Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 424

Thread: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

  1. #26
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,319

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goodbye Lance?
    And Hans hopefully. Don't let the door hit ya...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Peter Vecsey was correct as far back as February?
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I still think Vecsey was reporting out his behind.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't understand. How does Larry go from the press conference and this picture of him working with prospects a few days ago...

    http://instagr.am/p/MLvgGdGYex/

    now he is just "leaving?"

    Doesn't sound right to me. If Bird doesn't stay president I would think he would still be working with the team somehow. Why be involved and then leave two days before the draft?

    Yeah, we go from Bird at the end of May saying that he would "do it (return to the team) today if Herbie was here" and working with draft prospects as your pictures show to all of the sudden leaving on June 26? That makes no sense whatsoever. Something had to happen.

    http://www.masslive.com/celtics/inde...nts_to_re.html

    Sure, it could be his health. But at the end of May he was saying he wanted to come back and Bird is a man of very few words, so him being open and saying that clearly meant he wanted to come back. At the end of May, you would think that he would have clearly evaluated his health situation. Sure something unexpected could have happened, but you would think we would hear about it because health reasons would be the least controversial excuse.

    What a horrible way to start the off-season if all of this stuff is indeed true. Bird gone and Walsh back is completely sickening and is a total buzz kill. I always wanted Bird to say, but I could have lived with it had he left with someone like Pritchard taking over. But going back to Walsh is a giant step backward for this franchise.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  7. #29

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't understand. How does Larry go from the press conference and this picture of him working with prospects a few days ago...

    http://instagr.am/p/MLvgGdGYex/

    now he is just "leaving?"

    Doesn't sound right to me. If Bird doesn't stay president I would think he would still be working with the team somehow. Why be involved and then leave two days before the draft?

    This whole situation has had a smell for weeks. For 3 weeks, Bird and Simon were to have had a meeting that never transpired. It was constantly re-scheduled for the the coming next week. I have mentioned I couldn't understand not having the meeting b4 the week of the draft. A draft week meeting didn't make sense. Something didn't smell right.

    When I heard Walsh was attending workouts, voiced my displeasure. Now, it's obvious why he was there. There was reason why the Exec of the Year met with the Magic's ownership, and it wasn't b/c Bird wanted a "free lunch." Sure, it can be played that it's Bird's health is the reason for his departure, but I find it odd Walsh had numerous health issues in NY and kept his job. To me this is an ownership and Bird not seeing eye to eye going forward situation, and the easing out of Bird with Simon not looking like the bad guy. Sort of like Walsh bringing in Bird to fire Zeke, b/c he couldn't or wouldn't. Bird comes the bad guy and Walsh's hands are clean. Terrible timing and one that absolutely makes me very upset.

    Mr. Bird, I've not been your biggest fan of some of your decisions, BUT I do appreciate your work and effort you gave to the Pacers. I want to THANK YOU for turning around a franchise someone left you in shambles. Thank you again Larry and my best wishes for you in the future....... Justin

  8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole situation has had a smell for weeks. For 3 weeks, Bird and Simon were to have had a meeting that never transpired. It was constantly re-scheduled for the the coming next week. I have mentioned I couldn't understand not having the meeting b4 the week of the draft. A draft week meeting didn't make sense. Something didn't smell right.

    Yeah, that never made sense to me either. Bird saying "I'd do it today if Herbie was here" made me raise my eyebrows a bit. Well where the heck was Herbie? How hard is it for the two of them to drive from their Indianapolis area homes down to the Fieldhouse at the same time and have a meeting?

  10. #31

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Goodbye Lance?
    I believe that's a given as Walsh drafted Rautins and Fields right prior to Bird drafting Stephenson. With Born Ready the best player supposedly ever coming out of NYC you know Walsh had to have seen and had info on Stephenson. Walsh passed on all of Born Ready's great potential. Yep, color Stephenson gone. Maybe Hansbrough too.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  12. #32
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I still think Vecsey was reporting out his behind.
    OK, but either you give him credit when he is right and blame when he is wrong, or you don't put any credence in what he says at all. But you cannot (or should not) blame him when he is wrong, but not credit him when he is right.

  13. #33
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,603

    Default

    Wow.

    Im literally not excited for the draft or offseason anymore.

    What a downright sickening way to start the offseason. Just an absolute step back for this franchise.

    Wow is all I can say
    Last edited by Psyren; 06-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  15. #34

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    I am sincerely sorry to see Larry go but a guy who keeps telling his boss that he won't return unless this or that happens and says it publicly is certainly going to lose his boss' support eventually. I hope Donnie is just interim for a year or so.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  17. #35

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that never made sense to me either. Bird saying "I'd do it today if Herbie was here" made me raise my eyebrows a bit. Well where the heck was Herbie? How hard is it for the two of them to drive from their Indianapolis area homes down to the Fieldhouse at the same time and have a meeting?


    Nor does it make sense bringing back a player for a workout Bird missed either. What kind of a message does this send to possible draftees and their agents??

    No ifs, ands, nor buts this is just p*** poor timing for this to happen. What message is ownership sending to the fans?

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  19. #36
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I just got sick. Uh oh.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  20. #37
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,710

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Well, ****, I was not expecting this to be the way I started my morning. I was positive about the Walsh signing last night, but now after this, I am not.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #38
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,967

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers


    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  23. #39
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Seriously, this is ridiculous.

    Why are we talking about this two days before the draft?

    Bird builds the Pacers back to a respectable club. And now the Pacers FO is a mess two days before the draft?

    Makes me sick.

  24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  25. #40
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Suddenly, I'm a lot less optimistic about this offseason.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  27. #41
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,710

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    I guess the positive spin on this is that if you had told everyone on PD three years ago that Pritchard would be our GM there would have been parades in the streets.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  29. #42
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow.

    Im literally not excited for the draft or offseason anymore.

    What a downright sickening way to start the offseason. Just an absolute step back for this franchise.

    Wow is all I can say
    I think it's a LITTLE early to say that just yet. I, like everyone else, am sad to see Bird leave. I'm also a tad apprehensive to see Walsh come back. BUT we do have Pritchard who is known to make a little magic. Also, when Bird was here I was scared to death that we would "play it safe" in the draft and go for someone like Draymond Green (which has been highly speculated)

    In the end, I think we have to wait and see what types of moves Pritchard and Walsh make to fill out the roster before we make any assumptions.

    I will agree though, this is a pretty big loss for sure.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  31. #43
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nor does it make sense bringing back a player for a workout Bird missed either. What kind of a message does this send to possible draftees and their agents??

    No ifs, ands, nor buts this is just p*** poor timing for this to happen. What message is ownership sending to the fans?
    The message I'm getting from ownership is that they aren't going to spend the money necessary to compete for a championship. Simon thinks fans will start to show up as long as this team is a 3/4 seed in the playoffs.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:


  33. #44
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously, this is ridiculous.

    Why are we talking about this two days before the draft?

    Bird builds the Pacers back to a respectable club. And now the Pacers FO is a mess two days before the draft?

    Makes me sick.
    I suspect Bird will stay on for the draft and be heavily involved.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  35. #45
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,319

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess the positive spin on this is that if you had told everyone on PD three years ago that Pritchard would be our GM there would have been parades in the streets.
    Until Pritchard's fired and Morway's back next week.

    And I know that's not green.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  37. #46
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,967

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The message I'm getting from ownership is that they aren't going to spend the money necessary to compete for a championship.
    History would say you're getting the wrong message then. Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard are the absolute last people you want running a franchise that refuses to spend money. You can debate if they'll spend the money wisely, but neither is known for being the least bit frugal.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  39. #47

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    I'm willing to bet a sizable amount this has something to do with health issues for Bird.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:


  41. #48
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,710

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    History would say you're getting the wrong message then. Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard are the absolute last people you want running a franchise that refuses to spend money. You can debate if they'll spend the money wisely, but neither is known for being the least bit frugal.
    Agreed, I wouldn't be shocked to see us buy a late first round pick on Thursday after this even.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  42. #49
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Again, like others have said....we obviously have an ownership problem. Afraid to spend money. Goes back to his security blanket of 23 years. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Bird never invited Donnie to the work outs last week and he was there on behalf of Simon. Thus Bird's departure.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  43. #50
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, but either you give him credit when he is right and blame when he is wrong, or you don't put any credence in what he says at all. But you cannot (or should not) blame him when he is wrong, but not credit him when he is right.
    So you think Bird knew he was gonna leave in Feb?

Similar Threads

  1. Thank you Larry Bird!
    By dewman_32 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 02:45 AM
  2. The Twitter Bird was named after Larry Bird
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
  3. Larry Bird Interviews Larry Bird
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
  4. Larry Bird on JMV
    By Jonathan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
  5. Larry Bird and the job he has done.
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •