Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1305

Thread: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Sports Logo

Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seeing as how its all about money for Roy
    Nothing we've seen has indicated that Roy is all about money any more than any other player in the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, I'm hoping that Drummond is just a tad better that the dumbest center in basketball.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Random speculation ahead....

Bird seems interested in staying and makes comments about wanting to make sure Simon is willing to pay.

Bird does a 180deg and says he's leaving for health reasons.

The FO is looking like they might not spend the money to retain Roy.

Connected?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

What I can't warp my head around is how could they not match? No other free agents want to come here and the one we have a shot at is Roy. And all we have to do is match the offer. Who are we saving for? What's the point? Just pay Roy and hope he Plays up to his contract. I really hope this isn't the reason Larry left
    Long time lurker. Fan since 98. Don't Trade Danny

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacerjones20 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Besides, once he signs the offer sheet, what would posses Portland to volunteer to pay him more many plus send back assets to the Pacers?
    He isn't required to sign with Portland. You give his agent the opportunity to find a team willing to pay Roy more over 5 years. It't matter what Portland wants Roy would do it to make more money. A S+T would also allow more teams able to bid on his services. .

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    He isn't required to sign with Portland. You give his agent the opportunity to find a team willing to pay Roy more over 5 years. It't matter what Portland wants Roy would do it to make more money. A S+T would also allow more teams able to bid on his services. .
    No, but he AGREED to sign with Portland. He WANTED to sign with Portland. That was his decision, and he made it on day one. That ship is sailed. People keep treating this like Roy is still open to other options. He's not. He made his decision.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-06-2012 at 06:57 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    He made his decision.
    He made the decision to get the contract he was offered. Whether this is in Portland or in Indiana is not something that he can really decide.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

So weird thinking about this team without Roy... I know it's a business decision or whatever, but I never thought he would leave here. I know it's not 100% that he is going to Portland yet but still... Hopefully we can get Mayo and Kaman can return to All-Star form or this team could be making a decent drop in the Eastern Conference rankings.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Overpaid or not, you match. He's plateaued? Cool, no problem at all unloading a guy like Roy if that time comes. You lose him for nothing you're just stupid.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    He made the decision to get the contract he was offered. Whether this is in Portland or in Indiana is not something that he can really decide.
    Correct but that wasnt my point.

The pacers can open up sign and trade for every team in the NBA if they want. It wont matter because Roy will only sign with Portland, and they would need his cooperation.

Yes, he could make more money, but he has already picked his team. If he was willing to play anywhere, he wouldn't have made up his mind on the first visit.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

The pacers can open up sign and trade for every team in the NBA if they want. It wont matter because Roy will only sign with Portland, and they would need his cooperation.

Yes, he could make more money, but he has already picked his team. If he was willing to play anywhere, he wouldn't have made up his mind on the first visit.
    I know I haven't been active in this thread. But are you saying Roy intended on playing for the Blazers all along? I don't understand why, if so. I think he wants to be here, but he signed the sheet with Portland so he could force the Pacers into signing him to the max.

I'm not saying he doesn't want to play in Indiana anymore. But, you do not sign an offer sheet unless you are willing to play elsewhere. Yeah, money seems to be the big divide here, but there's something to be said for a free agent getting a call from a team at first opportunity, and them basically telling you to write your own salary.

Look at it from roy's perspective. He's been haggling with the pacers for a max contract for what, a year?

Portland offered him one in the first ten seconds.

I'm sure this isn't a personal thing with Indiana, but which boss would you rather have?

Yes, it boils down to money, but From Roy's perspective, Blazer management made him feel like a star, while pacers management spent the last year coming up with reasons to tell Roy he isn't a big a star as he thinks.

Ultimately, it is not up to Roy, it's up to the Pacers to match the offer or not, and I'm sure Roy wouldn't be unhappy playing in Indiana with the fans he built a personal relationship with.

That said, I have no doubt in my mind Roy would rather be in Portland next season.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-06-2012 at 06:34 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I just moved to Saigon for work and have been away from PD for a long time and am a bit lazy to go through the 47 pages. My question is : has Roy signed anything yet or just been offered the max contract? When is the deadline? Thanks guys!

Roy hasn't signed with Portland and can't until july 11, but he will, and the pacers will have until july 14 to match once he does.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Yeah, I know that this wasn't the point. I'm just stating the obvious since some people seem to miss it.

RFAs cannot actually choose their teams. They cannot plan to go to team A or team B. It depends upon which teams will make a qualifying offer and whether or not their own teams match or not.

RFAs have a say on their salary but not on their destination.

Roy chose the contract that he was offered. He didn't chose to play with the Blazers or the Pacers (or any other team). He will play with the team that offers him that contract.

...actually, he DID choose to play for the blazers. It's just that he doesn't have the final say in the matter.

And yes, he chose Portland manly because they offered him the best deal. That does not change the fact that he did choose Portland because they made a commitment to him that the pacers were unwilling to. My point is he would rather play for blazers management than pacers management at the moment.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-06-2012 at 07:18 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

...actually, he DID choose to play for the blazers. It's just that he doesn't have the final say in the matter.
    That's not how I interpret it.

It wasn't Roy who called the Blazers and pressured them to offer him the contract. The Blazers offered it and he accepted it.

Sports Logo

That does not change the fact that he did choose Portland because they made a commitment to him that the pacers were unwilling to. My point is he would rather play for blazers management than pacers management at the moment.
    I agree with this but this isn't what I'm trying to say.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a distinctive difference between FAs and RFAs. FAs can go out and say "I will sign with team X". RFAs cannot do this. RFAs can only say "I will sign the X contract".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Random speculation ahead....

Bird seems interested in staying and makes comments about wanting to make sure Simon is willing to pay.

Bird does a 180deg and says he's leaving for health reasons.

The FO is looking like they might not spend the money to retain Roy.

Connected?

That's exactly what I was saying in Seth's ownership thread. It's not off-base at all to suspect that ownership isn't willing to spend money if we don't match Roy a mere two weeks after Bird left the team (which occurred just 4 weeks after being so seemingly excited about returning to the team). Our owners got 33 million dollars from the city two years ago, so we have rock solid evidence that they haven't been particularly happy with the team financials in recent years.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

http://www.750thegame.com/pages/land...36&feedID=9710

(NOTE THIS IS NOT YESTERDAY"S ARTICLE)

July 5, 2012, 5:56 pm

Sekou Smith of NBA.com talks free agents on The Bald Faced Truth with John Canzano. Sekou puts a wide perspective on free agency NBA players that are recently changing contracts. He starts out talking about Steve Nash moving to the Lakers, Smith believes he will be good for the Lakers with his ability to make constant jump shots from all over the court. With Roy Hibbert possibly moving and the Blazers are gunning for the max offer to Hibbert and The Pacers staying quiet. Smith says that Indiana believes they wouldn’t lose much if it means matching the max offer. Also if Indiana can get a hold of Chris Kaman they would not mind losing a non key player. Sekou thinks that Hibbert has something rare that everybody is looking for as a seven footer with true low post skills, who’s also able to shoot a little bit.
    Smith does not see these free agents as fillers for spots on any team; he believes that every player that is up for grabs is well known and sought after by any team willing to pay the right amount. Each GM has a count on these players and will make a quick offer if the right opportunity arises.

The Game's Blazers insider Jason Quick also joined the Bald Faced Truth with the latest developments on Blazers free agent Nic Batum.

sounds as tho Kaman could be in the drivers seat. He can hold Indiana hostage until they come up with the bucks he wants or we would be forced to match Roy's sheet. I still believe much of Roy's overlooked value is in the community.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 07-06-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I agree with this but this isn't what I'm trying to say.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a distinctive difference between FAs and RFAs. FAs can go out and say "I will sign with team X". RFAs cannot do this. RFAs can only say "I will sign the X contract".
    Yeah, but I wasn't commenting on the technical aspects of Roy's contract situation. I was responding to another question asking why Roy would personally want to leave Indiana for Portland.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

I have to give you kudos for getting an interview with Roy and his agent to get the inside scoop while no one else could.

From what you are saying if the Pacers come back and offer the 5 yr/78 million max to Roy, before the July 11 signing date, he would turn it down because he has already made his decision and say he wants to play for Portland for less money. I wonder if he gave you any insight during the interview why this is the case?

My insight in this matter can be generally referred to as "common sense."

If the Pacers were going to max out Roy for 5 years, it would have been done already. Roy would not be making his intentions to sign the offer sheet if Indiana hadn't already informed him that they were not going to raise their offer.

I'm not sure what has to happen before some people wake up and smell the coffee. Roy is done negotiating. The pacers have long since been done negotiating with Roy.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Sports Logo

Yeah, but I wasn't commenting on the technical aspects of Roy's contract situation. I was responding to another question asking why Roy would personally want to leave Indiana for Portland.
    Oh, ok then. I was commenting upon the technical aspects

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay people....let's back up the drama train for just a minute....I am not an NBA analyst, nor do I claim to have any inside information, but this is what seems very apparent to me....

Mid season Roy talks about how he doesn't see himself as a Max contract player. Pacers agree...

Roy and his agent decide to wait until free agency hits to see where the contracts fall rather than to undervalue him and sign a low-ball extension from the Pacers.

Roy gets a Max offer from Portland....Something even he didn't expect.

Roy and his agent agree to sign said offer sheet, NOT with intentions to leave, but to cause Indiana to **** or get off the pot, and finally admit and come to terms that he IS a max player in someones eyes.

This does nothing more than force the Pacers to match....That is all.....

Now from the Pacers FO standpoint, they are trying to land FA's and do so quickly. Please keep in mind that NO ONE can sign any contracts or offers until July 11th (which just happens to be my birthday). Once Roy signs his offer sheet with Portland, it does 3 things:

1. Puts a $14M cap hold on Portland in which they can't go after any other FA's.
    2. Forces the Pacers to pay him what he, and other people, think he is truly worth.
    3. Gives the Pacers 3 days to match the offer.

That being said, the Pacers FO, still trying to attract more FA's, have a better chance, and more money, to negotiate with if they don't match Hibbert's contract immediately. Currently Roy's cap hold is only $7.765M. Once they offer to match, his cap hold would go somewhere between the $14.5M - $15M. That is $7M - $8M LESS that could be used to attract FA's. We have Hibbert's Bird rights, so as long as we sign the other FA's BEFORE we match Hibbert, we can go over the cap....Not to mention, the longer that we don't match Portland's offer to Roy, the longer Portland can't use that $14M to entice other FA's, and in a sense, force them out of competing for/being able to afford other quality FA's.

Seems to me that Portland's interest in Roy is a bit of an attempt to get at Pritchard and make his job a little harder and a little more uncomfortable. Think of it as the woman scorned....Pritchard used to be in Portland and now he is here. I am not sure what the circumstances were in which he left, but my understanding is that there is no love lost between him and Portland. Portland, seeing Roy as a major piece of the Pacer's success, comes at him with guns blazing, as an FU to Pritchard....

My guess is that we make a a signing or two using that $7M - $8M that is currently not tied up, then we swoop in at the last moment, match Roy's offer sheet using his Bird rights, and give Portland the big ole' Pritch-slap.

It just makes too much sense all around....Why would we give up the flexibility to spend $7M - $8M on more talent just to match an offer that we are under no obligation to do UNTIL July 14th. Expect to see Hibbert matched, and resigned on the 14th....

Just my 2c.....

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post: