Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibbert came into the league at 21.
    Then he was very young when he started school. You are probably right about that but big men take time to develop and some take three or four years......

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Plumlee was an awful pick, but I'm mostly over it now.

I just love how a guy that can't even start for his team, has a couple of good workouts and shoots up draft boards. Not actual games, just freaking workouts. It's unbelievable that a few workouts can vault someone up from mid 2nd round to a first rounder. It happens in the NFL all the time. I don't know if this sort of thing happens in the NBA often though.

Paul George was a 2nd rounder before workouts started and that worked out OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post

Some teams had Teague as a 2nd rounder too.
    Plumlee would not have been a 2nd rounder. A 7' with his athleticism is a solid pick at the 26. Jeff Foster was killed on the talk shows when he was picked around that spot because nobody ever heard of him. Its not like there was a potential starter who got passed over.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Some teams had Teague as a 2nd rounder too.
    Plumlee would not have been a 2nd rounder. A 7' with his athleticism is a solid pick at the 26. Jeff Foster was killed on the talk shows when he was picked around that spot because nobody ever heard of him. Its not like there was a potential starter who got passed over.
    Foster was picked a whole lot higher. I think it may have been as high at the ten pick......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Foster was picked a whole lot higher. I think it may have been as high at the ten pick......
    He was drafted 21st by the Warriors in 1999, but traded to the Pacers immediately for the 26th pick of that year, Vonteego Cummings, and a future first rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post

Not even close...he was 21st pick in 1999

Like LoneGranger33 said, traded...the Warriors used it the next year to draft Troy Murphy

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    He was drafted 21st by the Warriors in 1999, but traded to the Pacers immediately for the 26th pick of that year, Vonteego Cummings, and a future first rounder.
    Thank you for all of that. Good deal......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Yep.

It seemed pretty crazy at the time, 2 1st round picks for a big stiff no one had ever heard of from a school no one had ever heard of (Texas State). At the time much crazier than taking taking Plumlee at 26, or is it.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

With the talk about possibly signing both Kaman and Roy I was wondering if this guy could get any minutes at PF next year? He's being compared to Jeff, I hope he can get minutes at both positions like Jeff did...

Sports Logo

What talk is there of signing both Kaman and Hibbert?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

No inside info... just talk around here about the possibility. I'm just wondering if he's capable of defending 2 positions. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Paul George wasn't 23 when he was picked. Plumlee is basically a finished product. How much better can he really get?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

I don't know anything about Plumlee.

Here's one great reason I like the Plumlee pick.

Steve A. Smith at PMS-ESPN hates it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    No inside info... just talk around here about the possibility. I'm just wondering if he's capable of defending 2 positions. Sorry about the confusion.
    He aced most athletic tests and he is quick and agile enough to defend the 4. On paper he should be able to do this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George wasn't 23 when he was picked. Plumlee is basically a finished product. How much better can he really get?
    I think they are banking more on his game being a better fit in the NBA, than him actually improving.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

plus Paul George wasn't a 2nd rd pick by scouts and NBA personal he was a 2nd rd pick to people who don't follow college ball closely. Just like Damian Lillard was a 2nd rd pick last year (I said last year he should be a top 10 pick easy and would be a stud in the NBA.)

I mean Plumlee came out of no where for me I wouldn't of touched him don't like his feel for basketball at all main reason he looks average athletically when he plays. Basketball doesn't come naturally you can tell he is thinking not playing.

again I cant call him a great basketball athlete until I SEE IT ON A BASKETBALL COURT NOT IN GYM SHORTS AT A COMBINE.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    plus Paul George wasn't a 2nd rd pick by scouts and NBA personal he was a 2nd rd pick to people who don't follow college ball closely.
    To be fair, Plumlee was expected to go early in the 2nd, we picked him late in the first. I don't think 5 or 6 picks is a big jump at that point.

It's a crapshoot.

again I cant call him a great basketball athlete until I SEE IT ON A BASKETBALL COURT NOT IN GYM SHORTS AT A COMBINE.
    Everything I read wasn't just drills, but 5 on 5 he was killing Fab and other prospects. Chad Ford Insider analysis...

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Ford
    I see why NBA teams are intrigued. While Plumlee didn't show particularly well at Duke, he looks terrific in the drills and 5-on-5 settings I saw in Chicago. He's strong, physical and jumps out of the gym. Duke has been a very perimeter oriented team the past few years and Plumlee rarely had plays called for him. He did his work on the boards, but little else that stood out.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft.../miles-plumlee

I'm not saying 5 on 5 scrimmages are NBA games, but neither is college ball. Lets see if he has a feel for the NBA game.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Apparently the player with the most rebounds in a game during Duke's Coach K Era is.... Miles Plumlee, with 22 boards. That was nice to learn today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyosb...e_gdata_player

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I am getting around to talking myself into him, but I still can't shake that this guy underachieved in 4 years under one of the two or three best basketball coaches on Earth. To me, his only hope for NBA success is if he gains an aggressive edge/attitude that we never saw out of him in college.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Not to pick on you specifically but you're the most recent poster at the time to make that type of statement this so it was just easier to copy your post to address:

I don't follow college basketball at all so for those who do could you please explain something to me? A lot of posters on here have been giving me the impression that Miles was the worst thing going at Duke. So then why did Coach K keep him on his team? Is there a ruling where once a letter of intent is signed that a coach is forced to play that player? I thought kids had to try out (maybe that's where I'm wrong).

It's just that I have a hard time believing that someone with Coach K's reputation and credentials at a school such as Duke would keep a player if they were absolutely terrible. Not knowing college sports I'm just wondering if there is anything out there that would force to keep Miles at Duke when I'm sure there would be no problem to recruit someone else.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greengirl33 View Post
    Not to pick on you specifically but you're the most recent poster at the time to make that type of statement this so it was just easier to copy your post to address:

I don't follow college basketball at all so for those who do could you please explain something to me? A lot of posters on here have been giving me the impression that Miles was the worst thing going at Duke. So then why did Coach K keep him on his team? Is there a ruling where once a letter of intent is signed that a coach is forced to play that player? I thought kids had to try out (maybe that's where I'm wrong).

It's just that I have a hard time believing that someone with Coach K's reputation and credentials at a school such as Duke would keep a player if they were absolutely terrible. Not knowing college sports I'm just wondering if there is anything out there that would force to keep Miles at Duke when I'm sure there would be no problem to recruit someone else.

Thanks.
    Plumlee was a solid role player at Duke, so there was absolutely no reason for Coach K to get rid of him. Unfortunately, most "solid role players" in college don't go on to have successful NBA careers. There are thousands and thousands of college basketball players, and only a select few out of each class make it into the NBA as draft picks, much less succeed. And many star college players turn out to be only mediocre in the NBA, so with that in mind what should one expect out of most college role players?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Who was the starting center at Duke in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Not sure if this has been posted, but here is one of Plumlee's NBA workouts. I'm trying to talk myself into the guy, so I will say that for a 7 footer he does have good handles, is pretty athletic, and does seem to show some nice range.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who was the starting center at Duke in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?
    I know Mason Plumlee was the starting center in the 2010-2011 season and 2011-2012 season. Interestingly enough, Miles Plumlee was the starting C in the 2009-2010 season and the starting PF in the 2010-2011 season, alongside his brother at C. and in 2008-2009, 6'8'' Lance Thomas started at C. He was really a forward.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, but I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by BrownBearCoffee; 07-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Plumlee was a solid role player at Duke, so there was absolutely no reason for Coach K to get rid of him. Unfortunately, most "solid role players" in college don't go on to have successful NBA careers. There are thousands and thousands of college basketball players, and only a select few out of each class make it into the NBA as draft picks, much less succeed. And many star college players turn out to be only mediocre in the NBA, so with that in mind what should one expect out of most college role players?
    I wanted to properly thank you for your answer. I 100% agree that most solid role players don't make it in the NBA but I was getting the feeling from many posters - not just from this forum - that Miles was not even considered a solid role player. You always want a decent backup on your team, no matter what the level or sport. I was just not getting the impression how he played was the definition of a solid role player. That was the reasoning behind my question.