View Poll Results: What would you offer him?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full max offer

4 10.00%
  • Close to max

7 17.50%
  • Max or close to it is too much

20 50.00%
  • I wouldn't offer for him at all

9 22.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Eric Gordon was not a RFA

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default If Eric Gordon was not a RFA

Would you offer him the max or close to that?

I would give him however much it takes to get him. I think he would be a good fit next to PG for the future and it would give us the opportunity to trade Granger for a high pick to possibly get Thomas Robinson.

DC
    Gordon
    George
    Robinson
    Hibbert
    Last edited by Jeremy; 06-23-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If Eric Gordon was not a RFA

You don't offer an injury prone guy a max contract, but if your not set at SG you definitely make an offer.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't offer an injury prone guy a max contract, but if your not set at SG you definitely make an offer.
    I think the risk is small because he doesn't rely on athleticism to get his points or anything like that. I think his injury history is a fluke.

Eric is a good player, however I don't think Eric is a max player when healthy.

Remember JO? His contract really killed us! The lesson; big contracts kill, so don't gamble on players who seem to be injury prone.

So because of his injury issues, if I was a GM in need of a 2 guard, I wouldn't risk anything more than two years at the mid level until Eric could prove himself healthy.

Eric turned down a huge contract before his last injury, so if I were Bird, and the way things stand at present, I wouldn't offer him anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Eric is a good player, however I don't think Eric is a max player when healthy.

Remember JO? His contract really killed us! The lesson; big contracts kill, so don't gamble on players who seem to be injury prone.

So because of his injury issues, if I was a GM in need of a 2 guard, I wouldn't risk anything more than two years at the mid level until Eric could prove himself healthy.

Eric turned down a huge contract before his last injury, so if I were Bird, and the way things stand at present, I wouldn't offer him anything.
    GMs don't do that though and Gordon definitely won't take the MLE let alone a 2 year contract. When the risk is as small as the risk is for Gordon then the best thing to do is to be quick and snatch him up. He probably at least wants a 5 or 4 year deal making at least 12m a year, and he is well worth that.

Being an IU fan I have watched and kept an eye on Eric Gordon for a while and have seen him go thru many injury issues in different parts of his body. I think that's a bad sign that he is a bit fragile.

He had a wrist injury the whole time at IU. Continues to deal with wrist issues as he took a hard foul that injured it in the NBA. Then came the big knee injury. He has played in 205 games since going pro out of 312 possible games his teams played in. Including only 9 last year. Im just not interested in paying him near the max.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

first of all, i don't consider him a max player. good player, yes. but not a max guy.

one of the things i really like about the current pacer team is the size in SG, C and SF. I would like the team to keep those guys and add some size at PG and PF to that rather than get smaller.

Oh the

Removed

... People seriously wouldn't even offer a 23yr old shooting guard can actually shoot and create his own shot?

Kind of reminds me how many on here were opposed to bringing in Rondo due to his lack of an outside jumper and him being on the trade block as a bad sign.
    Last edited by croz24; 06-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

croz, I wouldn't call these people's opinions stupid, as it's your own narrow-mindedness that is causing you to think the way you are.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    croz, I wouldn't call these people's opinions stupid, as it's your own narrow-mindedness that is causing you to think the way you are.
    These are likely the same people who still worship Danny Granger as the Pacers savior bound to bring us countless titles.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Actually, probably not.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Refraining from offering Gordon a contract you know he won't accept is far from saying "I don't want him on my team." Any sensible person would want a healthy Eric Gordon on their team. There are very legitimate concerns which make it far from stupid to not want to be the team that's on the hook for his next, quite likely huge, contract.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

18. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Oh the

Removed

... People seriously wouldn't even offer a 23yr old shooting guard can actually shoot and create his own shot?

Kind of reminds me how many on here were opposed to bringing in Rondo due to his lack of an outside jumper and him being on the trade block as a bad sign.
    It must have been a very small minority. My general opinion was that MOST of the forum was on board to take Rondo for DC and Hansbrough.

EDIT:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...eadline-rumors

Feel free to read through the thread....
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 06-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Gordon was not a RFA he would still be likely to play < 50 games next year.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    It must have been a very small minority. My general opinion was that MOST of the forum was on board to take Rondo for DC and Hansbrough.

EDIT:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...eadline-rumors

Feel free to read through the thread....
    Exactly. DC and Hansbrough is a garbage package and MOST of the forum would not be willing to give up Granger for Rondo when Rondo is twice the player. We tend to overrate our own players far too often and let homerism get the best of us. Gordon is a guy who is from here and wants to be here. Talent wise, nobody on our roster can match what Gordon brings to the court, so the fact that people wouldn't even offer him a contract speaks volumes towards the basketball intelligence of some.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Exactly. DC and Hansbrough is a garbage package and MOST of the forum would not be willing to give up Granger for Rondo when Rondo is twice the player. We tend to overrate our own players far too often and let homerism get the best of us. Gordon is a guy who is from here and wants to be here. Talent wise, nobody on our roster can match what Gordon brings to the court, so the fact that people wouldn't even offer him a contract speaks volumes towards the basketball intelligence of some.
    Look again at the choices. The choices were to offer a max contract, a near max contract. max or close to it is too much or to make no offer at all. I wouldn't mind seeing him here but not for a max or near max contract with his injury history. bring him in for half that and I am on board. He has done nothing in the NBA and most people base this on his time at IU....

Sports Logo

Back on topic.....I'd offer him $10-11 mil per year....not a Max contract offer....but something similar to what Monta Ellis got. EJ IMHO is in the same tier of Players that Players like Granger, Monta, Deng and Iggy got...a borderline All-star type player that may get the nod to play in the All-Star Game once or twice in his career that will be an above Average Starter but not a Franchise Level Player ( as in what Granger has become ). If the Hornets match...whatever.....his injuries are a concern...but that's the risk that a Team would take if they want a Player like him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Many on here appear content to wait for a no-brainer superstar to land in the pacers lap for free. I doubt I've ever seen such a risk adverse fan base. It's no wonder the team's MO has appeared to be to just try to make the playoffs. I've seen some that wouldn't offer Deron Williams a max contract. Many wouldnt trade Granger for anything short of Lebron - and then they'd only do it if he took a pay cut. It's crazy. Maybe Gordon isn't the risk to take, but everyone is fooling themselves if they think this team will be more than a road bump to other teams title runs without taking a risk at some point.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    Many on here appear content to wait for a no-brainer superstar to land in the pacers lap for free. I doubt I've ever seen such a risk adverse fan base. It's no wonder the team's MO has appeared to be to just try to make the playoffs. I've seen some that wouldn't offer Deron Williams a max contract. Many wouldnt trade Granger for anything short of Lebron - and then they'd only do it if he took a pay cut. It's crazy. Maybe Gordon isn't the risk to take, but everyone is fooling themselves if they think this team will be more than a road bump to other teams title runs without taking a risk at some point.
    And since when is Paul George showing superstar potential, right? He's just a lazy sit at the three point line Granger type player.

Feel free to offer suggestions that...

1) Doesn't involve an injury-prone player (Gordon, Oden, Brandon Roy, etc.)
    2) Doesn't involve going into salary cap hell (giving a max contract for the sake of giving one).
    3) Doesn't involve gutting our team of 3-4 young pieces to get one "Superstar".
    4) Doesn't involve tanking the season.
    5) Doesn't involve "lateral" movements (Granger for Iggy, Collison for Holliday, etc).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    And since when is Paul George showing superstar potential, right? He's just a lazy sit at the three point line Granger type player.
    You must watching a different Pacers team. The Paul George I watched did a little bit more in a TEAM oriented offense than just camp on the 3PT land.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...51/paul-george

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Now you are trolling.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

2) Doesn't involve going into salary cap hell (giving a max contract for the sake of giving one).
    5) Doesn't involve "lateral" movements (Granger for Iggy, Collison for Holliday, etc).
    Basically, give you an option that doesn't involve risk. Lucky for many, I have no control, so I will sit here and watch the ultra conservative approach lead the pacers to "their title" - a playoff berth.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

If you get a chance to do #3, you should jump on it in a minute. You will not be a serious contender without a superstar. But, no worry, there is no team that would trade a "Superstar" for any three or four of any of the Pacers.......

Basically, give you an option that doesn't involve risk. Lucky for many, I have no control, so I will sit here and watch the ultra conservative approach lead the pacers to "their title" - a playoff berth.
    Considering that this team is really 1-2 pieces from yearly contentions...why go overboard with the risks? ESPECIALLY if the risks prevents us from making OTHER moves to negate the problem if the risk goes bad.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 06-23-2012 at 05:19 PM.