Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    This has got to be the lowest moment I can remember while being a Pacer fan. Had a guy with star potential handed to you and didn't have the sense to take it. Team had momentum from the season, the post season and had the fans excited and then end up with this. So the arena will continue to be empty again. The Pacers wasted another chance to win people over. Nobody will pay to watch Plumlee. This is mind boggling.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    More often than not, this board commits mass suicide when not necessary, but this is not one of those times.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Lowest moment!? Didn't we have our team fight fans in the middle of a game? Please be satirical.

  6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #4

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    I meant at the draft. Of course it is not worse than the brawl. Sorry

  8. #5
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    I would not say empty them, but I think it will slow down the ticket sales, not because people won't want to see Plumlee play but it kind of took the excitement out of many fans. I don't think drafting PJIII would have boosted them much but it probably would have kept them at the same rate. I actually got kind of turned off when I saw the email that was sent out about purchasing season tickets earlier.
    Why so SERIOUS

  9. #6
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Seriously? The casual fan isn't paying attention to who the Pacers drafted at 26. We just went to the second round and battled the Heat, who won the championship. You are delusional if you think this has any impact on attendance.

  10. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  11. #7

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Are you serious? We won 2 games against the Heat without one of the best big men in the league. May not have won 1 game if they had Bosh for the series. You think the casual fan doesn't pay attention to who the team drafts. Haven't you even read this message board? The casual fan doesn't make the difference at the box office. The rabid fan does and they are pissed.

  12. #8
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you serious? We won 2 games against the Heat without one of the best big men in the league. May not have won 1 game if they had Bosh for the series. You think the casual fan doesn't pay attention to who the team drafts. Haven't you even read this message board? The casual fan doesn't make the difference at the box office. The rabid fan does and they are pissed.

    You couldn't be more off base. The casual fan does make the difference at the box office. Everyone on PD supported the team through the past seven years and sure as hell isn't going to stop after our best season in a long time because they don't like our late first round pick.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:


  14. #9

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    The casual fan never buys a season ticket. They may attend 1 or 2 games a year. The season ticket base needs to grow or we will never increase attendance. Please tell me how this kind of thing will get someone interested in buying a ticket. This draft was a complete waste of time. I hope everyone that went to the draft parties had a great time.

  15. #10
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are delusional if you think this has any impact on attendance.
    Well, my father-in-law, two brothers-in-law and I were seriously considering upgrading back up to season tickets from our 11-game mini-plans and officially decided against it during our draft party tonight. So it impacted the attendance by four people.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, my father-in-law, two brothers-in-law and I were seriously considering upgrading back up to season tickets from our 11-game mini-plans and officially decided against it during our draft party tonight. So it impacted the attendance by four people.

    That shocks me. Are you all new fans. 26th picks are a crapshoot at best. If you can gets guy who is in your regular rotation for 2 or 3 years you have hit the jockpot.

    I do care if you upgrade your tickets or not, but this shoud not be the reason

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,802
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That shocks me. Are you all new fans. 26th picks are a crapshoot at best. If you can gets guy who is in your regular rotation for 2 or 3 years you have hit the jockpot.

    I do care if you upgrade your tickets or not, but this shoud not be the reason
    People can call it a crapshoot, but it's a fact that there were better players on the board.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    And as a side note, I don't think this really affected attendance, but I do think it adversely affected this teams ability to grow through the draft. Just seemed like a complete waste.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People can call it a crapshoot, but it's a fact that there were better players on the board.

    We don't know that. None of these players have ever played an NBA game. It is not a fact, not at all. I'm willing to trust Bird and our scouts

  24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  25. #15

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That shocks me. Are you all new fans. 26th picks are a crapshoot at best. If you can gets guy who is in your regular rotation for 2 or 3 years you have hit the jockpot.

    I do care if you upgrade your tickets or not, but this shoud not be the reason
    Jockpot? I don't want to hit that...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jockpot? I don't want to hit that...

    I hate my IPad

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Member Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That shocks me. Are you all new fans. 26th picks are a crapshoot at best. If you can gets guy who is in your regular rotation for 2 or 3 years you have hit the jockpot.

    I do care if you upgrade your tickets or not, but this shoud not be the reason
    I was a season ticket holder from 1985-2005, so I wouldn't necessarily classify myself as a "new" fan. And like it or not, tonight is the reason I'm not upgrading. I'm not asking for a game-changer at 26. But at the bare minimum it would be nice to take one of the dozen other better athletes (at least) still on the board that fill a bigger need.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

    "Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

  30. #18
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,285

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was a season ticket holder from 1985-2005, so I wouldn't necessarily classify myself as a "new" fan. And like it or not, tonight is the reason I'm not upgrading. I'm not asking for a game-changer at 26. But at the bare minimum it would be nice to take one of the dozen other better athletes (at least) still on the board that fill a bigger need.
    you were a season ticket holder 1985, and one mediocre draft pick is going to make you not going to come to games? sigh

    why didnt you leave during much bigger mistakes that this franchise has made?

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    I'm pretty sure the Pacers went into this draft with only one goal: To draft the oldest players available. It's the only explanation that makes sense.
    Danger Zone

  33. #20
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, my father-in-law, two brothers-in-law and I were seriously considering upgrading back up to season tickets from our 11-game mini-plans and officially decided against it during our draft party tonight. So it impacted the attendance by four people.
    If people are seriously kneejerky enough to do that then the Pacers are better off pursuing fans that they can actually please and won't make a decision like that over the 26th pick in the draft...

    Also it's likely that Bird saw the Backup C spot as a top priority, one that is actually feasible to maybe fill at 26, and then they bought Orlandon Johnson who has very high potential, and isn't injured like Perry Jones is (who was in no universe a sure thing even before the injury problems arose, his stock had been dropping like a rock ever since the earliest mock drafts.)

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    The Ancient One woowoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    8
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, my father-in-law, two brothers-in-law and I were seriously considering upgrading back up to season tickets from our 11-game mini-plans and officially decided against it during our draft party tonight. So it impacted the attendance by four people.
    Oh Lord... the 26th pick in "a NBA DRAFT" dictates your decision whether or not to "upgrade"..


    At "YOUR" draft party.... LOL.... A draft party for NBA??? OK...

    and....

    Oh Well............

  36. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At "YOUR" draft party.... LOL.... A draft party for NBA??? OK...
    Uh, why not? I was at a 'draft party' last night, too.

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  38. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Indy
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously? The casual fan isn't paying attention to who the Pacers drafted at 26. We just went to the second round and battled the Heat, who won the championship. You are delusional if you think this has any impact on attendance.
    I'd like to weigh in here. As someone who followed the Pacers closely through the ABA years and up through the early 2000's - I have to consider myself (now) a casual fan [I haven't watched more than a half dozen games in the past five years].

    I've been paying attention to this team for the last several months and logging into PD several times a week. I had to laugh when I heard the pick last night - it was just another DOH! moment. Now I do agree that the 26th pick isn't a choice where anyone should expect lots of pop and sizzle, but I really believe it's imperative that the Pacers make some sort of move in the off season to stoke interest. My impression over the last several years is that after all the boat anchor contracts were cleared, we'd see some major upgrades (i.e. big name star player(s)). I have no idea what the FO is planning, but I do feel confident that there is only 1 way to win championships and that is with star players. You get them by FA or get lucky in the lottery (top pick, right year). It's become obvious that the super star players will only go to major market teams, so honestly I have trouble seeing that the Pacers haven't already hit their ceiling. There is a reason a lot of locals aren't enthusiastic about the NBA and it's not just the style of play and behavior of some of our previous knuckleheads (read: stacked deck).

    Like I said, I AM a casual fan and hope we get a team built like what OKC has done.

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Jarvis For This Useful Post:


  40. #24
    Member CircleCity3318's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    Good Lord the dude hasn't even played a game for the Pacers yet and everyone is writing him off
    GO PACERS!!!

    Twitter: @Circlecity3318

  41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CircleCity3318 For This Useful Post:


  42. #25
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: These are the kind of things that keep that arena empty.

    I blunder isn't complete without a doctor-h sky-is-falling thread.

  43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Kind of coach we need
    By Psyilocke in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
  2. empty feildhouse
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
  3. Vecsey: Lockout Empty Threat
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 11:33 PM
  4. OT:What kind of poster are you?
    By Dukins in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •