Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's talk about Miles Plumlee

Bird called him best dirty worker in the draft?? Has Bird lost it he isn't even a dirty worker dude hates contact. Even if he was why the **** we need a dirty worker we have like 4 of them already in Pendy Lou Hans. We ficking need talent not a scrub. We are never gonna contend with a FO passing on 25 good players for a scrub who shouldn't of been drafted.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I told you guys we could do much worse than Green.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

High: Jeff Foster Low: Lou Amundson :-/

http://pacerscenter.com/2012/06/25/1...cers+Center%29

Check out Tyshawn Taylor’s 15 in 30 report here.

Miles Plumlee

HT: 7’0

WT: 250

POS: C

College: Duke University

Hometown: Arden, NC

Range: 41.5

Highlights

Comparisons: Jeff Foster (high), Lou Amundson (low)

Strengths: Plumlee is long, big and moderately explosive. While he’s not as athletic as his brother Mason, Miles possesses some burst that must run in the family (he recorded a 40.5-inch measurement at his combine vertical test). He plays aggressively around the rim and can use his size and force to catch alleyoops and throw in put-back jams when he gets close. In just around 20 minutes per game Plumlee was a very effective rebounder, and does an adequate job on the defensive end. Though he doesn’t possess elite length or timing, he still defends the rim well and knows how to position his body. His offense is rare, but many believe it will continue to grow and that his old school game actually translates more to an NBA halfcourt team than it did at Duke, where he was overshadowed by other scorers.

Weaknesses: At 23, Plumlee is/was a late bloomer and may not have much ceiling left, despite his success toward the middle and end of his senior year. Its somewhat concerning that his body of work is so limited; as a featured part of the Duke program, he should have done better developing with the coaching he had, and by the end of the year still looked somewhat stiff and uncomfortable playing low-block offense. He’s shown flashes of effective jump shooting, but probably doesn’t have the confidence or consistency to be an offensive weapon in the NBA. He possesses a couple retro post moves, but they’re generally predictable, and he may be offensively-challenged henceforth, which will force his NBA teammates to step up whenever he’s on the court.

How he Fits: The Pacers don’t have a second round pick, which is likely where they’ll want to draft Plumlee, so they could trade back for him. Larry Bird was overheard commending Plumlee during his workout with Indiana, and later told the young center that he was impressed. We all know how much Bird loved Jeff Foster, and it’s easy to see at least a poor man’s Foster in Plumlee, who will make his money, if he does at all, with toughness, rebounding and tenacity. The Pacers need a player like Foster, and Plumlee’s the closest thing, but they’ll have to make some moves to get him to avoid missing out on better talent at the #26 spot.

Related posts:

15 Prospects in 30 Days: Draymond Green
    15 Prospects in 30 Days: Evan Fournier
    15 Prospects in 30 Days: Fab Melo
    15 Prospects in 30 Days: Quincy Miller
    15 Prospects in 30 Days: Royce White

Bilas goes, he's good when he can just play with instincts and doesn't have to think.... I hope he's Jeff Foster, that really all that we all can hope. I did DVR and NC/Duke game, so I"ll let you know how he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nateorade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't he the same player as Josh Mcroberts just older than Mcroberts was as a rookie?

Oh and he averaged considerably less points and rebounds...

I would have gone for PJ3 but again I dedicated about 30 minutes of my life reading up on this draft so what do I know...
    Those were my thoughts exactly. I would have traded the pick for someone proven and you know we could have brought McBob back here...a guy who is almost certainly as good as Plumlee. The only thing I might say about Plumlee is that he may turn out to be a little bigger and stronger than Josh. But he's 24 already. Very odd pick IMHO.

I thought he would be a decent pick, if taken halfway through the 2nd round
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nateorade View Post
    Isn't he the same player as Josh Mcroberts just older than Mcroberts was as a rookie?

Oh and he averaged considerably less points and rebounds...

I would have gone for PJ3 but again I dedicated about 30 minutes of my life reading up on this draft so what do I know...

Nah, McRoberts is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more skilled.

Miles Plumlee is an uncoordinated big man. That is why he couldn't even hold his starting spot at Duke. He isn't even in the same hemisphere as McRoberts. But he has muscles, so the Pacers like him.

Seriously, if Miles Plumlee is a 1st rounder then what is his brother Marshall? Marshall is far and away the better center prospect and he redshirted at dook last year after winning the McD slam dunk contest.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shabazz For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I've yet to fins ANYONE whose enthousiastic about this pick... Why didn't we trade down IF we wanted this dude??? I don't get it... AT. ALL.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    How disappointing is the pick? I had sold half of my Colts season ticket to my brother-in-law and was considering selling the other half so I can finally renew my Pacers season ticket. Now, I'm probably looking at an 11-game mini-plan at most, if that. Hey Larry, thanks for screwing us on your way our the door. What a waste of my night. Again.
    lol, a draft pick determining ones decision on a season ticket plan

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steal of the draft! Steal of the draft! Steal of the draft! With a stat-line like: 6 points, 7 rebounds, and 1 block... I rounded up for the block.

Good pick. You guys need to sleep it off. Way too much dramatic overreaction going on.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Easy to cut loose at the end of his rookie contract so you don't have to worry about paying more and risk bumping up against the new and improved luxury tax? Or maybe they hope he'll develop into Jeff Foster.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    DraftExpress2 ‏@DraftExpress2
    Players Miles Plumlee can out-jump (on paper): TMac in 1997, Derrick Rose in 2008, Jason Richardson in 2001.

DraftExpress2 ‏@DraftExpress2
    Still in awe of a 250-pound near 7-footer with a 40.5 inch vertical leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress
    Here's a feature we did on Miles Plumlee discussing why he might have a better career in the NBA than he did at Duke: http://t.co/2T59PM16
    Said feature:

DraftExpress: Finding a Niche For: Miles Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Nelson
    A physically gifted big man with some of the strongest rebounding numbers in the draft, can Miles Plumlee find himself on a NBA roster this fall?

It took four years for Miles Plumlee to develop into the type of player that Duke fans expected him to be, and even then, he played around 20 minutes per game and scored in double figures just eight times all season. Now, as his career has come to a close, it is time to reevaluate Plumlee on the basis of what he showed throughout his time at Duke to determine whether he can find a niche at the NBA level.

Purely from a physical standpoint, Plumlee looks the part of a NBA big man, measured just a hair under seven feet in shoes with a 7'0 wingspan and an outstanding frame. He bulked up to 247-pounds with allegedly only 5% body fat between his junior and senior seasons. While he's a bit mechanical in his movements, he's a very good athlete for his size--mobile, explosive around the basket, and runs the floor well.

Though he had the reputation of playing facing the basket in high school, Plumlee struggled to develop his offensive game and never turned into a legitimate scoring option at Duke. He averaged a pedestrian 6.6 points per game, a similarly mediocre 12.5 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, while claiming just 8.6% of Duke's offensive possessions. He did, however, shoot a career high 61% from the field, being very efficient in the limited role he played offensively.

Plumlee is still very raw around the basket, at his best catching and finishing. Though his footwork is underdeveloped, he looked comfortable executing a few basic-spin and up-and-under moves with his back to the basket and with his right hand. It's not looking very likely that Plumlee will ever develop into a reliable back-to-the-basket threat, however, especially considering his rawness as a senior and his general lack of development up to this point.

Where Plumlee does thrive and where he can clearly contribute in the NBA is with his tenacity around the basket, particularly grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing. He was the third best offensive rebounder per 40 minutes pace adjusted in our database and on film, he looks to have a nose for the ball while playing a relentless and aggressive style of basketball. While he's primarily a positional rebounder, he has solid hands and the strength and athleticism to bring the ball straight up and to finish in traffic.

Outside of his offensive rebounding prowess, the another interesting wrinkle to Plumlee's game are the brief flashes (just six attempts all season) that he has shown as a spot-up shooter from mid-range, particularly given his comfort operating out of the pick-and-roll. He already sets very good screens and rolls hard to the basket, which is an asset given the predominance of pick-and-roll sets in NBA playbooks. His shooting mechanics need significant work, as his shooting touch isn't great and he spots a slow release with a bit of a hitch, but if he is able to develop in this area, he would have a much better chance of carving out a role in an NBA rotation.

Though his offensive game is still a work in a process, Plumlee improved as a defender during his senior year. His lateral quickness is above average for a player his size, and his increased strength and explosiveness could allow him to play solid post defense in a pinch coming off bench in the NBA. He did a much better job of staying out of foul trouble as a senior, averaging a career low 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes pace adjusted in increased minutes and while posting a career best 1.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. It should also be mentioned that Plumlee is a good defensive rebounder, ranking 12th amongst college players in our top-100 rankings.

So, is Plumlee an NBA-caliber center? That's something he'll have to convince teams of between now and June 28th. His outstanding physical profile, efficient style of play, rebounding prowess, and flashes of potential that he shows operating out of the pick-and-roll all represent areas where he could contribute on an NBA roster. The fact that he should be able to hold his own in the post on defense certainly doesn't hurt his stock, either.

On the other hand, Plumlee turns 24 this September, has just an average feel for the game, and developed very slowly throughout his college career, leading many to question his mental toughness. His career has been marked by inconsistency and it took him a long time to get comfortable as a player, let alone a leader.

What is clear is that, despite his unimpressive career numbers, Plumlee is an NBA prospect and could get some looks from teams drafting in the second round. If not, he's easily the type of player who could find himself on a team's roster this fall, as there just aren't that many big men around with his physical attributes and rebounding ability.

Biggest Pacer Fan PacersForever's Avatar

Hansbrough, Plumlee and Hayward if he could have in 2010 ... Maybe Jordans not the worst in picking in the draft.

Passing on guys like PJ and Arnett aside, if we really wanted Miles, why didn't we trade down for him and get more assets? This is very identical to what happened with the Hansbrough pick.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

TheDraftReview tweeted

"who did Miles Plumlee f**k to get drafted this high?"
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shabazz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersForever View Post
    Hansbrough, Plumlee and Hayward if he could have in 2010 ... Maybe Jordans not the worst in picking in the draft.
    Except Hayward is actually good.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I hope we made this pick for somebody else and it just has yet to be announced...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Evan_The_Dude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My only reasoning behind this pick is that Bird thinks this guy is TOUGH. After calling us "soft" in the Heat series maybe he thought this was a good way of bringing an edge to this team without fear of off the court issues coming along with it.

Gonna take a break now, my arms getting tired from reaching

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I've yet to fins ANYONE whose enthousiastic about this pick... Why didn't we trade down IF we wanted this dude??? I don't get it... AT. ALL.
    Absolutely could have gotten him in the middle of the 2nd round.

For those wanting a 2nd round pick, you got it in the 1st round. Thanks Bird!

I can't wait until tomorrow to see how the Pacers FO spin this pick. There ain't that much kool-aid they can dispense to cover up this BIRD BUNGLE!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

This was an article a couple years ago that is kind of interesting.

Two families, two paths to success
    The Zellers and Plumlees hail from small-town Indiana, but charted different courses
    Originally Published: September 9, 2010
    By Pat Forde | ESPN.com

The Zeller and Plumlee families have a lot in common.

An Indiana mailing address. Ghastly grocery bills. Difficulty finding big-and-tall clothes in small hometowns. Roll-your-eyes knowledge of almost every recruiting pitch known to man.

[+] EnlargeMiles Plumlee
    AP Photo/Gerry BroomeMiles Plumlee and Tyler Zeller might play for rivals, but their families share a common bond.

They have parents who played the game, and kids who play the game better.

They are tall moms and dads with three gigantic boys each, all growing up at roughly the same time -- more than 41 feet of Division I basketball talent, graduating from high school between 2005 and 2011.

"We're all kind of tall people," said Perky Plumlee, patriarch of half the boys in this story. "There is a genetic component to this that can't be overlooked."

But this isn't a case of being tall and that's all. There is talent to go along with the height. Pretty soon they'll have six full scholarships at elite programs. And the two families have three national championship rings -- with several more years to add to that total.

What they do not have in common are the paths they chose for their children to reach basketball stardom.

The Zellers are heroes in their hometown of Washington, Ind.

The Plumlees are strangers in their hometown of Warsaw, Ind.

When the Zellers and their three young boys were moving to Washington from Minnesota, house shopping was fairly easy. They chose the first home they were shown that had a basketball goal.

Lorri Zeller is 6 feet tall and was a player at Division III Coe College in Iowa. Her brother, Al Eberhard, was a star at Missouri in the 1970s and played several seasons in the NBA. Husband Steve, a plant manager at Perdue Farms, is 6-foot-4 and was a walk-on football player at Iowa State. As a basketball player in high school, he once pulled down 30 rebounds in a game.

Having blessed their children with the genes to be tall, the hoop was mandatory. And the driveway games became legendary.

"Somebody would come home bleeding," Lorri Zeller said.

As the boys grew, Steve would beat on them with a football blocking pad to make scoring difficult. And on a wall in the garage, they marked all their heights. The current measurements: Luke, who played at Notre Dame and last season played professionally in Japan, is 6-10½ and wears a size 18 shoe; Tyler, currently a junior at North Carolina, is 7 feet and wears a 19; and high school senior Cody is between them at about 6-11 while wearing a mere size 16.

Washington -- a town of about 12,000 in the southwest corner of the state -- has been blessed with some fine hoops-playing siblings in its time. But nothing like these three.

When they retire the number at Washington High School, it will be fairly easy. One fits all.

Luke Zeller wore No. 40 when he led the Hatchets to the 2005 Indiana state basketball title -- winning the Class 3A championship game on a fairy-tale shot from near midcourt. Tyler Zeller wore it when he led the school to the 2008 state title. And Cody Zeller, star of this year's state champs, wears it as well.

[+] EnlargeLuke Zeller
    AP Photo/AJ MastLuke's miracle 3 in the state title game cemented the Zellers as legends in Washington, Ind.

By next spring they could all have another jersey in common: The Indiana No. 1 uniform worn by the state's Mr. Basketball in the annual all-star series with the state of Kentucky. Luke and Tyler won the award, and Cody will be a leading candidate this season.

That would be unprecedented in Indiana history. In fact, only two other sets of brothers have won the award -- twins Dick and Tom Van Arsdale shared it in 1961 and Billy and David Shepherd took home the honor in 1968 and 1970, respectively.

Washington High has a fairly rich basketball history: The Hatchets won single-class state titles three times between 1929-42, they sent 1979 Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie to IU to play for Bob Knight, and their gym seats more than 7,000. But in terms of exposure, it's a long way from Indianapolis and other large population centers.

Yet even in these transient youth basketball times, the Zellers say they were never tempted to look elsewhere.

"Indiana is a wonderful place to play high school basketball," Lorri Zeller said. "We wouldn't think of going anywhere else."

When asked what the local reaction would be to transferring elsewhere, Cody smiled.

"I couldn't imagine," he said.

The Plumlees don't have to imagine such a thing. They've lived it.

Perky Plumlee stands 6-7 and played college basketball at Tennessee Tech after growing up in Lafayette, Ind. His wife, Leslie, is 6-1 and played at Purdue. Despite their Indiana ties, there will never be a chance for a Plumlee to be named Mr. Basketball in their home state.

Not after Perky made a decision several years ago that ignited an uproar in basketball-mad Warsaw. He shipped his two oldest boys, Miles and Mason, out of town and out of state -- all the way to Christ School in Arden, N.C.

Perky freely admits this was an athletic-based decision. Miles was a 6-7 junior getting limited playing time on a mediocre Warsaw High team. Same with Mason, a 6-7 freshman. The two boys were making national names for themselves on the AAU circuit, but they couldn't crack coach Doug Ogle's starting lineup.

Some other players left the program around that time, but none caused the ripple of public debate the Plumlees did.

"It was a very public thing," said Perky, a lawyer. "There were certainly people who were very critical of us. They couldn't understand why a family would make that decision. But I don't think our decision impacted anyone other than our family."

Nevertheless, a whole lot of people took sides, many of them writing letters to the local paper, the Warsaw Times-Union. Some thought Perky was an egomaniacal dad who overrated his sons' ability. Others thought the Plumlees were justifiably showing a lack of confidence in Ogle's coaching.

"It was a pretty wild time, to say the least," said Times-Union sports editor Dale Hubler.

It culminated in a real-life scene from "Hoosiers": a packed public meeting at one of the local elementary schools to discuss Ogle's viability as the Warsaw basketball coach. Ogle kept his job and earlier this year led the Tigers to a state runner-up finish in Class 4A.

But the Plumlees have certainly vindicated their decision, difficult as it was.

"Down in our gut we felt like we were making the right choice for them, but it was hard," Perky Plumlee said. "They were with us all the time. You don't just move your children 600 miles on a whim. When we dropped them off, both my wife and I had tears coming down our cheeks."

Miles/Mason Plumlee
    AP Photo/David J. PhillipMason (left) and Miles Plumlee already have a national championship at Duke. They'll be joined by younger brother Marshall in 2011.

Miles repeated 11th grade at Christ School to mature physically. With he and Mason both in the lineup -- and growing -- they won state titles two years in a row. Miles signed a letter of intent with Stanford, and Mason verbally committed to Duke.

When Trent Johnson left Stanford for LSU, Miles decommitted and joined Mason in choosing Duke. Not that there needed to be any further validation of taking a scholarship from Mike Krzyzewski, but the brothers got one in April anyway. Standing 6-9¾ (Miles) and 6-10¾ (Mason), they played key roles on a Blue Devils team that won the 2010 national title back home again in Indiana.

And now little brother Marshall -- actually the tallest at 6-11½ -- has joined the family movement from Christ School to Duke. He committed to the Blue Devils in July, before beginning his senior year of high school.

"It's one of the times in your life when you have to make a very selfish decision," Marshall said. "I've struggled with that, because I'm not a very selfish guy."

Back home, the perception of a selfish family is fading.

When Miles and Mason were in Warsaw this summer, they did an autograph session. It was well-attended, spurring many folks to believe that the community of about 14,000 in north-central Indiana can now embrace its absentee sons.

"I wouldn't say the town is going to put up a sign saying, 'Welcome to Warsaw, Home of the Plumlees,'" Hubler said. "But I think people understand now."

Their high school paths have never converged, and they've had to go to Tobacco Road to meet up in college. But the Plumlees and Zellers have gotten together on home soil in the summer over the past couple of years. Cody and Marshall have been teammates on the Indiana Elite AAU team.

That's given their parents plenty of time to compare notes on the joys and challenges of raising six star basketball players.

"It's really enjoyable to visit with them," Lorri Zeller said. "We share our experiences."

When Cody and Marshall took the court in Indianapolis at the beginning of the July recruiting circuit, a who's who of college coaches was watching. Among them: Indiana's Tom Crean, Louisville's Rick Pitino, Illinois' Bruce Weber, Florida's Billy Donovan, Kansas' Bill Self, Ohio State's Thad Matta, California's Mike Montgomery, Butler's Brad Stevens, UCLA's Ben Howland, North Carolina's Roy Williams, West Virginia's Bob Huggins and Krzyzewski. That's a dozen guys with Final Four experience, and five with national championship rings.

On that day, they saw Zeller showcase the versatile arsenal that could make him the best player in his family. (ESPNU's analysts rank him the No. 20 senior prospect nationally.) He started the game with a baseline jump hook, a dunk in transition and a 17-foot jumper from the top of the key. Cody was up 6-0 all by himself.

Marshall didn't show as much, but his best playing days are almost undoubtedly ahead of him. (ESPNU ranks him the No. 42 senior prospect.) At Duke he'll have time to grow into his frame and develop his game.

But Marshall does have one advantage over Cody at this point. He's made his college decision.

The five boys who have made college choices have one thing in common: None has chosen the most accomplished and tradition-rich program in their home state. Indiana is 0-for-5 with the Zellers and Plumlees.

The Hoosiers were not a factor with Luke Zeller, and were up to their pinstripe warm-ups in scandal when Tyler was being recruited. They offered all three Plumlees, but Miles and Mason were not interested because of the fallout from the Kelvin Sampson disaster.

But Marshall seriously considered his offer from Crean, and Zeller is even more serious. He's cut his final three schools to Indiana, Butler and North Carolina.

And if there was pressure on the Plumlees to stay put in high school, you can imagine the pressure on Cody to stay put for college. Especially with fans clamoring for Crean to deliver his biggest in-state signee yet at Indiana.

"I'm the one who has to live with the decision," Cody Zeller said.

The decisions made by the six tall young men from Indiana in recent years have almost uniformly turned out well. But that didn't make them easy. And despite all that the Zeller and Plumlee families have in common, they've taken very different roads to basketball glory.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...source=message

Go ahead and keep minimizing this craptastic pick, PD faithful. But the bottom line is Larry Bird fell in love with yet another non-athletic, over-his-head white guy. This pick is in the Isiah Thomas/Knicks GM zip code of incompetence.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

"Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

At least it's not as bad as the Hansbrough pick, but it's the same ****.

I'd rather have Draymond Green...