaman, and might even keep Hibbert AND sign someone else? Sickening.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I missed the other times where 3 of the best players in the league were all obtained (or retained) by a single team in 1-2 seasons, all by unrestricted free agency (realizing that technically the Heat acquired Lebron by trade). This is new. and hard to pull off.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned
    Mood

No.

You guys are acting like Miami steamrolled through and just dominated us or any other team (especially in the east).

The heat are one way to build a team, a risky one actually, demonstrated by Bosh's injury that almost cost them a title. We can compete with them if we continue to improve and grow.
    They did dominate the Pacers as soon as they adjusted to the loss of Bosh..... Nothing close after that. James almost beat the Pacers by himself.....

Mood

If ands and butts don't fly. The final game was competitive, they blew us out once, at their home, and Granger was out. We were winning when Bosh went out btw too. The Heat were better, but they certainly didn't "dominate us" for any more than one game, and if that counts as "domination" then we dominated them too by virtue of game 3. Game 1 could have gone either way, ditto to games 2 and 4, the final game was no blowout either.

As Wade declines and our team improves (despite what you say we do have more room for improvement than the heat, not to mention closing the experience gap) Miami will certainly not be some unstoppable juggernaut.

Or, let me guess you put the moment they "got over losing bosh" as game 5, and would have said the same thing about any moment the pacers faultered to the Heat.

You seem pretty trollish in just about every thread you post in, i'll have to keep an eye out, but if it becomes more apparent I may have my first member on ignore.

Banned
    Mood

If ands and butts don't fly. The final game was competitive, they blew us out once, at their home, and Granger was out. We were winning when Bosh went out btw too. The Heat were better, but they certainly didn't "dominate us" for any more than one game, and if that counts as "domination" then we dominated them too by virtue of game 3. Game 1 could have gone either way, ditto to games 2 and 4, the final game was no blowout either.

As Wade declines and our team improves (despite what you say we do have more room for improvement than the heat, not to mention closing the experience gap) Miami will certainly not be some unstoppable juggernaut.

Or, let me guess you put the moment they "got over losing bosh" as game 5, and would have said the same thing about any moment the pacers faultered to the Heat.

You seem pretty trollish in just about every thread you post in, i'll have to keep an eye out, but if it becomes more apparent I may have my first member on ignore.
    Be my guest But the Pacers don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the Heat. If Howard had not been out, Orlando might have swept the Pacers and certainly would have beat them badly. We don't match up well with teams that have a superstar much less three of them. Wade is years from a major decline. James is the best player in the game with a will to win that not many can match, certainly not the Pacers. If those opinions and straight talk make me a troll, ignore me. I think the crap that you put out is trollish too so I am just decide to ignore you........

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would some of you be complaining about competitive balance needing fixed if we had okc's roster? What of we get a couple stars and cant keep them because the league needed "fixed?"

Some of the negativity on here is truly amazing considering the season we just had.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post: