Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Miles Plumlee deserves a chance

Default Re: Why Miles Plumlee deserves a chance

I didn't like the pick, but I will give him a chance. I think it is a bit premature to want to chop his head off without him playing a minute of NBA basketball.
    DG for 3

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't like the pick, but I will give him a chance. I think it is a bit premature to want to chop his head off without him playing a minute of NBA basketball.
    but what if we chop it off and it becomes his little brother?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Well shoot, I wonder what the Pacers, bulls, heat, bobcats, hawks, and several other teams must have been watching all this time? Because if he can only score that much against those teams, he'll never play a minute in the NBA. At least according to the resident scout, Slick Pinkham...
    The previous poster cited quality of competition as being a stat-inflator for Jeff Foster in college and a stat-suppressor for Miles Stifflee. I merely cited evidence to the contrary, performances against lesser competition. Miles did get 22 rebounds vs. Maryland, so maybe we got us the next Kevin Love.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This team needs to add depth down low. We added a guy who knows how to win, has a decent motor, is athletic, and comes from a winning background. He's an NBA ready back up whose 7 foot and can jump out of the gym.

At pick 26, how can you hate this move? This automatically makes our front court depth stronger.
    See, I don't really buy that bolded crap. Do we not forget that Hansbrough was supposed to know how to win? He didn't seem to have any bright, glowing moments of winningness that really stand out in my mind. For a guy who kicked a bunch of *** in 4 years of college, and to be hyped as a guy who "knows how to win" and "has championship experience", he didn't really bring enough to the table when it came to our lack of a championship run.

I'm not trying to burn on you directly, but I hate when people use those kinds of clichés as "heavy points" to describe players. If that was the case, there would have been more people rooting for the trade-up for Austin Rivers, because THAT kid knows how to win games (with his own buzzer-beating 3-point shots), and definitely has an "NBA winner's mentality" (oh, thanks, Dad). I don't know if that was just a fault on Hansbrough's part, by drinking so many 40's (IN A BAG, IN A BAR) that he drowned "Psycho T", or if he just didn't translate to the NBA, like I said he wouldn't.

Regardless, I'm not as down on the Plumlee pick as I was, because he's a legit 7-footer, he's incredibly athletic, and he can do some things. And some stuff. He'll be a good addition. But don't think for a second that, just because he "knows how to win", he'll be an instant 10+ games won strictly on what he does. However (and I'll be saying this for a while), there is NO way he's worse than Hansbrough, so any positive is a positive.

However, Orlando Johnson has the potential to be THAT guy. He might NOT know how to win (20-11 for UCSB isn't bad), so I'm sure he's got a craving to learn what it feels like to win more than 20 games (or go better than .550) in one season.

Only moderately disappointing draft night. I can't wait to see how these guys perform. And I'm really wondering what's going to happen with Lance Stephenson. Can he, Hill, OJ, and Paul play in the same rotation? Can Lance play his position, except... at... PG?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I've been saying plenty of harsh things about Plumlee, but I'm willing to give him a shot. He put on these workout wonder displays to impress everybody and work his way up in the draft to this spot, so at the very least I expect a very strong work ethic from him to try to live up to what he convinced Bird and others he could become. He has a lot to prove in my view.

I could see him contributing as a backup at PF and C as a homeless man's Zeller at the very least. I hope the Pacers work hard to speed up his skill development. Hibbert needs to toughen him up with his MMA training.

This is one of the only Bird picks that I really disliked, but he usually has pretty good instincts outside of a few guys who turned out to have character issues. I don't expect that type of problem out of Plumlee, so I'll give him a chance. I really think he should be busting his behind during the offseasons if he's going to ever learn how to use those incredible physical gifts. He should be Hibbert's shadow, trying to learn everything he can. Thank goodness Plumlee actually has a skilled center on this team to learn from. If he can't learn something from guarding an All-Star center every day in practice, he's hopeless.

Acquiring that 2nd rounder for Orlando Johnson softened the blow of getting Plumlee over Jones, Taylor, or Moultrie. I wouldn't have complained much if Johnson was our pick at 26, so the overall outcome of our draft wasn't bad. I actually like Johnson quite a bit. He's a terrific shooter, is extremely athletic, and has great defensive potential. I'm very happy with this pick.

Before I try to sleep off my frustrations, I'll end on a positive note. I will present you with the stat of the night.

Average vertical leap of our 2012 draft picks: 39.75 inches. How often does that happen?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Average vertical leap of our 2012 draft picks: 39.75 inches. How often does that happen?
    I mean, if NOTHING else, we did get a lot more athletic tonight

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never watched a Duke game and though he was a freak athlete or even remotely close to being one of the best players on the court. Maybe he'll be a better pro though. He deserves a chance, and he'll get it. I just hope he proves everyone wrong for the team's sake.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I've been saying plenty of harsh things about Plumlee, but I'm willing to give him a shot. He put on these workout wonder displays to impress everybody and work his way up in the draft to this spot, so at the very least I expect a very strong work ethic from him to try to live up to what he convinced Bird and others he could become. He has a lot to prove in my view.

I could see him contributing as a backup at PF and C as a homeless man's Zeller at the very least. I hope the Pacers work hard to speed up his skill development. Hibbert needs to toughen him up with his MMA training.

This is one of the only Bird picks that I really disliked, but he usually has pretty good instincts outside of a few guys who turned out to have character issues. I don't expect that type of problem out of Plumlee, so I'll give him a chance. I really think he should be busting his behind during the offseasons if he's going to ever learn how to use those incredible physical gifts. He should be Hibbert's shadow, trying to learn everything he can. Thank goodness Plumlee actually has a skilled center on this team to learn from. If he can't learn something from guarding an All-Star center every day in practice, he's hopeless.

Acquiring that 2nd rounder for Orlando Johnson softened the blow of getting Plumlee over Jones, Taylor, or Moultrie. I wouldn't have complained much if Johnson was our pick at 26, so the overall outcome of our draft wasn't bad. I actually like Johnson quite a bit. He's a terrific shooter, is extremely athletic, and has great defensive potential. I'm very happy with this pick.

Before I try to sleep off my frustrations, I'll end on a positive note. I will present you with the stat of the night.

Good Lord people he played at DUKE with a bunch of "shooting G's" and NO PG's.......

He did what coach K wanted him to do. He was NOT asked to score. At 26 did any of you really expect to get the next David Robinson?

chill folks...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

For me, Plumlee deserves a chance simply because Bird has a solid drafting history and has earned the benefit of the doubt. I still think we reached, but if Bird felt he was our guy, and didn't want to risk another team drafting him, well he's the best judge of the situation.

Reading his DX profile, I'm mildly encouraged by his rebounding rate and by his screening ability, enough that I see where the Jeff Foster comparisons are coming from. So I think we can count on at least these 2 skills translating. But it's worth remembering that it took Jeff Foster a few years to become, well, Jeff Foster, so I think we'll have to expect Plumlee to be terrible his first couple of seasons.

Regarding his combine measurements, well Joe Alexander looked awesome in workouts too. I don't think we should give much weight to that.

And on players we passed on, I'm not upset about passing on Perry Jones, who I think has a lot of bust potential in his own right. Not going to angst about passing on a guy like Jeff Taylor either, since we apparently liked Orlando Johnson as the wing option better or at least as much anyway. I think we may regret passing on Quincy Miller though, who I think could be a stud scorer down the road. Obviously our FO feels differently.

Why can't we move on from players. Foster was nice, Dale Davis was a beast, etc. How about actually reach for something new/better instead of something that is similar, cause ultimately, that player will NEVER live up to the original.

You can't tell me Plumlee is better than Moultrie and a hobbled PJIII? I don't see it. Yeah, it's the 26th pick, so you don't expect a starter, but Moultrie and PJIII have the upside to be starters in this league, so you should just take the best player available. That should be a gimmie.

I'm pissed, but I'll get over it. I was pissed when the Pacers passed on Jrue Holiday and took Hans. I was mildly upset when the Pacers traded a first, second and filler for Hill (who may still walk), when I thought the Pacers should have traded down to take MarShon Brooks. Probably could have had another first this year had the Pacers traded down.

I like Bird and what he's done to a degree. So his 3 year plan was more like 4. He didn't make decisions that crippled the franchise. However, in the draft, he puts blinders on for one person.

Orlando Johnson was a solid pick, but I still question if it was the right one. While solid, the Pacers have Lance Stephenson and DJ at sg, yet no backup for Granger and Quincy Miller was still on the board. Maybe Miller won't amount to much, but he's got more upside than Johnson, he's 6'10 at the SF spot and only 19. He's going to get better; the dude put up 11pts 5boards, 2dimes, and just under 1steal/block per game...coming off ACL surgery. He's going to get better.

Pacers drafting Moultrie/PJIII along with Quincy Miller would have been an A draft.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I slept on it, and I am still mad as hell.

Hope I am wrong.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I'm more optimistic about Magnum Rolle than Miles Plumlee.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

Orlando Johnson was a solid pick, but I still question if it was the right one. While solid, the Pacers have Lance Stephenson and DJ at sg, yet no backup for Granger and Quincy Miller was still on the board. Maybe Miller won't amount to much, but he's got more upside than Johnson, he's 6'10 at the SF spot and only 19. He's going to get better; the dude put up 11pts 5boards, 2dimes, and just under 1steal/block per game...coming off ACL surgery. He's going to get better.
    Ye gods and little fishes, I just realized we passed on Quincy Miller TWICE. I think I'm about to have a Seth-style meltdown.

Ok, maybe not. I like OJ too, but I think Q Miller is going to be a stud scorer down the road. In fact, he'd be my upside pick at 26, not PJ3.

I guess we're serious about getting players who are ready to contribute. But on the other hand, how do you explain Plumlee?? I consider him a project player too. It's a puzzle

Whatever, we'll see what if anything he can do. Picks in the late 20's are generally inconsequential, hell the last time we had a pick in this range we picked Primoz Brezec and that really had no impact on our franchise one way or the other. If Vogel can light a fire under him and make him embrace contract he may develop into a decent rotational player.

And I'm predicting that 3 years from now no one on this board will know who Perry Jones III or Quincy Miller are.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    For me, Plumlee deserves a chance simply because Bird has a solid drafting history and has earned the benefit of the doubt. I still think we reached, but if Bird felt he was our guy, and didn't want to risk another team drafting him, well he's the best judge of the situation.

Reading his DX profile, I'm mildly encouraged by his rebounding rate and by his screening ability, enough that I see where the Jeff Foster comparisons are coming from. So I think we can count on at least these 2 skills translating. But it's worth remembering that it took Jeff Foster a few years to become, well, Jeff Foster, so I think we'll have to expect Plumlee to be terrible his first couple of seasons.

Regarding his combine measurements, well Joe Alexander looked awesome in workouts too. I don't think we should give much weight to that.

And on players we passed on, I'm not upset about passing on Perry Jones, who I think has a lot of bust potential in his own right. Not going to angst about passing on a guy like Jeff Taylor either, since we apparently liked Orlando Johnson as the wing option better or at least as much anyway. I think we may regret passing on Quincy Miller though, who I think could be a stud scorer down the road. Obviously our FO feels differently.
    More like a up and down drafting history...
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Ye gods and little fishes, I just realized we passed on Quincy Miller TWICE. I think I'm about to have a Seth-style meltdown.

Ok, maybe not. I like OJ too, but I think Q Miller is going to be a stud scorer down the road. In fact, he'd be my upside pick at 26, not PJ3.

I guess we're serious about getting players who are ready to contribute. But on the other hand, how do you explain Plumlee?? I consider him a project player too. It's a puzzle
    Ok, would you rather have a 20/21 year old with crazy athleticism as a project or a 24 year with almost no upside as a project. Decisions are just so hard. Quick, ask Bird. "Who's like Foster"

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, wrong answer Bird. The correct answer was PJIII or Moultrie.

Now really free Lance!

Very athletic basketball players have good balance, good hand-eye coordination, fluid movement, quick feet, agility, speed, quickness, endurance, strength, and leaping ability.

Scoring even extremely well on a no-step vertical jump drill, period, does not make anyone a great athlete for a basketball player anymore than quickly solving a Sudoku puzzle makes someone an analytical genius.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    More like a up and down drafting history...
    Most of the "downs" were specifically related to character issues. As anyone could see from my posts last night, I was not fond of this pick, but I don't expect Plumlee to have any character issues that tended to be prevalent in Bird picks that didn't work out.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Orlando Johnson has a different skill set than Stephenson and D. Jones. Johnson happens to be an excellent shooter, which is something this team needs. Johnson's coach also bragged about his incredible work ethic, which seems to be a crucial factor regarding how our draft picks in recent years have or have not worked out. I think Johnson could be an excellent fit here.

Also, why do you present D. Jones as though he is strictly limited to the SG position? He can guard either wing position as a backup.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

You can't tell me Plumlee is better than Moultrie and a hobbled PJIII?

Pacers drafting Moultrie/PJIII along with Quincy Miller would have been an A draft.

OR Jeff Taylor.

I like the Orlano Johnson pick. It smooths out the overall draft for me. I can see why they drafted him as a scorer off the bench. Dahntay is gone after this year, and maybe traded this off season. Stephenson is Bird's pet project and no guarantee he's going to make it.

Quincy Miller was a player I was interested in at #26. I just hope not drafting him at #26 doesn't come back to bite the Pacers. "IF" the Pacers had drafted Quincy at #26 with Orlando in the 2nd, I would have been extremely elated with the draft.

Cleveland did trade end up trading their #33 & 34 picks that I wanted the Pacers to get. Grrr. Pacers could have gotten both Quincy and Orlando as 2nd rdrs for less money than Plumlee and with unguaranteed contracts.

FWIW, DX on Sunday's mock had Plumlee being drafted at #34.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    OR Jeff Taylor.

I like the Orlano Johnson pick. It smooths out the overall draft for me. I can see why they drafted him as a scorer off the bench. Dahntay is gone after this year, and maybe traded this off season. Stephenson is Bird's pet project and no guarantee he's going to make it.

Quincy Miller was a player I was interested in at #26. I just hope not drafting him at #26 doesn't come back to bite the Pacers. "IF" the Pacers had drafted Quincy at #26 with Orlando in the 2nd, I would have been extremely elated with the draft.

Cleveland did trade end up trading their #33 & 34 picks that I wanted the Pacers to get. Grrr. Pacers could have gotten both Quincy and Orlando as 2nd rdrs for less money than Plumlee and with unguaranteed contracts.

FWIW, DX on Sunday's mock had Plumlee being drafted at #34.
    Interesting Imagine if we would have drafted PJIII and Miller, would have been interesting. I actually have more concerns about PJIII than Miller in our offense, but I think PJIII struck it rich getting put in the OKC system, he should really grow there.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Interesting Imagine if we would have drafted PJIII and Miller, would have been interesting. I actually have more concerns about PJIII than Miller in our offense, but I think PJIII struck it rich getting put in the OKC system, he should really grow there.
    I just think with our coaching staff and the hard working guys that we already have, PJIII would have made sense. He's got skills, but lacking in the motivation. I'm more than positive our guys/staff would get the most out of PJIII. Oh well, hope he proves every team that passed on him wrong.

I really want this draft stickied, so we can come back in a few years and see if the majority of us were wrong or right.

Now really free Lance!

Btw, I am a little late to the party, but I will point out that vertical is a few inches higher than our very own leaper in PG... So there is definitely some big time athletic potential from the guys we drafted... I really hope they prove me wrong, I was not happy at the pick at all, but im trying to change my own mind.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Btw, I am a little late to the party, but I will point out that vertical is a few inches higher than our very own leaper in PG... So there is definitely some big time athletic potential from the guys we drafted... I really hope they prove me wrong, I was not happy at the pick at all, but im trying to change my own mind.
    I think everyone is unhappy about the pick because better value was there at every level.

The comparison to Jeff Foster is hilarious to me. Jeff was a veteran sub par starter who had very little offensive game what so ever. Miles will be lucky to be a Jeff Foster and even if he is you don't pass up players with more potential than Jeff Foster who drop to your lap in the late first.

Personally I am glad Bird is gone from doing the drafts and this will be like the Brandon Rush Roy Hibbert picks where I am more excited about the second pick than I am the first.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Can't believe some are still pouting like babies because the guys they overrated didn't get picked with a late 1st round pick. And I really love how everyone brings out the stat sheet with Plumlee, but not a few of you would have liked Fab Melo. Whatever. The Pacers went with the guy who impressed them, and our bench got such a significant shot in the arm with both picks that we're pretty much done in that department.