Thread: JJ Hickson is now an unrestricted free agent

Banned

Default JJ Hickson is now an unrestricted free agent

@IAMAGM: Blazers decide not to give J.J. Hickson the $3.4M qualifying offer http://t.co/nsygeEdk

Sports Logo

Default Re: JJ Hickson is now an unrestricted free agent

Interesting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

No Way we go after him the only way is if he's the final option at the end of summer there's something about him why he cant find a home

Sports Logo

I would love to have him.....but I don't think that he will come cheap ( remember, there is only so much $$$ that could be spent ) and don't think that he will be happy taking a backup role....or ( at most ) be okay with waiting for West for a single season to get the Starting Spot.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with this guy? I mean real answers, not just "he sucks" or something like that. I just don't get what happened with him. I know playing along side of James made him look better than he probably was but still he seemed like a fairly skilled athletic big. Maybe not an all star but I thought at least a servicable player.

What has happened so that the guy has just dropped like a rock?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't think there's anything wrong with Hickson, it's just that he's not as good as his hype suggests. Though to be fair, he did have a nice stretch of games once he landed in Portland last year. Which makes the Blazers' refusal to give him a QO a bit puzzling.

He's ok as an end-of-bench guy that we hope to develop. Except that I think Plumlee and Pendergraph are filling those spots on the Pacers already. We need a vet to round out the rotation IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Hickson, it's just that he's not as good as his hype suggests. Though to be fair, he did have a nice stretch of games once he landed in Portland last year. Which makes the Blazers' refusal to give him a QO a bit puzzling.

He's ok as an end-of-bench guy that we hope to develop. Except that I think Plumlee and Pendergraph are filling those spots on the Pacers already. We need a vet to round out the rotation IMO.

Neil Olshey wants him back (for the right price of course) he just is trying to clear cap space they want to be active in free agency he said in his presser.

Peck his best season was the year after LBJ left if im not mistaken.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3 8 thee great t h View Post

there's something about him why he cant find a home

HORSEFEATHERS!

He played well in Cleveland and played well after coming to Portland. Practically everyday he was on the Other NBA PLayers thread with his game stats that I posted. I was unhappy when the Pacers wouldn't make an offer for him and Portland picked him up.

I wanted him as part of the trade of Murphy to Cleveland, and I still would like to have him. He's got size, length, and athleticism that the Pacers don't have. He is active, rebs, plays "D", can score, and a good teammate. He's proved he can play as a starter or off the bench. What else do you need?

The only PF the Pacers have on their team that is better than JJ is DWest. He's young with a bright future ahead of him. A bright future I wish was in a Pacers uni to be part of the core for the future. He wouldn't break the bank to sign either. With all this said, the Pacers won't talk to him.

Are truly being serious? He's started for 2 different teams, and you feel he'd be an ok end-of-bench player! NEITHER Plumlee nor Pendergraph will be better than JJ.

Most of the time I agree with your thoughts, but this time we aren't anywhere near agreement.

Seems JJ is either a bad teammate or just lazy. I think we could correct that. I'd like for the Pacers to get him if the price is right. Trade Hans for Reggie Jackson on OKC or something.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Are truly being serious? He's started for 2 different teams, and you feel he'd be an ok end-of-bench player! NEITHER Plumlee nor Pendergraph will be better than JJ.
    Yeah, I could have phrased it better

Hickson is obviously better than those 2 guys. But our 2 guys are signed for cheap plus we seem to be committed to their development. In any case we're talking about the 4th and 5th bigs here, maybe even 5th and 6th.

My problem with Hickson is that I see him filling more or less the same slot (maybe 4th big at best). If you think he's a potential starter then that's obviously where our disagreement lies.

Yeah, I could have phrased it better

Hickson is obviously better than those 2 guys. But our 2 guys are signed for cheap plus we seem to be committed to their development. In any case we're talking about the 4th and 5th bigs here, maybe even 5th and 6th.

My problem with Hickson is that I see him filling more or less the same slot (maybe 4th big at best). If you think he's a potential starter then that's obviously where our disagreement lies.

Yes, I feel he has the capability to be a starter or the 6th man off the bench, so we'll have to disagree.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we could get Hickson and trade Hans for a shooter I believe it would help our team.

RLeWorm

pass.

not sure if this deserves its own thread, but just gonna throw it out there that Anthony Randolph also is an unrestricted FA

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Can someone explain to me what is wrong with this guy? I mean real answers, not just "he sucks" or something like that. I just don't get what happened with him. I know playing along side of James made him look better than he probably was but still he seemed like a fairly skilled athletic big. Maybe not an all star but I thought at least a servicable player.

What has happened so that the guy has just dropped like a rock?
    The guy definitely has skills cuz he put up 15ppg/8rpg in 19 games at the end of the season while filling in for Aldridge. The Kings bought him out after sending Casspi and a 1st for him and then the Blazers not choosing to not to give him a Qualifying Offer to make him a RFA. The Kings have been continually trying to fill their PF needs prior to getting him...so it wasn't like he didn't help out. I'm guessing that the Blazers want to clear up CapSpace to make a serious run at FAs. But still....you have to wonder if there are some other off / on court issues that this guy has that isn't public.

The guy can clearly play....but something is missing here.

Regardless, I'm guessing that the Warriors will probably land him as a backup PF/C. They were interested in him before.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    HORSEFEATHERS!

He played well in Cleveland and played well after coming to Portland. Practically everyday he was on the Other NBA PLayers thread with his game stats that I posted. I was unhappy when the Pacers wouldn't make an offer for him and Portland picked him up.

I wanted him as part of the trade of Murphy to Cleveland, and I still would like to have him. He's got size, length, and athleticism that the Pacers don't have. He is active, rebs, plays "D", can score, and a good teammate. He's proved he can play as a starter or off the bench. What else do you need?

The only PF the Pacers have on their team that is better than JJ is DWest. He's young with a bright future ahead of him. A bright future I wish was in a Pacers uni to be part of the core for the future. He wouldn't break the bank to sign either. With all this said, the Pacers won't talk to him.
    I think that "3 8 thee great t h" is just saying the same thing that Peck and I are saying.....there's something else that is going on with this guy that the Stats don't tell us about why he's been on 3 Teams over the last 3 seasons. I don't question his talent....I'm questioning why Teams aren't choosing to keep him.