Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird's Blunder not Re-signing Hibbert during the season?

Mood

Default Re: Bird's Blunder not Re-signing Hibbert during the season?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fixed.
    Lame. Hyperbole on crack.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There was no reason to give Roy the max during the season. You never know what other teams would actually offer him so you are possibly paying more than you have to. Also wouldn't he take up more cap space immediately rather than the cap hold which would give us less flexibility to sign free agents?

We wouldn't have saved any money signing Roy during the season because he wouldn't have signed for less than the max.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Roy was never ever signing an extension mid-season, unless it was the max. Roy wasn't worth it then, and he's not worth it now, although we have no choice but to match.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This AGAIN? Amazing!

Hibbert and his agent did not "cut off" negotiations. They declined to even start them! The FO said so. Hibbert said so. His agent said so. The links were posted and the quotes discussed at length.

Yes, sure - had we gotten word to them that we wanted to offer the absolute maximum extension we could give I am sure they would have been instantly open to talking. But why on earth would we do that when that is so much more money than another team can offer him in restricted free agency!? That would have been completely crazy. Much smarter to let the market set Roy's value. Worst case scenario, max offer (but way below the Pacers' own max). Best case scenario, less than the max other teams can offer. With the right of first refusal there is nothing to lose by waiting. Anything could have happened in the second half of the season to make his value go down. So far, the Pacers FO has played it perfectly, imo.

Now. If they do not end up matching the offer, then I think rm1369 is right - the FO made a mistake by not trying to trade him during the season because him being offered as much money as Portland has put on the table was entirely foreseeable. Not 100% inevitable, but pretty damn likely. So if they don't match, they (Larry, Morway and Pritchard - in that order, I suppose, though we will probably never know if they were all on the same page about this) should take a lot of heat for that. Of course, that hasn't happened yet so as of right now there are NO rational reasons to be upset with how the Pacers handled Roy's contract status last season.

I know all of this has been said in this thread and said in many other threads. But apparently it still needs to be said. able (I know you are not the only one, but you are the loudest about it and the only one besides the OP active in this thread so far) - I am sorry, but it is ridiculous to keep implying or outright saying that Bird screwed up the extension for Hibbert when there is so much evidence to the contrary and no evidence to support that conclusion. There are multiple legitimate reasons to criticize Bird. This is not one of them.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...38893/34539369

"There's no rush," Falk said. "I think it’s unlikely that we’ll come to agreement this week. It doesn’t mean in any way that he's not happy in Indiana. ... We've had very friendly discussions, and both sides recognize that the discussion is probably premature."

http://bloguin.com/crossoverchronicl...wednesday.html

If I was speculating as to why he wouldn't want to sign that deal, especially if he genuinely does want to stay in Indiana, I would start off by writing a sentence that began with if I was speculating as to why he wouldn't sign this deal. Then I'd make a joke about it that may or may not have been funny, followed by said speculation. Which would be that I gotta think Hibbert, even as a restricted free agent, is going to get an offer - or three - higher than what Indiana is offering him right now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/scoop-...125436178.html

"I'm not saying 100 percent we wouldn't do [an extension],
    but I'd say it's likely," his agent, David Falk said, according to the site. "He likes Indiana, it's a great place, it's worked out well. But it's my opinion that generally, these things are hard to do. If I was an owner I wouldn't do one unless I got a discount. … I think more than anything else, the reason guys do extensions, in my opinion, is when you have a client who is insecure that he's going to get paid. … Centers don't grow on trees. If the guy has the confidence to wait, he's probably better off waiting."
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not sure what the point of the articles were. We all know the circumstances. You're just the only one who sees it the way you do.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/scoop-...125436178.html

"I'm not saying 100 percent we wouldn't do [an extension],
    but I'd say it's likely," his agent, David Falk said, according to the site. "He likes Indiana, it's a great place, it's worked out well. But it's my opinion that generally, these things are hard to do. If I was an owner I wouldn't do one unless I got a discount. … I think more than anything else, the reason guys do extensions, in my opinion, is when you have a client who is insecure that he's going to get paid. … Centers don't grow on trees. If the guy has the confidence to wait, he's probably better off waiting."
    This third article explains it very nicely why neither side blundered. Hibbert's agent was very frank about it. There's little reason for the team to do it unless they get a discount attached. There's little reason for the player to accept a discount unless he's insecure. So there's no good starting ground to be able to negotiate an extension under those circumstances. The only decent starting ground is if you have a player who is worried about a major injury and so will take the small discount to insure himself, but apparently Hibbert wasn't one of those players.

I don't think either side has been surprised whatsoever about the way it's worked out. This has always been the most likely conclusion.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Hate to see it but IMO he's gone. Just too many signs point to the outcome. Hope I'm wrong cause I really thought he loved Indiana and his teammates but maybe he's just getting mixed up with all the other greedy NBA players and if you show him the money loyalty means nothing. Like I said, hope i'm wrong but we'll see.