Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1305

Thread: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the Pacers not saying anything publicly or to Roy, I have to think that means one of two things. Either we really aren't sure about Roy or we're not going to sign him. Not being sure about signing a player like Hibbert makes me unsure about our front office.
    What it says to me is that they are playing things close to the chest and keeping their options open. Free agency is a game, to a certain extent. It needs to be skillfully played on a number of fronts in order to succeed. We have money, we have gauged interest in a number of players, we likely have a number we are willing to hit for each of these guys, and once they get over that, we bow out. I see a lot of people in a bit of a panic around here, and while I admit to being a little nervous, I don't think our front office is operating without an explicit plan. I think they know what Roy is worth to the franchise, and with all this talk about continuity and all that, I have to believe they won't let him walk unless they have one hell of a Plan B.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    What it says to me is that they are playing things close to the chest and keeping their options open. Free agency is a game, to a certain extent. It needs to be skillfully played on a number of fronts in order to succeed. We have money, we have gauged interest in a number of players, we likely have a number we are willing to hit for each of these guys, and once they get over that, we bow out. I see a lot of people in a bit of a panic around here, and while I admit to being a little nervous, I don't think our front office is operating without an explicit plan. I think they know what Roy is worth to the franchise, and with all this talk about continuity and all that, I have to believe they won't let him walk unless they have one hell of a Plan B.
    There isn't any advantage to not letting Hibbert know you will match any offer at this point, unless you are unsure or know you don't want him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

There isn't any advantage to not letting Hibbert know you will match any offer at this point, unless you are unsure or know you don't want him.
    From your angle, that may be true. From the Pacers war room, there might be more than meets the eye. It could be simply KP trying to stick it to the Blazers and keep them guessing until the last minute. After all, Hibbert's deal does have some effect on whether they match Batum's offer or not.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

If Pacers don't keep Hibbert, they better get some good return for him. Letting him walk or get crap for him will literally make me vomit!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm taking heart that neither Roy nor the Pacer's are saying anything. I think we wait until the 11th, sign whatever back-ups we have coming, and then either sign or match Portland.

Notice...that's me stepping back from the ledge.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

billbradley

From your angle, that may be true. From the Pacers war room, there might be more than meets the eye. It could be simply KP trying to stick it to the Blazers and keep them guessing until the last minute. After all, Hibbert's deal does have some effect on whether they match Batum's offer or not.
    I think that is crazy. So KP is just ****ing with POR and Hibbert to prove a point or Pritch slap Allen? And what message does that send to the rest of the league?

And would signing Hibby at the last minute really work to make POR lose Batum? Has anyone done this before?

Well, we haven't said we weren't going to match. I believe our FO will match on Roy, but in the mean time we are covering our bases with players like Kaman, etc. Roy is a great teammate, role model, etc. for our team to build around. Also, he is getting more and more exposure due to making the rounds at ESPN and the other TV stations. It makes no sense for us NOT to keep Roy around, not to mention he is arguably our most important player on the court. He is slowly becoming the face of this franchise on and off the court, and has the work ethic to be the best he can be, and who knows what exactly his best is. As for his cost, I think in the long run it costs us more NOT having Roy as opposed to over-spending some on his contract.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sbaker50 For This Useful Post:

I think that is crazy. So KP is just ****ing with POR and Hibbert to prove a point or Pritch slap Allen? And what message does that send to the rest of the league?

And would signing Hibby at the last minute really work to make POR lose Batum? Has anyone done this before?
    I have no idea. I don't have answers; I have half-baked theories. Regardless, I think you are overstating the impact this is going to have on Hibbert. If we match it, great. He may have started to like the idea of going to Portland and playing there, even to the point of preferring it. But by all accounts, the guy loves Indy, the fans, and his teammates. We gave him his shot and if we pony up and pay him, whether it takes us 1 hour or 10 days to decide, we are still paying him a max contract and whatever kind of bruise his ego gets will be gone long before the 2012-2013 season tips off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just have this feeling that when OJ Mayo gets out of Memphis, he's going to be the efficient near 20 PPG scorer he was in his 1st and 2nd year.

Just think he was miserable in Memphis the last 2 years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

How do we know that the FO hasn't said anything to Roy?? Just because it isn't public knowledge doesn't mean there haven't been talks.....Maybe they are both strategically keeping their intentions a mystery to throw off other teams....Maybe announcing we will match Hibbert locks us into matching earlier than we need to to sign other FA's....I say keep the extra $$$ off the cap until the last minute to try to help negotiate other deals....

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen Hicks freak out like this....
    That's only because you weren't here in 2004.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Why are you getting so worked up so early in the process? It could end up like Brad Miller, it could not (I really don't think so--I think we will match).
    Because at this point I feel like it's more likely he goes than stays, and I'm bouncing off that assumption. I know it could go the other way. I just think it's the less likely possibility at this point.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

All signs (except for the Hill signing) are pointing to no.

With the Pacers not saying anything publicly or to Roy, I have to think that means one of two things. Either we really aren't sure about Roy or we're not going to sign him. Not being sure about signing a player like Hibbert makes me unsure about our front office.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    Has Roy or his agent said that he will sign yet?
    After asking Wells directly for clarification earlier today, and then a tweet from David Aldridge, it's confirmed that Roy will sign with Portland on the 11th, and that as of right now the FO is undecided as to whether or not they want to match.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I have no idea. I don't have answers; I have half-baked theories.
    If we put al the half-baked theories together that have here we might have one baked cake!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

theres really no comparison to this situation and the brad miller situation other than the fact they are/were both popular centers...the pacers payroll back then was a complete mess and re-signing miller wouldve put the pacers in luxury tax land....now we are no where near that kind of situation....and the pacers have every reason in the book to be playing this close to the vest and give the public appearance of indecision and the possibility that they wont match...they will match...its donnie...how do u think we got to that bloated payroll that forced us to trade miller in the first place???? donnie paying every player and their brother....as has been mentioned...u pay hibbert...even if u trade him in the next couple years..u pay him...u dont let him walk without getting anything in return...maybe u have to adjust some of ur other signings if paying hibbert is gonna cost more than u had planned on....but they will pay hibbert and adjust in the other signings....relax...theyre playing it the way they should....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Nicolas Batum has agreed to sign an offer sheet with TWolves 45 mil over 4 years. Portland plans to match - according to twitter

Can't post a link

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Perhaps the Pacers were waiting to see what would happen with Batum. Can Portland afford both Roy at 58 mil and Batum at 45 mil for 4 years ?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Perhaps the Pacers were waiting to see what would happen with Batum. Can Portland afford both Roy at 58 mil and Batum at 45 mil for 4 years ?
    They'll have to sign Roy first.

I agree. The writing is on the wall that we haven't made a decision yet (or worse...that we aren't keeping him). Mike Wells is probably more connected than any other local personality and he doesn't think we are going to match. David Aldridge is without question one of the most respected national insiders and he says we still haven't made a decision. When you combine that with the fact that the Pacers have said nothing, it's pretty easy to add 2 and 2 together and figure out that at best, we still don't know what we are going to do.

It would be unwise to tell Roy anything until you have too. He is not in a position to dictate he is being dictated too. TPTB is being smart by waiting and exploring all their options. There is a reason KP/DW are doing it this way and arm chair GM's are not upset.

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Even though it is looking like Roy might be gone, I still like to imagine him and Pritchard sitting in a dark, smoky room, laughing subtly while they throw darts at a picture of Paul Allen.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

If we let Roy go, can we offer to give him a sign and trade with a 5 year deal? Seeing as how its all about money for Roy you would think he would jump at the chance for his agent to find a sign and trade deal to get Roy that 5th year

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    If we let Roy go, can we offer to give him a sign and trade with a 5 year deal? Seeing as how its all about money for Roy you would think he would jump at the chance for his agent to find a sign and trade deal to get Roy that 5th year
    No, a S&T is not an option once he signs the contract offer....the Pacers either match or they leave with nothing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    No, a S&T is not an option once he signs the contract offer....the Pacers either match or they leave with nothing.
    Besides, once he signs the offer sheet, what would posses Portland to volunteer to pay him more many plus send back assets to the Pacers?