Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1305

Thread: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Exclamation Sam Amick (Sports Illustrated): Portland Offers Roy Hibbert Max

    I got this news from here: RealGM Portland offers max to Hibbert? Sam Amick

    Amick has his Tweets protected, so I don't know if it's legitimate or not. I'd imagine it is.

    Sam Amick (sam_amick) on Twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sam_amick
    Source: Portland GM Neil Olshey & team prez Larry Miller visited restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert tonight in DC, offered max deal

    sam_amick
    Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max.

  2. #2

    Default Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Apparently Blazers and one other unnamed team offered Roy the max and he's leaning towards Portland unless Pacers offer him max. They went to DC to see him. Looks like Roy won't give us the hometown discount. I'm on my phone so I can't post the whole link but Sam Amick's twitter is @sam_amick

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    We all knew this day was coming about half way through this season. This has been such a debate and really, I've never seen someone's perceived fair salary fluctuate so much. There were times last year I didn't think he deserved over 6mpy. Then this year there were times I thought 10mpy would be too much. Now he gets the max...

    What will the Pacers do? I don't think he is a max player, but who else could they possibly get to replace him? I don't think they could. The salary cap ramifications are huge for the club. Signing Hibbert to a max deal and signing G. Hill will make things tight again for years. Then there is PG. How good will be? Will he command a huge pay day as well?

    This is an important crossroads for the team.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Oh and, http://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick
    Sam Amick@sam_amick
    Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max.

  6. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    It's not really a crossroads. We match.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  8. #6

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a crossroads. We match.
    You don't know that, I think it's 50/50. And even if they do match it still creates a salary problem in the future. Hence a crossroads. Just because you want them to match doesn't mean they are going to.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,788

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    The way I see it is if Roy truly wants to be here next year he will be. If not then we will probably do a sign and trade. If it is all about money for Roy then the best of luck to him on another team. I'm sure we have plenty of backup plans if this happens.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  12. #8

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way I see it is if Roy truly wants to be here next year he will be. If not then we will probably do a sign and trade. If it is all about money for Roy then the best of luck to him on another team. I'm sure we have plenty of backup plans if this happens.



    s&t Hibbert/DC for Gordon/1st? It would set us back temporarily, but I don't see the point in paying Hibbert the max when he only plays 30 mpg and we don't have any guards or wings who can or will (Danny) get him the ball on a consistent basis.

    This could be a chance for Gordon to put his money where his mouth is. If he's really telling people he would sign here for less, this would be his opportunity. I'm sure NO would listen to a deal centered around Roy. They'd have a ridiculous front line.

    I'd really hate to lose Roy but I don't think he's worth the max

  13. #9
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,568

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    This is an entirely different topic of conversation really. But it really doesn't have much to do with Roy being "worth" the max. It has to do with the concept of a max contract in general.

    Roy's going to be on the same contract as Westbrook and Durant right? Well, if Roy'd made some All-NBA teams and whatever those stipulations are. That's not Roy's fault. He's absolutely as important to us as Durant is to OKC. He just isn't as good, and in turn our team isn't. Which is why the entire concept of a "max contract" is stupid. If a player's THAT good, he should be able to make 99% of the salary cap. Putting a cap on individual salaries just further limits markets, not just small markets, just markets in general. It deflates the actual value of incredibly great, REAL game changing players.

    Soft salary cap, fine. Max contract, stupid. Want real parity? There you go.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-01-2012 at 06:32 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member aaronb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Memphis Tenn
    Posts
    773

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a crossroads. We match.

    Then you lock yourself into a roster that isn't good enough to win anything. Or at least run that risk.

    I feel like having Perry Jones could have softened a Roy loss.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a crossroads. We match.
    I disagree. If they met with Nash and could get Kaman using Hibbert money and DC then you can easily still be great, just in a new way. Lots of other PG/C combos to be had.

    It's a risk to say Roy will be a max guy. If he isn't then you are screwed. I love him but massive gamble.

  18. #12
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,958
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    We are going to match, a crossroads implies two real possibilities, not resigning Roy isn't an option. We'll match if he decides to sign an offer sheet.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  20. #13

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    I'm sorry I didn't know you guys were Kevin Pritchard and Donnie Walsh incognito on this forum. It is a possibility that they don't match.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    play harder! focused444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    610
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    what would the approximate numbers be on a max deal for hibbert??

  23. #15
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,783

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what would the approximate numbers be on a max deal for hibbert??
    Around 4 years / $55 million if he signs offer sheet from Portland (or someone else not the Pacers).
    This is the darkest timeline.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,319

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Around 4 years / $55 million if he signs offer sheet from Portland (or someone else not the Pacers).
    what is that, 12M in his first year? that's not too bad at all.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:


  27. #17

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    It's 14MPY minus 1M over the contract. They can structure it differently to back load it, but it equals out to be that.

  28. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Around 4 years / $55 million if he signs offer sheet from Portland (or someone else not the Pacers).
    That's all? I thought it was going to be more than that. Noah, Mark Gasol, and Horford got at least that much. It's better if another team signs him to an offer sheet because then he'll only be locked in for 4 years instead 5.

  29. #19
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's all? I thought it was going to be more than that. Noah, Mark Gasol, and Horford got at least that much. It's better if another team signs him to an offer sheet because then he'll only be locked in for 4 years instead 5.
    It's actually 4/58... but still not as bad as ppl seem to think... the term 'max' contract is totally messing with peoples minds.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:


  31. #20

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's all? I thought it was going to be more than that. Noah, Mark Gasol, and Horford got at least that much. It's better if another team signs him to an offer sheet because then he'll only be locked in for 4 years instead 5.
    The contracts that Noah, Gasol, and Horford signed were in the prior CBA. It is not valid to compare the contracts signed in the old CBA to the contracts signed in the new CBA.

  32. #21
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,958
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Incredibly remote. It's Donnie Walsh back for petes sakes, he's a fan favorite, was largely expected to receive the max deal for quite some time, resigning our own free agents is well known to be the brass's top priority, and it isn't really that outrageous a max anyhow.

    I guarantee you they match, Walsh and Pritchard's first move in charge isn't going to be letting Roy Hibbert walk. It's by no means 50/50 unless you just mean there are two choices instead of how likely each one is.

  33. #22

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Yea the 50/50 thing is me just guessing. Anyway, enough banter with semantics. The crossroads I implied for the franchise is about the future and what a max deal for Hibbert and likely large contract for G Hill does for any other moves we make down the line for other free agents and Paul George etc..

  34. #23
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    You guys are making is sound like its an easy decision i dont think it is. im extremely hesitant to match i just dont think he is a max guy far to inconsistent

  35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  36. #24
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are making is sound like its an easy decision i dont think it is. im extremely hesitant to match i just dont think he is a max guy far to inconsistent
    #55 is an All-Star center in a league that sorely lacks bigs. One of our team's major weaknesses last season was a lack of size to back up Roy, we just took a first-round flyer on a decidedly mediocre seven footer because of that weakness, and you don't think this is an easy decision?
    Last edited by Reginald; 07-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,299

    Default Re: Portland offers Roy max (via Sam Amick)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are making is sound like its an easy decision i dont think it is. im extremely hesitant to match i just dont think he is a max guy far to inconsistent
    It's not just the inconsistency, it's his conditioning. He will never be more than a 30 minutes a game guy, and his production always declines after the first quarter as you can see he is physically gassed. Many games I saw him trying to get out of the game and Vogel ignoring him.

    I'm really torn. I view Hibbert as a 10mil a year guy. Very good defender and amazingly high character guy. Inconsistent but talented on offense with confidence issues and get's pushed around by physical centers.
    Danger Zone

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Question about contract offers
    By PacerDude in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 01:20 PM
  2. Offers Pouring In For Rubio
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •