Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm willing to bet a sizable amount this has something to do with health issues for Bird.
    I don't see how, even with Bird having back surgery next month. He doesn't have to be 100% to make decisions that Pritchard brings to him.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    The message I'm getting from ownership is that they aren't going to spend the money necessary to compete for a championship. Simon thinks fans will start to show up as long as this team is a 3/4 seed in the playoffs.
    I mean that is what Larry eluded to as one of his criteria, but historically Simon has always been willing to spend up to the luxury tax, which I'm not sure you can ask anything more than that. The restricted Free Agent thing could be a tough pill for a GM to swallow, to be handcuffed in that way. I do agree that, in general, you overpay in those situations.

Or it could just be his back is really hurting right now.

Its just a really odd set of events surround Larry the last few months, Vescey said he's gone, Bird sounds like he's staying (basically says if things go well in conversation Simon he will), Bird 'interviews' with Orlando, Bird fires Morway, Bird promotes Pritchard, DW comes on 5 days before the draft, Bird quits 3 days before the draft.

Just alot of weird mixed messages going on. Hopefully when the 26 pick comes Thursday they get their pick to the podium before time runs out.....

Maybe Larry was leaving all this time and Simon was just trying to convince him to stay with a face to face meeting, hence this week after week face to face stuff.... I'm really just throwing darts now.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-26-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird definitely has stamped his style of doing business. Win awards and retire.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So you think Bird knew he was gonna leave in Feb?
    Probably was telling people that he was leaving. But also kept the possibility of returning open.

The timing of this mess is just absolutely bizarre. There is much more behind this than all of a sudden Bird's health says Larry you have to leave today... 2 days b4 the draft.

I ain't buy'n it folks!

There has to have been a breakdown between Herb and Bird. No other reason at this crucial point prior to the draft. Herb then brings in his security blanket Walsh.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Mr. Bird, thank you for the good years you have given to the Pacers,
    and your part in returning the franchise to respectability.

Enjoy your retirement.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Again, like others have said....we obviously have an ownership problem. Afraid to spend money. Goes back to his security blanket of 23 years. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Bird never invited Donnie to the work outs last week and he was there on behalf of Simon. Thus Bird's departure.
    How does this prove that Simon doesn't want to spend money?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    History would say you're getting the wrong message then. Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard are the absolute last people you want running a franchise that refuses to spend money. You can debate if they'll spend the money wisely, but neither is known for being the least bit frugal.
    I guess I mean spend money in the way Bird (and many on here) think it needs to be spent - RFA's for starters.

There is definitely something fishy going on. Bird did an about face in a very short period of time. Maybe he's buying part of the team...
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I suspect Bird will stay on for the draft and be heavily involved.

The $64,000 question is "who will have the say in who is drafted?"

Surely not by committee.

I had a lot of faith in Bird. I have some faith in Pritchard, and some in Walsh. This isn't going from Jerry West to Isaiah Thomas or something.

This isn't disastrous but I feel like its a step down.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If Bird had come out at his year end presser and said he was done, that Pritchard was going to be GM and Donnie was the new Prez Of Ops, I'd have been pretty cool with that. Nervous, but those're clearly capable hands. There's a LOT of fanbases that would kill for a Pritchard/Walsh FO.

It's just the timing that has me so anxious and frustrated.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    I guess I mean spend money in the way Bird (and many on here) think it needs to be spent - RFA's for starters.
    I think Herb's problem with Restricted Free Agency is purely philosophical. It's not an issue of spending money, it's tying up money on a low chance of return when sure things pass you by. Also, if you believe the press clippings, Herb has always fashioned himself as the Gentleman Owner, and driving up the price of other teams' assets just isn't very neighborly.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The $64,000 question is "who will have the say in who is drafted?"

Surely not by committee.

My guess and it is purely a guess is Bird will have final say. He's made it quite clear that he's had final say ever since Walsh officially left. So I would expect Bird to have final say in this draft and then he'd leave the franchise.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think not bidding on RFAs, philosophically, is pretty much correct for a franchise like ours. To win a RFA away from another team you clearly have to overpay. A team's not going to decline to match a market value deal.

If that whole thing's even true.

billbradley

My guess and it is purely a guess is Bird will have final say. He's made it quite clear that he's had final say ever since Walsh officially left. So I would expect Bird to have final say in this draft and then he'd leave the franchise.
    How does that work? If the new person in charge is in the room and wants somebody else, why would they be stuck with Bird's guy?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

I don't see how, even with Bird having back surgery next month. He doesn't have to be 100% to make decisions that Pritchard brings to him.

You'd think so. Walsh still made decisions with his health issues in NY.

With that story broke about how Bird and Morway no longer have a relationship and the constant rescheduling of Larry's meeting with the Simons, I figured this would happen. News that Donnie would be back made it even more obvious.

I'm disappointed that Bird won't be here, but... if he is such a hardass to work with, maybe it's for the best? You want your guys in the front office to all be on the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    How does that work? If the new person in charge is in the room and wants somebody else, why would they be stuck with Bird's guy?

if the boss (owner Simon) says Bird is in charge then he's in charge. My point is Bird is still in charge through the draft. That has been done many times before in the NBA where the exiting GM picks the draft and then leaves. Nothing unusual here - assuming that is the case. My point isn't that I know Bird is still in charge, but simply that it would not be unusual if he is in charge with the understanding the draft is his last duty.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

I trust that the franchise knows what they're doing. I truly believe they have something worked out, and rumors that I've heard are that the back is extremely painful, something Larry feels gets in the way of being 100%.

I'm not saying there isn't something else going on, just that I don't think this was as sudden as it feels. Bird is a poker player for sure, never lets anyone see him sweat. So, even if he thought he was leaving back in May, I doubt he would have been all down and depressed in the presser.

Regarding Donnie, we don't even know what his role is. I personally love the guy, he is a "Pacer" in my mind. I'm glad he's back, I hope he finishes his career here, and again I trust that there is a plan in place (Likely to give Pritch the most sway/power, use Donnie as a consultant.) I for one think Donnie has a lot to offer in terms of experience, wisdom, and advice.

Larry, thanks. You've been a faithful leader of Pacer Nation for several seasons and in different capacities. The work you've done, though often criticized, has largely been incredible. Please, please stick around!

Larry Legend once again leaves the game on top.

I can't fault the guy if his health issues are that concerning, but it seems like he did a complete 180 from where he was just a few weeks ago. I have confidence in Pritchard, but we'll just have to see what happens.

Also, how does this explain his interview with Orlando just a week ago?

I hear ya, but Bird's leaving and Herb's man is back in the fold. Why would Herb want Bird making the decision for others who are there and will be running the Pacers for the future? I don't think Bird will be the final decision maker. To me it stands to reason someone else will. Either Walsh or Pritchard, but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Also, how does this explain his interview with Orlando just a week ago?

He wants to get back to Florida. For some the winters in Indiana are killers and if you have health problems, back problems the cold weather can be a huge problem.

Sports Logo

So all 3, KP, Bird, and Walsh will be at the Draft Party I assume? I may just have to go to try and read their body language.

Let's see if we can make some sense out of all this, without calling anyone a demon.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

After the season ends, Bird sounds like a guy who is ready to give it his all and continue to rebuild this team to lofty standards.

Some time passes, Bird's back starts to act up even more, and his doctor tells him "Larry, its time to get this taken care of, but it will require you take some time off for total rest and rehab.". In the meantime Bird calls Simon and says "We better put off this meeting, I've just been thrown a medical curve ball.".

After careful consideration, it is decided that he will have the surgery, and very reluctantly take a year off to (hopefully) fully recuperate. Now, the work still needs to be done, but Larry has been told by his doctor that he needs FULL REST AND REHAB for a lengthy time to recover.

Well, what to do?

Consider this as well. Perhaps part of the "negotiation" to be done between Simon and Bird had to do with whether Simon would allow Bird to take a year off from his duties (for the surgery and recuperation time), and then allow him to return when he healed. Part of this might have been Simon's concern with who would run the operation in Bird's absence.

Walsh is available. Bird and Simon are both very familiar with him, and there is a mutual trust and respect between the three. A plus is, if Larry is ready to return to work in a year, Walsh probably doesn't want to take on a heavy lifting role for a long time period to begin with.

So, the deal is done. Larry gets his surgery and time to heal. Walsh gets to "come back home" to help further a team he cares dearly about, and Simon gets to retain people he trusts in the front office throughout it all.

Like I say, I'm just guessing at all this. But it seems more likely than some of the behind the back conspiracy theories being pitched around.

Yeah, drama is more interesting, but sometimes the truth can be simple.
    Last edited by Tom White; 06-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The timing of this mess is just absolutely bizarre. There is much more behind this than all of a sudden Bird's health says Larry you have to leave today... 2 days b4 the draft.

I ain't buy'n it folks!

There has to have been a breakdown between Herb and Bird. No other reason at this crucial point prior to the draft. Herb then brings in his security blanket Walsh.
    Simon cheap doesn't wanna spend to make us real contenders. Sad day

37. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: