Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 424

Thread: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

  1. #326
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,194

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's decent motive for Bird stepping down. Trading Granger, Hans, etc. may becoming really obvious needs, and his loyalty side would prefer not to do that dirty work.
    That doesn't explain Walsh though, who if anything is even more loyal than Bird. Walsh was here too when we drafted Granger. I guess he'll have an easier time trading guys like Hans or DC, but they're relatively minor guys anyway.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  3. #327
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    If Simon doesn't want to spend to win why does Pritchard or Walsh want to be here?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  5. #328

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Perhaps Simon is just tired of losing money and is content to have a respectable team that can go into the playoffs and make a small profit. The team may eventually be sold upon his death if his kids are not big fans. In other words Simon is winding down his ownership of the team. Winning championships may not be a big thing to a guy in his 80s. This is where Simon and Bird are not on the same page. Donnie is very good at maintaining the status quo and KP probably just wants any position.

    Whatever Simon does or doesn't do he can't be faulted as an owner. He could have bailed on this team many times.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  7. #329
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TJ Ford

    Congrats to HOF LARRY BIRD for getting Indiana Pacers basketball back to a good place. My time wasn't great BUT he kept it 100. will always remember our private conversation over my 3 yr span with HOF Larry Bird "just go out and play like you know how"

    Class act through and through.
    This is exactly the opposite of what Jim O'Brien wanted from T.J.. Larry is a complex man.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  9. #330
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,493

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Simon doesn't want to spend to win why does Pritchard or Walsh want to be here?

    I think the answer to Walsh is obvious. He still considers Indy to be his home and this is the franchise he loves. He can work a few years here in the place he made a name for himself before calling it quits for good.

    Good point though about Pritchard.

    I just think that the Simon's not being willing to spend is more likely the reason than Bird's health, given what Bird said a month ago. That's just a pure guess though.

  10. #331

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Simon doesn't want to spend to win why does Pritchard or Walsh want to be here?
    i don't expect that DW has a fire in the belly anymore. i suspect KP wants a GM job.

  11. #332

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^ those are players he retained, mostly at above market value. Not free agents he acquired because he "thought he was the missing piece."
    AND who gave those players those contracts?

  12. #333

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know this is the second time in all of my years following the Pacers under Simon that I have had this thought. Brad Miller was the first time & now this.

    I'm not saying I'm on board with this line of thinking, yet. But I am now once again put into a position where I have to question it.

    If this is truely health related that is one thing but if this is really about money then.... well I don't know what then as I have little to no choice.

    Refresh my memory, but a few weeks ago didn't Herb say something like he wanted to see what Bird had planned for the next 3 years. If so, maybe Herb didn't like what Bird proposed to him. Thus an impass between the two.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  14. #334
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Simon doesn't want to spend to win why does Pritchard or Walsh want to be here?
    A job is better than no job. Walsh has roots here, it's one of his homes. Pritchard likely is looking for redemption, Indiana took a chance on him when no one else really did.

  15. #335

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AND who gave those players those contracts?
    That's a different argument. The issue was whether the Pacers front office would be willing to go after a star free agent.

    One thing's for sure, tomorrow's press conference will go a long way towards letting us know if we can consider the team a potentially intriguing free agent destination or a situation players want to stay far away from. If it's the latter we better get some quality in this draft.

  16. #336
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A job is better than no job. Walsh has roots here, it's one of his homes. Pritchard likely is looking for redemption, Indiana took a chance on him when no one else really did.
    But you guys are picking and choosing what Wells' source is telling him. If you don't believe what Wells is saying, why believe that Bird is leaving at all? What proof is there that SImon doesn't want to spend, and why wouldn't Larry just be done like you guys are saying?

    The word “retired” is not being used with Bird. He may take a year off so that he can tend to some back and shoulder problems, then decide if he wants return to a front office, according to a source.
    And Wells and Kravitz have both said this is not a payroll issue.

    Simon may not want to spend, but I'm not going to look at it that way without proof.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  18. #337
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a difference between talking and actually doing it though. No owner wants to look like he doesn't care all about winning in front of his fanbase. The fact is we don't know whether Simon would or would not spend and to what extent. Yes, you could point to the past, but that's when the Pacers had fairly good attendance. Maybe Larry told Simon his plans, and Simon said we didn't have the money to back such moves (purely speculation), but we just don't know either way.
    We did make a big signing last year in getting David West.

    No one actually knows Simon's budget except Simon and even he or any other owner in this league can't just freely spend like they could've before the new CBA.

    We aren't a rebuilding lottery bound team like some are making it seem. We're a team in contention as we were 5th best in the league. I trust Simon and the FO to continue to make us more of a legitimate contender.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  20. #338
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We did make a big signing last year in getting David West.

    No one actually knows Simon's budget except Simon and even he or any other owner in this league can't just freely spend like they could've before the new CBA.

    We aren't a rebuilding lottery bound team like some are making it seem. We're a team in contention as we were 5th best in the league. I trust Simon and the FO to continue to make us more of a legitimate contender.
    We also were flirting with the salary tax minimum before picking up Barbosa midway through the season. It's not like we exactly were splurging for David West.

    Bird could've wanted to use $$$ to bring in another significant outside piece or two, ownership may just want to retain our own and be done with it.

  21. #339
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you guys are picking and choosing what Wells' source is telling him. If you don't believe what Wells is saying, why believe that Bird is leaving at all? What proof is there that SImon doesn't want to spend, and why wouldn't Larry just be done like you guys are saying?



    And Wells and Kravitz have both said this is not a payroll issue.

    Simon may not want to spend, but I'm not going to look at it that way without proof.
    How are picking and choosing? Wells hasn't directly said one way or another that Simon is or isn't willing to spend $$$. From what I've read on here, ownership has only publicly said they'd be willing to spend money. It also doesn't make sense why Bird sounded optimistic about returning during his end of season presser and recently interviewed with Orlando if he wasn't serious about returning as an NBA exec. Either his balky back took a major step backward in the past few days or he had a conversation that he didn't like. I think it could be either one, but it's hard to say one way or the other with any certainty from an objective standpoint going off what we know.
    Last edited by PR07; 06-26-2012 at 10:47 PM.

  22. #340
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Good riddance, Green Guy.

    I didn't expect this, and concede that Bird has earned the right to make whatever decision he wants because he showed the necessary patience and slowly rebuilt this team, but I won't miss him. I still blame him more than I blame Walsh for the problems - not trading Artest as soon as he arrived (Brent Barry would not have destroyed the team, for example).

    I assume Pritchard is going to be The Man and Walsh will be in a consulting role, so I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about Walsh's return.

    Tomorrow's press conference will be interesting... hope I can make time to watch or listen.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #341

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    I'd just like to say this: Sometimes there is no writing between the lines. (I hope) Perhaps Larry is just leaving because his back is bothering him and perhaps he'll make a triumphal return next year. Perhaps Herbie is giving (insert big-ticket FA target here) $100 bills to light his cigars with . Perhaps Donnie has learned his lesson/Perhaps Donnie will be willing to take a backseat to KPritch. Perhaps that last one isn't so likely. But I'd still like to hope for the best, not that Donnie will trade everyone on the team for Troy Murphy again, who will be cut by Simon because he costs too much, followed by the Pacers becoming the Seattle Supersonics Mark II. Sorry for the rant, but I'm nervous about this FO situation.
    Last edited by iogyhufi; 06-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.

  24. #342
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,930

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    I don't think it came down to money.... I think it came down to how the money would be spent. Somebody wanted to aggressively build on this past season and somebody probably wanted to patiently see where the team could go with internal growth.

    I suspect Simon wanted to take the patient approach, I suspect Bird wanted to be less loyal and more aggressive. Probably going after FA or RFA's. Maybe trade someone considered an important part of the current team. Meanwhile, Walsh would be the exact opposite of that- An old pal in the front office that would hold the current team together, not make waves with RFA's, and spend the money on our own guys. That's also a recipe for peaking the team, stagnation, regression, and contract hell. Of course if you swing for the fences in FA you can derail things too. But if you aren't overly loyal you can reposition yourself with trades and fix things too.

    I'd prefer it be the other way around but why go out and get Walsh if you're wanting someone in the front office to be more aggressive? Why handcuff the FO with RFA rules that other teams don't play by? So my thinking is Bird had plans to try and fast track the team to the next level. Simon preferred the old comfortable shoe approach.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  26. #343
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    What are the chances that Bird announces this tentatively as a one year hiatus to have his back surgery and rehab? Walsh as the interim President?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  27. #344
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,795
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are the chances that Bird announces this tentatively as a one year hiatus to have his back surgery and rehab? Walsh as the interim President?
    Very unlikely considering he has a hard time committing from year to year as it is.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  28. #345
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,379

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it came down to money.... I think it came down to how the money would be spent. Somebody wanted to aggressively build on this past season and somebody probably wanted to patiently see where the team could go with internal growth.

    I suspect Simon wanted to take the patient approach, I suspect Bird wanted to be less loyal and more aggressive. Probably going after FA or RFA's. Maybe trade someone considered an important part of the current team. Meanwhile, Walsh would be the exact opposite of that- An old pal in the front office that would hold the current team together, not make waves with RFA's, and spend the money on our own guys. That's also a recipe for peaking the team, stagnation, regression, and contract hell. Of course if you swing for the fences in FA you can derail things too. But if you aren't overly loyal you can reposition yourself with trades and fix things too.

    I'd prefer it be the other way around but why go out and get Walsh if you're wanting someone in the front office to be more aggressive? Why handcuff the FO with RFA rules that other teams don't play by? So my thinking is Bird had plans to try and fast track the team to the next level. Simon preferred the old comfortable shoe approach.
    I agree with this.

    I go back to my theory that Bird's goal was to build the best Team that he can put together while Granger was still on board ( hence the 2 year contract offers to West and JCraw...who turned it down ) until the 2013-2014 season. This would likely mean "winning as much as we can over the next 2 seasons" and likely spending $$$ to getting the best Players to fill the weaknesses that Bird saw this season instead of developing from within and patiently waiting for the tree to bear some fruit.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  30. #346
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if you know Larry will be back after a year and need someone to hold down the fort for a year it somewhat makes sense to get Walsh. If it's set in stone Bird comes back after a year, Pacers can live with Walsh for a year. It's not like Walsh is going to go crazy and go trading everyone. He is 71 and has some health problems, but you're asking one year out of him not 3-4 years. Pritchard is there as well so it's not like Walsh everything on his plate.
    All this speculation and reasoning and I haven't read anything but sources saying Bird is gone. Didn't we have this Internet storm just a few weeks ago and it wasn't true? I guess we find out for sure tomorrow.

  31. #347
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,750

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This front office movement should make it difficult for us to get free agents I think.
    How so?

  32. #348
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How so?
    Because if you are a player like Williams, Nash, Dragic and the long time President of the team who is courting you just abruptly announced his resignation like this, woudln't that make you think that the Pacers organization is not in the best shape right now?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  33. #349
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,968

    Talking Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hope Herb Simon makes it very clear to Walsh that if he starts bringing
    in dysfunctional knuckleheads and signing them to outrageous contracts again,
    like the last time things got so terribly screwed up, that he will be fired and
    there will be no more chances.
    fired? and no more chances?

    I was thinking more along the lines of being taken by the scruff of his collar up to the top of BLFH and give him a running start off the edge of the precipice ... LOL
    <---- BLFH
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  35. #350
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,719

    Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

    bball in response to your idea that Simon wanted a slow approach. I don't buy that. Pritchard is not a guy you want running your franchise if you want a slow approach. OK, you say well Walsh is running the franchise - well, we don't know that yet, we'll see. Plus how do I put this nicely. Herb is getting old. He's 77 years old, he doesn't have much longer to enjoy this and to get a championship. So I don't believe he wants a slow approach. He should be in all out win now mode.


    Honestly, I really believe Bird's decision to leave is 95% based on his health. Plus he's now been doing this for 9 years, he almost left after the last couple of years and he's often said that he will leave once the franchise is turned around.

    We can come up with theory after theory, but most of the time the most obvious answer is the right answer
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.

  36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Thank you Larry Bird!
    By dewman_32 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 02:45 AM
  2. The Twitter Bird was named after Larry Bird
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
  3. Larry Bird Interviews Larry Bird
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
  4. Larry Bird on JMV
    By Jonathan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
  5. Larry Bird and the job he has done.
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 01:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •