Thread: Jared Sullinger?

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jared Sullinger?

I'm just curious what you guys think about drafting this guy at 26 if he is there. He's fallen from high lottery to low teens in about a month, and I think most pundits wouldn't be shocked if he became this year's Dejuan Blair: huge health risk, but a (high) lottery-level talent. If he's sitting there at 26, would you take him?

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Default Re: Jared Sullinger?

at 26, you bet your

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Of course

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

As always, impossible to tell until you see who else is there when you pick.

But yes, He would at least intrigue me
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Absolutely.

In fact, we should be trying to trade up a few spots to get him.

I think we would be a great fit for him with West and Big Roy taking him under their wing. He's not the perfect fit for us, but he would definitely add to our "smashmouth" physical style of play.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How bad is his injury history?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

My only concern with him outside of back problems is his Tyler Hansbrough-esque ability to hedge screens and not recover quick enough off of a pick n roll.

With DX last mock out today, Sullinger is projected at #14 with the Rockets.

A lot of movement in the 10-30 picks with Zeller at #11 and Teague at #30.

I'll be real surprised if we get the chance to... I'ld take him in a heart beat despite this...

Last edited by J7F; 06-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My only concern with him outside of back problems is his Tyler Hansbrough-esque ability to hedge screens and not recover quick enough off of a pick n roll.
    This. If he became a PF of the future, we would still have a slow footed frontcourt. This would definitely leave us at a semi-disadvantage with so many teams utilizing a more athletic, hybrid 4 these days.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A guy with his set of skills falling that low because of health questions? Heck, yeah. Its not like we'd be paying him a whole lot and then there's the huge upside.

He'll be a good player in this league. Definitely.

I think the only reason you don't take him at 26 is if the medical staff says he absolutely won't play 3 years (ie the guaranteed length of his contract.) I would however, be concerned with moving up to get him, where you're then betting multiple assets on his health.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

No green room for Sullinger.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...-invited-draft

Former Ohio State star and two-time all-American Jared Sullinger will watch the NBA draft in Columbus at a restaurant instead of in the green room in Newark's Prudential Center after the NBA declined to invite him to Thursday's draft.

With the NBA draft days away, ESPN Insider Chad Ford projects Jared Sullinger to be drafted at No. 19 by Orlando. Mock Draft 9.0

NBA executive vice president Stu Jackson told ESPN.com that Sullinger wouldn't be invited based on the reports the league had received that Sullinger wouldn't go in the top 15.

"He's more likely to go in the teens or in the 20s," said Jackson. "We continue to have contact with teams but at this late date we don't anticipate inviting him."

Last week ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported that Sullinger's medical reports were red-flagged by a number of teams after the Chicago pre-draft camp because of a back issue. But Satch Sullinger, Jared's father who coached him in high school in Columbus, refuted it, saying that his son had muscle issues, and not a disc problem. Sullinger dealt with back spasms last December, forcing him to miss a road game at Kansas, but he was well enough to lead the Buckeyes to the Final Four.

Satch Sullinger said Monday that the family isn't anticipating an invitation and will host a party at a Columbus restaurant.

"We haven't been invited, so we're not going to go," he said.

Jackson said the official green-room list of projected lottery players will be released Tuesday. The players have to be notified by late Monday since they have to be in New York by Tuesday night.

Jared Sullinger worked out Monday for Detroit, which picks ninth.

"I know we haven't been invited and so we're not going to go," Satch Sullinger said. "Unless (Pistons GM) Joe Dumars said they like him at No. 9 we're not going to go."

Satch Sullinger said his son has worked out for New Orleans (for its No. 10 pick), Portland (for No. 11), Golden State (for No. 7, though the Warriors also have No. 30) and Toronto (No. 8) before the Monday workout with the Pistons.

Satch Sullinger said his son canceled the workout in Cleveland last week since the family didn't see how he would go No. 4.

His father also said his son's agent, David Falk, is working diligently behind the scenes to ease any issues about Jared's back.

Satch Sullinger said Jared won't get discouraged that he won't have the symbolic handshake with the commissioner at the draft.

"He wants the opportunity to play," Satch Sullinger said. "He knows he'll play in the NBA. All it does is give him motivation. This just keeps him hungry and he'll earn it. It's a business. He's going to play in the NBA, whatever number he goes doesn't matter. He's going to be like a top five pick in the NBA."
    I could totally see Orlando going for Sullinger given the likely departure of Dwight....I'd hope that if there was a way to move up to draft before Orlando that Bird consider it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Love him at #26, but I don't think he would ever slip by Boston's two picks ahead of us, if he lasts that long.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)