Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Looks like me and my wife are going to be in Las Vegas July 16th thru the 21st. Anybody got any reccomendations/tips?

    We have gone once for our honeymoon, but didnt have a lot of money to spend. This time Im not concerned about money as much. Just want to have a blast.

  2. #2
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    I leave Saturday for one week in Vegas. This is my first trip ever there so I'm looking forward to having a good time.

    We have a show planned for every day we are there.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #3
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    We just went in February and stayed at The Stratosphere which is at the far north end of the strip. We liked the restaurant at the top, but truthfully, that's the only reason to stay there. Their casino isn't anything special and the location makes it pretty difficult to walk to the rest of the strip. I would much rather have stayed at a place near the center of the strip like Caesars or The Venetian. But, my wife won the trip so it's hard to complain. Shopping is pretty nice. The shops at the Venetian and Caesars are pretty high end, and you'll be supporting YOUR Indiana Pacers if you purchase anything there since they are owned by Simon. One of the strange thing I noticed was that people for some reason now bring kids to Vegas like it's Disney World. I couldn't for the life of me fathom people wedging their strollers between me and my view of the Bellagio fountains at 1:15 in the morning.

    We saw two shows while we were there, Frankie Moreno at the Stratospehere. Kind of a lounge singer act. I wasn't impressed. We also saw Blue Man Group which was EXTREMELY good.
    Last edited by travmil; 05-30-2012 at 10:56 PM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Go to as many shows as possible? They're all very good. We saw Ka and Phantom of the Opera, both excellent
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    I'd heard that a visit to the Cosmopolitan is a must. They have a chandelier bar that is like a bar/lounge that is inside a giant glass chandelier in the main lobby area. Along with a bunch of other visual goodies and hotties.

    Atleast this is where I am going when I get out to Vegas again.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  8. #6
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,528

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd heard that a visit to the Cosmopolitan is a must. They have a chandelier bar that is like a bar/lounge that is inside a giant glass chandelier in the main lobby area. Along with a bunch of other visual goodies and hotties.

    Atleast this is where I am going when I get out to Vegas again.
    Is that a hotel or club?

    We are staying at the Paris, I don't know if it is any good or not yet but I'll let you guys know.

    Also I did not know Simons owned those hotels, that's cool although don't tell this to BillS because it will only further his paranoia about the Las Vegas Pacers.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  9. #7
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    No the Simons own the shopping centers connected to the hotels.

  10. #8
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that a hotel or club?

    We are staying at the Paris, I don't know if it is any good or not yet but I'll let you guys know.

    Also I did not know Simons owned those hotels, that's cool although don't tell this to BillS because it will only further his paranoia about the Las Vegas Pacers.
    Its a hotel/casino. Attached to the new City Center. Only been open for a year now. I heard the whole chandelier thing is like something thats never been done before, and certainly only one of its kind in Vegas.

    http://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com
    Last edited by graphic-er; 05-31-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    I'm going in a couple weeks, been 4 years I think. Interested in seeing the City Center, and hopefully I'll make it downtown this trip.

    As always, the most important advice for anyone going for the first time:

    Take comfortable shoes.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going in a couple weeks, been 4 years I think. Interested in seeing the City Center, and hopefully I'll make it downtown this trip.

    As always, the most important advice for anyone going for the first time:

    Take comfortable shoes.
    This is our first time back in 3 years. They were building the city center when we were there. Lookiing forward to seeing that, and making it to downtown also.
    I think we might spend a day to go see the Grand Canyon

  15. #11
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    I would actually recommend not trying to walk the whole strip. People always do this and it ends up being a waste of a trip. I know I've done it once or twice. You can literally spend all night just walking everywhere. Its much more fun (and less painful!) to pick 2-3 casinos in close proximity and spend all your time there.

  16. #12
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Also now that the Sahara is closed for renovation there is a LOOOOOONG stretch between Circus Circus and the Stratosphere where there is NOTHING on either side of the strip.

  17. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that a hotel or club?

    We are staying at the Paris, I don't know if it is any good or not yet but I'll let you guys know.

    Also I did not know Simons owned those hotels, that's cool although don't tell this to BillS because it will only further his paranoia about the Las Vegas Pacers.
    The Cosmo is one of the newer High end Hotel and Casino.

    When you are at the Paris Hotel, try the Le Village Buffet....it's one of the better "not super expensive" buffets that has a french theme. It's really nice and my "last brunch buffet" before I fly out tradition.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like me and my wife are going to be in Las Vegas July 16th thru the 21st. Anybody got any reccomendations/tips?

    We have gone once for our honeymoon, but didnt have a lot of money to spend. This time Im not concerned about money as much. Just want to have a blast.
    My suggestions ( not in any particular order ):

    High End "Expensive" Buffets ( $35 to $40 a person ) - Wynn Buffet, Wicked Spoon ( at the Cosmopolitan Hotel )
    Moderate Priced Buffets - La Village Buffet ( Paris Hotel ), Mirage Buffet, Village Seafood Buffet ( if you are into Seafood at the Rio Hotel ), Carnival Buffet ( at Rio Hotel )
    Poker Room - Caesar's Palace, MGM Grand, Mirage, Bellagio
    Show - Ka ( at MGM ), Penn & Teller ( at Rio Hotel )

    I know that the "higher end / expensive Buffets" seem like A LOT for a buffet....but I'd suggest that you try AT LEAST one of them as they are a clear step above the regular buffet faire. If you want to try something different....the "Wicked Spoon" is a newer buffet that I went to last time that didn't disappoint. It's not wierd food or anything....the presentation and variety was really nice and different.

    Go to the Venetian and walk around along the inside Canal. There are nice stores and restaurants to see....but mainly it's to walk around along the canal. Also....go see the water show in front of the Bellagio...I think it runs once every 45 minutes or hour.

    I am sure that there are more....but I can't think of anything else for now.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-01-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. #15
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I leave Saturday for one week in Vegas. This is my first trip ever there so I'm looking forward to having a good time.

    We have a show planned for every day we are there.
    Make sure that you go see Ka . That is my favorite Cirque Du Soleil Vegas show...only because it actually has a story that you can follow...and it's really cool.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  20. #16
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going in a couple weeks, been 4 years I think. Interested in seeing the City Center, and hopefully I'll make it downtown this trip.

    As always, the most important advice for anyone going for the first time:

    Take comfortable shoes.
    City Center is nice....but IMHO....it's more of a REALLY high-end shopping mall. My wife LOVES to shop....but even she doesn't really shop there since everything there is SOOO EXPENSIVE.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would actually recommend not trying to walk the whole strip. People always do this and it ends up being a waste of a trip. I know I've done it once or twice. You can literally spend all night just walking everywhere. Its much more fun (and less painful!) to pick 2-3 casinos in close proximity and spend all your time there.
    Given that it's over 100+ degrees there now.....I wouldn't walk the length of the strip ( NY NY to the Wynn ) unless you want to get completely dehydrated, tired and lose a lot of water weight.

    I find that it's best to take the LV Monorail from one end of the strip to another...or take one halfway and then get out and walk. It's not super-expensive...but I'd rather spend a few bucks than get a mild case of sun-stroke.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  22. #18
    MVP kielbeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    869

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Peck I think you need to find a good hiding place, hide a pacers trinket there and then give the location to letstalkpacers and see if it is there when he goes back. This could become a PD tradition. kind of like a geocache.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:


  24. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Make sure that you go see Ka . That is my favorite Cirque Du Soleil Vegas show...only because it actually has a story that you can follow...and it's really cool.
    We are going to watch Ka. Last time we missed out but did go see Blue Man.

  25. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck I think you need to find a good hiding place, hide a pacers trinket there and then give the location to letstalkpacers and see if it is there when he goes back. This could become a PD tradition. kind of like a geocache.
    Like a Pacers poker chip

  26. #21
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are going to watch Ka. Last time we missed out but did go see Blue Man.
    Don't go to the MGM Buffet if you want to eat before....it sucks. There are many nice restaurants at the MGM....from the Coffee Shop that is halfway decent to higher end restaurants along the pricing of Mo's or Izzy's.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  27. #22
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Just got back from Vegas Friday. If anyone has any questions, I can tell you just about anything about the place after over 25 trips.

    Cable had some excellent suggestions. To dovetail onto some stuff he said, absolutely try a "high end" buffet. Yeah, it's pricier, but the reason I love them is that you get to sample a lot of stuff you may not come across on your own, or REALLY pay through the nose to try at a sit down restaurant. Frex, I had lamb risotto, spicy five cheese mac and cheese with jalapeno shrimp, a variety of gelatos and red velvet pancakes, all in one sitting. Try ordering that stuff individually at a sitdown restaurant and see what you pay. The thing about the high end buffets is they tend to put unique, gourmet spins on standard fare. It's worth experiencing at least once. I flip-flop each trip on which I consider number one between Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan and the Wynn buffet.

    I think the Bellagio fountains are a MUST see. Especially at night. And especially if you've seen Ocean's 11. I've gone on guy trips and actually had some of my guy friends get a little emotional at the beauty of it. You can't stand and chat during it. Catch a good, slower song and just absorb. I literally take time every single trip to see them.

    I also take time to check out the conservatory in Bellagio. It's made with all fresh flowers. Make sure you check out the blown glass flowers on the ceiling in the lobby as you walk to the conservatory.

    And I will also throw out there, there is no reason to step foot in Imperial Palace or Treasure Island. Boring casinos and no real attractions to see. And it's a ways down there, but if you get a chance, you must see the Wynn casino area. Really beautiful.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:


  29. #23
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,377

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    And I will also throw out there, there is no reason to step foot in Imperial Palace or Treasure Island. Boring casinos and no real attractions to see. And it's a ways down there, but if you get a chance, you must see the Wynn casino area. Really beautiful.
    Spot on about the Wynn Casino area. My first trip inside the Wynn was the first time I ever thought I just plain didn't belong in there. So high-end, felt like I should be wearing a 3 piece suit.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  30. #24
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cable had some excellent suggestions. To dovetail onto some stuff he said, absolutely try a "high end" buffet. Yeah, it's pricier, but the reason I love them is that you get to sample a lot of stuff you may not come across on your own, or REALLY pay through the nose to try at a sit down restaurant. Frex, I had lamb risotto, spicy five cheese mac and cheese with jalapeno shrimp, a variety of gelatos and red velvet pancakes, all in one sitting. Try ordering that stuff individually at a sitdown restaurant and see what you pay. The thing about the high end buffets is they tend to put unique, gourmet spins on standard fare. It's worth experiencing at least once. I flip-flop each trip on which I consider number one between Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan and the Wynn buffet.
    Just be prepared to pay $40 to $50 for a single person for the buffet. Again...before you say that it is WAY TOO MUCH.....just mark this off as a "I am in Vegas, I want to try something different that I will never try in Indy" bucket list item. These High-End Buffets are 10x better than the ones that you will experience in Indy. At the very least, you have a story that you can tell your friends that you had a $40 buffet . But seriously, I am a foodie and the type that likes to try different type of dining experiences....and whenever I go to Vegas.....going to one of these Buffets is on my "to do" lists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Bellagio fountains are a MUST see. Especially at night. And especially if you've seen Ocean's 11. I've gone on guy trips and actually had some of my guy friends get a little emotional at the beauty of it. You can't stand and chat during it. Catch a good, slower song and just absorb. I literally take time every single trip to see them.

    I also take time to check out the conservatory in Bellagio. It's made with all fresh flowers. Make sure you check out the blown glass flowers on the ceiling in the lobby as you walk to the conservatory.

    And I will also throw out there, there is no reason to step foot in Imperial Palace or Treasure Island. Boring casinos and no real attractions to see. And it's a ways down there, but if you get a chance, you must see the Wynn casino area. Really beautiful.
    Yeah....if you just want to go walk around and take a look at different things that you don't usually see....then going to the Bellagio, Wynn and Venetian won't disappoint.

    Also....if any of you have a Wife that loves chocolate...go here:

    http://www.bellagio.com/restaurants/jean-philippe.aspx

    http://www.jpchocolates.com/

    It's at the Bellagio. When you are walking off your dinner....go look for this place...it's behind the Conservatory at the Bellagio. It's a nice after-dinner dessert place to go get coffee and have some chocolates....it has great dessert menu and a famous Chocolate fountain display.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-07-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  31. #25
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Going to Las Vegas, any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spot on about the Wynn Casino area. My first trip inside the Wynn was the first time I ever thought I just plain didn't belong in there. So high-end, felt like I should be wearing a 3 piece suit.
    That's the thing about Vegas....unless you are going to one of those 5-star dinner restaurants.....you can wander in with shorts and they won't likely complain.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Similar Threads

  1. I need a name! Suggestions?
    By pwee31 in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 09:09 AM
  2. Suggestions?
    By LoneGranger33 in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
  3. Vegas notebook: How the big names fared in Vegas [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM
  4. Vegas Suggestions
    By dannyboy in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •