Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling that a better undrafted free agent player will have to be cut in camp, since Miles will have a guaranteed contract.
    Why doesn't everyone take a breath, go back a page or two of threads, and re-read Chad Ford's draft tiers. And re-read how he comes up with those tiers.

No, the Pacers didn't draft their answer to Lebron, Durant, or any other superstar. They continued to add pieces to the team. They weren't going to be able to make a move to put them over the top tonight. It's a process, the team isn't set in stone for the next 5 years from this day forward.

Edit: Here you go:http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-s-draft-tiers

And seriously, now we're complaining because we could have signed Kwame Brown or Sheldon Williams instead?? Common people, relax.
    Last edited by bunt; 06-29-2012 at 01:10 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even miles was shocked in his interview he said as much from undrafted a month ago 2 a first rd pick wow. He said if you go off his games he didn't deserve it but he killed it in the pacers workout dunked on everyone. WTF I just don't get it like what OJ will bring but not digging this at all. Should of just signed Kwame Brown or Sheldon Williams or Ian Maimi (sp). Could get his skills for vet min.

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    not gonna lie...i squirmed a tad when i read 'pacers' and not 'us'
    #overanalyzing :P
    Who cares? He's a restricted free agent.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I only saw the Plumlees when they got off the bench when Butler played Duke. Both were impressive in my book due to their high motors and athleticism, and had either of them played for Butler I suspect the Bulldogs would have had at least one championship banner hanging in Hinkle Fieldhouse.

My guess is that the primary role for Plumlee will be to be the enforcer that the Pacers simply don't have with Tyler being the closest thing to that currently. West is getting a little old for that role, and is overall too important to need to be that. Now that Jeff has retired, he can mentor Plumlee and teach him the agressiveness and the keys to being quick to the ball that he needs to be successful.

So, I like the pick despite other better players who would never have seen the floor having been available.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I hate the pick.

I also hated drafting that big stiff from Georgetown named Hibbert.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I hate the pick.

I also hated drafting that big stiff from Georgetown named Hibbert.
    Hibbert averaged 7.4 more points per game and 1.3 more blocks per game his senior year compared to Miles Plumlee. He played 6 more mins per game than Miles.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shabazz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Hibbert averaged 7.4 more points per game and 1.3 more blocks per game his senior year compared to Miles Plumlee. He played 6 more mins per game than Miles.
    Dude, give it a rest. We get it, he went to Dook and you're a Carolina fan. I wasn't comparing the two. I was saying I hated drafting Hibbert and thought he'd suck and obviously that was wrong so it's not like my opinion means all that much.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    No, the Pacers didn't draft their answer to Lebron, Durant, or any other superstar. They continued to add pieces to the team.
    They drafted a far far less talented player than Solomon Jones to the team, though I would love to be wrong. I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation. Not Granville Waiters, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Grey, Solly, or any of the worst stiffs imaginable.
    Maybe you could extend it even to summer league rosters. He was a worse collegian than Todd Lindemann!
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-29-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I've watched a lot of games Miles played, and I just don't get it. Even if he has stellar athleticism, he was never able to use it in a manner where it was apparent on the court. I literally thought he had an awful vertical because I've never seen him play above the rim. I've also never seen him take over a game, or even look like a legitimate threat on either end of the court. I have trouble remembering any of his plays or any game where he was in the zone.

I've seen flashes from his brother, Mason. If this were Mason, I'd get it. This ain't Mason. I'm pretty sure he didn't start all games his Senior year. When Ryan Kelly is putting you on the bench your senior year, you are not an NBA player.

I understand that Duke does not feature their bigs and that you can't look at the box score and evaluate the skills of their 4/5 players. But this guy fails the stat test and the eye test. And the winner test.

That said, the milk has done been spilt. He does have an NBA body and athleticism, and he seems like a great kid with his head in the right place. He'll be hungry, and he might surprise us all.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

They drafted a far far less talented player than Solomon Jones to the team, though I would love to be wrong. I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation. Not Granville Waiters, Greg Dreiling, Stuart Grey, Solly, or any of the worst stiffs imaginable.
    Maybe you could extend it even to summer league rosters. He was a worse collegian than Todd Lindemann!
    Hey buddy, try Greg Stiemsma. I had to go back a whole year to find someone with worse college stats that made an impact in the NBA. Shocking.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

I was intrigued with Miles Plumlee after reading several articles about his workouts.

I think I remember some theorizing in a couple of those articles that Duke's style of play was a poor fit for him.

He seems like a high character, hard-working player with impressive physical gifts.

I think we should expect some adjustment time as he shifts to a different style of play, but I believe that we will end up pleased.

And, thanks, Roy, for weighing in.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to johndozark For This Useful Post:

Hey buddy, try Greg Stiemsma. I had to go back a whole year to find someone with worse college stats that made an impact in the NBA. Shocking.
    11.5, 9.9, 11.7 ppg for Steimsma

6.6, 4.8, 5.2 ppg for Stifflee

I also kinda missed Steimsma playing for the Pacers

I have not been able to find a less productive college player who suited up for the Pacers as part of their rotation.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I've watched a lot of games Miles played, and I just don't get it. Even if he has stellar athleticism, he was never able to use it in a manner where it was apparent on the court. I literally thought he had an awful vertical because I've never seen him play above the rim. I've also never seen him take over a game, or even look like a legitimate threat on either end of the court. I have trouble remembering any of his plays or any game where he was in the zone.

I've seen flashes from his brother, Mason. If this were Mason, I'd get it. This ain't Mason. I'm pretty sure he didn't start all games his Senior year. When Ryan Kelly is putting you on the bench your senior year, you are not an NBA player.

I understand that Duke does not feature their bigs and that you can't look at the box score and evaluate the skills of their 4/5 players. But this guy fails the stat test and the eye test. And the winner test.

That said, the milk has done been spilt. He does have an NBA body and athleticism, and he seems like a great kid with his head in the right place. He'll be hungry, and he might surprise us all.
    If more people who hate the pick posted as rationally as this, actual conversations could take place.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

11.5, 9.9, 11.7 ppg for Steimsma

6.6, 4.8, 5.2 ppg for Stifflee

I also kinda missed Steimsma playing for the Pacers
    I think you might want to check his stats again. As far as I can see, he never averaged more than 3.5 points or 3.1 rebounds at Wisconsin. And why are we limiting his potential value or production or lack thereof against only ex-Pacers? For you and others pointing to stats as the deciding factor of his career, I'm simply pointing out alternative possibilities that do in fact exist by comparing him to recent similar players.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    My guess is that the primary role for Plumlee will be to be the enforcer that the Pacers simply don't have with Tyler being the closest thing to that currently. West is getting a little old for that role, and is overall too important to need to be that. Now that Jeff has retired, he can mentor Plumlee and teach him the agressiveness and the keys to being quick to the ball that he needs to be successful.

So, I like the pick despite other better players who would never have seen the floor having been available.

I'm slowly coming to this conclusion....or at the very least, I'm trying to convince myself of this. Miles is a role player with 1 single skill that should carry over and translate into the NBA....offensive rebounding....something that we all know that this Team needs when Hibbert rests. Bird wanted a Foster-like Player in the lineup to play in the frontcourt....and he got one.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-29-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

My mistake, I was misreading Steimsma's UW stats and gave minutes per game, not ppg. Oddly, he hardly played at UW. He did turn out to be a good undrafted free agent.

Miles Stifflee would have been a good late 2nd rounder. Oh well. I hope he improves his on-court performance, if he makes the roster on merit.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Normally I would be livid with a move like this. But I think Plumlee actually has some tools that give him a chance to turn into a very good niche player, and almost immediately.

1. His combination of pure size/vertical leap is extraordinary. It is significantly better than any other man his size, ever. And that makes him pretty unique. It might seem insignificant because it is just a vertical jump, but it is most definitely a tool he can use to succeed in several areas of the pro game, like rebounding and interior defense. There is a reason these guys get tested on these things, they are important, even though they definitely aren't the end all be all. He will be able to get up with anybody. Whether or not he has the heart to challenge the NBA's best at the rim is another story. We'll see.

2. His lack of polish offensively is really not that abnormal, or even a huge concern. Most bigs coming into the league are very raw offensively. All I know is his workout apparently answered some of those concerns, so it might even be over stated to begin with. His shooting stroke doesn't look bad to me, and he has range on it. His ball handling actually looked very good for a big man from what I saw, so he has dribble drive potential off the jump shot. He also looked like a pretty good athlete for a guy that size. Whether or not he has the drive to become a knock down jump shooter from 18 feet is any ones guess.

3. He is also a very good rebounder, and we definitely need guys who can rebound the ball. We also need his size. We are a small team when you take away Roy Hibbert. And we always struggle to rebound the ball when Big Roy isn't out there. I think Plumlee could be a good start in becoming a better rebounding team, and that will go a long way if this team is really gonna contend for a title someday. Whether or not he has the toughness to win that battle in the NBA is something we won't know until he does it, or doesn't.

We needed a guard who can score off the bench and an athletic big man and I would say we got two descent candidates. Honestly Plumlee wasn't even on my radar for us and I hadn't put much thought into him as a potential NBA player either. But if I'm sitting at the bottom of round 1 all I am looking for is a guy who can add a unique skill to the team. And Plumlee might be our most athletic big man the day he steps on the court for us. And Johnson can really shoot the ball, which we also struggle with at times. So I am satisfied.

We still need another G, and we need a good one like Gordon IMO, even if it costs us Granger. And I would still like to upgrade Hansbrough's spot as well.

Exactly, Stiemsma played well for Boston at times last year and definitely helped them. The NBA is a totally different game than college. Just ask Tyler Hansbrough.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-29-2012 at 02:36 AM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think the biggest asset Plumlee immediately brings is that he actually knows how to set a damn screen. None of that Hansbrough sprint to the hoop just before the defender makes any contact crap.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Can't say I saw this one coming.

Having seen Plumlee play at Duke quite a few times, he never really stood out at me...not as a first round pick...not as a freak athlete. He was an okay player, but certainly not anyone I would think twice about considering some of the other talents on that team. While it is true that Duke doesn't typically feature its big man unless you're a tough interior rugged type like a Shelden Williams, Carlos Boozer, or Elton Brand; I never once saw Plumlee play and think he could be the next Jeff Foster. Other than rebounding, he wasn't all that tough and didn't strike me as a defensive asset. I'm willing to give him a shot, but if he flames out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Definitely a bit of a reach on Bird's part.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

My only guess is that Larry owed Coach K a favor for letting Granger be on the USA basketball team...I will bet you all the money I have that Simmons has a field day with this on his recount of the draft and his ongoing pursuit of how much Larry loves drafting big white guys.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    I watched him play a lot during his college career. I honestly don't understand this pick. He had a mediocre college career. He was constantly yanked in and out of the Duke starting lineup along with Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. He doesn't have much offense. He can't hit jumpshots. He doesn't have the size to guard NBA centers, so I guess he's going to the end of the PF depth chart. His best game of the past season was on senior night, where he played well in the first half while his team got blown out by UNC in a game that decided the ACC regular season.

Here is an awesome pic of how he attempted the patented Duke flop to take a charge, but instead was called for a foul while John Henson put his junk on his shoulder.

Can ANYONE explain why a 1st round draft pick was used on Miles Plumlee? Did the Pacers think they were drafting Mason Plumlee?

He is very much like McRoberts. I like his athleticism. He has a 40" verticle and he is built strong. He will be an excellent backup to Hibbert and will play some PF too. I don't see why everyone is so down on him. Bird was going to go for a big man. He doesn't buy into the notion that we have a PG problem and never has......

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    My only guess is that Larry owed Coach K a favor for letting Granger be on the USA basketball team...I will bet you all the money I have that Simmons has a field day with this on his recount of the draft and his ongoing pursuit of how much Larry loves drafting big white guys.
    The favor would not be owned by Larry. Management doesn't want their players to participate in those games and possibly get hurt. If anything, Coach K would owe Larry a favor.....

Mood

Simple I am a Duke fan and am not a big fan of this pick, and here are some of the reasons:

I do not think Plumlee is horrible, but he has a lot to work on to become a good NBA player, for the level that he is at and his potential he could have easily been a late 2nd round pick. If he would not have posted a 40inch vertical he may have went undrafted.

When our selection came there was more quality guys out there that we could have invested in, I firmly believe we could have gambled on our first pick and took less of a gamble on our 2nd, I feel what this team needs to contend is not just a back up center but a lot more, and we could have taken a chance at filling that need by gambling on some of the players that were still available and had tons of potential.

I would like to add Jeff Foster is cool, but to me he is not a necessity for a championship winning team, as posted somewhere else the Playoffs are more about your starters play than having a good bench, this move did not get us any closer to put our selves in a position to significantly improve our starting line up in coming years.

One last thing, something that really disappointed me was the heat traded their pick for #45 and a future 1st, I feel we could have did that and still grabbed Plumlee if we wanted to go that route and in the process set ourselves up better for the future, and worst come to worst and Plumlee is gone just grab Kyle O'Quinn, just as much potential and more versatility.

That is all I have to say about this selection, I have made my peace and am ready to move on towards free agency.
    Why so SERIOUS

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    He is very much like McRoberts. I like his athleticism. He has a 40" verticle and he is built strong. He will be an excellent backup to Hibbert and will play some PF too. I don't see why everyone is so down on him. Bird was going to go for a big man. He doesn't buy into the notion that we have a PG problem and never has......
    Not like Josh, not the passer he was, not as fluent athletically, and not the same basketball IQ, and Josh had a better shot. As far as the pick it is not just "not liking plumlee" it is also over picking him by a large margin that upset most fans, see my post below for more insight.
    Why so SERIOUS