Page 6 of 178 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

billbradley

Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

Here's my hangup with trading Danny. He is still the best player on a team that was 5th in the league.

Pacers still have problems, and the DG can't dribble and struggles to create, but we would have to make really creative moves to replace what he is to this team.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wallace is opting out of 9.5 million.

Does that mean he wants more money or more years?

I don't think I would give him over 8.

EDIT: And I don't even know about that. Watching him last year he didn't seem like the same bruiser and I used to love his game.
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Must be the years, cause I don't see how he gets close to $9.5M. I'd give $6-$7M.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Here's my hangup with trading Danny. He is still the best player on a team that was 5th in the league.

Pacers still have problems, and the DG can't dribble and struggles to create, but we would have to make really creative moves to replace what he is to this team.
    Yeah, Granger isn't the problem, it's the point position. If Granger is traded, it better be for a well above average point guard.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just read that Gerald Wallace is opting out of his contract with the Nets.

Wild random thought: Trade Danny for lottery pick, then sign Wallace with the cap space that opens up.
    I'd rather draft a SG/SF and then use the extra cap space to make a hard run at Deron... if we don't get Deron, go for Dragic and another nice young player to grow with the core.

If you get Deron and lottery pick you take a step forward... if you get Dragic, other nice young FA, and lottery pick you take one step back (or break even if PG steps up on offense), and multiple steps forward in a couple years.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

A couple things from Hoopshype; http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Mike Wells: Pacers president Larry Bird and owner Herb Simon won't meet until next week now, according to sources. Twitter

---

But in the meantime, Indiana Pacers' assistant coach, Brian Shaw and Golden State Warriors assistant coach, Mike Malone, are two of the prime head coaching candidates on the market and they're just waiting. Before the Trail Blazers think about interviewing those candidates, they must ask the Warriors and Pacers for permission to speak with their coach, and as of now, that hasn't been done. Steve Kauffman represents Malone and Jerome Stanley reps Shaw and both have confirmed to CSNNW.com that the Trail Blazers have not called the Warriors or Pacers to seek permission.CSNNW.com
    ---

Before the start of Game 1 of the NBA Finals, Jimmy Kimmel’s show aired early to presumably compensate for scheduling purposes on ABC. During the show, there were a couple of very entertaining NBA segments, which you can check out below: Roy Hibbert and Jeremy Lin play Skype Scavenger Hunt: Kimmel invited Jeremy Lin and Roy Hibbert to play a game of Skype Scavenger Hunt, and the segment did not disappoint. Hibbert showed us that he will soon be married and also displayed his $3,000 dog named Nala, while Lin – showing no hustle to grab his items – showed off his $20 watch. Spoiler Alert: Hibbert won the intense matchup and received an amazing prize – a copy of Keeping up with the Kardashians, Season 3 on Blue-ray. SheridanHoops
    ---

Congrats to Roy on his coming marriage!
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-13-2012 at 10:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    A couple things from Hoopshype; http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Mike Wells: Pacers president Larry Bird and owner Herb Simon won't meet until next week now, according to sources. Twitter

But in the meantime, Indiana Pacers' assistant coach, Brian Shaw and Golden State Warriors assistant coach, Mike Malone, are two of the prime head coaching candidates on the market and they're just waiting. Before the Trail Blazers think about interviewing those candidates, they must ask the Warriors and Pacers for permission to speak with their coach, and as of now, that hasn't been done. Steve Kauffman represents Malone and Jerome Stanley reps Shaw and both have confirmed to CSNNW.com that the Trail Blazers have not called the Warriors or Pacers to seek permission.CSNNW.com

It would be nice to know who is going to make draft picks for the Pacers for sure.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

10. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    It would be nice to know who is going to make draft picks for the Pacers for sure.
    Everyone in the war-room will have their say and then Bird will make the pick. If we trade our 26th pick like we did last year, we won't be making any picks unless we get one back in trade. Torondo has our 2ed rounder this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just read that Gerald Wallace is opting out of his contract with the Nets.

Wild random thought: Trade Danny for lottery pick, then sign Wallace with the cap space that opens up.
    I've always liked Wallace. He plays great "D", rebs well, and is a tuff player.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I've always liked Wallace. He plays great "D", rebs well, and is a tuff player.
    He's not any good, Smash didn't like him!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Having Pritchard as the GM I wouldn't be surprised that he pulls a trade for multiple picks, he is the guy that screwed the Bulls by trading picks and getting Lamarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, I don't know but I expect the Pacers to try to rebuild for the future instead of the now, with what we have I don't see us moving pass Miami and even if we make it to the finals(big IF) I don't see us making it pass OKC.
    Your suggestion is to just "roll over and give up" by rebuilding?

I don't get the sense that Bird would do that given all that he's done to get us to this point. I think that Bird's goal from the beginning was to build this Team to be a perennial Playoff Team that can help build a strong fan base again. Going from "Beat the Heat" to "We should just rebuild cuz the Heat will have LeWade and Tag-Along for 2-4 more seasons" won't do that.

You're right....we may not get past the Thunder or the Heat....but IMHO, Bird's goal has always been to get the fans to return to the Fieldhouse and to keep them there by building a Team that can go as deep as they can in the Playoffs.

I agree with you that Pritchard is more inclined to part with Granger if the right deal came along.....but I don't get that he'd just trade him just for prospects.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-13-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

I'm not saying rebuilding, I'm saying replace the old Players with younger ones that could probably be in their prime when Roy/PG are in theirs, for example, Danny for EJ and West for Milsap, you get two players that are going to be with the team in the future and hit their primes at the same time, I hope that's what Bird/Pritchard are looking for and not another older player that won't be here in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Your suggestion is to just "roll over and give up" by rebuilding?

I don't get the sense that Bird would do that given all that he's done to get us to this point. I think that Bird's goal from the beginning was to build this Team to be a perennial Playoff Team that can help build a strong fan base again. Going from "Beat the Heat" to "We should just rebuild cuz the Heat will have LeWade and Tag-Along for 2-4 more seasons" won't do that.
    And it's smart. I think any time you have a team that you can expect to get to Conference Finals, you have to stick with it. Once you are there, anything can happen. An injury to the opponent during the playoffs, a few great games from someone, a hit midlevel signing, a great pick, an MIP year from some youngster.

Noone can realistically expect to build a title favorite. That's just very unlikely and takes a ton of luck.
    Look even at the Heat - they got big 3 and still saved ~15 mil for some role players; a year ago, that seemed like a guaranteed champion. But those role players mostly didn't pan out, some were just bad decisions, some got injured last year and declined.
    The realistic goal is to build a contender, a team that can legitimately make a deep run every year, top 6 or so in the league. We are there. We do have a couple holes, and we probably are 40/60 underdogs vs. the Bulls and the Heat. But if we use the cap this summer well, we can even the odds. That's a far greater chance to do than hit in draft.

IMO, the only times you break up a deep playoff team are when you are sure you are getting better. But that's usually going older, not younger. like the Mavs trading for JKidd, or the Heat for Shaq.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying rebuilding, I'm saying replace the old Players with younger ones that could probably be in their prime when Roy/PG are in theirs, for example, Danny for EJ and West for Milsap, you get two players that are going to be with the team in the future and hit their primes at the same time, I hope that's what Bird/Pritchard are looking for and not another older player that won't be here in a year or two.
    While I'd be very scared of EJ health, sure, I'd do it. But how? We won't get EJ and Milsap for Danny and West in a trade. They are arguably better, younger, and (at least Milsap) cheaper.
    What youngsters could we realistically get for Danny and West? It would have to be someone worse, or overpaid, or with question marks. We might end up with something like Thornton and Blatche.
    Last edited by ballism; 06-14-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    And it's smart. I think any time you have a team that you can expect to get to Conference Finals, you have to stick with it. Once you are there, anything can happen. An injury to the opponent during the playoffs, a few great games from someone, a hit midlevel signing, a great pick, an MIP year from some youngster.

Noone can realistically expect to build a title favorite. That's just very unlikely and takes a ton of luck.
    Look even at the Heat - they got big 3 and still saved ~15 mil for some role players; a year ago, that seemed like a guaranteed champion. But those role players mostly didn't pan out, some were just bad decisions, some got injured last year and declined.
    The realistic goal is to build a contender, a team that can legitimately make a deep run every year, top 6 or so in the league. We are there. We do have a couple holes, and we probably are 40/60 underdogs vs. the Bulls and the Heat. But if we use the cap this summer well, we can even the odds. That's a far greater chance to do than hit in draft.

IMO, the only times you break up a deep playoff team are when you are sure you are getting better. But that's usually going older, not younger. like the Mavs trading for JKidd, or the Heat for Shaq.

If anyone expects this team "core" to make it to the conference finals they are mistaken IMO we dont have the talent or team for that.

we are at least 80/20 underdogs vs a healthy Chicago and a healthy Heat and vs a OKC we are at least a 90% underdog and that is probably just being nice.

That is Miami as currently constructed they can still add to their bench every summer with a solid vet like a Ray Allen.

I think people are really overrating our team we need a lot to be true "contenders"

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Every team behind us and ahead of us, probably even the champs, will be looking to improve next season. So sitting still isn't really an option.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

"Sitting still" is not the discussion. We are quite clearly going to be active and use the cap.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Before the start of Game 1 of the NBA Finals, Jimmy Kimmel’s show aired early to presumably compensate for scheduling purposes on ABC. During the show, there were a couple of very entertaining NBA segments, which you can check out below: Roy Hibbert and Jeremy Lin play Skype Scavenger Hunt: Kimmel invited Jeremy Lin and Roy Hibbert to play a game of Skype Scavenger Hunt, and the segment did not disappoint. Hibbert showed us that he will soon be married and also displayed his $3,000 dog named Nala, while Lin – showing no hustle to grab his items – showed off his $20 watch. Spoiler Alert: Hibbert won the intense matchup and received an amazing prize – a copy of Keeping up with the Kardashians, Season 3 on Blue-ray. SheridanHoops
    ---

Congrats to Roy on his coming marriage!
    That was a funny segment. I'm guessing that Lin's watch was way more than $20....but I love that Roy's personality really shines on TV....he really seems genuine to me.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

This makes way more sense than your initial post.....what you suggest is retooling...not rebuilding.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This is my feeling.....just look at what happened in this Playoff. One torn ACL and the Bulls were screwed....an abdominal Strain and Bosh was taken down for a Playoff Series.

Do what the Hawks did a few years ago....build a young but perennial Playoff Team. Step 1 was to get to the Playoffs....done....Step 2 was build on that momentum and get to the 2nd round of the Playoffs...done....Step 3 ( where we are now ) is to evaluate what works and what doesn't, make sure that we continue to build on the success that we had and retool ( as vnzla81 suggests ) to help fill in the holes that we have in the hopes that it becomes a given that we will be a Top 4 Team in the East so that we have a legit chance at getting to the ECF.

From there.....if the Team is built the right way....as you said..anything could happen.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

"Sitting still" is not the discussion. We are quite clearly going to be active and use the cap.
    I agree....again .

I am guessing that Bird and KP sees some obvious weaknesses in our roster....and will look to address those weaknesses.

Sadly I think there are going to be a lot of dissapointed people come opening night when our roster looks very similar to the one that ended the season.

Not saying there won't be changes, free agency may do that for us, but I feel confident that those of you that are wanting to trade away our forwards are going to have a long boring summer.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Sadly I think there are going to be a lot of dissapointed people come opening night when our roster looks very similar to the one that ended the season.

Not saying there won't be changes, free agency may do that for us, but I feel confident that those of you that are wanting to trade away our forwards are going to have a long boring summer.
    Agree 100%. Cant see Danny going and am yet to see a possible scenario that makes sense.

However......

We are scouting a lot of SF types.....

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...til-next-week/

The Pacers will hold their second draft workouts at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Thursday.

–Will Barton (Memphis)

–Kent Bazemore (Old Dominion)

–Jae Crowder (Marquette)

–Darius Miller (Kentucky)

–Khris Middleton (Texas A&M)

–Jeffery Taylor (Vanderbilt)
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting there all pretty much 2nd round picks those dudes we are working out

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Interesting there all pretty much 2nd round picks those dudes we are working out
    Well, Taylor seems to be a consensus 1st rounder, and most of the rest should be early 2nd rounders, so it's not a huge reach.

Of the group, I'm a big fan of Crowder. I know he didn't measure well at the combine, but he's shown that he's a pretty good player despite his limitations. Reminds me of Artest actually. It's amazing that some mocks have him so low in the 2nd, and nbadraft.net even has him going undrafted.

Would have liked to seen Quincy Miller with this group. But we're supposed to work out Evan Fournier too, who's not listed with this bunch, so I guess we're going to have another bunch of swingmen in at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Every team behind us and ahead of us, probably even the champs, will be looking to improve next season. So sitting still isn't really an option.
    A team would have to work at it to sit still as you're putting it. Every team gets a pair of drat picks every year and unless they have traded them they will be making picks and thus not sitting still. Can anyone ever remember a team coming back the next year with all the same players from the year before?