View Poll Results: Should PG play in Summer League?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    34 59.65%
  • No

    23 40.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

  1. #1
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    I posted in another thread that Brunner, Joe, Grady and Wells were all discussing this on 1070.

    The consensus was that PG should play in Summer League so he can better learn how to be "the man."

    Is this a slap in the face? Playing with the USA Select team, best in the world, then with mostly NBA rejects.

    Or is it good to get PG ready and improve his game?

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,719

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    If he wants to then fine, if he doesn't I won't hold that against him. He is on the select team - when do they play?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,807

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I posted in another thread that Brunner, Joe, Grady and Wells were all discussing this on 1070.

    The consensus was that PG should play in Summer League so he can better learn how to be "the man."

    Is this a slap in the face? Playing with the USA Select team, best in the world, then with mostly NBA rejects.

    Or is it good to get PG ready and improve his game?
    If Paul George made a request to not play in summer league thats one thing, however PG seams like the consumate gym rat. He was playing in LA summer leagues before the playoffs were even over so it would not surprise me if he was happy to play with the team. With the USA select team or other schedule conflicts he may not want to, but it would surprise me if he had a problem playing with Lance and Pendergraph for a week.

  5. #4
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was playing in LA summer leagues before the playoffs were even over
    On 1070, they also discussed PG being in LA. They though it would be better for him to be in Indy with other teammates doing the workouts and drills the team wanted for PG's improvement.

  6. #5
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is on the select team - when do they play?
    Team is...

    Named earlier as members of the 2012 USA Basketball Select squad were: DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs / Pittsburgh); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings / Kentucky); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors / USC); Derrick Favors (Utah Jazz / Georgia Tech); Paul George (Indiana Pacers / Fresno State); Taj Gibson (Chicago Bulls / USC); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz / Butler); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers / Duke); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs / San Diego State); Jeremy Lin (New York Knicks / Harvard); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors / Washington State); and John Wall (Washington Wizards / Kentucky).
    plus Stiemsma and Lance Thomas.

    Schedule...

    Members of the USA Select Team will assemble in Las Vegas and conduct a training session July 5, then train with the USA National Team July 6-11 (12:00-3:00 p.m. PDT). All practices will take place at UNLV’s Mendenhall Center.

    The USA National Team will open its 2012 training with a July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas, Nev., that concludes with the July 12 (6:00 p.m. local time) USA Basketball Showcase that features the USA facing the Dominican Republic at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center. Tickets for the exhibition game can be purchased by calling 702-739-FANS or online at http://www.UNLVtickets.com/eventInfo...sa-basketball/.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...Team_add2.html

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On 1070, they also discussed PG being in LA. They though it would be better for him to be in Indy with other teammates doing the workouts and drills the team wanted for PG's improvement.
    He is getting much, much better competition out there. If he's going to be one of the best, he needs to play with the best.

    The best don't go to Vegas or Orlando.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    I think him playing against the USA team would be better practice than destroying a bunch of DLeague scrubs... :\

  11. #8
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is getting much, much better competition out there. If he's going to be one of the best, he needs to play with the best.

    The best don't go to Vegas or Orlando.
    Who all does he play with in LA?

    Their argument was he needs to get stronger and bigger.

  12. #9
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Posts
    3,551
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    No.

    He should work with other players who are already established at the NBA level anywhere he can find them. Summer league would be nothing more to him than an exhibition where he would learn the bad habits associated with being "the man" (no passing, everything is a highlight reel opportunity, etc.) as opposed to refining his game against NBA level competition.

  13. #10
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    1. Paul George can use all the offseason work he can get.
    2. Watching some of the Drew League highlights, where Paul is exhibiting his athleticism and aggressiveness, proves that he should do the same against NBA-level players, instead of LA-based underground players.
    3. The more games a team can play together, the better. If Lance participates, as well as our draft pick(s), then I see no reason why Paul shouldn't be included.
    4. Paul has to really step it up this year. The sooner he uses his skills against NBA players, and the more he gets accustomed to doing so, the better he'll produce in the regular season.
    5. I just want to be able to watch more Paul George during the offseason. I wish I could watch Drew League games just so I could see him show out. He's really starting to fill his shoes as far as "coming of age" goes, and I think that it would look great on him to participate.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  14. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who all does he play with in LA?

    Their argument was he needs to get stronger and bigger.
    I believe he is playing in the Drew League. I'm not sure who they have participating this year, but they have some of the best NBA players there every year.

    Just by nature of there being so many top players from Southern California, the competition is much higher than he'd get working out at the Pacers' facility.

  16. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Summer league is for rookies and players looking to earn more playing time. Not starters on playoff teams.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Who is the most accomplished player in Summer League history?

  19. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Offhand, I'd guess Marco belinelli.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #15
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Who starts at the 2 and 3 for that USA Select Team? You have DeRozen, George, Hayward, Leonard, and Thompson. I'd love to see George and Hayward as a tandem.
    Any chance that one of these Select roster players gets picked up for the actual Olympic squad?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  21. #16
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,026
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Why do people think Summer League will help him learn how to be "The Man", it will be easy to be "The Man" with lesser competition and lesser players on your team, I doubt it will convert over to the regular season, for that he will need to learn how to be "The Man" when the team starts practicing together. Hopefully he will continue to get better and become more aggressive on offense during the summer, and then bring those skills back to Indy when he rejoins his teammates.
    Why so SERIOUS

  22. #17
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,190

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    I'd say both if possible. To me, having him play the summer league isn't so much that he can dominate, but so that the coaching staff get some more time to work with him and help develop his game.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  24. #18
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,635

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Nah, I would like him to get some run as a go to guy and he would get that in summer league, but he would be playing against inferior competition which wont help at all.. I am not strongly against it but I don't want him to get used to playing against bad players and start thinking he is gonna be able to play like that against everyone..

  25. #19

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Definitely not. The focus of the summer league needs to be on our draft pick, Lance, and Geoff. Having PG play and trying to be "the man" would just interfere with the development of the young guys.

  26. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,836
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who all does he play with in LA?

    Their argument was he needs to get stronger and bigger.
    I watched PG play last week Josh Childress and Austin Daye guarded him the whole game in the drew league.

  27. #21

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    I can already picture him getting hurt in summer league and the same people who want him to play with those scrubs will be pissed at Bird & Vogel for letting him play in it.

  28. #22
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    If it helps his game, then absolutely!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  30. #23
    PD Magician Magic P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    I know injuries can occur any where but if PG got hurt in summer league I would be fuming.

  31. #24
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is the most accomplished player in Summer League history?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2513148

    Artest talks midseason game in summer league

    LAS VEGAS -- Caught his act myself Friday night. Ron Artest is indeed playing Vegas.

    He's officially a summer-leaguer for the Sacramento Kings and I'd say he's already in mid-season form.

    At least with his proclamations.

    Artest stopped for a brief chat with ESPN.com before helping a team of Sacramento youngsters and free-agent hopefuls to a 91-72 cruise past the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. It gave the king of Kings -- dubbed one day earlier by co-owner Joe Maloof as "the face of our franchise" -- an opportunity to tell me that A) he's guaranteeing a championship next season and B) he's refusing to let free-agent sidekick Bonzi Wells leave the team.

    You'll recall that Artest pronounced the Kings to be title-worthy before their tighter-than-expected series with San Antonio in the first round of the playoffs. But he's saying it even louder now even though Artest hasn't yet played a minute under new coach Eric Musselman, and even though Sacramento doesn't yet have an agreement to re-sign Wells.

    "We're going to win a championship next year," Artest announced, "and continue from there."

    As for Wells?

    "Bonzi ... he has to come back," Artest said. "I've talked to him a couple times [since free agency began]. He has no choice but to come back, or else he's going to be in trouble with me and Mike Bibby.

    "He has to come back or he's going to have to see me and Mike. We're going to take him into the bathroom, tie him up and whale on his legs."
    Artest mentioned that plan twice, so I think he's serious.

    He was a bit more subdued once he got on the floor against the Hornets, blending in as much as he ever can. Members of the Golden State Warriors' summer squad, who played in the game before Sacramento's, lingered along the baseline for a bit to catch a glimpse of Artest mixing with NBA dreamers, but Artest gradually receded into a complementary role, intent on letting Kevin Martin do most of the carrying.

    Artest logged 25 minutes in his debut and finished with a quiet 12 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Yet he insists that these games are a useful means to get an early start on preseason conditioning and learning Musselman's system. Musselman doesn't coach the Kings' summer team but takes an active role in its practices, which already has Artest convinced that he'll have to be in better-than-ever shape because of "the way he runs and presses."

    "There's some good players here," Artest said. "I play pickup ball every day and the talent is not as good as this talent. So what better place to play pick-up ball than Vegas?

    "It's not like a walk in the park for me. These guys can play. This is game situations. [So] it gives me a chance to work on my defense. I'm pretty sure, because of the [defensive] reputation I have, [that] guys want to come at me."

    Truth is, Artest should be applauded for making the trek to the Vegas Summer League. It's the truth even though he didn't fly into town until Thursday night, forcing Artest to miss Sacramento's opener here, and even if no one has any idea how long he'll stay.

    In the glory days of summer league in the 1980s, big-name veterans making cameos were commonplace. I still remember my first trip to the L.A. Summer League in 1989: Dominique Wilkins and Karl Malone were among the future Hall of Famers who dropped in unannounced for a good run.

    Artest took it a step further and promised in advance to be here, which had the Maloof brothers -- watching their favorite player just a short drive from their family's Palms hotel -- struggling to contain their glee.

    Says Joe: "Before, when you said 'Sacramento Kings,' you would have thought of Chris Webber or Vlade Divac. Now it's Ron Artest."
    Three more interesting proclamations from King Ron:

    • On the Indiana Pacers losing Peja Stojakovic to the Hornets in free agency after trading Artest to Sacramento for Stojakovic in January: "They didn't get stuck without nothing. [Second-year swingman] Danny Granger is a really good player. Really good. He will fill the void. Definitely."

    • On the coaching switch from Rick Adelman, whom he wanted the Kings to retain, to the stricter Musselman: "I'm hoping I never have to get disciplined. I'm just going to stay right and listen to coach. If he ever has to discipline me, I'll be ready to take that, but I'm not trying to ever get to that point."

    • And reflecting on the San Antonio series: "I was suspended [for] Game 2 and we still could have won that game. I twisted my ankle bad in Game 6 and Bonzi pulled his hamstring bad in Game 6. That was our series to win. I was saying that all along, that we would have a chance to win a championship. We were right."

    I'm not quite sure how a six-game exit in the first round validates a championship prediction, but this was not the night to quibble. You don't expect to see a true showman in summer league anymore, even in Vegas. So you enjoy the show when they show up.

  32. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: Should Paul George Participate in Summer League?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is the most accomplished player in Summer League history?
    As far as the Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando, Travis Diener is a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

    While attempting to find some stats to back that statement up, I stumbled across this ESPN article with a cringe-worthy headline:

    Diener's on, Bird sees ROY for Morrison
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2518659
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 06-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 05:26 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM
  3. Last summer's Orlando summer league results
    By KennerLeaguer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 06:15 PM
  5. Should Ron Artest participate in the Summer League?
    By scar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •