Thread: Debating whether or not to keep NBATV

Mood

Default Debating whether or not to keep NBATV

I've had NBATV for years through different providers, but with my current provider (Cinergy Metronet), it's part of their second tier of channels beyond the standard package. That would be fine, except I've realized that I'm not watching a single other channel in that tier, basically ever, which means I'm basically paying $18 a month just to have NBATV around.

I'm starting to think I should just cut bait because while I like it, I don't watch it a ton. It's just nice knowing its there for whenever I feel like flipping to it for a few minutes to see what's up around the league if it's their nightly show, something big is happening or an event is coming up that they'll have extra coverage on (summer league, all-star weekend, training camps), and then every so often there's a documentary I'm interested in (like the one about the Dream Team this week), but again that's hardly every week.

I guess what I'm saying is I use it enough to want to keep it in general, yet because of the channel structure of my provider, I'm left to decide if this channel is worth $18 a month on its own, since I'm essentially getting nothing else from that tier that I care about.

I go back and forth on what I think.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Debating whether or not to keep NBATV

How often do they allow you to change packages, and is there a "service fee" for doing that?

I've got to say that NBATV is part of my Dish Network package, but if they took it away I wouldn't bat an eye. I would just keep getting my info where I am now - ESPN Radio, Yahoo sports radio, other radio stations, ESPN TV, etc. Oh, and of course Pacers Digest. The internet is chock full of sports news, as well. Nope, wouldn't miss it.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does a Pacer game on NBATV black out FSI?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo

When NBATV shows Pacer games, does the Local Pacer Sports channel block the game on their channel?

or

Is it vice versa where NBATV gets blocked out?

The only other reason I would see to keep it is if you catch Pacer games that are showed on NBATV from time to time.....but I'm guessing that you get it on the Local Sports channel.

But it sounds like you already have decided what you want to do.....you just need a gentle "push" to take the proverbial plunge off the cliff.

$18 a month isn't worth it...you can probably use the $$$ saved to upgrade seats for a few games over the course of the season
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA TV is only worth it if you enjoy non NBA basketball such as summer league or international games.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

NBA TV is pretty much useless in the off season...
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I love it and watch it a ton during the season and even more during the playoffs but from late June through October it isn't all that useful

billbradley

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the classic games, I love that during the off-season.

Summer League after the draft is always fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

By the sounds of it, your decision has already been fairly made.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How often do they allow you to change packages, and is there a "service fee" for doing that?

I've got to say that NBATV is part of my Dish Network package, but if they took it away I wouldn't bat an eye. I would just keep getting my info where I am now - ESPN Radio, Yahoo sports radio, other radio stations, ESPN TV, etc. Oh, and of course Pacers Digest. The internet is chock full of sports news, as well. Nope, wouldn't miss it.
    I'll have to ask, but my hunch is that there is not a fee for dropping a package. It's not really switching; you pay for the standard tier, then you pay an additional fee for another. I'm just looking at dropping one while keeping the standard (base) tier.

Yeah, I definitely don't need it to get my news; Twitter and PD handle that excellently. I just sometimes like to watch coverage of the NBA (games, events, stories), and they do a decent job of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Does a Pacer game on NBATV black out FSI?
    I believe I made the mistake of trying to DVR one of our Orlando series games on NBATV that was also covered by FSI (thought I'd get a different flavor and listen to their people cover the game for something different), and when I got home to re-watch the game (I attended live), it was blacked out. So FSI gets the nod when this happens.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the classic games, I love that during the off-season.

Yeah, classic games can be fun, though I normally don't have the time/interest/patience to sit through an entire game. Still, it's neat to watch for a few minutes.

I don't care about any other teams during summer league (unless there's a high-profile rookie I can check out from another team, but even then only so long), but I liked how they covered the Pacers SL two summers ago.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post

I do watch those occassionally and also the classic drafts they show near the end of June. But I still don't watch it much during the offseason.

Summer league isn't my thing

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    But it sounds like you already have decided what you want to do.....you just need a gentle "push" to take the proverbial plunge off the cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    By the sounds of it, your decision has already been fairly made.
    Not really. I'm definitely strongly considering it, but I haven't yet decided, which is why I'm here. I would like to keep it for its own sake, but it just seems silly to spend $18/mo just for that. I wish it were like it used to be with Satellite and Cable where (if they even had it), you could get it by paying like $5-10 a month for a sports tier that included it. Metronet even has one of those, but for some reason NBATV isn't in it, it's just with the broader tier of channels I'm currently getting (and as it turns out, not watching).

If I could keep it around for $5 or so a month, I would without question. Maybe even 10.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I believe I made the mistake of trying to DVR one of our Orlando series games on NBATV that was also covered by FSI (thought I'd get a different flavor and listen to their people cover the game for something different), and when I got home to re-watch the game (I attended live), it was blacked out. So FSI gets the nod when this happens.
    Actually, it's a little strange: Games in Indianapolis are blacked out on NBATV, but if you're outside of Indy (Like me, in FW) the game is only shown on the national station (NBATV, TNT, ESPN, ABC).

But, I assume where you are the FSI feed would win out.

Personally, I'd dump it from the end of the first round until the end of October. That would save you May/June/July/August/Sept, $90. Buy a jersey.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

18.00 for NBA TV alone seems awfully steep.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Not really. I'm definitely strongly considering it, but I haven't yet decided, which is why I'm here. I would like to keep it for its own sake, but it just seems silly to spend $18/mo just for that. I wish it were like it used to be with Satellite and Cable where (if they even had it), you could get it by paying like $5-10 a month for a sports tier that included it. Metronet even has one of those, but for some reason NBATV isn't in it, it's just with the broader tier of channels I'm currently getting (and as it turns out, not watching).

If I could keep it around for $5 or so a month, I would without question. Maybe even 10.
    In that case, I'd probably scrap it. You'd miss out on some content, but I'm not sure that content is worth $18.00 when it's all said and done. The only way I could justify spending that much myself, personally, is if I was just a diehard avid NBA fan and actively sought out any game I could get my hands on.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    18.00 for NBA TV alone seems awfully steep.
    Yeah.

Basically it's "Is $18 a month for NBATV alone too much?" Yes.
    But "Do I like NBATV and would I prefer to have it?" Yes.

So... yeah.

I say drop it like a hot coal. The less incentive the NBA has to put their games on their network, that most likely doesn't come with basic cable/satellite, the better it is for fans.

Yeah.

Basically it's "Is $18 a month for NBATV alone too much?" Yes.
    But "Do I like NBATV and would I prefer to have it?" Yes.

So... yeah.
    I think what you're really asking, and I'm surprised no one here has picked up on it, is: "Can PD chip in a few bucks to my NBATV fund???".

I don't have it with my current cable package and can't say I miss it (I've had it before when I had Directv). I will say that I wish I could see the Dream Team show coming on there, though. That stinks.

Talk to the cable company. If you have to, bluff and tell them you could get a competitor's package with NBATV for cheaper for what your paying now. Or see if they can set it up as an Ala Carte. Directv did it for me in the past when I actually used to watch the Outdoors Channel.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca