Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here is one of Plumlee's NBA workouts. I'm trying to talk myself into the guy, so I will say that for a 7 footer he does have good handles, is pretty athletic, and does seem to show some nice range.

Yeah, the only thing I'm comfortable in saying right now is he's clearly not some big stiff like John Edwards was.

My worry is I'll find out he plays passively, and/or can't catch a lot of passes, and/or doesn't do well under pressure. Those are some boxes I need to check off before I can start to feel good about him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    I know Mason Plumlee was the starting center in the 2010-2011 season and 2011-2012 season. Interestingly enough, Miles Plumlee was the starting C in the 2009-2010 season and the starting PF in the 2010-2011 season, alongside his brother at C. and in 2008-2009, 6'8'' Lance Thomas started at C. He was really a forward.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, but I could be mistaken.
    Thanks. Does anyone feel more certain about who was starting those years, or can we assume BBC has it right?

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, the only thing I'm comfortable in saying right now is he's clearly not some big stiff like John Edwards was.

My worry is I'll find out he plays passively, and/or can't catch a lot of passes, and/or doesn't do well under pressure. Those are some boxes I need to check off before I can start to feel good about him.
    I agree. I want to doubt the kid enough that he has plenty of room to impress me.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I am getting around to talking myself into him, but I still can't shake that this guy underachieved in 4 years under one of the two or three best basketball coaches on Earth. To me, his only hope for NBA success is if he gains an aggressive edge/attitude that we never saw out of him in college.
    Yeah, where I'm at too. Let's give the dude an honest and fair chance though. I hope he does good.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Plumlee was a solid role player at Duke, so there was absolutely no reason for Coach K to get rid of him. Unfortunately, most "solid role players" in college don't go on to have successful NBA careers. There are thousands and thousands of college basketball players, and only a select few out of each class make it into the NBA as draft picks, much less succeed. And many star college players turn out to be only mediocre in the NBA, so with that in mind what should one expect out of most college role players?
    You shouldnt expect anything out of a draft pick... However, although they probably won't turn into an all-star you could reasonably hope for them to be a solid role player in the L... Especially if they are a big man (See Sam Dalembert)...

Solid role players are very important to a team... And at 26 that's about as good as you are usually gonna get... Sure you have your exceptions but that's the norm... And a role player can become more beloved by a fan base than a superstar (See JO vs. Foster)...

I feel Miles has been getting the bum's rush by most people on here... And it's all based on statistics or the fact that they feel there were better players out there... I personally don't think it is prudent to make any assertions of fact about any draft pick's NBA potential... Whether they be picked 1st or 60th... For all we know The Brow could flop like Michael Olowokandi... Or Orlando Johson could prosper like Manu...

I don't have any problem with people predicting outcomes for a rookie... It's fun to do... But when you get yourself all all in a tizzy and start cursing your franchise and belittling your new 1st round draft pick at every chance based on your assumptions that is just narrow-minded... Give the kid a chance to at least step on an NBA floor before you start mocking him... I can't respect that train of thought and reaction...

PS - This message is not directed specifically at you idioteque...
    Last edited by J7F; 07-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    You shouldnt expect anything out of a draft pick... However, although they probably won't turn into an all-star you could reasonably hope for them to be a solid role player in the L... Especially if they are a big man (See Sam Dalembert)...

Solid role players are very important to a team... And at 26 that's about as good as you are usually gonna get... Sure you have your exceptions but that's the norm... And a role player can become more beloved by a fan base than a superstar (See JO vs. Foster)...

I feel Miles is getting the bum's rush by most people on here... And it's all based on statistics or the fact that they feel there were better players out there... I personally don't think it is prudent to make any assertions of fact about any draft pick's NBA potential... Whether they be picked 1st or 60th... For all we know The Brow could flop like Michael Olowokandi... Or Orlando Johson could prosper like Manu...

I don't have any problem with people predicting outcomes for a rookie... It's fun to do... But when you get yourself all all in a tizzy and start cursing your franchise and belittling your new 1st round draft pick at every chance based on your assumptions that is just narrow-minded... Give the kid a chance to at least step on an NBA floor before you start mocking him... I can't respect that train of thought and reaction...

PS - This message is not directed specifically at you idioteque...
    Well said.....

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

If I recall in Foster's second year he was getting very little time and people were really doubting him as a pick. We better give Plums two or three years before we panic.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    If I recall in Foster's second year he was getting very little time and people were really doubting him as a pick. We better give Plums two or three years before we panic.
    Tall order.

Message Boards give anything about two or three MINUTES before they panic.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Exactly. I could edit together a nice little highlight reel of myself shooting and dribbling if no one was guarding me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I feel Miles has been getting the bum's rush by most people on here... And it's all based on statistics or the fact that they feel there were better players out there...
    A third reason is seeing him play on national TV probably 50 to 60 times for a team on TV even more often than the Miami Heat, and never once getting the impression that he was a good college player with even the potential to play in the NBA.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

I'm excited to see him play tomorrow. It's gonna be hard for him to be worse than what I thought. If he even plays kind of well, I'm going to try to be a huge fan in the way I would get really excited whenever Pendergraph got to play. I better not see him put up any lay ups though.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    A third reason is seeing him play on national TV probably 50 to 60 times for a team on TV even more often than the Miami Heat, and never once getting the impression that he was a good college player with even the potential to play in the NBA.

I saw him play and I always wondered why he wasn't getting more minutes. He was obviously athletic and could rebound.........

I will admit that I was extremely dissapointed in the Plumlee pick, even as a Duke fan. As most fans usually do, I wanted flash over substance. Ironically, Plumlee has the skills to give you flash and substance. As a pure back up C, I'm hoping that he turns out to be a Jeff Foster/Deandre Jordan hybrid. Flash and substance.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I will admit that I was extremely dissapointed in the Plumlee pick, even as a Duke fan. As most fans usually do, I wanted flash over substance. Ironically, Plumlee has the skills to give you flash and substance. As a pure back up C, I'm hoping that he turns out to be a Jeff Foster/Deandre Jordan hybrid. Flash and substance.

Frankly, I expect him to do well. Perhaps minds will change when he plays in the summer league. I can see him getting allyoops from Lance....

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Frankly, I expect him to do well. Perhaps minds will change when he plays in the summer league. I can see him getting allyoops from Lance....
    I agree that he will do well. I have no doubt that he will bring the fans in the fieldhouse to their feet. I've read on this thread that he isn't comparble to McRoberts, which is debatable. IMO he may be better as a C than MCRoberts is as a PF, if that make sense.

Sports Logo

Doesn't the Summer League start soon?

I want to see this guy actually play on the floor for extended minutes.

Please don't tell me that we have to pay for frickin' Summer League to see it...is the Summer League games on NBATV?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Doesn't the Summer League start soon?

I want to see this guy actually play on the floor for extended minutes.

Please don't tell me that we have to pay for frickin' Summer League to see it...is the Summer League games on NBATV?
    Summer League starts Tomorrow. There will be free games NBA TV, though I'm not actually sure of how may but there is also a $15 package you can order to awatch them online and on your phone/tablet.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Summer League starts Tomorrow. There will be free games NBA TV, though I'm not actually sure of how may but there is also a $15 package you can order to awatch them online and on your phone/tablet.
    they will all be on NBA TV I have the DVR set up for all 5 games. In 2010 they only showed 4.

every team in Vegas is being shown next week but not every game because of the conflicting times and the amount of games.

Dakich says Plumlee can't play after watching him in summer league.

Granted, I think Dakich is a complete tool whose sense of self-worth is entirely overinflated, interesting quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

Granted, I think Dakich is a complete tool whose sense of self-worth is entirely overinflated, interesting quote.
    I enjoy Dan, but regardless its way early to make this call, either way.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

I agree he can't play he is soft and doesnt play hard and doesn't get big boards. He is awful and Dakich isn't basing it on SL he watched him 4yrs in college. He really has no skills and has an awful motor to go with it. But yes he played like he did at Duke yesterday not very many things he does good. This was an awful pick can't wait to actually see him go Verus NBA guys it will be ugly. Hope I an wrong but I doubt it. I don't get overdrafting probablly Birds biggest fault falling in love with players not value.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.

If a guy can get 9&10 without trying, I wonder what he can do when he actually does try....

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I agree he can't play he is soft and doesnt play hard and doesn't get big boards. He is awful and Dakich isn't basing it on SL he watched him 4yrs in college. He really has no skills and has an awful motor to go with it. But yes he played like he did at Duke yesterday not very many things he does good. This was an awful pick can't wait to actually see him go Verus NBA guys it will be ugly. Hope I an wrong but I doubt it. I don't get overdrafting probablly Birds biggest fault falling in love with players not value.
    Every single post of yours is bashing Plumlee while you try to come off as having some sort of credentials to analyze and critique a player -- do you? Are you a scout? He almost had a double double playing in a glorified All-Star game where our wings jacked up countless amounts of shots and didn't get the ball to the bigs at all. Relax, and wait to see what happens.

Mood

Official nickname suggestion: "Frequent Flyer" Miles
    Pacers,baby!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeliumFear For This Useful Post: