View Poll Results: Best Uniform Era?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1960s

    1 2.63%
  • 1970s

    2 5.26%
  • 1980s

    1 2.63%
  • 1990s

    25 65.79%
  • 2000s

    1 2.63%
  • 2010s

    8 21.05%
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

  1. #1
    year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I came across this on twitter today and thought it looked interesting. Generalizations are rarely accurate, however...

    http://flowingdata.com/2012/06/29/gr...tball-uniform/

    Growth of the basketball uniform

    June 29, 2012 to Infographics by Nathan Yau

    In the 1960s, the basketball uniform was about small, tight shorts and form-fitting tank top. It's grown longer since then. Andrew Bergmann sifted through the archives and illustrated the changes over the decades.

    The arm-length "shooter sleeves" that Lebron, Carmelo and Pierce sport on a regular basis are one of the most interesting of recent accoutrements. These covers can directly be traced back to former 76ers point guard Allen Iverson, who by legend wore one to conceal a controversial tattoo, but in actuality had bursitis in his right elbow. Somehow the sleeves caught on and are now believed to improve your shot. I guess I should get one.


    I can't wait until players are out there in full tights, and then as fashion always turns around on itself, speedos and thigh-high socks.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

  2. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I like the 2010's the best. The most modern looking, because, well, they are the most modern.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Old school unis all the way!

  5. #4
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future you keep similar sizes to what is worn today, but go back to a more skin-tight top like in the 60's.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I'll just go with what Gene Keady said about modern era basketball uniforms and the size of the shorts...
    Paraphrased- He said he didn't care and wouldn't care until someone dribbled a basketball and lost it in their shorts.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    BornRodney ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,926

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I hate the sleeves every one wears and the similar ones guys wear on their legs.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Naptown Born and Raised Blackhawk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    180
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future you keep similar sizes to what is worn today, but go back to a more skin-tight top like in the 60's.
    They are have moved towards that more skin-tight top in the 60s already with compression shirts worn underneath if they choose to wear them. They also have the option of wearing a tighter jersey (Dwight Howard).

    Sleeve does help in shooting slightly, but now more of them are there for protection than anything else. The calf sleeves help prevent cramping, shinsplints etc.
    Last edited by Blackhawk4; 06-30-2012 at 02:17 AM.

  12. #8
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future you keep similar sizes to what is worn today, but go back to a more skin-tight top like in the 60's.
    Agreed. Many College teams are doing that already and I believe Derrick Rose wore a skin-tight jersey during his first All-Star Game?




    Anyway, I went with the 90's. Seems like a happy medium between the nut-huggers of the previous decades and then Manpri's of today. Plus, the 90's gave us these beauties:


    (And no, I'm not referring to Reggie's armpits.)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  14. #9

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I can't vote for anyone with a headband.

  15. #10
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Flo-Jo's for the win.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  16. #11
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,635

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I like the 2010's, I love the sleeve style, I wear one myself every time I go out playing at the gym.. Looks cool and makes me more confident using my left arm which is the one I wear it on.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:


  18. #12

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    My dad always complained about baggy shorts. Said you could tell people don't move as fast on defense because of the bags on their legs.

  19. #13
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,040
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate the sleeves every one wears and the similar ones guys wear on their legs.
    I wear them on my legs. They have helped with my shin splints.

  20. #14
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    I could see 90's cuts, add the sleeves for arms/legs, but ditch the headbands.

  21. #15
    Member Pacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Whiteland, IN
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Since everything was better in the 90s, I went with that.

  22. #16
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    John Wall has worn a skin-tight jersey top since he got into the league. I think that's where the fad has began. I think it looks better, collects sweat better, allows for less drag when moving quickly. Or, at least, that's what I speculate.

    I really like the shooting sleeves. I, too, wear one when I play because I like how it looks. If I had the compression shorts, or whatever is represented in the 2010s, I would wear them too. Anything else I wear has a practical function: headbands to keep sweat from dripping into my eyes, padded calf sleeves for protection (I have a tendency to get kicked in the shins when I dunk on someone), etc.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  23. #17
    BornRodney ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,926

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wear them on my legs. They have helped with my shin splints.
    See, this I can go with. I don't think most people wear them for functional reasons though. I think it is usually purely aesthetic. There's nothing wrong with it, I just think it is silly kind of.

  24. #18
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Growth of the Basketball Uniform

    A part of the tighter jersey top also has to do with Adidas switching to the new style of jersey several seasons ago. Some of the sleeves have also evolved into more of a body armor now as well (which is also worn under the uniform, possibly making them seem tighter as well).

Similar Threads

  1. The Growth Of Basketball Protective Equipment
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
  2. Where's the growth?
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
  3. Uniform and Alternate uniform Rules
    By Haggard in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 02:39 AM
  4. Too much depth can hinder growth...
    By Jim R in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •