Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the NBA world and world in general really laughed about Roy Hibbert making the team, that says more about the eastern NBA coaches' whole spectrum of intelligence than anything, since those guys put him in it. I am going to bet that the Eastern coaches put Roy Hibbert in the All-Star game for good reason.
    The only thing here is that PRIOR to the all-star selection I personally talked to many fans, serious and casual, who thought I was nuts to think that Roy could make the AS game. I would say "Roy's going to make the AS game this season" and got "you're crazy" as a response.

I wasn't getting any "yeah, he probably will". And this is the Pacers/Indy fanbase, not national.

Let's not rewrite history here because someone didn't like the term "laughing". Nearly everyone agreed that Roy was having a nice year but that he benefited greatly from injuries to other players and that even on his own team there was a more important/worthy AS player.

Roy also faced no Howard and no Bosh in the playoffs and had NO 20 point games and didn't put up stats of domination other than blocked shots. If you have an all-star C going against the backups for the other team every single game, he should crush them.

That's the concern. Roy hasn't come into his own yet. He didn't go have a Smits vs Ewing battle where despite Ewing he was still able to get 25 and 12 and be the guy that Ewing had trouble stopping, and did it 4 of the 6 games to the point that you had to beat the Pacers in some way other than stopping Roy, ie he's going to get his but that's okay.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Or "IcanDoSoMuchMoreWith58MThanIcanWith48MItsTotallyWo rthIt"
    Hey, I'm sure you'd turn down an extra $10 million....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

If we give up our most important player and All-Star than we aren't going anywhere
    Like when they traded Detlef for a non-allstar? Yep, now you are F'd.

Det, not Reggie, was the current all-star of that team and was on his 2nd in a row 6th man win. He still has more trip dubs than any other NBA Pacer (only 2 but still).

Detlef went 19.1, 9.5, 6.0 that season and made the all-star team (2 years after Reggie's only AS game). This was the season after he had won his 2nd 6th man in a row (so 6th man, 6th man, AS). Traded for McKey.

He went to Seattle and made 2 more AS teams after that as well as 3rd team All-NBA (and finished #1 in the NBA in offensive rating by Basketball-Reference ranking), so they didn't dump a dude on the decline or making an all-star team because of the conference he was in.

The team didn't even win because of the deal, they won more because they dumped Hill for Brown, signed Byron Scott, added Antonio Davis (back from Europe) and swapped Pooh for Workman (in the lineup, due to injury). Then the next year they had traded Pooh for Jax and the team was complete.

FUN FACT - when the Pacers traded Herb Williams for Detlef (seriously, how was this legal) they got a 2nd round pick too. This pick was Antonio Davis, but he was sent to Europe for seasoning. Herb for Det and Antonio, which has to go down as an all-time great trade.

THE LESSON - if you "trade" Roy for Kaman (or something similar) you can certainly still be good or maybe even better due to the overall changes you are making. The Pacers have given up Person while he was good, Detlef while he was great, and both Antonio and Dale while they still had future AS games in them and kept winning.

Cripes, they gave up an all-star center in Brad Miller and won 61 games (franchise record) the next year without adding any other piece (impact player I mean).

How can a Pacers fan honestly think that losing Roy is an unrecoverable event? The team's only done it about 6 times already.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    we aren't a contender either way it really is a tough call pay him we dont have room to add the major piece/ or pieces we need to become a contender. Dont sign him we basically would need to blow it up.

I suggested trading Hibbert and Granger last year at the draft when their value was high and rebuild and hopefully compete for a title instead of becoming the Hawks 2..0. Now we are in a sticky scenario I can see it going either way. You probably have to pay him but if you do that your hopes of competing fall on the shoulders of beyond drastic improvement from Lance, Paul, Hill, Roy ect.
    Yeah, I totally agree (hence why I said I don't envy the Pacers here), but all the same, the Pacers are SIGNIFICANTLY worse if Hibbert walks. Kaman is pretty much their best-case scenario then. Huge drop-off.

If Hibbert returns, obviously the team still has flaws (still very poor depth at C, huge PG questions, George needs to make some major leaps and fast), but if he walks, the team just doesn't have enough talent to really compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Det, not Reggie, was the current all-star of that team and was on his 2nd in a row 6th man win. He still has more trip dubs than any other NBA Pacer (only 2 but still).

Detlef went 19.1, 9.5, 6.0 that season and made the all-star team (2 years after Reggie's only AS game). This was the season after he had won his 2nd 6th man in a row (so 6th man, 6th man, AS). Traded for McKey.

He went to Seattle and made 2 more AS teams after that as well as 3rd team All-NBA (and finished #1 in the NBA in offensive rating by Basketball-Reference ranking), so they didn't dump a dude on the decline or making an all-star team because of the conference he was in.

The team didn't even win because of the deal, they won more because they dumped Hill for Brown, signed Byron Scott, added Antonio Davis (back from Europe) and swapped Pooh for Workman (in the lineup, due to injury). Then the next year they had traded Pooh for Jax and the team was complete.

FUN FACT - when the Pacers traded Herb Williams for Detlef (seriously, how was this legal) they got a 2nd round pick too. This pick was Antonio Davis, but he was sent to Europe for seasoning. Herb for Det and Antonio, which has to go down as an all-time great trade.

THE LESSON - if you "trade" Roy for Kaman (so something similar) you can certainly still be good or maybe even better due to the overall changes you are making. The Pacers have given up Person while he was good, Detlef while he was great, and both Antonio and Dale while they still had future AS games in them and kept winning.

Cripes, they gave up an all-star center in Brad Miller and won 61 games (franchise record) the next year without adding any other piece (impact player I mean).

How can a Pacers fan honestly think that losing Roy is an unrecoverable event? The team's only done it about 6 times already.
    This was what I was thinking that is why I'm at the fence about losing Roy to Portland. If let's say Kaman is available for a cheaper price, then use the remaining money to sign Nash or offer max to Gordon, or sign Mayo plus another player, then 2 solid additions while releasing one player can be worth it in the long run. It maybe a little risky, but the idea is to get more assets/significant guys to the roster.

If the FO can work some magic and make solid additions while keeping the main core, then that's much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Hey, I'm sure you'd turn down an extra $10 million....
    If it meant playing for Detroit, then yes.

But honestly, there are other aspects to a career that a smart player should consider. These don't just include title chances but also NBA profile, future contracts and endorsement opportunities. Go somewhere and become known as a bust/bad signing, playing 4th fiddle on a non-playoff team and you might be looking at a lot less income in total over a 10 year span, despite taking more over the first 4 years.

I'm not saying it's going to go that way for Roy, I'm just saying that if you really only go by money it's a big mistake. Heck, even quality of life and work environment should be a factor.

I don't blame Roy for interest in the 58m but if it was my friend I'd make sure he considered what other issues were in play and how they figured into his total 15 year plan. What does Roy imagine his resume will look like at 40? Maybe Portland does fit well into his potential plans and career goals and if so then who can blame him. Just be careful you aren't on the outside looking in 4 years from now.

THE LESSON - if you "trade" Roy for Kaman (so something similar) you can certainly still be good or maybe even better due to the overall changes you are making. The Pacers have given up Person while he was good, Detlef while he was great, and both Antonio and Dale while they still had future AS games in them and kept winning.

I agree with your premise, but disagree with its application in this situation.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wseward View Post
    via ESPN.... pure speculation but I could definitely see Pritchard trying to screw over the Blazers with the timing of everything.
    As a Front Office move, yes....I'd think that this is something that KP/DW would do. If I were the GM...my personal view of this is that if you want to go after my Free Agent, offer him a MAX contract and ( therefore ) seriously screwing with our ability to make moves.....I'm going to the same to you. Add in the past history of the Blazers that KP holds, I can see all the more reason to do this.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Yes. You don't go public with that unless you are announcing to the rest of the NBA that you've made your decision.

That said, Roy is signing a MAX offer. No team can offer him a better deal.
    You're forgetting the ever popular MAXX deal. It's better because it has an extra "X".

For all the debating on whether or not to match, one thing you and I are in total agreement is the facts of the case - Roy is either playing for POR or IND at 4/58m now. There's no other options unless perhaps a 3rd team wanted him on a SnT I suppose, and that drifts into the integrity issue. Plus I call 100% BULLS*** on the "mystery team" making an offer.

Sports Logo

I was thinking of this yesterday night....but let's assume the following:

A ) Hibbert gets the MAX ( either from matching the Blazers offer or getting a larger offer from the Pacers ). On average, Hibbert would get between $13.5 mil ( assuming a Pacers offer of $67.5 mil contract...basically what Nene got ) to $14.5 mil ( assuming the Pacers match the Blazers offer ) per season.

or

B ) The Pacers go after Kaman and pays him between $10 to 11 mil per season for 3 or 4 seasons ( IMHO, knowing that the Pacers are desperate, Kaman will probably ask for and get $11 mil per season )

The difference in Capspace per season that would be saved between going with Kaman as opposed to Hibbert would be between $2.5 mil to 4.5 mil for the next 3 to 4 seasons.

Add in that it's possible that DC ( owed $2.32 mil in 2012-2013 ) and/or Hansbrough ( owed $3 mil in 2012-2013 ) could be sent out in any trade.....we'd be looking at having between $4.8 mil ( if DC is just sent out ) to $9.8 mil ( if DC+Hansbrough is both sent out ) Salary that can be sent out.

What can we do with these savings in Capspace?

Maybe I am looking at this simplistically, but we are looking at the following options:

Option A ) Retaining just Hibbert

or

Option B ) Letting Hibbert go and then likely going after Kaman

Letting Hibbert go, going after Kaman would allow the Pacers to have the Capspace to get a quality Backup Player via a Trade or Free Agency ( even a decent Starter if the $$$ and deal works out right ) for more depth for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I'd rather keep Hibbert as I think that it is critical to retain Team Chemistry while recognizing that the only time that the Team was truly effective was when Hibbert's offense and defense were on the floor. He's a "Difference Maker", not one on the level of other MAX level Players....but IMHO a key piece to making this Team competitive.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-03-2012 at 01:58 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Plus I call 100% BULLS*** on the "mystery team" making an offer.
    Yeah, I'm still wondering what this 3rd Team is. Not a peep from any Team whose offering this 3rd contract.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

THE LESSON - if you "trade" Roy for Kaman (or something similar) you can certainly still be good or maybe even better due to the overall changes you are making. The Pacers have given up Person while he was good, Detlef while he was great, and both Antonio and Dale while they still had future AS games in them and kept winning.

It's highly plausible those Pacers teams would've been better had they kept Detlef Schrempf and Brad Miller.

Schrempf went on to play in two more All-Star teams, and an All-NBA 3rd Team, while being a key cog in a Sonics team that was every bit as good -- probably better -- than our teams.

Give us Brad Miller in that Eastern Conference Finals versus Detroit, and we very well might have an NBA Championship that season. His offensive talent would've prevented Detroit from double-teaming J.O., making us a much harder team to defend, and stopping Jermaine from becoming so beat-up.

As for your claim about us losing Hibbert is a recoverable event -- of course. With some shrewd moves and/or some luck, there's next to nothing that's not a recoverable situation. The question is: Why would you put yourself in a position where you need to recover from the loss of Roy Hibbert when you're in a position where you don't have to lose Roy Hibbert?

You're seemingly suggesting that we should lose one of the top young big men in the league for the sake of losing him. You've given no real justification for letting him walk besides pointing out that it's something that could be recovered from.

What are the better options to re-signing Roy? Maybe we can use that money to sign another 30-something coming off of knee surgery, or trade for another past-his-prime comboguard to come off the bench?

Banned
    Mood

Plus I call 100% BULLS*** on the "mystery team" making an offer.
    We know at least one team values Roy enough to pay him a max contract. I don't see why one more making the same offer is so unbelievable as to be labeled "********." That seems like either poor reasoning on your part, or an attempt at making Portland's view of Hibbert out to be an anomaly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I was thinking of this yesterday night....but let's assume the following:

A ) Hibbert gets the MAX ( either from matching the Blazers offer or getting a larger offer from the Pacers ). On average, Hibbert would get between $13.5 mil ( assuming a Pacers offer of $67.5 mil contract...basically what Nene got ) to $14.5 mil ( assuming the Pacers match the Blazers offer ) per season.

or

B ) The Pacers go after Kaman and pays him between $10 to 11 mil per season for 3 or 4 seasons ( IMHO, knowing that the Pacers are desperate, Kaman will probably ask for and get $11 mil per season )

The difference in Capspace per season that would be saved between going with Kaman as opposed to Hibbert would be between $2.5 mil to 4.5 mil for the next 3 to 4 seasons.

Add in that it's possible that DC ( owed $2.32 mil in 2012-2013 ) and/or Hansbrough ( owed $3 mil in 2012-2013 ) could be sent out in any trade.....we'd be looking at having between $4.8 mil ( if DC is just sent out ) to $9.8 mil ( if DC+Hansbrough is both sent out ) Salary that can be sent out.

What can we do with these savings in Capspace?

Maybe I am looking at this simplistically, but we are looking at the following options:

Option A ) Retaining just Hibbert

or

Option B ) Letting Hibbert go and then likely going after Kaman

Letting Hibbert go, going after Kaman would allow the Pacers to have the Capspace to get a quality Backup Player via a Trade or Free Agency ( even a decent Starter if the $$$ and deal works out right ) for more depth for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I'd rather keep Hibbert as I think that it is critical to retain Team Chemistry while recognizing that the only time that the Team was truly effective was when Hibbert's offense and defense were on the floor. He's a "Difference Maker", not one on the level of other MAX level Players....but IMHO a key piece to making this Team competitive.
    I think Hibbert can get more than that, all depends on the cap 14.5 if the cap is 58, and that is just from the Blazers, if we offer our max I believe it will be something closer to 15.5 or so, but option C offering Brook a 4yr 40 million contract and saving atleast 4.5 mill per year, and still getting a young guy with potential.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I think Hibbert can get more than that, all depends on the cap 14.5 if the cap is 58, and that is just from the Blazers, if we offer our max I believe it will be something closer to 15.5 or so, but option C offering Brook a 4yr 40 million contract and saving atleast 4.5 mill per year, and still getting a young guy with potential.
    If Howard isnt an option for the Nets, I don't see why the Nets won't match that offer. Also...my guess is that Brooks will get something closer to $12 mil per season. Besides...Kaman at $11 mil per season makes more sense if Hibbert isn't matched

Any chance that we can get back a future 1st round pick and having the Blazers take on Inferno as incentive for not matching?

I'd at the very least require that the Blazers take on Inferno's contract purely for Capclearing reasons to get more capspace to make runs at more Free Agents.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Just a quick reminder since Detlef's name keeps coming up. Don't forget Detlef told Donnie Walsh two things.... he wanted to start and if that couldn't happen he wanted to return out west and specifically named Seattle as a destination. Made things a lot easier when Brown wanted the trade for McKey too.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    LOL after reading that article and realizing the bad blood between Allen and Pritchard with the way things went down... it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if some of these worrisome quotes/opinions being reported by Wells (fed to him by KP), isn't to build up Allen's hope thinking he is gonna land Hibbert... then at last minute BLAM Pritchard comes in and matches at the most opportune time in which not only does Portland not get Roy, but they lose Batum because they put all their eggs in one basket... BRILLIANT if true .. and it would be the most ultimate and truly EPIC Pritch-Slap to date ...
    I don't think as high of Pritchard as most of you. I do think he is good, and I think he was brilliant with Paul Allen's money backing him, but Herb Simon is not going to be as free with his money. Plus it's Donnie Walsh who's in charge. So myself, I'll have to wait and see before deciding on Pritchard.

Something no one is talking about is if Hibbert actually signs a Portland contract, that contract might present a problem in itself, because of the Allen/Pritchard dynamics.

Portland doesn't want the Pacers matching so it's likely it could contain a poison pill of some kind. For instant not considering the math, or even if it's possible with the new CBA, but what if the money is back-end loaded in a way that would put the Pacers in luxury tax territory in it's last two years? Say the $58m is paid out thus, $8, $8, $21, $21.

Herbs not going to go for that! Then the Pacers would say 'we were going to match but we can't match it the way the contract is constructed.'

The Pacers HAVE to know any contract Hibbert signs is likely to contain a poison pill, thus if they truly want to keep Hibbert, they need to do something before he signs.

Mood

If Howard isnt an option for the Nets, I don't see why the Nets won't match that offer. Also...my guess is that Brooks will get something closer to $12 mil per season. Besides...Kaman at $11 mil per season makes more sense if Hibbert isn't matched
    I don't think Kaman at 11 makes more sense, young guy that has put up numbers that have been very good, had a bad injury last year and is trying to come back from it, but still with a lot of potential, over a Kaman, who most people know many of his issues, and strengths.

And I think Howard is still a possibility, even without Brook, but yeah I could see them trying to match.
    Why so SERIOUS

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I don't think as high of Pritchard as most of you. I do think he is good, and I think he was brilliant with Paul Allen's money backing him, but Herb Simon is not going to be as free with his money. Plus it's Donnie Walsh who's in charge. So myself, I'll have to wait and see before deciding on Pritchard.

Something no one is talking about is if Hibbert actually signs a Portland contract, that contract might present a problem in itself, because of the Allen/Pritchard dynamics.

Portland doesn't want the Pacers matching so it's likely it could contain a poison pill of some kind. For instant not considering the math, or even if it's possible with the new CBA, but what if the money is back-end loaded in a way that would put the Pacers in luxury tax territory in it's last two years? Say the $58m is paid out thus, $8, $8, $21, $21.

Herbs not going to go for that! Then the Pacers would say 'we were going to match but we can't match it the way the contract is constructed.'

The Pacers HAVE to know any contract Hibbert signs is likely to contain a poison pill, thus if they truly want to keep Hibbert, they need to do something before he signs.
    I thought "poison pills" could only be put into certain contracts? I didn't think every team could do this to every RFA and I don't think Roy's contract fits the qualifications.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I don't think Kaman at 11 makes more sense, young guy that has put up numbers that have been very good, had a bad injury last year and is trying to come back from it, but still with a lot of potential, over a Kaman, who most people know many of his issues, and strengths.

And I think Howard is still a possibility, even without Brook, but yeah I could see them trying to match.
    Believe me, I don't think that $11 mil makes sense either....but look at the situation that we are in IF we decide to not match Hibbert....we DESPERATELY need a Starting Quality Center and Kaman is the best UFA Center that is available. To me, he's worth $9 to 10 mil a year....but looking at our situation, after deciding NOT TO MATCH a much better and younger Center.....do you think that he and his Agent won't try to get the most out of the Pacers?

If Hibbert is not matched and KP/DW were able to get Kaman for $9.5mil per year for the next 3 seasons, I would HATE to lose Hibbert...but this softens the blow ( sure, it will sting for a while but I will live with it ) AS LONG AS IT MEANS that KP/DW will ACTUALLY use the saved Capspace to improve the depth of the Team ( if they don't and sit on it, I will be P*SSED ). But given what Asik got, I wouldn't be surprised if KP/DW end up getting him for $11 mil per season for 4 years. I don't like it...cuz I'd rather go with "Option A" as I mentioned above....but it would not surprise me one bit if Kaman got a $44 mil contract for 4 years.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Mood

Believe me, I don't think that $11 mil makes sense either....but look at the situation that we are in IF we decide to not match Hibbert....we DESPERATELY need a Starting Quality Center and Kaman is the best UFA Center that is available. To me, he's worth $9 to 10 mil a year....but looking at our situation, after deciding NOT TO MATCH a much better and younger Center.....do you think that he and his Agent won't try to get the most out of the Pacers?

If Hibbert is not matched and KP/DW were able to get Kaman for $9.5mil per year for the next 3 seasons, I would HATE to lose Hibbert...but this softens the blow ( sure, it will sting for a while but I will live with it ) AS LONG AS IT MEANS that KP/DW will ACTUALLY use the saved Capspace to improve the depth of the Team ( if they don't and sit on it, I will be P*SSED ). But given what Asik got, I wouldn't be surprised if KP/DW end up getting him for $11 mil per season for 4 years. I don't like it...cuz I'd rather go with "Option A" as I mentioned above....but it would not surprise me one bit if Kaman got a $44 mil contract for 4 years.
    Personally if Hibbert is not matched, I say trade Danny for a future pick and a young prospect, hopefully at the 4, then take our chances in the lottery next year trying to get a Superstar, maybe we will win it and get Noel.

I know this is kind of a negative approach, but I don't like being the team that is making the playoffs but not contending, and I feel that is all Kaman will get us, to old, and not enough potential to help in the long run.
    Why so SERIOUS

If we let Roy walk only to sign Kaman for 10+ million I'm punching Pritchard and Walsh the next time I see them

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    If we let Roy walk only to sign Kaman for 10+ million I'm punching Pritchard and Walsh the next time I see them

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I suggested this in the Nash thread....but what if letting Hibbert walk, getting Kaman for $10 mil frees up Capspace to allow the Pacers to make an offer that matches what the Raptors made to Nash ( $12 mil per year for 3 seasons....or even a better offer )?

I'd let Hibbert walk if it meant getting Nash, Kaman while allowing us to get better Players to improve the roster.

I suggested this in the Nash thread....but what if letting Hibbert walk, getting Kaman for $10 mil frees up Capspace to allow the Pacers to make an offer that matches what the Raptors made to Nash ( $12 mil per year for 3 seasons....or even a better offer )?

I'd let Hibbert walk if it meant getting Nash, Kaman while allowing us to get better Players to improve the roster.
    Just to add to this then the Pacers could go after Milsap next summer or trade for him using Tyler and whatever else to the Jazz. The Pacers could then extend him for David West money and have 0 drop off from the PF position and probably becomes more athletic and better defensively.