Page 5 of 178 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

He averaged 6.6 points This year and wasn't ball dominant at all...he is a helluva a passer

Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

[QUOTE=Will Galen;1458103]
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The conversation was about who would have the last word on basketball trades, Bird or Pritchard. We know how the NBA works, the GM or president makes the basketball decisions and the owner rubber stamps it before it goes to the league.

As for Herb's statement 'he'd be more involved in the team,' if you think he meant he would be doing the draft and making trades, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you real cheap.

My comment was neither has the last word but Herb does. You think Cuban rubber stamps his GM's decisions? I'm sure he's not the only owner that doesn't rubber stamp their GM's decisions. I have no doubts there has been owners who scuttled deals or trades b/c they didn't like them.

No, I don't think Herb makes trades or tells Bird who to draft, but I believe he lays out specific things he wants and is more vigilant in making sure they are adhered to than in the past. Herb says he's not going into LT Land, and Bird abides. That meant for a # of years the Pacers didn't use their MLE. If you think otherwise, I have some ocean front property in Brown County to sell you.

Not that we'll ever know, but it would be interesting to know what deals or possible deals Herb has turned thumbs down on.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Secretary of Chants‏@Pacers_Chants

ESPN's Chad Ford on what IND might do in the upcoming draft: "I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Danny Granger for a very high pick."

Retweeted by Hicks Pacers Digest
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post

ESPN's Chad Ford on what IND might do in the upcoming draft: "I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Danny Granger for a very high pick."

I would love to know what he considers "very high." The most obvious match would be the Warriors at #7. They seem to want to win now and they have a talented team on paper, save for the hole at SF. I don't really know who we would target at pick #7, but it makes the most sense. That being said, I don't think we will see it happen.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I would love to know what he considers "very high." The most obvious match would be the Warriors at #7. They seem to want to win now and they have a talented team on paper, save for the hole at SF. I don't really know who we would target at pick #7, but it makes the most sense. That being said, I don't think we will see it happen.
    I don't see it happening since it would be a step backward. I just don't see Granger being moved unless it was to get back a comparable Player on the same level as he is. We are in "Win Now" mode.....unless #7 is NBA ready and can contribute right away.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

Too bad Chad Ford can't read Larry's mind......

Chad Ford is a "Danny Granger hater"....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I would also not be surprised at all....... Danny will never be worth more and he is probably worth less than he was two years ago......

Sports Logo

I would be curious as to why Ford thinks that the Pacers do that.

Ignoring the "why" in this scenario....the problem would be salary and how to make things match. The Warriors are close to the Salary Cap already....so some salary would have to be sent back.

I am guessing that it would be a given that Dorell Wright be included in this deal....since he's the only SF on their roster that could help us....but beyond that...the Warriors roster doesn't really have any other assets that the Warriors could part with ( Curry and Klay Thompson aren't going anywhere ) to make a deal work. Biedrins and RJeff have the Salary to make up the difference...but any inclusion in the deal would be a no-go for the Pacers.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Ignoring the "why" in this scenario....the problem would be salary and how to make things match. The Warriors are close to the Salary Cap already....so some salary would have to be sent back.

I am guessing that it would be a given that Dorell Wright be included in this deal....since he's the only SF on their roster that could help us....but beyond that...the Warriors roster doesn't really have any other assets that the Warriors could part with ( Curry and Klay Thompson aren't going anywhere ) to make a deal work. Biedrins and RJeff have the Salary to make up the difference...but any inclusion in the deal would be a no-go for the Pacers.
    On top of that, who would they target at 7? Lillard? Barnes? Hope something goes wrong and Beal falls?

Banned

Having Pritchard as the GM I wouldn't be surprised that he pulls a trade for multiple picks, he is the guy that screwed the Bulls by trading picks and getting Lamarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, I don't know but I expect the Pacers to try to rebuild for the future instead of the now, with what we have I don't see us moving pass Miami and even if we make it to the finals(big IF) I don't see us making it pass OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Too bad Chad Ford can't read Larry's mind......

Chad Ford is a "Danny Granger hater"....
    I'm not going to take your bait with the second part, but the first part of your post brings something to mind. I think that Chad Ford has a good relationship with David Morway--reading his comments over the years praising the Pacers when others were bashing them 2-3 years ago for their offseason moves, and his constant references to Morway being an "up and coming" GM even 3 years ago makes me think Morway was the one feeding Ford information. Stay tuned there to see if Ford continues to paint the Pacers' moves with a favorable brush.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not going to take your bait with the second part, but the first part of your post brings something to mind. I think that Chad Ford has a good relationship with David Morway--reading his comments over the years praising the Pacers when others were bashing them 2-3 years ago for their offseason moves, and his constant references to Morway being an "up and coming" GM even 3 years ago makes me think Morway was the one feeding Ford information. Stay tuned there to see if Ford continues to paint the Pacers' moves with a favorable brush.
    I do remember Ford repeatedly using the drafting "singles and doubles instead of home runs" analogy and I'm pretty sure I remember Morway say the same thing in an interview.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    On top of that, who would they target at 7? Lillard? Barnes? Hope something goes wrong and Beal falls?
    the 7th and the 26th for number 2?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

I can't see the Warriors as the partner the Pacers would want in this type of deal. If the Pacers are going to deal Granger, IMO it's to try to make their roster more cap efficient in the future. They take a step back now to avoid the extension worries in 2 years and pick up talented rookie contracts in the process.

For that, I think they would want to go to Toronto at 8. The Raptors have enough cap space for a player like Granger, and they want a player like him to help market the team. From them the Pacers could just trade for the pick, or if the Raptors really wanted to make a splash the Pacers could agree to take on Calderon's contract if the Raptors throw in Davis as well. That would give the Raptors Granger and still give them enough money to make a splash in free agency as well which is their stated intention.

Why would the Pacers do that? They take a step backward in talent next season. But they have the #8 pick now, an extra point guard, and a decent 3rd big. If they then make another rumored deal of Collison+26 for #10, the Pacers add two lottery picks to their team and still have 10 million to spend before re-signing Hibbert and Hill. Depending on what they did with those two picks, they likely add a SG or a SF and put George at the other spot. And then after next season, the Pacers have options in free agency again as up to 30 million could fall off their books (West+Calderon+Hansbrough).

So one possible next year's roster looks like this:

Calderon/Hill/Lilliard
    FA/Waiters/Hill
    George/Jones
    West/Hansbrough/Davis
    Hibbert/Davis

A great team next year? No. But it's still good with considerable upside, and it has a huge amount of flexibility for future years. Do I think the Pacers need to go this route? No. But it's a solid route to go that continues to give the Pacers freedom to make moves.

Obviously they could just trade Granger for the pick as well, which would potentially give the Pacers a huge amount of cap space this year. It's still a decent premise (add a good cheap player while potentially adding a quality player with the cap space that Granger was eating up) but I'm not sure who the Pacers would actually acquire with that space, so it would definitely be risky.

I would hate to trade Granger after what he went through on the Pacers, but as a purely business move it might make sense.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    the 7th and the 26th for number 2?
    To grab who, thing is the talent that we get at 7 would probably be comparable to whoever we would take at 2, I would rather keep 7 and 26 than move up to 2.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Also with Bird coming back I am in the boat that Danny will not be traded.
    Why so SERIOUS

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

As much as Danny has not lived up to our expectation, I'm not sure there would be anyone at #8 thatd be worth trading Granger for. I would think about it since you are getting rid of his contract and really freeing up some cap room. Waiters doesnt really excite me at 8 either. I'd try and get a player with star potential...would rather take Rivers, PJ3 there or try and trade up still
    Murph

Mood

Wasn't Ford one the ppl pushing DG for the #3 to get Favors rumor a couple years ago? Turned out Thorn floated the rumor out there, but the teams didn't even discuss a possible trade.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Just read that Gerald Wallace is opting out of his contract with the Nets.

Wild random thought: Trade Danny for lottery pick, then sign Wallace with the cap space that opens up.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Wild random thought: Trade Danny for lottery pick, then sign Wallace with the cap space that opens up.
    Depends on for how long the contract was. Wallace kind of reminds me of Sanders, the ex-Colts safety. Aggressive player, but a playing style that definitely wears the tread on his tires faster than a player like Granger. I'd be surprised to see him perform at his current levels much longer than 2-3 more years.

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Gerald Wallace would compliment the starting lineup perfectly, IMO. He is a savvy player who isn't going to settle for jump shots, and he can have simply abusive defense at times. At other times, it's just solid.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I would say yes to the Gerald Wallace of a couple years ago, but current version not so sure. I also wouldnt give up Danny for anything but the #1 pick (not happening, I know) but Davis is the only player I see in the draft that's as close to a "can't miss" as you can have

I doubt Granger gets traded unless its a high pick AND a solid NBA starter. To move Granger for a pick like 4 or lower is a backward step. What player could we draft that would come in as a rookie and have a better year than Granger. If Granger had a true #1 beside him we would have love him. Its like some think Grnager took a step back this year, but its all how you look at it. Some would say Granger's best year was when he scored almost 25 a game in the OBIE days, others might say his overall play this year (rebounding, passing, defense) was better than it's ever been and this was his best year.

If im Bird, and not to be arrogant but on this topic I feel we think I like, I don't trade Granger unless its either part of a bigger package that nets a player better than Danny or its a # 1-3 pick in the draft and a very solid starter or prospect

If it appears that D Will is leaving Brooklyn, and somehow both Simon and D Will could be convinced it's a good move, then I could see a package of Granger and DC , maybe TY or picks, in sign and trade, or for Rondo

Just not Granger for a #7 and a player with less talent or upside. Granger, for all his faults, is still really our only player that gets respect from the opposing players and coaches. You have to game plan for him. He is a legit threat to go for 20 a night , a bad game of like 12 points and a good one of 35.
    Sittin on top of the world!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Wallace is opting out of 9.5 million.

Does that mean he wants more money or more years?

I don't think I would give him over 8.

EDIT: And I don't even know about that. Watching him last year he didn't seem like the same bruiser and I used to love his game.
    Last edited by billbradley; 06-13-2012 at 09:32 PM.

I want no part of Gerald Wallace and his deteriorating skill set.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

He's turning down $10M. Would another team even give him close to that? I'd love to sign him, have been a fan for awhile. Love guys that play D.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!