Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...e-agency-looms

    Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Written by Mike Wells

    Indiana Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard kept the details vague but the team plans to be aggressive with free-agent center Roy Hibbert. Come Sunday morning at 12:01 a.m., the start of the NBA free agency period, the Pacers will be on Hibbert's doorstep making their pitch to re-sign the free agent center.

    "We'll absolutely be there," Pritchard said.


    The Pacers will also be meeting with free agent guard George Hill once he returns from vacation.

    The team's free agency strategy is simple. Re-sign Hibbert and Hill so they can keep their starting unit together, then add pieces to their bench.

    "Continuity moving forward with good teams is real important," Pritchard said. "You want to keep the same guys because for whatever reason they learn each other better. You look at the elite teams who have had success, they stay together with small changes.

    "This team isn't about blowing it up and starting it new. We have to keep the same pieces in place and we have to keep growing."

    The Pacers finished with the fifth best record in the league and advanced to the second round of the playoffs last season.

    Teams can only agree to contracts and trades during the moratorium period from Sunday through July 10. Starting July 11, deals can be signed.

    Hibbert and Hill are both restricted free agents, which means the Pacers can match any offer made to them. Teams have three days to match offers made to restricted free agents. The Pacers will likely match offers made to Hibbert and Hill.

    Both players have said in the past that they want to re-sign with the Pacers.

    Pacers owner Herb Simon told Pritchard and president Donnie Walsh that he is willing to spend money in order to improve the team.

    The Pacers will have about $10 million in salary cap space available without it impacting their ability to re-sign Hill and Hibbert.

    Point guard Darren Collison, who lost his starting job to Hill because of an injury at the end of the regular season, told the front office during his exit interview that he wants to return next season.

    "I'd love to have him back. Is it possible? I think so," Pritchard said. "At some point in time there might have to be changes made, but that's not our goal. He came up and told us he wants to be back."

    Center Kyrylo Fesenko is open to re-signing with the Pacers. He only played in three games after being acquired late in the season.

    Pritchard plans to work the phones in an attempt to add another big man and scorer on the wing. Guards Brandon Roy and O.J. Mayo are two wings players the Pacers plan to pursue. Jamal Crawford could also be a possibility.

    Roy, a former All Star, retired last season because of knee problems but he's attempting a comeback. He and Pritchard were together in Portland.

    Mayo became an unrestricted free agent Friday when the Memphis Grizzlies did not tender a qualifying offer to him. Former Pacers president Larry Bird tried on several occasions to trade for Mayo in the past.

    Crawford signed with Portland instead of the Pacers last season.


    The Pacers are also expected to contact point guard Deron Williams' agent, but the top free agent on the market is expected to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets or go to Dallas. Future Hall of Fame point guard Steve Nash also reportedly has a small list of teams he wants to sign with; however the Pacers aren't one of them.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-30-2012 at 01:36 PM.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    cool! I'm excited to see what Pacers FO has in store for us I still want OJ Mayo!

  4. #3
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    So we have a ten day period where we can line up other free agents to sign and use up our cap space, before we will have to sign/match our RFA... I knew about that in the past, but yet completely forgot about it. That makes me more comfortable we can at least add a nice piece.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    So technically Roy can't sign a deal until the 11th? So we would have 3 days to match after that.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,579

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    So there are some good things and a few bad things to take from this. We are actually going to try and add some major pieces. I would be very happy with Brandon Roy or OJ Mayo, although I think Roy would fit in better with our team. I know we aren't likely going to even come close to touching Williams, but at least the team is willing to make him an offer or contact him. Looks like this could get interesting.

  9. #6
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    I like that we can get people to agree 13 days before we have to match Hibby and Hill. PLENTY MORE time than I ever knew we had.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,028

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    I have it in my head that Mayo is already on the team since we have traded for him so many times already. Just get him here already, he knows we want him.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,184

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Dumb question: outside of showing our intent, what good does showing up at Hibbert's doorstep do for the Pacers? Aren't we at the mercy of another team's offer? I'm not sure what we can do.

  14. #9
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dumb question: outside of showing our intent, what good does showing up at Hibbert's doorstep do for the Pacers? Aren't we at the mercy of another team's offer? I'm not sure what we can do.
    Attempting to get a deal agreed on in principle so when we can sign we can quickly sign someone else then Hibbert.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    The team's free agency strategy is simple. Re-sign Hibbert and Hill so they can keep their starting unit together, then add pieces to their bench.

    "Continuity moving forward with good teams is real important," Pritchard said. "You want to keep the same guys because for whatever reason they learn each other better. You look at the elite teams who have had success, they stay together with small changes.
    Elite teams have success because they keep ELITE talent together. If all we do this offseason is upgrade our bench with overpriced free agents then we're gonna be Atlanta-like for the next few years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dumb question: outside of showing our intent, what good does showing up at Hibbert's doorstep do for the Pacers? Aren't we at the mercy of another team's offer? I'm not sure what we can do.
    Well first off I don't even think Hibbert will be home at 12:01 AM. He is traveling today. So I hope somebody gets that bit of info to KP so our front office doesnt look like buffoons.
    2nd. It might just be a figure of expression because most players refuse to meet with team about contracts without their agents present.
    3rd. The Pacers not at the mercy of any other teams offer, they are free to sign an agreement whenever they want. Infact most teams would rather control their own destiny and sign the player on their terms. Rahter than matching a contract some other team has come up with. Because my understanding is that when you match an offer it is the exact offer that the player signed. Not just the dollar figures.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  19. #12
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,184

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attempting to get a deal agreed on in principle so when we can sign we can quickly sign someone else then Hibbert.
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3rd. The Pacers not at the mercy of any other teams offer, they are free to sign an agreement whenever they want. Infact most teams would rather control their own destiny and sign the player on their terms. Rahter than matching a contract some other team has come up with. Because my understanding is that when you match an offer it is the exact offer that the player signed. Not just the dollar figures.
    I've never heard of a player (in demand) officially becoming a restricted free agent and then agreeing to terms with their original team without signing an offer sheet from another team first. Has that ever happened?

  20. #13
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never heard of a player (in demand) officially becoming a restricted free agent and then agreeing to terms with their original team without signing an offer sheet from another team first. Has that ever happened?
    If the player gets everything he wants in a deal and a "fair" salary proposition (that he thinks is fair) from his original team he might as well sign it. He would have no reason to sign another deal
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  21. #14
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never heard of a player (in demand) officially becoming a restricted free agent and then agreeing to terms with their original team without signing an offer sheet from another team first. Has that ever happened?
    If I remember right they can receive an offer sheet and not sign it, and show their home team the offer as leverage if they want the extra year and larger increases.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  22. #15

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    I didn't know about the 10 day waiting period, but it makes sense. If it wasn't for that rule teams with valuable RFAs would be held hostage by any team that could offer them and basically cut them off from any UFAs.

  23. #16
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells; Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

    Even a max deal for Roy would be in no way at all be nearly as crippling as Joe Johnson's. Our other "star" players are payed reasonably too, and our youth surrounding them is superior as well. Not signing Hibbert would be idiotic, and no GM would think that was a good idea, even if we have to slightly overpay. First year All-Star 25 year old centers are as rare as unicorns.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  2. How much do the Pacers miss George Hill?
    By Ace E.Anderson in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
  3. Pacers Will Wait on Extending Hibbert and Hill
    By Pacers24Colts12 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM
  4. Mike Wells George Hill article
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 01:50 AM
  5. Mike Wells discusses Pacers Free Agency on JMV
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •