If Pacers don't keep Hibbert, they better get some good return for him. Letting him walk or get crap for him will literally make me vomit!
Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."
I'm taking heart that neither Roy nor the Pacer's are saying anything. I think we wait until the 11th, sign whatever back-ups we have coming, and then either sign or match Portland.
Notice...that's me stepping back from the ledge.
If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..
And would signing Hibby at the last minute really work to make POR lose Batum? Has anyone done this before?
Well, we haven't said we weren't going to match. I believe our FO will match on Roy, but in the mean time we are covering our bases with players like Kaman, etc. Roy is a great teammate, role model, etc. for our team to build around. Also, he is getting more and more exposure due to making the rounds at ESPN and the other TV stations. It makes no sense for us NOT to keep Roy around, not to mention he is arguably our most important player on the court. He is slowly becoming the face of this franchise on and off the court, and has the work ethic to be the best he can be, and who knows what exactly his best is. As for his cost, I think in the long run it costs us more NOT having Roy as opposed to over-spending some on his contract.
I just have this feeling that when OJ Mayo gets out of Memphis, he's going to be the efficient near 20 PPG scorer he was in his 1st and 2nd year.
Just think he was miserable in Memphis the last 2 years.
How do we know that the FO hasn't said anything to Roy?? Just because it isn't public knowledge doesn't mean there haven't been talks.....Maybe they are both strategically keeping their intentions a mystery to throw off other teams....Maybe announcing we will match Hibbert locks us into matching earlier than we need to to sign other FA's....I say keep the extra $$$ off the cap until the last minute to try to help negotiate other deals....
All signs (except for the Hill signing) are pointing to no.
theres really no comparison to this situation and the brad miller situation other than the fact they are/were both popular centers...the pacers payroll back then was a complete mess and re-signing miller wouldve put the pacers in luxury tax land....now we are no where near that kind of situation....and the pacers have every reason in the book to be playing this close to the vest and give the public appearance of indecision and the possibility that they wont match...they will match...its donnie...how do u think we got to that bloated payroll that forced us to trade miller in the first place???? donnie paying every player and their brother....as has been mentioned...u pay hibbert...even if u trade him in the next couple years..u pay him...u dont let him walk without getting anything in return...maybe u have to adjust some of ur other signings if paying hibbert is gonna cost more than u had planned on....but they will pay hibbert and adjust in the other signings....relax...theyre playing it the way they should....
Nicolas Batum has agreed to sign an offer sheet with TWolves 45 mil over 4 years. Portland plans to match - according to twitter
Can't post a link
Perhaps the Pacers were waiting to see what would happen with Batum. Can Portland afford both Roy at 58 mil and Batum at 45 mil for 4 years ?
I agree. The writing is on the wall that we haven't made a decision yet (or worse...that we aren't keeping him). Mike Wells is probably more connected than any other local personality and he doesn't think we are going to match. David Aldridge is without question one of the most respected national insiders and he says we still haven't made a decision. When you combine that with the fact that the Pacers have said nothing, it's pretty easy to add 2 and 2 together and figure out that at best, we still don't know what we are going to do.
It would be unwise to tell Roy anything until you have too. He is not in a position to dictate he is being dictated too. TPTB is being smart by waiting and exploring all their options. There is a reason KP/DW are doing it this way and arm chair GM's are not upset.
Even though it is looking like Roy might be gone, I still like to imagine him and Pritchard sitting in a dark, smoky room, laughing subtly while they throw darts at a picture of Paul Allen.
If we let Roy go, can we offer to give him a sign and trade with a 5 year deal? Seeing as how its all about money for Roy you would think he would jump at the chance for his agent to find a sign and trade deal to get Roy that 5th year
[I]Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.