Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the maxim price you would sign Hill for?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What is the maxim price you would sign Hill for?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn....always forget about the $1 bids.
    I bet you also forgot to have your pet spayed or neutered, too. For shame, sir. For shame.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

J7F

5-5.5 mil AND no more!

After seeing what some posters are willing to pay, it's classic overvaluing Hill, b/c he's a Pacer. If some other team wants to pay more, let him walk with good wishes. He's a combo guard that is a bench player for other teams. Other than the Pacers where is he going to find another team where he can start?

Here are some players for comparison.

Lowry 5.7 mil... Hill isn't as good as Lowry

Jack 5.4 mil... combo guard like Hill

Ridnour 4 mil... combo guard

Lou Williams 5.3 mil... combo guard

Chalmers 4 mil

Sessions 4.5 mil

Conley 6.6 mil... Hill not as good

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It kind of depends on who else is available (i.e. I would sign Nash for $10 mil or take Gordon in a S&T over re-signing Hill). But a max of $7.5/year feels right.

MLE. Looking at all of his skills accumulatively, you basically have a Jarrett Jack level of player, with different strengths and weaknesses. You know what the FO did that time, but the circumstances are a bit different: he's a local boy, we have more $, etc.

I hope we don't go over 6.5.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    MLE. Looking at all of his skills accumulatively, you basically have a Jarrett Jack level of player, with different strengths and weaknesses. You know what the FO did that time, but the circumstances are a bit different: he's a local boy, we have more $, etc.

I hope we don't go over 6.5.
    Hill is miles better than Jack.......

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    5-5.5 mil AND no more!

After seeing what some posters are willing to pay, it's classic overvaluing Hill, b/c he's a Pacer. If some other team wants to pay more, let him walk with good wishes. He's a combo guard that is a bench player for other teams. Other than the Pacers where is he going to find another team where he can start?

Chalmers 4 mil

Sessions 4.5 mil

You listing those players make me believe Hill is worth much more. Hill is better than Conley. There is more than one part of Hill's game. He is much better than all of the rest but Lowry...... If you let him walk, who are you going to sign. You will over pay for a lesser player......

5-5.5 mil AND no more!

Chalmers 4 mil

Sessions 4.5 mil

I think Hill is better than all of those players with the exception of Lowry. It just depends what you value in your PG/combo guard. People forget how much better of a record the team had with Hill in the lineup as opposed to when he was injured. Hill's presence, though inconsistent, was a big part of our success last year.

Do I overpay for him? No I do not. But he's def better than most of those guys listed above

I'd honestly wait on Hill and see what kind of offers he's getting. I'd offer a qualifying offer of $6M and see if a team is willing to best that. I have a feeling that not many teams are looking at Hill.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Conley is a better player than Hill and personally, i'd put him on par with JJ.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Conley is a better player than Hill and personally, i'd put him on par with JJ.
    I don't think you will find that an opinion that many share. I think Hill is a much better player than Conley because he can do more, is a better defender and can play the 2.......

Conley actually knows how to run a team's offense, which is... you know... what a point guard is supposed to do.

Hill's defense is nice, but we all saw how stagnant the offense sometimes got with Hill running the team.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Hill is nowhere near Conley's level, be serious. Next I'm going to read that Hibbert is better than Bynum and Hansbrough better than Bosh.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Conley is a better PG than Hill, but I think the argument could be made that Hill is a better player than Conley, with the ability to play both guard spots.

Not making the argument necessarily, but I think it could be made. I don't watch Memphis enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Depends on who is writing the contract... With DW writing it I could see 9mil +

and Hibbert signed to the max.... whatever that is now.

Those aren't my numbers, they are the type of numbers I'd expect DW to offer/agree to.
    You're dead on. DW always overpaid and limited the team's options. That's why we lost Brad Miller.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Mood

He has not had any type of offseason working as the PG of this team, he did not do a horrible job, he was our most efficient scorer last year, and often we really have not used our PG as a real PG anyways. It is hard to try to judge a person on something they really have not been asked to do.

I think he is worth atleast 6.8 and will probably get more.

And just for comparison sake, Rodney Stuckey plays a similar role at times and is making 8.5, also Conley is not just making 6.5 it is more like 7.9 million the deal is just structured as one that increases over the years and eventually gets up to 9.7 million.
    Why so SERIOUS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think Hill is better than all of those players with the exception of Lowry. It just depends what you value in your PG/combo guard. People forget how much better of a record the team had with Hill in the lineup as opposed to when he was injured. Hill's presence, though inconsistent, was a big part of our success last year.

Do I overpay for him? No I do not. But he's def better than most of those guys listed above

The point wasn't whether others are better than Hill, BUT what others were making compared to ridiculously overpaying Hill. Most overpaid players get overpaid by their own teams. Nelson just opted out of his 8.5 mil contract with the Magic. Otis Smith did what so many GM do by overpaying to keep their own player. This is EXACTLY what I don't want to see the Walsh do with Hill. He overpaid to keep Tinsley, so don't duplicate the same mistake again, especially when Hill isn't even a true PG. I don't want to see Hill get overpaid just b/c he's supposedly the best PG on the roster. If so, what's that saying much about the quality of the Pacers PG?

Again, Hill is a bench combo guard who is playing starting PG, b/c the Pacers don't have a better PG. Why overpay for mediocrity at best? Trade for Lowry who is paid a reasonable salary, or sign someone like Felton at a reasonable salary.

If you pay 7-8 mil to re-sign Hill, that becomes added cost on top of everthing else that was involved in the trade for Hill. While Leonard is on his rookie contract, the cost of keeping Hill skyrockets the expense of having done the trade for the length of Leonard's contract. Hill was traded for as a bench player for the 2nd unit when he was on a rookie contract. Now, the cost of HIll is greatly increasing with a new contact less than a year later. From a business standpoint, that trade moneywise just doesn't look that good now. If Hill gets 7 mil next season and Leonard's salary is 1.8 mil, that trade just cost Herb over 5 mil each year of Leonard's contract. By not having traded the pick, the Pacers would have had millions more in cap space to apply towards a "true PG" that fits the Pacers needs. JMOAA

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Hill is nowhere near Conley's level, be serious. Next I'm going to read that Hibbert is better than Bynum and Hansbrough better than Bosh.
    You make it sound like Conley is an all star level PG or something

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    He has not had any type of offseason working as the PG of this team, he did not do a horrible job, he was our most efficient scorer last year, and often we really have not used our PG as a real PG anyways. It is hard to try to judge a person on something they really have not been asked to do.

I think he is worth atleast 6.8 and will probably get more.

And just for comparison sake, Rodney Stuckey plays a similar role at times and is making 8.5, also Conley is not just making 6.5 it is more like 7.9 million the deal is just structured as one that increases over the years and eventually gets up to 9.7 million.
    Also you need to think about the time in which thee people got these contracts, when Lowry signed his deal he was coming off a year where he was playing about 21 min per game, with 7.6 points, and like 3 assist per game.

Also consider that Lou Williams just opted out of a contract that would pay him 6.39 million because he feels he can get more than that in free agency.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

The point wasn't whether others are better than Hill, BUT what others were making compared to ridiculously overpaying Hill. Most overpaid players get overpaid by their own teams. Nelson just opted out of his 8.5 mil contract with the Magic. Otis Smith did what so many GM do by overpaying to keep their own player. This is EXACTLY what I don't want to see the Walsh do with Hill. He overpaid to keep Tinsley, so don't duplicate the same mistake again, especially when Hill isn't even a true PG. I don't want to see Hill get overpaid just b/c he's supposedly the best PG on the roster. If so, what's that saying much about the quality of the Pacers PG?

Again, Hill is a bench combo guard who is playing starting PG, b/c the Pacers don't have a better PG. Why overpay for mediocrity at best? Trade for Lowry who is paid a reasonable salary, or sign someone like Felton at a reasonable salary.

If you pay 7-8 mil to re-sign Hill, that becomes added cost on top of everthing else that was involved in the trade for Hill. While Leonard is on his rookie contract, the cost of keeping Hill skyrockets the expense of having done the trade for the length of Leonard's contract. Hill was traded for as a bench player for the 2nd unit when he was on a rookie contract. Now, the cost of HIll is greatly increasing with a new contact less than a year later. From a business standpoint, that trade moneywise just doesn't look that good now. If Hill gets 7 mil next season and Leonard's salary is 1.8 mil, that trade just cost Herb over 5 mil each year of Leonard's contract. By not having traded the pick, the Pacers would have had millions more in cap space to apply towards a "true PG" that fits the Pacers needs. JMOAA
    Hope you saw where I said that Conley is actually making 7.9 per year over the length of his contract.
    Why so SERIOUS

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    You make it sound like Conley is an all star level PG or something
    No, I make it sound like Hill is a quality backup guard who lacks above average passing or playmaking (aka point guard) skills, who we had starting as a square peg for a round hole. And what do you know, that's exactly what it is.

George Hill is a really good backup, like $6 million a year good, but no higher. He could start at SG in a pinch, but that isn't going to happen here. If the Pacers are serious about improving he won't be starting at point guard (for long, anyway). And to the guy who brought up Stuckey, yeah, that's considered a bad contract.

I'd go as high as 7.5 which i think is fair and if its offered i think we will see Hill in the Pacers jersey again

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I would keep the first year below 6. But on average around 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    $4 or $5 million. Hill isn't a starting caliber PG in this league and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be paying a backup combo guard with questionable decision making and lazy defense $7 million per season. There's likely to be better and possibly cheaper options available.

Right-o. He's a 6th man who should primarily be at SG and only see spot duty at PG due to injury or foul trouble. I wouldn't mind just seeing him walk. His best attribute has more to do with his personality than his skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Hope you saw where I said that Conley is actually making 7.9 per year over the length of his contract.

Yes, I saw it. As of today he's making 6.6 mil. Next season, IIRC, he making 7.3 mil. He's making more, b/c he's a better PG than Hill. I don't want to see Walsh pay Hill Conley money when Hill isn't as good.

He's also not as good as Lowry at 5.7 mil, so he should make less. 5-5.5 mil is the MOST the Pacers should sign Hill for, but I wouldn't hold my breath or bet the farm on that's what the Pacers will sign him for with Walsh in charge.