Thread: Hawaii - Travel tips?

Default Hawaii - Travel tips?

Well, it looks like I'll be going to Hawaii the first week of December for my Honeymoon. Well be staying 4 nights on Oahu, and 3 nights on Kona (big island)

Definitely looking forward to body boarding and surfing, but wondering where the best places are to learn surfing on Waikiki, or should i stay off of Waikiki? I've seen a few hotel resorts that are on the north shore or past Diamond Head that look alittle more secluded from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.

We haven't book it yet, but so far looking at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beech. And Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel on Kona. Booking these through AAA. Hapuna seems to have one of the nicest beaches on Kona.

Our main Itinerary is Pearl Harbor, Surfing, Hiking to the top of Diamond Head, Go see top of Volcano on Kona. Anyone have any other recommendations?
    We'll be renting cars both Islands, is a convertible a must?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Default Re: Hawaii - Travel tips?

You cannot go to Kona without taking a catarmaran to view the lava streaming off into the ocean. Kileauau caldera was more active than it had been in the past 20 years when I went there a couple of years ago, and my friend (who is taking my advice) has been following the activity and says that the views that are being reported both at the museum in Volcanoes National Park and by boat are still spectacular. Unless the caldera and lava flows are visible, would recommend taking the boat and passing on the helicopter.

I personally wasn't a big fan of Oahu; I felt there there were too many people for my taste. I really like the other islands there, Kauai, Maui, Big Island. More open space and less people.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

alittle update.

We are now going to Oahu and Maui instead of Kona. Spending 4 nights on both Islands. The more research I did on Kona, I found it to be alittle too much driving involved. Not wanting to do 6-7 hours of driving a day on my honeymoon.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    alittle update.

We are now going to Oahu and Maui instead of Kona. Spending 4 nights on both Islands. The more research I did on Kona, I found it to be alittle too much driving involved. Not wanting to do 6-7 hours of driving a day on my honeymoon.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the islands, but many of the sites (and sights) worth seeing are a bit of a drive away from the resort areas, and since you are going that far around the world anyway.....well, I'm just saying that you don't have the opportunity to see an active volcano many times in one's life, living in the midwest. On Maui we enjoyed "snuba" and the trek up the large extinct volcano, but in the fog the winding road is not for the faint of heart.