Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

Default Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

http://www.wthr.com/story/18878911/l...ave-the-pacers

I heard this today on WTHR as I was just waking up....thought I was having a nightmare! I looked everywhere for the past 30 minutes and finally found this on the station's website. I am not sure if it is just speculation or not. Yikes!!! Today could be interesting, to say the least.

Also, FOX 59 is going to have Roy Hibbert and some of the Area 55 members on in the nine o'clock hour....heard that as I was looking for the Larry Bird news.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MunciePacerBabe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING?

Maybe he is im just putting the pieces together and Maybe this is why we got Donnie back

oh man i hope this isnt true

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a hard time believing a story that spells it the "New York Nicks" .......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Oh man its from Wells this means its true

Excited about Pritchard being our GM. Sad to see Bird go, I never heard what his "health issues" are but I hope things are going to be good for him.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Believe it or not... The Indy Star "Print Edition" had this in our hands at 2:15am this morning right on the top banner!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

I'm really surprised by this and the timing of it. Donnie/Pritchard have a tough act to follow. Have those two worked together before?

Mood

Funny thing, I never really felt I had a strong position on Bird as Pres until I read this. Suddenly Im gutted - and a little worried. Thanks again Legend.

For the record I was similarly indifferent to the news of Walsh returning - however that indifference is mutating into premature horror at the thought he will be Bird's replacement. I always liked DW but it feels like the franchise has moved on - its time for new thinking, not old thinking.

Does this shed any light on the Morway departure? Perhaps the key players (Simon, Morway, Pritchard) knew Bird was on the way out and it was clear Pritchard was the anointed successor? Does that make the Morway departure make any more sense? Does it explain the conspicuous absence of Pritchards naming coming up despite the plethora of GM jobs available? Im not really sure... (although it is a convenient interpretation of events that holds Pritchard will take the reins - something I am hoping for so may be a somewhat less than scientific analysis)
    Last edited by Willbo; 06-26-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: late thought....
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Believe it or not... The Indy Star "Print Edition" had this in our hands at 2:15am this morning right on the top banner!
    have to admire Indy Star then. They must've told their online staff to keep it in house, and for quite a while.
    It takes a lot of confidence in your staff to do it nowadays, when every little whisper ends up on 100 blogs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

re the whole thing ---- Bird is known to change his mind on the subject, but this has been way over the top.

Bird-Morway drama, Bird stays, Bird leaves.

The next thing we know, Morway is back and Pritch is gone.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    have to admire Indy Star then. They must've told their online staff to keep it in house, and for quite a while.
    It takes a lot of confidence in your staff to do it nowadays, when every little whisper ends up on 100 blogs.
    Normally, at our Star Media distribution center we receive the daily "METRO" paper at 1:45am... The delay was only 30mins today which tells me that you're probably right about The Star wanting this to be broken by the "Print Edition". For late breaking sports news we usually receive papers closer to 3-3:15am or later.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm really surprised by this and the timing of it. Donnie/Pritchard have a tough act to follow. Have those two worked together before?
    Tell me Walsh has no authority, TELL ME!

Ugh, Bird out and Walsh in.. I'm not liking this at all.. I really liked what bird was doing with the team.. And I don't trust Donnie. Not news I wanna hear first thing in the morning!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

One of the things I was really shocked about when first joining pacersdigest was the level of ire and disdain people had for Donnie Walsh after some of the things that happened while he was here. I agree he isn't without fault, but who isn't? At the time the only person i could sort of understand the disdain for Walsh was Peck and it had more to do with the type of culture that he inadvertantly created by going purely after talent which is fair. I just wasn't one to play the blame game back when it felt like there was team bird and team walsh and every little event that transpired was a chance to point the finger at the other.

I think one of the positives that this could bring about trying to look on the bright side of all of this is I think with Walsh/Pritchard we're going to be super agressive in the whole trading and free agency side of things, and I think that with Walsh being as close to Simon and has his trust maybe can convince him to spend a little extra here and there. I also think that the "overvaluing" of our own players that Bird seemed to have goes bye bye and anyone not named roy hibbert becomes tradeable. I think sometimes Bird kind of got too attached with the players (not a bad thing at all and something that's honestly lacking in probably most other teams' front offices), but people have said and I agreed with that as long as Larry Bird is around Granger isn't going anywhere.

Whatever ends up happening I just hope everyone is on the same page going forward and we already have an idea of what direction we want to take this whole thing.

Also random funny story I actually made my screen name here with Walsh in mind cause I thought if I made one with relation to some player they would end up getting traded and Walsh had already been here with us for forever thought "well it's not like he's going anywhere." **sigh**...oh past TheDon...there are so many things I wish I could tell you and sadly I cannot.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Sweet. So we're back to a two headed monster. A Simon guy in Morway gets canned, Bird's old friend Pritchard gets a promotion, now Simon's pal in Walsh is back.

Walsh is pretty clearly insanely competent, but it just seems like at some point lines were drawn. I hope it's really Larry's back and just not wanting to do it anymore instead of the raising the payroll stuff. Herb and Mel never had a problem spending before, relative to the market size, but times are clearly different.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Ugh. This is ********.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Maybe Donnie's interim President.... with Larry taking a year off to rest, just throwing possiblities out there.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

billbradley

I just don't understand. How does Larry go from the press conference and this picture of him working with prospects a few days ago...

http://instagr.am/p/MLvgGdGYex/

now he is just "leaving?"

Doesn't sound right to me. If Bird doesn't stay president I would think he would still be working with the team somehow. Why be involved and then leave two days before the draft?

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

SBnation speculates its a health related reason. We know he's planning to have back surgery.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Bird LEAVING the Pacers

Another theory - Could it be that Bird was planning to come back but Simon decided he wanted to bring Walsh back on board for some reason and Bird said he couldn't work with him again?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

35. The Following User Says Thank You to fwpacerfan For This Useful Post:

So, Dan Dakich's source was correct. And Peter Vecsey was correct as far back as February? Several others had it since too.

I did change the thread title as it doesn't seem to be a question anymore

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    Another theory - Could it be that Bird was planning to come back but Simon decided he wanted to bring Walsh back on board for some reason and Bird said he couldn't work with him again?
    I suppose that is possible, but I highly doubt it. We'll never know for sure.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Goodbye Lance?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Wow. All through the year I was expecting Bird to retire, because of his comments last year, but I thought he'd change his mind and decided to return after his news conference. This development is surprising to say the least.

Like others, I think there's more to the story which we haven't heard yet. Also, I find it a bit surprising that our management team might end up being Walsh and Pritchard, when Pritchard (Bird's guy) is slated to replace Morway (Walsh's guy). About the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with is that Bird told Simon that he wanted Pritchard to succeed him, but that Simon was hesitant to turn the team fully over to Pritchard. Walsh's return to oversee Pritchard might be the compromise solution.

To TheDon: For myself, I do recognize Walsh's competence and past contributions to the franchise, and in a vacuum (e.g. both Bird and Pritchard leaving), then Simon turning to what he obviously considers a safe pair of hands (Walsh) would be entirely reasonable. Now though... it seems like 2-headed monster part 2 is being set up. Especially since Pritchard doesn't appear to be Walsh's hire. I hope it works out and it truly becomes a case of "2 heads is better than one". But the aphorism that actually comes to mind is "too many cooks spoil the broth". That' my fear anyway.