Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

This quote from Frank Vogel explains a lot

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected

Our first scouting meeting, I jokingly asked, 'Are there any Jeff Fosters in the draft?' and four of our scouts said simultaneously, 'Miles Plumlee.' We've had our eye on him ever since. I know he's been a personal favorite of Larry Bird. We had a hunch about him. And his personal workout blew us away.''

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This quote from Frank Vogel explains a lot

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120629/SPORTS15/206290324/Bob-Kravitz-Pacers-Miles-Plumlee-not-last-memory-Larry-Bird-most-expected

Our first scouting meeting, I jokingly asked, 'Are there any Jeff Fosters in the draft?' and four of our scouts said simultaneously, 'Miles Plumlee.' We've had our eye on him ever since. I know he's been a personal favorite of Larry Bird. We had a hunch about him. And his personal workout blew us away.''
    That form of decision making sounds completely silly, just saying, they got in love with a player we used to have that was by no means a star but a fan favorite role player. They did not take into account people slipping, and they did not look at what his draft value would be and where they would need to be to guarantee they got him, or maybe they did and there were many teams that were planning on taking him in the next upcoming picks, but I highly doubt that.
    Why so SERIOUS

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    That form of decision making sounds completely silly, just saying, they got in love with a player we used to have that was by no means a star but a fan favorite role player. They did not take into account people slipping, and they did not look at what his draft value would be and where they would need to be to guarantee they got him, or maybe they did and there were many teams that were planning on taking him in the next upcoming picks, but I highly doubt that.
    So much this. Bird is just fixated on Foster. You don't find a carbon copy, cause Plumlee isn't Foster and will never be. Foster was a nice player and he's retired. let's move on.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

First of all let's see him play with the Pacers before throwing him under the bus. Bird and Vogel see something there and they know the team better than anyone.

Bird says he defends the pick and roll very well and if anyone watched the Pacers last year every team pick and rolled the living s*** out of us because Roy moves laterally like the Jolly Green Giant.

If he can help to stop us from getting abused on the one play teams killed us with consistently he is well worth the pick.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post

No, if you read other quotes from Frank, yeah they were looking at the players slipping and still decided to draft Plum.

I mean really? do you think they wouldn't look at the players slipping. Really?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No, if you read other quotes from Frank, yeah they were looking at the players slipping and still decided to draft Plum.

I mean really? do you think they wouldn't look at the players slipping. Really?
    No I really be leave they would but going off of what you put and what they did it seems like they did not really value it heavily or just did not like the guys, but again that is the least of my worries, I do not feel they accessed the value of Plumlee correctly, the over pick him, and that was the biggest problem that I had. You have to try to get the most value out of where you are picking, whether that is trading or taking someone at that spot, I do not feel they did a good job at that.

Also Bird thinks he can play right away, and Vogel said rebounding and defense were his thing, I do not think either of these is true, he was a late bloomer and is more of a aggressive defender, not necessarily a good one, and his rebounding is not that stellar; I can see him being in foul trouble all the time, he is not a smart defender and that will really hurt him in the league.
    Why so SERIOUS

I actually liked the pick. Jones III doesn't seem to have the mindset of the guys we're building around. Not a knock against him, the Pacers just seem to be trying to build a slightly older, effort based team. I think he'll fit in great with the Thunder. None of the other guys interested me all that much. I really was hoping Wroten fell to us but when the Grizz picked him I was happy with whatever Bird and Pritchard and Walsh decided on.

Judging by his age and what I've read about him, Plumlee seems like a good fit for this team. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Collison and Hansbrough moved and Plumlee picking up those back up power forward minutes without much of a difference.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I actually liked the pick. Jones III doesn't seem to have the mindset of the guys we're building around. Not a knock against him, the Pacers just seem to be trying to build a slightly older, effort based team. I think he'll fit in great with the Thunder. None of the other guys interested me all that much. I really was hoping Wroten fell to us but when the Grizz picked him I was happy with whatever Bird and Pritchard and Walsh decided on.

Judging by his age and what I've read about him, Plumlee seems like a good fit for this team. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Collison and Hansbrough moved and Plumlee picking up those back up power forward minutes without much of a difference.
    Except that Plumlee is Center. He wont' be playing PF.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

We've tried replacing Foster not once (Hansbrough) but twice now (Plumlee). Hopefully, we can nail it once. However, as far as I've known, there's only been one Jeff Foster and player like him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

God, you would think Reggie Miller died or we traded Paul George for Steve Novak by reading Pacers Digest today.

Give the kid a chance, it's not often a 7' dude has a 40inch vert. His stat numbers aren't bad for a guy playing 20 mpg. I hope this guy makes you all eat serious crow.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Except that Plumlee is Center. He wont' be playing PF.
    His athletic #s say he could play the 4 at times. Is he gonna match up against a stretch 4? Hell no.

But, since this is an athleticism pick, lets compare him to some Centers, PFs and in betweens:

All pre-draft measurements from Draft Express.

Miles Plumlee Ht: 6'11.75 Wt: 252lb Wing: 7'0.75" Reach: 8'9" No Step: 35.5" Max Vert: 40.5" Bench: 15 reps Lane Agility: 10.64 sec 3/4: 3.36 sec

Al Horford Ht: 6'9.75" Wt: 246lb Wing: 7'0.75" Reach: 8'11" No Step: 31" Max Vert: 35.5" Bench: 20 reps Lane Agility: 12.15 sec 3/4: 3.37 sec

Marcin Gortat Ht: 7'0" Wt: 225 Wing: 7'3.5 Reach: 9'2" No Step: 29.5" Max Vert: 36" Bench: 18 Lane Agility: 11.48 sec 3/4: 3.33 sec

Josh McRoberts Ht: 6'10" Wt: 240lb Wing: 7'1" Reach: 8'10.5 No Step: 27.5" Max Vert: 31.5" Bench: 12 Reps Lane Agility: 11.7 sec 3/4: 3.47 sec

Lou Amundson Ht: 6'8" Wt: 221lb Wing: 6'11.5" Reach: 8'6.75" No Step: 32" Max Vert: 35.5" Bench: 14 Reps Lane Agility: 10.58 sec 3/4: 3.20 sec

Nikola Vucevic Ht: 6'11.75" Wt: 260lb Wing: 7'4.5 Reach: 9'4.5 No Step: 23.5" Max Vert: 25" Bench: 9 reps Lane Agility: 12.02 sec 3/4: 3.27 sec

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    God, you would think Reggie Miller died or we traded Paul George for Steve Novak by reading Pacers Digest today.

Give the kid a chance, it's not often a 7' dude has a 40inch vert. His stat numbers aren't bad for a guy playing 20 mpg. I hope this guy makes you all eat serious crow.
    You know what stat number is really, really bad? That the 7 footer with a 40" vert could only get on the floor for 20 minutes per game as a senior in college.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 06-29-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

After sleeping on this pick, I am warming up to it.

Per the "chatter" on the web, it sounds like a couple of teams right after us might have been targeting him . Obviously, we have a major hole at the backup center spot. This is definitely a drafting for need approach, which makes sense.

Now for the doomsday scenario.......is this pick insurance for not resigning Hibbert? Cue sky falling in....3....2....1....

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inca Street For This Useful Post:

Well, here some things I want to see for myself before passing judgement, now having a day to sleep on it.

Larry said he's good in the pick and roll, really what the team needs is a big who can guard this fundamental NBA play.

Vogel said he was the best dirty work player, if he'll box out and bang as a back up to Roy, control the defensive glass, thats exactly what you need.

He doesn't block shots, but does he take charges? Either is an effective deterrent and protects the rim.

He doesn't have to be Jeff, I think thats unrealistic, Jeff was a league leader in offensive board per throughout his career. He was really unique. If Miles can be a physical back up center who gives 15-20 mins a game of solid play that makes things difficult for the other team, thats a win.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

This is the Daniel Orton Jr. pick of 2012. But instead of him being a piece of crap immature player, he's a milk drinker ala Murphleavy days.

PLUS WE ALREADY HAVE FESENKO.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    He is very much like McRoberts. I like his athleticism. He has a 40" verticle and he is built strong. He will be an excellent backup to Hibbert and will play some PF too. I don't see why everyone is so down on him. Bird was going to go for a big man. He doesn't buy into the notion that we have a PG problem and never has......
    You're just the best OlBlu.

Digging the Plumlee pick because "he is very much like" McBrick is high-effort trolling.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Is Fes still under contract? Whats the roster look like right now?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK I'm down off the ledge. Still not happy but I'll allow the kid to surprise me and hope that he does. Besides, if he does end up not being able contribute, that's a lot easier to take at pick # 26 than it would be in the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Inca Street View Post
    Now for the doomsday scenario.......is this pick insurance for not resigning Hibbert? Cue sky falling in....3....2....1....
    I actually think Plumlee is insurance for when Hibbert is on the bench. Whenever Roy sat, teams attacked our smaller second unit. It's hard to compete consistently with no guys taller than 6-8.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

"Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    I actually think Plumlee is insurance for when Hibbert is on the bench. Whenever Roy sat, teams attacked our smaller second unit. It's hard to compete consistently with no guys taller than 6-8.
    My big beef is that the Pacers need a low post scorer when Hibbert leaves and Miles is not that guy. Do you get that guy at 26th maybe not but trying to fill the void of Jeff Foster is ignoring FA's that could easily have done so for around 5 million.

I think what I'm most bummed about, is that our front office watched every game last year, and concluded that the biggest hole that needed filled, was the the one left by Jeff Foster's absence.

Until the decision makers are willing to acknowledge the real problems with the roster they've constructed, it will never be fixed.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think what I'm most bummed about, is that our front office watched every game last year, and concluded that the biggest hole that needed filled, was the the one left by Jeff Foster's absence.

Until the decision makers are willing to acknowledge the real problems with the roster they've constructed, it will never be fixed.
    Or they have other plans to fill those other holes. Not like the only way to get the pieces you want/need is through the draft.

I seriously doubt there was a saving grace still on the board.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You know what stat number is really, really bad? That the 7 footer with a 40" vert could only get on the floor for 20 minutes per game as a senior in college.
    This actually isn't his fault. Duke played a 3 man rotation with their bigs. They all got 15-25 min a game which is about what he averaged. Their whole scheme was perimeter oriented while he was there.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 06-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Banned

I think is amazing how they are always looking for the next Jeff Foster like he was some kind of superstar or something, stupid decision making, I hope they don't screw free agency the same way they screwed the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Or they have other plans to fill those other holes. Not like the only way to get the pieces you want/need is through the draft.

I seriously doubt there was a saving grace still on the board.
    No, Michael Jordan was sitting there to be drafted.

But better players than Miles Plumlee were.