Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?"

Biggest Pacer Fan PacersForever's Avatar

Default Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?"

Free agent center Roy Hibbert is now leaning toward wanting to play with the Portland Trail Blazers next season, a day after the restricted free agent got a verbal commitment from the Blazers that they would tender a four-year, $58 million offer sheet to him, the maximum he can receive under terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, league sources confirmed Sunday.
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...ter-max-offer/

I have to say that hurts. It doesn't help that were talking to others centers (Asik, Kaman). But he rather join Portland ?
    Last edited by PacersForever; 07-02-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?

Until I hear it from his mouth....I'll take this with a grain of salt. My guess is that this is coming from his Agent.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?"

Until I hear it from Roy, I'm not going to put much stock in these "sources".

Default Re: Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?"

Until I see an actual quote from Hibbert on this I will continue to have my doubts.

This smells like a leak from an agent or some other low life... err low level source.

edit: what he just said!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hibbert not loyal ? "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice ?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until I hear it from his mouth....I'll take this with a grain of salt. My guess is that this is coming from his Agent.
    Aldridge is 100% credible on is sources. Who knows but i have a feeling its true. He also said he was blown away by their presentation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well who wouldn't be? getting to play with LMA would be pretty fun id imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Well who wouldn't be? getting to play with LMA would be pretty fun id imagine
    Even if we matched I believe he would rather join Portland is what was meant by what was reportedly said.

I don't believe a word of it. Also, if Batum signs an offer sheet with the T-Wolves, as seems likely, then Portland will probably match and this could impact their ability to actually offer Roy a max contract (either that or they run the risk of getting neither Batum nor Hibbert). See below:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdw...26&feedID=8351

At any rate, it's not like Roy has a choice if the Pacers match. He'll be a Pacer, whether he likes it or not (and besides these 'sources', is there any indication he doesn't want to stay in Indy?).
    Last edited by Pingu; 07-02-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Whether true or not, Roy is on dangerous ground rep-wise. The perception of him is not great right now.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersForever View Post
    Aldridge is 100% credible on is sources. Who knows but i have a feeling its true. He also said he was blown away by their presentation.
    But the source is most likely his agent...............
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Even if we matched I believe he would rather join Portland is what was meant by what was reportedly said.
    You are taking agent and/or even Portland FO spin to seriously.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I don't believe a word of it. Also, if Batum signs an offer sheet with the T-Wolves, as seems likely, then Portland will probably match and this could impact their ability to actually offer Roy a max contract (either that or they run the risk of getting neither Batum nor Hibbert). See below:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdw...26&feedID=8351

At any rate, it's not like Roy has a choice if the Pacers match.

It seems like they are assuming that the Blazers want to keep JJ Hickson at any costs.
    They could pass on Hickson, and then they have more than enough space for Hibbert and Batum.
    I think if it came to choosing Hickson or Hibbert, it would be an easy choice.

Also, a lot depends on when they have to match Batum. If they convince Batum to stall it a little, they would be able to give Hibbert the max, sign another player at ~6-7 mil (Hickson or someone else) and still keep Batum.
    The Blazers are in a great situation this year.

Nothing new here, been posted many times before, not sure it needs its own thread but.... this is just posturing...
    No one's feelings need to get hurt.. business is business... With that being said, I truly believe in my heart that Roy wants to remain a Pacer... All of this is just a formality...

The thing we NEED to be worrying about, is the Pacer's front office...
    If Bird was still here, I would say with 120% certainty we would match whatever offer is thrown out there...
    With Walsh at the helm, I am not so sure and would put it at about a 90% chance we match.. It's that other 10% that has me worried.. Not because of the money involved, but moreso with there being new management at the reins ..

I will say one thing though, if Portland ends up with Hibbert, I don't know how I will react.. Because I will have lost all faith in this great organization and will be probably so disgusted that I just won't care anymore... I have way too much emotionally invested in this team and a very select few of our players..

I'll probably give up on the whole NBA and basketball as a whole, much like I did baseball about 18 years ago and I never looked back.... I hate saying that, because it would be like giving up my kid for adoption but it will **** me off beyond belief ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With what is on the table right now, of course Roy is leaning towards the Blazers, they are offering more money. If we match, and he had a choice in the matter, he would stay in Indiana.

Stop pretending that players should be loyal and if they would take a better deal elsewhere that they are dicks. Thats business. Teams have no problem trading players or not resigning them and no one says a thing. They play to make money, whether you like that or not.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Whether true or not, Roy is on dangerous ground rep-wise. The perception of him is not great right now.
    Not really.

There are four ways restricted free agency can go:
    1. Roy agrees to whatever number the Pacers toss out there
    2. Roy investigates offers from other teams and allows Pacers to match/beat/pass
    3. Roy signs an offer sheet and the Pacers decide to match/pass
    4. Roy is offered the absolute max the Pacers are allowed to

#1 is bad for Roy. #4 is bad for the Pacers. #2 or #3 is the compromise.

None of this has anything to do with loyalty or reputation. It's just the nature of restricted free agency.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-02-2012 at 03:55 AM.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    With what is on the table right now, of course Roy is leaning towards the Blazers, they are offering more money. If we match, and he had a choice in the matter, he would stay in Indiana.

Stop pretending that players should be loyal and if they would take a better deal elsewhere that they are dicks. Thats business. Teams have no problem trading players or not resigning them and no one says a thing. They play to make money, whether you like that or not.
    True but my point is even if we matched his offer he would rather be with them.

That's all speculation unless it comes directly from hibbert himself, not his agent.

If hibbert really wants to leave Indiana, he'll make a public declaration.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

No where is that said in the article or in the video. All that is said is that he is leaning towards Portland, solely because of the money they are offering.

Its just posturing from Roy, pretty much saying there is no home town discount

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    No where is that said in the article or in the video. All that is said is that he is leaning towards Portland, solely because of the money they are offering.

Its just posturing from Roy, pretty much saying there is no home town discount
    Well, the article does say
    The Pacers would still be able to match any offer for Hibbbert when the July moratorium expires, but teams generally work out deals for players who express a specific desire to be elsewhere once they become free agents.
    so it kind of does imply that there's a desire to be elsewhere even if we match.

Now is it posturing? Almost certainly.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes, it does imply that Hibbert has a desire to be elsewhere, and it is most likely just agent posturing. Unfortunate, but that is the way the game is played.

Step back for a moment here. How much does Roy Hibbert love playing for Coach Vogel? Not enough to give us a "home town" discount for sure, but he has made it abundantly clear he is devoted to the guy and very clear how much he loves his Area 55 people. We are to believe that because the FO from Portland gave him a few hours of song and dance that he would much rather be in Portland now?

No. That's as silly as thinking we'd really rather have Kaman or Asik than Roy just because we've talked to them.

Now I am a little worried about what our FO is going to do, but I am not at all worried that Roy doesn't want to play for the Indiana Pacers. He wants to get paid what the market will bear and so far nothing that has happened is out of the ordinary for this time period.

If we get a direct quote from Roy that says he doesn't want to come back to Indiana, then we can have a meltdown together.

Speaking of direct quotes - I don't know why you have "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice?" in quotes when that quote does not appear anywhere in the article you are referencing. You are paraphrasing based on your understanding of the article and the problem with that is that you have worded it quite a bit more strongly but make it appear like someone else went on record saying it. Bad form.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-02-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

I heard Roy and Portland have been sleeping together for months.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Yes, it does imply that Hibbert has a desire to be elsewhere, and it is most likely just agent posturing. Unfortunate, but that is the way the game is played.

Step back for a moment here. How much does Roy Hibbert love playing for Coach Vogel? Not enough to give us a "home town" discount for sure, but he has made it abundantly clear he is devoted to the guy and very clear how much he loves his Area 55 people. We are to believe that because the FO from Portland gave him a few hours of song and dance that he would much rather be in Portland now?

No. That's as silly as thinking we'd really rather have Kaman or Asik than Roy just because we've talked to them.

Now I am a little worried about what our FO is going to do, but I am not at all worried that Roy doesn't want to play for the Indiana Pacers. He wants to get paid what the market will bear and so far nothing that has happened is out of the ordinary for this time period.

If we get a direct quote from Roy that says he doesn't want to come back to Indiana, then we can have a meltdown together.

Speaking of direct quotes - I don't know why you have "Leaning toward signing with the blazers if he had the choice?" in quotes when that quote does not appear anywhere in the article you are referencing. You are paraphrasing based on your understanding of the article and the problem with that is that you have worded it quite a bit more strongly but make it appear like someone else went on record saying it. Bad form.
    I was thinking the same about why he would want to stay here. But them I also think that maybe it was all a lie.

Maybe his just liked Vogel's personality better then O'Brian's because he didn't put him down in front of others, but truthfully

he was disgusted on how he was fed the ball especially during the Heat series. Portland must have gave his a sales speech on how

they were going to make sure they were going to unleash his full potential.

I don't see anything wrong with the title. It's with a question mark and the video clearly indicates that it may he would do if he had the decision.

Mood

I was thinking the same about why he would want to stay here. But them I also think that maybe it was all a lie.

Maybe his just liked Vogel's personality better then O'Brian's because he didn't put him down in front of others, but truthfully

he was disgusted on how he was fed the ball especially during the Heat series. Portland must have gave his a sales speech on how

they were going to make sure they were going to unleash his full potential.

I don't see anything wrong with the title. It's with a question mark and the video clearly indicates that it may he would do if he had the decision.
    I couldn't watch the video until now, it kept stalling in the Deron Williams portion. OK, so the quotes from Aldridge are: "Right now, if Roy Hibbert had to choose, he'd choose Portland," and "If he had to pick, I think he would pick Portland." Fairly close to what you said, but when you put something in quotes it should be exact.

I still think it's mostly posturing. He's feeling warm and fuzzy because people want him and want to give him a lot of money. If the Pacers match I doubt Roy sulks about it.

It's going to be a loooong two weeks.
    Last edited by gummy; 07-02-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Also, keep in mind, Roy kills his reputation with other teams if he makes it clear he's just using the blazers for leverage and hes inly signing the contract to force the pacers to match it. He has to put a positive spin on this if he really intends to sign their offer sheet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Not really.

There are four ways restricted free agency can go:
    1. Roy agrees to whatever number the Pacers toss out there
    2. Roy investigates offers from other teams and allows Pacers to match/beat/pass
    3. Roy signs an offer sheet and the Pacers decide to match/pass
    4. Roy is offered the absolute max the Pacers are allowed to

#1 is bad for Roy. #4 is bad for the Pacers. #2 or #3 is the compromise.

None of this has anything to do with loyalty or reputation. It's just the nature of restricted free agency.
    It has everything to do with reputation, among your fans. Let's wait out the 10 days and see if we get any more "Roy not loyal" posts and then we can reassess. And this is among a biased sample of fans that understands the nuances of restricted free agency.