Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Pacers resign George Hill - 5 year deal

Default Re: Pacers resign George Hill - 5 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is it a good or a bad deal for Hill as a player, that's an entirely different topic. now is Hill as a player worth 5/~38? i don't know. anyway, I think it's way too early to go there yet. we don't even know if the 5th year is guaranteed.

what i disagree with, it's this post, where you said that the 5th year somehow shows they overpaid compared to the market, or didn't do their research:

it's entirely possible some team called and inquired about 4/32.
    heck, maybe even 3/27. If you are the Cavs or the Bobcats, why wouldn't you do that? You need exactly someone like Hill, your rookies are locked up for another 3 years, you don't need your cap yet, if you can years, it makes perfect sense.

if we had to match that, we'd be screwed. Goodbye midlevels in the near future.
    I didn't see this post prior to my previous reply. Let me clarify my position. I assumed they set there own contract because no one else can offer a 5 th year. Ultimately you are correct that it is possible they added a 5th year to lower the annual cap number of someone elses shorter offer. We have heard nothing to indicate that, but it is possible. Either way I believe it to be a mistake - either setting there own price or extending to 5 years to slightly lower the overall cap hit. I don't believe it wise to be locked in for 5 years to a backup PG - however we got here. This is of course assuming the contract is 5/40 as is being suggested.
    Last edited by rm1369; 07-04-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Better clarify my position and to not appear antagonistic

Banned

@AlexKennedyNBA: George Hill's five-year deal with the Indiana Pacers is worth $40 million, according to league source.

8 mil a year damn.

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too much.
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

Waaaay too much
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Banned

I think this means that he is our starting point guard next year, you don't pay that kind of money for a backup.

I think I'd rather offer Dragic that contract.

Oh well.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Put me on the list of people who think this is a mistake. Too much, too long.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barring us surprising the world and signing Steve Nash, I believe you are correct. And unless we sign a really good backup 3 or a starting caliber 2, I think Hill will get full starters minutes and DC will spend about half of his time at the SG spot playing with Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's about what I figured. A little high, but nothing outrageous. I was hoping for 35, so I won't cry because it crept up to 38 or 40. It's not like we lost our minds and gave him 50 or anything wild.

Anyone who thinks overpaying him by 1 or 1.5 a year is going to somehow break our team is crazy.

I don't feel it will break the team, but I feel it's ridiculous to overpay Hill not to mention give him a 5 year contract. I've said this all along that Hill isn't the answer at PG, nor will the Pacers win a championship with him at PG. I wouldn't have paid that type of money to Dragic, who I really wanted. As far as I'm concerned, there are too many people in love with Hill, b/c he's a Pacer. I've said it b4 and I'll say it again that if Hill was as great as so many feel then Pop and Buford would have figured out how to come up with the money to re-sign Hill. They let him go and never missed a beat with players like Neal, not drafted, and Green, 46th pick. Not to mention getting a starter in Kawhi Leonard. They had to fall out of their chairs rolling in laughter when they heard the deal the Pacers gave Hill.

I'm not surprised in the least with Hill's "5 year" contract with Walsh in control. What's next give Hibbert a 5 year max contract instead of matching Portland's offer?

This will look much worse if Darren Collison retakes the starting spot during training camp, or when George Hill misses a game to injury and DC arbitrarily becomes the permanent starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I don't feel it will break the team, but I feel it's ridiculous to overpay Hill not to mention give him a 5 year contract. I've said this all along that Hill isn't the answer at PG, nor will the Pacers win a championship with him at PG. I wouldn't have paid that type of money to Dragic, who I really wanted. As far as I'm concerned, there are too many people in love with Hill, b/c he's a Pacer. I've said it b4 and I'll say it again that if Hill was as great as so many feel then Pop and Buford would have figured out how to come up with the money to re-sign Hill. They let him go and never missed a beat with players like Neal, not drafted, and Green, 46th pick. Not to mention getting a starter in Kawhi Leonard. They had to fall out of their chairs rolling in laughter when they heard the deal the Pacers gave Hill.

I'm not surprised in the least with Hill's "5 year" contract with Walsh in control. What's next give Hibbert a 5 year max contract instead of matching Portland's offer?

I would argue that there are very few players who have gone to San Antonio in the Tim Duncan era and not played some of the best basketball of their lives. They have had a stellar coach, system, and superstars in place for 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Anyone who thinks overpaying him by 1 or 1.5 a year is going to somehow break our team is crazy.
    It's more about the 1.5 going to another player than it is about overpaying for Hill.

$8M is a lot to pay unless Hill is our future at PG, and even then it's a pretty penny. That's more than the Grizzlies gave Conley. Maybe the market would've dictated that price, but you have to at least see how it plays out (and yes, that's an assumption on the market).

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    $8M is a lot to pay unless Hill is our future at PG, and even then it's a pretty penny. That's more than the Grizzlies gave Conley.
    It actually looks like exactly what Conley got if you look at the total contract.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

It is more than I would have liked to pay.

However, you have to think that they have a guy still out there in the FA market they really want to bring in. They know that paying Hill 8 mil a year (and perhaps it's possible it's a bit heavier backloaded as a concession to the high price) will still allow them to get their target. It also gets them a quite definite amount to work with without having to worry about losing a guy who they obviously like.

They know they can sign Hibbert + Hill and have X millions to work with.
    Or they know they can work with Hibbert's contract + MLE to sign a replacement center and their target.

They are saying Hill will be a major plan with this rendition of the Pacers, and I am okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    @AlexKennedyNBA: George Hill's five-year deal with the Indiana Pacers is worth $40 million, according to league source.

8 mil a year damn.
    if your source is correct, the yearly numbers would be

1st - 7.0M [6.95]
    2nd - 7.5M
    3rd - 8M
    4th - 8.5M
    5th - 9.0M [9.04]

It is my understanding the last year is team option. Is that correct? if so it makes the guarantee less than 8. Even lower if the last 2 yrs are team option.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    if your source is correct, the yearly numbers would be

1st - 7.0M [6.95]
    2nd - 7.5M
    3rd - 8M
    4th - 8.5M
    5th - 9.0M [9.04]

It is my understanding the last year is team option. Is that correct? if so it makes the guarantee less than 8. Even lower if the last 2 yrs are team option.
    I actually think this is fair.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It's more about the 1.5 going to another player than it is about overpaying for Hill.

$8M is a lot to pay unless Hill is our future at PG, and even then it's a pretty penny. That's more than the Grizzlies gave Conley. Maybe the market would've dictated that price, but you have to at least see how it plays out (and yes, that's an assumption on the market).
    Yeah, I'm more worried that the Pacers FO seems to think Hill should be our starter at PG. He could work there, but only with the right backcourt partner I think. And I don't think Paul G is going to develop into that guy.

Anyway, let's wait for more reputable reports. Mike Wells tweeted earlier that he heard different numbers on GH's contract so he wasn't going to speculate. Hard to think that a Hoopsworld writer would scoop him.

****ing Donnie Walsh does it again.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Banned

Look I love George Hill and wanted him to start and all but damn 8mil is really high for him, why not try to trade for a guy who I think is similar in Jarret Jack that makes less money and call it a day? I don't understand what's this team doing

Lowry isn't going to be a b/u in Houston. Linsanity isn't coming at the salary Houston offer to be a b/u. Lowry will be traded. He has a 5 mil contract, and he's a better PG than Hill. Houston is intersted in picks and cap. Hmmm, how about offering the 013 20 something pick and 5 mil cap? Throw in Stanko or Stephenson if necessary. No reason to have immediately offered Hill a ridiculous 5 year contract. If Hill doesn't cut it, how many teams are interest in trading for a 5 year contract? It becomes an albatross to try and trade when Hill isn't that good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Look I love George Hill and wanted him to start and all but damn 8mil is really high for him, why not try to trade for a guy who I think is similar in Jarret Jack that makes less money and call it a day? I don't understand what's this team doing

I still say we don't know FOR SURE what Hill was paid. (unless i missed the report) We have to look at the overall contract to figure out if he was overpaid. I forgot our exact record when he played as opposed to when he didnt, but there was a significant difference. Guys like Jeremy Lin are getting 8 mil a yr, Dragix lookin for 10 mil a yr. I don't think they're better than G.Hill. They may bring different things to the table, but they're not better. Definitely not significantly better. So if he made between 7.6 and 8 mil a yr, did we really overpay?

All in all let's wait for the exact details of the contract be released first, then dissect it. (and if the numbers have already been reported, I'm sorry--i didn't see it)

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

All in all let's wait for the exact details of the contract be released first, then dissect it. (and if the numbers have already been reported, I'm sorry--i didn't see it)
    vnzla81 posted a report from Hoopsworld a few posts up. Supposedly 5 years/$40m. I'll wait for Mike Wells to confirm it though before going ape ****

27. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Lowry

Hmmm, how about offering the 013 20 something pick and 5 mil cap? Throw in Stanko or Stephenson if necessary.
    if you catch Morey on a day he wants to get fired...

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    vnzla81 posted a report from Hoopsworld a few posts up. Supposedly 5 years/$40m. I'll wait for Mike Wells to confirm it though before going ape ****
    Why wait? Someone made Hill an offer and he went to the Pacers with it. They made it a little better and signed him. They decided they wanted to keep him and I thought all along it would take about $8 million per year to keep him......

Starting at 7 million even and giving routine 7.5% yearly raises, you get to 40 million over 5 years.

http://pgb.me/pacercap

Sounds about right. A little rich for the player, but it's the middle ground of what he was offered during the trade deadline (deal starting at 6m/year), and what he asked for (deal starting at 8m/year).

Nothing too surprising. I'm not convinced he's our long term answer at the 1, but I could easily see him as a long term answer as a starting 2.

I seriously think that this re-signing means that Granger's time as a Pacer is coming to a close, whether that's either following his current contract or sooner. Paul George will most certainly move to the 3.

1: ??? / Stephenson
    2: Hill / Johnson
    3: George / ???
    4: ??? / Hansbrough / Pendergraph
    5: Hibbert / Plumlee