Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1305

Thread: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Bender was injuries first, performance second. Croshere was never as good or as important as Roy even is now, let alone if he ever improved anymore. A backup PF we thought could be the starter. WE ALREADLY KNOW ROY CAN START BECAUSE HE IS BETTER AND MORE VALUABLE THE CROSHERE EVER WAS, and center is much more valuable spot to have a good player than a PF. So don't waste anyone's time with such a silly comparison.

You're continuing to rationalize;
    I'm sitting in MSA in Rik's 2nd season. The guy behind me yells "Smits is a clown, Smits you clown, you stink".

So I'm not rationalizing how virulent fan reaction can be to guys who get paid and don't deliver, as the fanbase thinks they should. Your nuts to think it can't get caustic even for the starting center. Roy is about to be the 2nd highest paid Pacer ever behind only JO...but you don't think there is pressure there or emotional stakes with the fanbase?

Cripes, Knicks fans questioned Ewing's value at times.

This year, at PLAYOFF GAMES, and down where people had to spend to come see the game, I heard plenty of Roy complaints. I actually often disagreed with the stuff I overheard. But the point is that some pretty devoted fans already have high expectations for Roy, ones that aren't realistic IMO, and that will only get worse on the new deal.

So you can lose fans by not signing him and floundering and you can lose fans if you do sign him and flounder.

The key, as always, is simply to be successful. The sin of losing Roy can be forgiven as much as the sin of intentionally moving Chuck or Det.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nash and EJ came here to talk. They weren't offered as much money as they took elsewhere.

Neither said "F Indianapolis, I'd take less to play elsewhere". Both said "well your team is good enough but so are other teams and they want to pay me more". If the Pacers threw a 3/39m at Nash he'd be a Pacer right now without a doubt. And as it was the Lakers had to give up 2 first round picks, one of which might have good value in a few years.

I don't agree. Nash still would've chose the Lakers because of the chance to play alongside Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum and because it's closer to his family. Oh and he also took less money per year than what I heard the Pacers offered him.

I heard the Pacers offered him a 10 million dollar a year deal and that he turned the Pacers down because he had more interest in Toronto and NY. That was on Monday, less than 24 hours after they talked to him and before the Lakers got serious about pursuing him.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

What about Javale McGee? Would he be a legite replacement for Roy? Would he be to expensive or has he already been signed? Just thinking!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    How do we know that the Simons haven't decreed that they don't want to pay that much for Hibbert and that KP isn't just taking his "stepping orders" from the top?
    We don't know for certain. However, the David Aldridge piece on NBA.com said Simon authorized his FO to go either way. So if that's true, he's willing to pay to match but not insisting they do it. In other words, he's leaving the basketball decision to the guys he hired to do the job. Just as he has normally done.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    How do we know that the Simons haven't decreed that they don't want to pay that much for Hibbert and that KP isn't just taking his "stepping orders" from the top?
    I don't think a GM would compromise their resume by taking blame for Simon not wanting to pay Roy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    What about Javelle McGee? Would he be a legite replacement for Roy? Would he be to expensive or has he already been signed? Just thinking!
    The problem is he is a RFA too so the Nuggets will probably just match any offer the Pacers make him. I think he has the potential to be as good a defender and scorer as Roy but he probably won't replace Roy's passing and decision making. He's already more athletic, quicker, and a better finisher in traffic than Roy.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    There is. You just dont want to see it.

That's fine. I didn't want to see it, either...

Putting down a large chunk of cash for two young talented backups is nice...but in the end, you're still paying for backups.

And if you don't think either guy is going to get massively overpaid, you don't understand the situation.
    McGee's not only a long-term starter, he's one of the most productive centers in the league. As I said previously, McGee gives a team everything that you're hoping Drummond eventually gives the Pistons -- rebounding, high-efficiency double-figures scoring, and shot blocking.

Mayo's a starter-level talent, or, at the very least, one of the top sixth-men in the league. That's reasonable for $7-7.5M per-season.

Yeah, If we don't match Roy's offer sheet (I would prefer we did), I would have to say that we should send an to offer McGee and Lopez and hope one of them bites.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I don't agree. Nash still would've chose the Lakers because of the chance to play alongside Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum and because it's closer to his family. Oh and he also took less money per year than what I heard the Pacers offered him.

I heard the Pacers offered him a 10 million dollar a year deal and that he turned the Pacers down because he had more interest in Toronto and NY. That was on Monday, less than 24 hours after they talked to him and before the Lakers got serious about pursuing him.
    My mistake, I thought the deal was 3/37, not 3/27. So he passed on 10m from Indy to take 9m from the Lakers because they had Kobe. That's not really that bad, it's certainly not "doing you a favor" money.

And I think if it was going to be add Nash, keep Roy, then Nash made a mistake. I think the Pacers needed Nash more than the Lakers in terms of W-L improvement, which given the last season means that Nash Pacers would be much better than Nash Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    Yeah, If we don't match Roy's offer sheet (I would prefer we did), I would have to say that we should send an to offer McGee and Lopez and hope one of them bites.
    If the Pacers aren't willing to overpay for Roy Hibbert, they're not going to be willing to overpay for McGee or Lopez. They'll have to overpay McGee and Lopez in order to get their teams to not consider matching.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

I love Big Roy but I wonder if this team would be better with McGee and Mayo? How much would KP have to offer in order for Denver to decline? Dont you think Crawford just set the scale for Mayo? If Crawford can get $6mill - I dont see why Mayo would not get $7-8mill.
    In other words, signing McGee for a less than Roy's offer would allow us to add to Mayor's offer. At least the team would be more athletic!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    If the Pacers aren't willing to overpay for Roy Hibbert, they're not going to be willing to overpay for McGee or Lopez. They'll have to overpay McGee and Lopez in order to get their teams to not consider matching.
    This x100
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    It depends on what constitutes "overpaying." There seems to be a wide range of opinions on both McGee and Lopez, so one man's overpaying might be another man's steal.

In my opinion, either Lopez or McGee at $10M per is a better deal than Hibbert at $14M per. Would you consider that overpaying? For the record, I'd expect both of those offers to be matched.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    It depends on what constitutes "overpaying." There seems to be a wide range of opinions on both McGee and Lopez, so one man's overpaying might be another man's steal.

In my opinion, either Lopez or McGee at $10M per is a better deal than Hibbert at $14M per. Would you consider that overpaying? For the record, I'd expect both of those offers to be matched.
    Matched and matched. $10M is what Deandre Jordan gets.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    League source says Pacers still have not decided if they will match proposed max offer sheet by Portland over the weekend to @Hoya2aPacer.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Let's hope we just match

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
    League source says Pacers still have not decided if they will match proposed max offer sheet by Portland over the weekend to @Hoya2aPacer.
    I have the feeling that we've already decided to match. The reason we want mystery out there is just in case a trade scenario sprouts up involving Roy and another team. Why? Because he snapped up that offer from Portland really early. I'm not so sure he wants to play there any more than he'd want to be anywhere else.

To be honest though, it would be awesome to see a front court of him and Aldridge.

I know people will laugh at this, but McGee could get close to the max. He isn't as skilled as Hibbert or as hard of a worker, but his ceiling is higher and he's way more athletic.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

I can actually understand the FO being skeptical of giving Roy the max. Consistency is not an attribute he displays. However, he is a 7'2'' skilled center. Moving him next year around draft time is always an option, or even at the deadline this year ala Nene.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I know people will laugh at this, but McGee could get close to the max. He isn't as skilled as Hibbert or as hard of a worker, but his ceiling is higher and he's way more athletic.
    Through their first four seasons, McGee and Andrew Bynum had remarkably similar production.

This, the same Andrew Bynum who the Lakers wont part with for Dwight Howard. McGee did have two years at Nevada, as opposed to Bynum who came straight out of high school. I'm sure there are people out there who will use this fact to discredit the comparison.

I am stoked to see some team fire a max level offer McGee's way. He is dumb and unmotivated now, just think how bad it will be when you actually pay him. Good riddance.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Maybe they really haven't decided to match or not, but if they really haven't then that's really discouraging for me. It drastically changes the free agency priorities whichever way you go with it, get a damn plan together.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It's a game. Does Roy really want to sign with Portland with their injury history? I'm guessing not.

If the FO refuses to publically say they want to keep him, Roy might be stuck in Portland if he signs their offer sheet. Roy's doing everything he can to show that he's not just using Portland as leverage (including following Portland players on Twitter).

It doesn't hurt the Pacers one bit to wait to "decide'". They've most likely decided to keep him privately. It's a matter of whether Roy and his agent break and settle for less than the Portland offer before signing the Portland offer sheet.

It's a standoff and Pacers can only gain by waiting.

I really don't think Roy is coming back. If you can, take emotion out of it, step away, and look from an outside perspective. Hibbert isn't worth 13 million dollars. If Roy Hibbert played for a random team like Minnesota, and was never a Pacer or a crowd favorite, and the Pacers offered him a max deal while only averaging 12-8, I don't think many Pacer fans would be on board with that
    David "And One" West

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

He's gone. Plumlee is going to be our starting center. Maybe we could get a sign and trade. I don't know if it's legal but Batum for Hibbert would be nice and sign Kaman and Mayo