Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dahntay exercises his option

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dahntay exercises his option

No surprise here. Picked up his $2.9M option, per ESPN Insider

Dahntay Jones owns a $2.9 million player option for next season and Tuesday he exercised it.

"He had a great time the last year," agent Mark Bartelstein told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida. "We'll see what the future holds. He's excited."

Now that Jones is under contract for next season, he can now be traded before July 1. The Pacers can also use the amnesty provision on him if the teams wants to increase their 2012-13 cap room.

Should the Pacers keep him, Jones will provide depth at shooting guard and small forward.

-- Nick Borges
    Interesting, the Pacers get to use the amnesty twice

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dahntay exercises his option

Jone's salary isn't that much and he's a skilled defender to have off the bench. Yeah, he has his problems, but I don't have any issues with Jones. Or trade him with DC or Hans.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least this allows the Pacers the most flexibility possible prior to the draft. Some team might take a chance on him for a higher first round pick in the late teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least this allows the Pacers the most flexibility possible prior to the draft. Some team might take a chance on him for a higher first round pick in the late teens.
    Ask yourself, would you honestly trade the 18th or 19th pick in the draft for a 31 year old Dahntay Jones?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Jone's salary isn't that much and he's a skilled defender to have off the bench. Yeah, he has his problems, but I don't have any issues with Jones. Or trade him with DC or Hans.
    yeah, he really isn't getting paid much so using amnesty would be a waste. it wasn't wasted on posey though. posey was a waste of a player and ditching him via amnesty was pretty sweet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Ask yourself, would you honestly trade the 18th or 19th pick in the draft for a 31 year old Dahntay Jones?
    I wouldn't, personally. I thought there was something significantly wrong with him as a player or Denver would never have simply let him go and thought his contract was outrageous.

With that said, he is starting to become more valuable as a trading asset because his contract is nearing its end. When he gets hot, he can score, and there is a perception that he can defend (though he actually is not very good at that IMO because of his grabbing, etc. that the officials key in on every time he is on the floor).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

No complaints. Personally, I like Jones as a player, and he always seem willing to accept whatever role he's given on the team. I just hate when his teammates puts him in a situation where he feels that he has to be the #1 option on the second unit.

Otherwise, I'm all for this.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 06-27-2012 at 01:30 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

I like Dahntay Jones for what he is. I never considered this a bad free agent signing.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I wouldn't, personally. I thought there was something significantly wrong with him as a player or Denver would never have simply let him go and thought his contract was outrageous.

With that said, he is starting to become more valuable as a trading asset because his contract is nearing its end. When he gets hot, he can score, and there is a perception that he can defend (though he actually is not very good at that IMO because of his grabbing, etc. that the officials key in on every time he is on the floor).
    That perception has been confirmed over and over, a great example of which was against the Knicks when Melo was going off...Dahntay came in and shut him down. It was beautiful.

I like Dahntay's attitude, energy, willingness to get dirty, etc.

If he sticks around, I'm happy.

Regarding the amnesty, the Pacers can't use it again. That was my point, they used it on Posey already.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

HC

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No surprise. Hopefully he acts more professionally off the court (to fans) but not abad $2 million spent.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

he played solid last year 2 million isnt much for a decent bench player

The strange thing about Jones is he has become a much better player since coming here than you would have expected from a player his age. Usually by that time the player is who he is, he might become smarter but his skills stay about the same. Jones on the other hand has steadily improved many aspects of his game to go along with becoming a smarter player. He still has huge flaws, especially on the offensive end, but I feel like he has improved a lot on that end for his age.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh, he should have just left and went to a title contender.. Too bad money talks.

Mood

El Pacero must be thrilled.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Glad to have him back.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I personally love Dahntay. He is a good teammate, and he's worked on his game a lot too. I think he is at least a minor reason Lance hasn't gotten in trouble. Plus, he has really worked on the 3 ball and not taking as many bad shots I think. Just seems to me he knows he is a good cheerleader/role player, and has embraced that.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Good. I like Dahntay quite a bit. This last season was a good one for him. He really embraced his role, his teammates, and the fans here - not to mention the momentum the team built was expressed through Inferno's celebrating on the bench. He's a fun guy to have around and seems to fit in perfectly here.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

He's a useful player to have on your bench, and he seems like a good teammate overall with his overall energy and toughness. His defense on Wade and Rose the past two playoffs has been pretty impressive.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Hey, who would turn down the opportunity to be the highe$t paid 12th man in the league? Dhantay can be a turnover-prone ball hog who$e one defen$ive $kill - battery - ha$ become a "foul" again, but he'$ not $tupid. Nobody else hA$ thought of giving him a guaranteed, multi-year contract, he'$ not giving that up.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Wasn't Shane Battier traded for the #8 pick? Yep, Rudy Gay. I thought that was terrible at the time (and worse now), but there were no objections from the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    That perception has been confirmed over and over, a great example of which was against the Knicks when Melo was going off...Dahntay came in and shut him down. It was beautiful.

I like Dahntay's attitude, energy, willingness to get dirty, etc.
    While I really like Dahntay on the team, and I have no problem with his contract... I agree with Brad on his D. He's nowhere near the defensive stopper he once was. Still capable though. One thing that does bug me is the chair pull he's been doing seemingly once a game the last year or two. I think it's worked maybe twice that I can remember (the one on Wade was epic though).

IMO we only have a couple tough minded guys on our roster, and he's one of them. That, along with his constant support from the bench and the mentoring he does for our young players makes me glad he'll be with us for another year and hopefully longer.

edit: his offense was surprisingly good this year too (decision making, 3 point shooting impressed me)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like Dahntay myself on our team. We could do a lot worse. He knows his role on this team and seems to be a good teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Hey, who would turn down the opportunity to be the highe$t paid 12th man in the league? Dhantay can be a turnover-prone ball hog who$e one defen$ive $kill - battery - ha$ become a "foul" again, but he'$ not $tupid. Nobody else hA$ thought of giving him a guaranteed, multi-year contract, he'$ not giving that up.
    Is 2.9 mil really that over paid? He was a starter for a playoff team when we signed him.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'd rather have the extra ~3 mil, but whatever. Dahntay reigned himself in in the handful of spot minutes he got and did his job. There were plenty of times I was screaming play Inferno instead of Barbosa. Keep that up, coupled with being an ultimate towel waver teammate, keep Lance's ego in check type dude, whatever. Bigger fish to fry. Dahntay's TJ Ford with 5% of the expectations but 100% of the "teammateness." From what I can tell anyway, from all my time in the locker room.

Remember him pulling the chair on Wade in I think game 4? Hell, that was worth it alone, ain't my money.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may not have liked T.J. Ford's style of play, (and a lot of that may have to do with JOB) but the dude was a class act all the way past his time with the Pacers.

As far as Inferno, I would love the extra 3 million to insure Hibbert/Hill, and spend minimum on a reserve, but gotta deal with the cards dealt.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller