Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't have needed to clear it up, had you noticed that's what I said in my post. I said that they needed a PROVEN scorer for the bench, and you started talking about ppg in college.
    As soon as this season starts, you can throw all the college numbers away. It doesn't matter.

When you're talking about the draft, those are the only numbers we have to go on. At this point, every option available in the draft had proven more as scorers than Plumlee did.

If you have no interest in discussing what these players have done up to this point, why even discuss the draft?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I like Plumlee. He isnt tatted up and looks like a good kid. Its hard cheering on teams full of tatted up players.
    BEAVER CLEAVER AIN'T WALKIN THROUGH THAT DOOR

If you're that worried about tattoos, I'd recommend sticking to 1A basketball.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    I don't disagree (a la the Foster comparisons) and correct me if I've misunderstood you but to suggest that Marcus Camby, especially at this point in his career, is a low-post scoring threat worth 3 million a year is, with all due respect, ill informed.
    No one thinks of Miles as a low post threat and from what I have gathered from Pacer brass is that everyone hopes he fullfill the Foster role in the next 4 years. A role that is easy to fill by signing a FA that I can list again if you wish. Camby is a better Foster and is worth the money in the short term and of course he is not a low post scorer but those are the guys who get overpaid not the defensive Centers that everyone hopes Miles is in the future.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Wojo has Larry Bird's back:

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...34753807998976

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Surprised at criticism directed at Indiana for Miles Plumlee at No. 26. Excellent value choice there. He was high on several draft boards.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Wojo has Larry Bird's back:

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...34753807998976

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Surprised at criticism directed at Indiana for Miles Plumlee at No. 26. Excellent value choice there. He was high on several draft boards.
    Evidently he wasn't higher than 26th on 25 of them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'll say this much. If he sets good screens, defends the pick and roll, defends the low post, finishes in traffic at the rim, and gets his fair share of rebounds, I'll live with it. Won't love it, but live with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I need to publicly apologize to Chris Dudley, who I recently compared to Miles McBobMurphleavylee.

As a senior at Yale, Dudley averaged 17.8 points and 13.3 rebounds and was second in the nation in rebounding to Pittsburgh's Jerome Lane.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The problem we had with Miami in the playoffs was our terribad bench scoring, not our huge height advantage. This pick was a borderline felony offense and made all of the NBA laugh at us. Plumlee spent 4 years going against undersized centers with less athleticism and he had 6 ppg to show for that, and not even secure minutes in the rotation. You can't put sugar on this turd of a pick.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I need to publicly apologize to Chris Dudley, who I recently compared to Miles McBobMurphleavylee.

As a senior at Yale, Dudley averaged 17.8 points and 13.3 rebounds and was second in the nation in rebounding to Pittsburgh's Jerome Lane.
    You also need to apologize to Murphy, McRoberts, and Dunleavy. Because they are all far more skilled that Plumlee.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    As soon as this season starts, you can throw all the college numbers away. It doesn't matter.

When you're talking about the draft, those are the only numbers we have to go on. At this point, every option available in the draft had proven more as scorers than Plumlee did.

If you have no interest in discussing what these players have done up to this point, why even discuss the draft?

I'm saying that the FO probably didn't see a player that fit the other needs, at a level that's needed, like a scorer for the bench. So instead of taking a gamble on a player, and striking out, you find a more suited player for a lower role and then use your cap space to fill the other voids with proven NBA players.

I didn't think I should have to spell this out.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is insane. I have no idea what Plumlee is going to be, but if he turns out to be Jeff Foster we just got a draft steal. If we had last year's Chicago series version of Foster this year, we stand an actual chance against the Heat. If we had an in his prime Foster, we beat Miami to death inside. We also would have a guy that can actually set screens and give people scoring opportunities.

Hating the pick is one thing, but saying we don't need another Jeff Foster is way off. Outside of a shooting guard that can pass and/or penetrate at a high level, a Foster like player is the next thing we are desperately missing.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    What did you see in Fesenko that made you believe he is a shoe in for our main backup?

I ask because you saw something that our scouts, Larry, Vogel and staff didn't see.

And on the flip side, Plum might be better than players picked ahead of him.
    I can only judge Fez from his limited playing time this season and as a jazz player, but I rarely see him do the wrong thing. He is a great low post defender and is very mobile for his size. I see him as the perfect backup center for us. That said, Vogel and Bird obviously see something different in practice. I don't know why else they don't play him in the playoffs or why else they draft a poor mans Madsen/Hollins love child.

I can appreciate drafting for athletic size, as opposed to overpaying for it in FA , but I feel Fez fills the role, has good chemistry with our team, and might have cost the same or less.
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    No one thinks of Miles as a low post threat and from what I have gathered from Pacer brass is that everyone hopes he fullfill the Foster role in the next 4 years. A role that is easy to fill by signing a FA that I can list again if you wish. Camby is a better Foster and is worth the money in the short term and of course he is not a low post scorer but those are the guys who get overpaid not the defensive Centers that everyone hopes Miles is in the future.
    I get where you're coming from. My point is it's very likely that Plumlee will produce numbers similar to Camby (without the blocks) for considerably less money and without the ever-present threat of one of his bones breaking. That other 2.1 million a year could then be put towards what, IMO has been our real focus for player acquisition all along, in free agency. We filled this need on the cheap and now we still have flexibility to re-sign our own FA's and go after another good vet.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that.

I want to be one of the first to go on record and say that I think this will turn out to be a good pick and Plumlee will be a pleasant surprise to a lot of Pacer fans.

Listen to me now...believe me later!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

We made a questionable pick at #26. Think about that for a minute; I didn't think it was possible.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Listen obviously Miles was not selected because of his college numbers alone. If he had great workouts, it is no surprise he rose on the draft board. If a player can slip because of workouts then a player can rise.

We were not there in the thick of the recruiting. Make guesses and stuff. But it is surprising that some of you PD vets are getting sucked into this vortex of knee jerk reactions.

For the record I wanted Miles in the second round and had no one that really impressed me in the late first round to guarantee a contract.

My guess is they could not trade it for something better with another player. Getting OJ is a plus for sure.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I like Plumlee. He isnt tatted up and looks like a good kid. Its hard cheering on teams full of tatted up players.
    I really hope this is a joke. I'm sure Miami fans can hardly stand cheering for that bunch of tatted up hoodlums. If looking like a good kid gets you drafted then I'm gonna go ahead and put my name into the 2013 NBA draft. All kidding aside I just don't get this pick. We are not short on hustle players with limited skill in the front court, and even if we were they come a dime a dozen and. He sounds athletic and I'm sure he's great person, but how many times have we seen a workout warrior struggle when it comes to actually translating their ability to the court.

Say we took PJIII or maybe Quincy Acy. They obviously have bust potential, however I think they have a much higher cieling than Plumlee. Once in a while you need to take a chance and see if someone goes boom. Maybe PJIII flames out after

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Evidently he wasn't higher than 26th on 25 of them.
    I'm not sure what point you're making. The same would hold no matter who we draft at 26, i.e. any player drafted at position x means that he was passed over x-1 times. That's just true by definition.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'll say this much. If he sets good screens, defends the pick and roll, defends the low post, finishes in traffic at the rim, and gets his fair share of rebounds, I'll live with it. Won't love it, but live with it.
    If he does these exact things well, I'll way more than live with it, I'll be very happy. Those are the things that make everything else work better.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    If he does these exact things well, I'll way more than live with it, I'll be very happy. Those are the things that make everything else work better.
    According to his profile on DX, those are skills that he had in College that he thinks should translate into his NBA career.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miles-Plumlee-5261/

Where Plumlee does thrive and where he can clearly contribute in the NBA is with his tenacity around the basket, particularly grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing. He was the third best offensive rebounder per 40 minutes pace adjusted in our database and on film, he looks to have a nose for the ball while playing a relentless and aggressive style of basketball. While he's primarily a positional rebounder, he has solid hands and the strength and athleticism to bring the ball straight up and to finish in traffic.

Outside of his offensive rebounding prowess, the another interesting wrinkle to Plumlee's game are the brief flashes (just six attempts all season) that he has shown as a spot-up shooter from mid-range, particularly given his comfort operating out of the pick-and-roll. He already sets very good screens and rolls hard to the basket, which is an asset given the predominance of pick-and-roll sets in NBA playbooks.
    His shooting mechanics need significant work, as his shooting touch isn't great and he spots a slow release with a bit of a hitch, but if he is able to develop in this area, he would have a much better chance of carving out a role in an NBA rotation.

Though his offensive game is still a work in a process, Plumlee improved as a defender during his senior year. His lateral quickness is above average for a player his size, and his increased strength and explosiveness could allow him to play solid post defense in a pinch coming off bench in the NBA. He did a much better job of staying out of foul trouble as a senior, averaging a career low 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes pace adjusted in increased minutes and while posting a career best 1.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. It should also be mentioned that Plumlee is a good defensive rebounder, ranking 12th amongst college players in our top-100 rankings.

So, is Plumlee an NBA-caliber center? That's something he'll have to convince teams of between now and June 28th. His outstanding physical profile, efficient style of play, rebounding prowess, and flashes of potential that he shows operating out of the pick-and-roll all represent areas where he could contribute on an NBA roster. The fact that he should be able to hold his own in the post on defense certainly doesn't hurt his stock, either.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Where does this leave Fesenko?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

You also need to apologize to Murphy, McRoberts, and Dunleavy. Because they are all far more skilled that Plumlee.
    Mackey...those players were more skilled than Foster as well, but I know who I wanted to keep on the team.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Dnipropetrovsk
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Dee-Squared View Post
    Mackey...those players were more skilled than Foster as well, but I know who I wanted to keep on the team.
    The guy who was injured for 156 of 246 possible games the last 3 years of his career? That guy?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I really wish that we'd keep him....but I don't get the sense that he will want to stay given that he'd ( at best ) continue his previous role that he filled on the roster.....5th Backup Big Man in the rotation.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: