Thread: FoxSportsFL: Greg Oden now wants to play this season, cleared to work out on his own

Default FoxSportsFL: Greg Oden now wants to play this season, cleared to work out on his own

“He’s going to sign somewhere,’’ Conley (his agent) said. “He’s going to get healthy and be coming back.’

Oden has interest in the Heat if they ever were to be interested. Seven NBA teams, which his agent declined to name, have supposedly been keeping in regular touch with him, but Conley doesn’t anticipate it will be until the fall before there are any serious negotiations.

Oden splits his time between his hometown of Indianapolis and Columbus, where he’s now taking summer classes at Ohio State.

Oden has had five surgeries on both his knees since entering the NBA, including two surgeries last February, one being his third microfracture procedure. He was waived by the Trail Blazers last March, making him a free agent.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/07/1...4&feedID=10140
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: FoxSportsFL: Greg Oden now wants to play this season, cleared to work out on his own

Twin Towers? Let's get the Triplet Towers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

Default Re: FoxSportsFL: Greg Oden now wants to play this season, cleared to work out on his own

Personally, I think the odds are very very low he can contribute.

But in a league where someone places an enormous value on the skills of Omer Asik, 7 teams lining up to take a longshot chance on him is probably the truth, and not some agent's bluster. Are we one of them?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless Oden wants to keep on his current NBA career of looking good in a suit I doubt he would sign here.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

So, Conley's dad floating the balloon to see what the interest level is amongst teams and fans for Oden's return. Interesting. Hope it turns out well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm glad he is attending classes at Ohio State. That makes me feel better about his future if not in the NBA.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wish him the best, but he needs to let it go. Maybe he would be better suited coaching big guys or something.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wish him the best, but he needs to let it go. Maybe he would be better suited coaching big guys or something.
    More like coaching big men to be suited.......

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From this point forward, I would bet that Oden ends up playing more minutes in the NBA than our recent first round pick.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    From this point forward, I would bet that Oden ends up playing more minutes in the NBA than our recent first round pick.
    I doubt it.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Mood

How much money do you want to lay on that?

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    How much money do you want to lay on that?
    Not a lot and it's clearly against the odds but I'd take the chance on injured talent over healthy non-talent.

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    I'm glad he is attending classes at Ohio State. That makes me feel better about his future if not in the NBA.

I was interested to see he's going back to school as well. Realistically, he could do nothing for the rest of his life if he wanted to. According to his networth, the amount he has made would be equal to making 300,000 a year for 50 years. It's amazing to me that some of the richest athletes end up broke. Especially because 300,000 a year over 50 years is "only" 15 million. There are plenty of athletes making 15 million in a single season. People like Antoine Walker, Mike Tyson, Michael Jackson(not an athlete) etc. have issues. I think it's obvious Tyson and Jackson did but there is no excuse for guys like Antoine Walker to blow 110 million dollars.

Good for Oden though if he doesn't want to just sit around and do nothing. Was just pointing out that having already made what's equivalent to 300,000 a year for 50 years is plenty of money to sit back and do nothing. Obviously 15 million is a lot but I never realized how much it actually was until breaking it down. It's pretty disgusting how many guys are making that much in a season. I wish I could make 300,000 a year for 50 years
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

If we have an extra roster spot open and can get him for a mil or less, sure why not. Let him play like 3-5mpg this year and try to help him rehabilitate and if he starts looking good, re-sign him and plug him in for some real minutes the following season. You'd have to think any team paying him this season to essentially do nothing will get the benefit of the doubt and he'd give them first crack at re-signing him if he's rehabilitated. It looks like he'll probably never play again but it would suck to miss out on him if he were to somehow turn it around. For the right price, even 15-20 minutes per game in the future could be really valuable with his skill set.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

Mood

Not a lot and it's clearly against the odds but I'd take the chance on injured talent over healthy non-talent.
    Well he clearly looks really dapper in his custom suits. I don't know if Miles can afford those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Well he clearly looks really dapper in his custom suits. I don't know if Miles can afford those yet.
    If we ever get our roster up to 14, we'll find out.

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Is this sarcasm?