Thread: CBS Sports: Report: Colts, Andrew Luck hung up on contract over marketing opportunities

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default CBS Sports: Report: Colts, Andrew Luck hung up on contract over marketing opportunities

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-opportunities

As Pasquarelli writes, “One of the stumbling blocks in negotiations between Indianapolis and the top overall choice in the draft ... is the proposed inclusion of marketing language that Luck and his representatives, at least so far, regard as strident. One source with knowledge of the talks even suggested that Luck would ‘have to clear' marketing proposals with the club.”

Peyton Manning, also a No. 1 draft pick for the Colts who went on to become a huge poster-boy for a massive amount of different products, apparently didn't have that kind of clause in his rookie contract.

So, if all this is true, it seems unfair for Indianapolis to try to limit Luck's potential to make money on the side, especially with the rookie cap in its second year. At the same time, some in the Colts organization (according to Pasquarelli) believe that Manning was overexposed, which could be why the franchise is trying to exert some control over this matter.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CBS Sports: Report: Colts, Andrew Luck hung up on contract over marketing opportunities

How can a player be overexposed in terms of marketing opportunities? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Default Re: CBS Sports: Report: Colts, Andrew Luck hung up on contract over marketing opportunities

Just release him. He's obviously not worth our time.

But no, that's dumb by the Colts.. Let the man do what he wants with his advertisements.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Why would a team that has had trouble selling all of its season tickets this season worry about the "overexposure" of its young rookie phenom quarterback? The popularity of this team in future years largely depends on him so the Colts should have no trouble with him being out there as much as possible. Peyton Manning being in every commercial imaginable was certainly not a bad thing for the Colts.

EDIT: I'll wait and see what happens and give the Colts the benefit of the doubt. Hope this isn't true though.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-23-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Give him what he wants Colts before he decides he doesn't want to play here.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give him what he wants Colts before he decides he doesn't want to play here.
    He doesn't have any other choice. He has missed a lot already. The Colts should get the contract done so he can be in camp. He will need all of the prepartion possible. This just gives everyone an excuse.......

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Without knowing what this is all about I can take a guess that maybe the Colts just want some control over potential conflicts in marketing. Let's say the Colts sign a deal with GM so that "GM is the official vehicle company of the Indianapolis Colts". If that's the case then they wouldn't want Luck being the official spokesman for Ford.

You wouldn't want the Colts on the "Coca Cola Sports Radio Network" and then have Luck's voice hawking Pepsi on a series of affiliate buys.

Peyton paved the way for a star Colts QB to have lots of advertising possibilities. Therefore, it could be that the Colts aren't so much trying to treat Luck differently but are just realizing there's the potential for a conflict of interest there that might not have been considered 15 years ago and wanting to get in front of it now with some contractual guarantees....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without knowing what this is all about I can take a guess that maybe the Colts just want some control over potential conflicts in marketing. Let's say the Colts sign a deal with GM so that "GM is the official vehicle company of the Indianapolis Colts". If that's the case then they wouldn't want Luck being the official spokesman for Ford.

You wouldn't want the Colts on the "Coca Cola Sports Radio Network" and then have Luck's voice hawking Pepsi on a series of affiliate buys.

Peyton paved the way for a star Colts QB to have lots of advertising possibilities. Therefore, it could be that the Colts aren't so much trying to treat Luck differently but are just realizing there's the potential for a conflict of interest there that might not have been considered 15 years ago and wanting to get in front of it now with some contractual guarantees....

That makes too much sense not acceptable in our tabloid media........

I mean I don't think much of Irsay personally but even he's not that dumb.

Mood

It will get done before training camp begins. It is just a little posturing by both parties to see what they can get.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just sign the ****ing deal.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post: