Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 128

Thread: Luck hits field to rave reviews

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Luck hits field to rave reviews

    I'm glad he is done with school and is finally able to be with the team. It's exciting seeing him out there. We have a bright future ahead with him.

    http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/col...o-rave-reviews

    Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Updated: Tuesday, 12 Jun 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
    Published : Tuesday, 12 Jun 2012, 5:33 PM EDT

    MICHAEL MAROT,AP Sports Writer

    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Andrew Luck couldn't wait to start his new job, and the Indianapolis Colts couldn't wait to get him back on the field.

    On Tuesday, both sides finally got their wish.

    After a 5˝-week absence from the Colts' offseason workouts, the No. 1 overall draft pick showed up in a red No. 12 jersey and started showing everyone what he'd learned while attending his final classes at Stanford.

    "I'm just trying to soak everything in, and I'm starting to have a good understanding of what's going on here," Luck said after Tuesday morning's light one-hour workout.

    Admittedly, he's still trying to master the playbook, get on the same page with his new teammates and figure out how to get around Indianapolis. But none of that mattered Tuesday as dozens of reporters, photographers and television cameras monitored each pass Luck threw.

    Vice president and general counsel Dan Emerson, who has been negotiating Luck's contract, watched the first half of a two-hour afternoon practice. Team owner Jim Irsay and two of his three daughters watched the second half of the afternoon session from a golf cart.

    What everyone saw was a nearly flawless performance.

    Luck connected on his first 12 throws in the morning team drill and only one of 16 passes hit the ground — a ball that hit rookie tight end Dwayne Allen in the chest and ricocheted to the ground.

    Coach Chuck Pagano noted that Luck didn't make a single mental mistake. Griff Whalen and Coby Fleener, who worked out with fellow alumnus Luck at Stanford over the past month, said Luck seemed as calm and in control as he was in college.

    "He's one of the greatest learners I've ever met and he's already up to speed," said Fleener, Indy's second-round draft pick in April.

    League rules prohibit rookies from attending team mini-camps until they finish classes with the exception of one three-day rookie camp, which ended May 6.

    Indy promised to do anything it could to help Luck — video conferences, conference calls, even using Irsay's private jet to ferry players around the country for individual workouts. The NFL nixed all of it until Luck finished his final two architectural design courses last Thursday.

    The resourceful Luck came up with a solution: Using his free time in the morning to hone his football skills, while blocking out the afternoons for classwork.

    It wasn't the way Luck wanted to start his pro career.

    "I'd wake up and have a serious lack of motivation to go to class, so I'd work out in the mornings, then eat lunch and go to class in the afternoon," Luck said. "I think I managed to learn the playbook a bit."

    What he needs now is repetition.

    In morning team drills, Luck hooked up repeatedly with veteran receiver Austin Collie and threw his final couple of passes to perennial Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne.

    The afternoon session focused primarily on individual work, and Luck overthrew both veterans three times, all on deep patterns.

    Indy is scheduled to hold another workout Wednesday afternoon in front of fans at Lucas Oil Stadium before wrapping up the mini-camp Thursday.

    It's already clear to Pagano and others around the team complex that Luck is everything they expected.

    "The guy's off the charts for football IQ," Pagano said. "He came in over the weekend and we had a little session Monday with the rookies, which league rules allow, and he hasn't missed a beat."

    Luck was dubbed the most NFL-ready quarterback since Manning before the 2011 draft. But instead of taking the money and jumping to the NFL, Luck went back for one more season at Stanford and had the Cardinal in the BCS title hunt until a November loss to Oregon.

    A month later, he finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting for the second straight year.

    The Colts became the front-runner for Luck's services when Manning missed the entire season after having neck surgery, and the Colts wound up a league-worst 2-14.

    Irsay cut ties with Manning on March 7, releasing the four-time league MVP rather than pay him a $28 million bonus, clearing the way for Luck's ballyhooed arrival.

    "I think I have to earn the face of the franchise stuff," he said. "I have to learn as much as I can to help these guys win games and get back to the playoffs."

    Luck plans to make one more trip to the West Coast, for this weekend's graduation ceremonies at Stanford. After that, he'll focus solely on football.

    "I have no obligations after mini-camp outside of football," he said. "So I'll focus on football and we'll have to get some work in after the OTAs (offseason team activities) end."

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    I think we are going to be just fine in the post-Manning era.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we are going to be just fine in the post-Manning era.
    Yeah, we will be just fine after five years of living in the cellar and getting high draft picks and if Luck doesn't get hurt playing behind our patched up line. I could see him playing only six or eight games this year and I hope I am wrong about all of this.... Just my opinion that we will be years getting back to being a winning team much less competing for championships.......

  6. #4
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, we will be just fine after five years of living in the cellar and getting high draft picks and if Luck doesn't get hurt playing behind our patched up line. I could see him playing only six or eight games this year and I hope I am wrong about all of this.... Just my opinion that we will be years getting back to being a winning team much less competing for championships.......

    1) We didn't win a playoff game with Manning until his sixth season. He threw 23 interceptions in 2001, a season in which we went 6-10. In 2002, we were blown out 41-0 by the Jets in the playoffs. Let's not forget that there were rough patches in the first few years of Manning's career. He didn't get *consistently* great until the 03 season. When Luck is struggling at the beginning of his career and you are calling him a bust, don't forget that Manning had plenty of struggles too.

    2) Five years is such a long time. The 49ers went 6-10 in 2010 and improved to 13-3 last year. Things can change overnight in the NFL. What if we strike gold in the draft again next year? What if we use our cap space next season to sign some guys that come here and really help us out? We play in a fairly weak division. Last year we had the opportunity to win several games at the beginning of the season but lost them because we had the worst QB play in the NFL. Luck as a rookie should be significantly better than the scrubs we threw out there last season. That alone will give us a chance to win more than the two games we won last season.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    It's exciting, for sure. How blessed the Colts seem to be. This was 1997 Spurs kind of luck.

  9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's exciting, for sure. How blessed the Colts seem to be.

    Agreed. It's a damn shame how the Manning era ended and it's certainly not the ending we envisioned. But to cut ties with a legend like Manning and then immediately have Luck fall into our laps is incredible. Think of all the other NFL teams that would kill to be in that position. We are so lucky that we just have the opportunity to see if this guy pans out for us.

    And it's not just Luck that I'm excited about. Our franchise seems like it has a new attitude and vibe to it. We now have a coach that actually looks like he will behave like an NFL coach and you know, do things like (gasp) yell at his players on the sidelines to fire them up.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-12-2012 at 10:16 PM.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  12. #7

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's exciting, for sure. How blessed the Colts seem to be. This was 1997 Spurs kind of luck.
    I hope that luck translates to 4 titles too...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,355
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Then we'd have to endure the future playoff losses and the "we should have won five" manifestos.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    I think we will surprise people this year. I saw a lot of the talking heads saying we would likely get the top pick in next year's draft too. I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we won 6-8 games next year. Obviously that's a tad optimistic, and our team still has a ton of holes, but I like our offseason. I am very interested to see how many two tight end sets we run with Fleener and Allen.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we will surprise people this year. I saw a lot of the talking heads saying we would likely get the top pick in next year's draft too. I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we won 6-8 games next year. Obviously that's a tad optimistic, and our team still has a ton of holes, but I like our offseason. I am very interested to see how many two tight end sets we run with Fleener and Allen.

    I agree. We were actually competitive in several of the games at the beginning of last season but lost because we had the worst QB play in the entire league with Collins and Painter. Luck as a rookie should be significantly better than either of them were last season and that right there will give us a chance to win more games.

    We have a very favorable home schedule. Green Bay is the only tough game at home. The road schedule is pretty tough though. I think 6 wins is feasible if we catch some breaks. Then draft wise again next season, sign some FA's with the cap space we will have, and watch Luck and the other young guys grow. I expect to be contending for the division in 2013. It's not like this is some scary division.

  19. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. We were actually competitive in several of the games at the beginning of last season but lost because we had the worst QB play in the entire league with Collins and Painter. Luck as a rookie should be significantly better than either of them were last season and that right there will give us a chance to win more games.

    We have a very favorable home schedule. Green Bay is the only tough game at home. The road schedule is pretty tough though. I think 6 wins is feasible if we catch some breaks. Then draft wise again next season, sign some FA's with the cap space we will have, and watch Luck and the other young guys grow. I expect to be contending for the division in 2013. It's not like this is some scary division.
    If this team wins six games next year the coach should be a runaway coach of the year and the new GM executive of the year. You have to win two before you can win six and you have to win one before you can win two.... Baby steps...........

  20. #12
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    I just hope Pagano can actually develop a QB. Coaching is hugely important, and I don't want Pagano to limit Luck. Let him throw the damn ball.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,059
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope Pagano can actually develop a QB. Coaching is hugely important, and I don't want Pagano to limit Luck. Let him throw the damn ball.
    Pagano will have some influence but I think the guys developing Luck will be Christensen and Arians, the same guy that helped develop a early Manning, but yeah Luck will be fine, before you know it he will be calling the majority of the plays at the line.
    Why so SERIOUS

  23. #14

    Default

    You have to have an argument that isn't severely flawed and you recognize the downside to before people will take you seriously...baby steps though...

  24. #15
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Please don't feed (or quote) the troll.

  25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please don't feed (or quote) the troll.
    Agreed, I wouldn't have to read these muted commments, but you guys continue to qoute him.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    I'll quote him if I want to. Does it really ruin your day to see that someone has quoted him? You are free to look past it once you see his name in the quoted box.

    In my 8 years at PD, I have never once blocked a single user. If I see something I don't want to read then I just skip over it. Now you are free to block whoever you want, but I am equally free to quote him and will not stop doing so simply because some view him as being a "troll".

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll quote him if I want to. Does it really ruin your day to see that someone has quoted him? You are free to look past it once you see his name in the quoted box.

    In my 8 years at PD, I have never once blocked a single user. If I see something I don't want to read then I just skip over it. Now you are free to block whoever you want, but I am equally free to quote him and will not stop doing so simply because some view him as being a "troll".

    They call me a troll because I say something they do not agree with. I disagree with you but I don't call you a troll. Part of this is caused because I read just about every post made here and I rarely bother to respond to people I agree with. I do respond when I think someone has said something silly or with no merit at all. This makes them think I am negative about everything. I'll bet I only respond to about one in a hundred posts. That is because I see merit in the 99.....

    JB

  31. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll quote him if I want to. Does it really ruin your day to see that someone has quoted him? You are free to look past it once you see his name in the quoted box.

    In my 8 years at PD, I have never once blocked a single user. If I see something I don't want to read then I just skip over it. Now you are free to block whoever you want, but I am equally free to quote him and will not stop doing so simply because some view him as being a "troll".
    It's very nice that you haven't had to block anyone in eight years, but some of us lack your patience and ability to skim over things and utilize the ignore function liberally when necessary. He is the only person I have seen that people have requested not to quote, obviously because a significant amount of people have the troll on ignore. Do you really have to quote him to respond to him?

  32. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,253

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    You guys are peeing up a rope. If someone wants to quote him, they're going to quote him, regardless of your feelings about it.

  33. #21
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are peeing up a rope. If someone wants to quote him, they're going to quote him, regardless of your feelings about it.
    Yes, and people are still going to make phantasmagoric trade scenarios that have absolutely zero chance of happening, but we can dream for a better world, can we not?

  34. #22
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,022

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's very nice that you haven't had to block anyone in eight years, but some of us lack your patience and ability to skim over things and utilize the ignore function liberally when necessary. He is the only person I have seen that people have requested not to quote, obviously because a significant amount of people have the troll on ignore. Do you really have to quote him to respond to him?

    Do I really have to not quote him when I respond to him simply because some posters are whining?

    Your opinion that he is annoying is no more important than me thinking he isn't. I'm not asking you to talk to him, but I myself have every right to. I'm abiding by normal message board etiquette, which is to quote a poster when I feel like responding to him. Like Kid Minneapolis said, people demanding that people not quote OlBlu is actually more annoying than anything OlBlu himself has said. Just because a couple of people find him annoying doesn't mean that the entire board has to ignore him and feel like they are walking on eggshells every time they feel like responding to one of his posts.

    Hicks and the moderators have run this board for 9 years, so I'm pretty sure they know what constitutes a troll. Yet OlBlu has not been banned, so clearly they don't think he has crossed into troll territory.

  35. #23
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do I really have to not quote him when I respond to him simply because some posters are whining?

    Your opinion that he is annoying is no more important than me thinking he isn't. I'm not asking you to talk to him, but I myself have every right to. I'm abiding by normal message board etiquette, which is to quote a poster when I feel like responding to him. Like Kid Minneapolis said, people demanding that people not quote OlBlu is actually more annoying than anything OlBlu himself has said. Just because a couple of people find him annoying doesn't mean that the entire board has to ignore him and feel like they are walking on eggshells every time they feel like responding to one of his posts.

    Hicks and the moderators have run this board for 9 years, so I'm pretty sure they know what constitutes a troll. Yet OlBlu has not been banned, so clearly they don't think he has crossed into troll territory.
    I'm not saying you can't quote him. You can do whatever you like, who am I to tell you to stop? My point is that there are a large number of people on this board who have the guy on ignore. His goal and aim is to rile people up, and he is very effective at doing so. Some of us don't want to read it. If you feel the need to quote him to respond, then go right ahead. All we are asking is that refrain as much as possible.

    OlBlu is a clever troll. He knows he's a troll, and the mods know he's a troll. But he balances the line between irritating and openly antogonizing well enough to not warrant a ban.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  37. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Luck hits field to rave reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying you can't quote him. You can do whatever you like, who am I to tell you to stop? My point is that there are a large number of people on this board who have the guy on ignore. His goal and aim is to rile people up, and he is very effective at doing so. Some of us don't want to read it. If you feel the need to quote him to respond, then go right ahead. All we are asking is that refrain as much as possible.

    OlBlu is a clever troll. He knows he's a troll, and the mods know he's a troll. But he balances the line between irritating and openly antogonizing well enough to not warrant a ban.
    I had a personal message from Hicks today and he said that I was NOT a troll or I would be banned. I am not a troll. I have strong opinions and I think I will be proven correct on most of the things I have said. This is an opinion forum isn't it? If your psyche is so fragile that you cannot handle me disagreeing with you, that is not my problem.......

  38. #25

    Default

    Yeahhh...the troll part has nothing to do with your opinion, it has to do with you looking at actual evidence and still saying, "I am going to be right"...when you are already wrong.
    Sorry that's trolling. Period.

Similar Threads

  1. Jag Nation reviews the Colt's draft
    By McClintic Sphere in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 08:53 PM
  2. bad luck hits the pacers again
    By ReggieMiller8325 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 03:36 PM
  3. Here is some reviews for DJ Paul Bunyon I found
    By BigMac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •