Page 37 of 178 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

The thing about Darren is that he would be the perfect backup point guard for this team if/when they become contenders... 19 points in the fourth quarter of game five vs Orlando as a backup. How often do you see that?

Which adds another angle to this; he has trade value and he didn't really like coming off the bench. If we plan on re-signing Hill and going after a point guard who can lead the floor, then where does Collison fall in the pecking order? If we plan on getting OJ Mayo or Brandon Roy, where do we find enough time for Hill if DC is going to be getting 15-20 minutes off the bench backing up the point guard spot for said point guard?

Interesting to see what we will do.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...e-agency-looms
    Mike Wells

Point guard Darren Collison, who lost his starting job to Hill because of an injury at the end of the regular season, told the front office during his exit interview that he wants to return next season.

"I'd love to have him back. Is it possible? I think so," Pritchard said. "At some point in time there might have to be changes made, but that's not our goal. He came up and told us he wants to be back."

I'm one of the few PDers that has faith in Darren Collison going forward, but if we can't get some of the bigger names out there - and it doesn't look like we will - I think he'll be a big factor in whether we get better or not as a team. I know some of you were turned off by his "I will be a starter again in this league" attitude, but knowing that he wants to come back to Indy suggests to me that he'll be working hard this offseason to accomplish that goal.
    I'm fine with him as the backup. I just thought he couldn't remain happy in that role, so I've been looking for ways to trade him. If he can live with backing Hill up, then great. He's better in less minutes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You truly believe Walsh is going to ok the spending of the money for Nash? Walsh is there b/c Simon trusts Walsh to keep the reins held tight on spending money.
    I'm in agreement with everything you said. Simon doesn't want management to do anything that might mean the paying of the luxury tax later down the road though.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-30-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    I feel this is the main thing. Only a couple of free-agents (not even a handful) were willing to come to Indy. Even in our heyday during the 90's, when we were a basically a lock for ECF every year, we couldn't attract big-name free agents to come here. There were a few in Nash's scenario that went to worst teams.
    In the 90's the Pacers had no way to pay a "big-name free agent". The team had one of the highest payrolls in the league and NO CAP ROOM! It had nothing to do with location at all.

im glad DC wants to come back

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    You truly believe Walsh is going to ok the spending of the money for Nash? Walsh is there b/c Simon trusts Walsh to keep the reins held tight on spending money.
    I think Nash is the FA most likely to bring sellouts to BLF, by far. If there's a player we'd get to the lux tax line for, it's Nash and not Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think Nash is the FA most likely to bring sellouts to BLF, by far. If there's a player we'd get to the lux tax line for, it's Nash and not Williams.
    I'm pretty sure Eric Gordon would

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I know some of you were turned off by his "I will be a starter again in this league" attitude, but knowing that he wants to come back to Indy suggests to me that he'll be working hard this offseason to accomplish that goal.
    Hear, hear. I don't want anyone on our team who is satisfied playing a backup role. I want those guys who want to be the best and are willing to put forth the effort to become the best, and I firmly believe DC is that type of player.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brinocerous For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brinocerous View Post
    On the other side of this coin, when have we as fans had any sort of reliable info regarding who our front office is working on? We normally don't know diddly until after a move is made.
    Back a few years the Pacers were interested in IU's Randy Wittman in the draft, and everyone knew it. Washington then traded in front of us to get him. Since then Walsh's policy is not to leak who the Pacers are interested in, and it's a lesson Bird took to heart.

Teams now try all kinds of misdirection knowing other teams will take advantage if they know who you want. Having a front office that doesn't leak is an advantage.

When you read something that is true it's because one team is leaking on purpose. For instance Denver leaked like a sieve when they were trying to get the best deal for Melo.

Fans of course want more information, but unless it's in the teams interest, what they get is just generalities or downright lies. As Pacer fans we should be happy our front office isn't full of leaks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If we don't go after Nash hard tomorrow, I'm going to be pissed beyond belief.

If we're going to make a serious push for a title, the time is now. We've waited long enough and the iron is never going to be hotter.
    I agree, and I think Bird did too.

We will no doubt inquire about him, but I think we are now working on Simons 3 year plan. So he's the one you should get mad at.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm fine with him as the backup. I just thought he couldn't remain happy in that role, so I've been looking for ways to trade him. If he can live with backing Hill up, then great. He's better in less minutes.
    I think he'll eventually be the starter again. The offensive system we currently employ isn't point guard friendly, but Vogel will have a chance to change that in his first real offseason as head coach. It would be hard to argue that this team underachieved with the record it accumulated during the regular season, but I think a case could be made that certain players, DC among them, weren't utilized to the full extent of their abilities. Obviously, I'm not arguing that we build our offense around Collison, but the adjustments we make could play more to his strengths. We'll see how it goes.

PacerDude

I think we have to give another chance with the hill collicon duo at pg... either save the money for trades later in the season, or wait and spend it on the guys we have if they get better

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Unless Vogel's an idiot he would

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Right now assuming they resign Hibbert and Hill, give Johnson a contract and pick up Stephenson's option the Pacers will have 12 players under contract. They will need to add a 3rd point guard be it Price or someone else which makes 13 and will not want to go into the season with more than 14 players under contract so they have flexibility to add someone if needed.

That means they can probably not sign more than one other player in free agency including free agents that were here last year and any other roster changes will have to come through a trade.

Why pick up a 3rd PG if you are keeping Stephenson? Why spend the money? Either Stephenson can be the 3rd PG or cut him and get a 3rd PG.

Banned

Collison as our starter again?

Banned

"Continuity moving forward with good teams is real important," Pritchard said. "You want to keep the same guys because for whatever reason they learn each other better. You look at the elite teams who have had success, they stay together with small changes.

"This team isn't about blowing it up and starting it new. We have to keep the same pieces in place and we have to keep growing."

The Pacers finished with the fifth best record in the league and advanced to the second round of the playoffs last season.
    I hate this kind of thinking, you keep teams together when you have number one options in your team already(Kobe,Duncan,Shaq,Lebron,etc), it looks like we are not doing s*** this year either

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...e-agency-looms

Pacers aim to lock up Roy Hibbert, George Hill as free agency looms

Written by Mike Wells

Indiana Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard kept the details vague but the team plans to be aggressive with free-agent center Roy Hibbert. Come Sunday morning at 12:01 a.m., the start of the NBA free agency period, the Pacers will be on Hibbert's doorstep making their pitch to re-sign the free agent center.

"We'll absolutely be there," Pritchard said.

The Pacers will also be meeting with free agent guard George Hill once he returns from vacation.

The team's free agency strategy is simple. Re-sign Hibbert and Hill so they can keep their starting unit together, then add pieces to their bench.

"Continuity moving forward with good teams is real important," Pritchard said. "You want to keep the same guys because for whatever reason they learn each other better. You look at the elite teams who have had success, they stay together with small changes.

"This team isn't about blowing it up and starting it new. We have to keep the same pieces in place and we have to keep growing."

The Pacers finished with the fifth best record in the league and advanced to the second round of the playoffs last season.
    Teams can only agree to contracts and trades during the moratorium period from Sunday through July 10. Starting July 11, deals can be signed.

Hibbert and Hill are both restricted free agents, which means the Pacers can match any offer made to them. Teams have three days to match offers made to restricted free agents. The Pacers will likely match offers made to Hibbert and Hill.

Both players have said in the past that they want to re-sign with the Pacers.

Pacers owner Herb Simon told Pritchard and president Donnie Walsh that he is willing to spend money in order to improve the team.

The Pacers will have about $10 million in salary cap space available without it impacting their ability to re-sign Hill and Hibbert.

Point guard Darren Collison, who lost his starting job to Hill because of an injury at the end of the regular season, told the front office during his exit interview that he wants to return next season.

"I'd love to have him back. Is it possible? I think so," Pritchard said. "At some point in time there might have to be changes made, but that's not our goal. He came up and told us he wants to be back."

Center Kyrylo Fesenko is open to re-signing with the Pacers. He only played in three games after being acquired late in the season.

Pritchard plans to work the phones in an attempt to add another big man and scorer on the wing. Guards Brandon Roy and O.J. Mayo are two wings players the Pacers plan to pursue. Jamal Crawford could also be a possibility.
    Roy, a former All Star, retired last season because of knee problems but he's attempting a comeback. He and Pritchard were together in Portland.

Mayo became an unrestricted free agent Friday when the Memphis Grizzlies did not tender a qualifying offer to him. Former Pacers president Larry Bird tried on several occasions to trade for Mayo in the past.

Crawford signed with Portland instead of the Pacers last season.

The Pacers are also expected to contact point guard Deron Williams' agent, but the top free agent on the market is expected to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets or go to Dallas. Future Hall of Fame point guard Steve Nash also reportedly has a small list of teams he wants to sign with; however the Pacers aren't one of them.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Not sure if I agree that Nash would be head and shoulders above Deron in draw, but I agree with the principle idea here. If Simon is motivated by money and not success, then he would be MORE interested in dipping into the luxury tax to sign Nash. The Pacers would sell a hell of a lot more tickets with Nash on the roster than without.

http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/indiana_pacers

Roy Hibbert
    : Y'all still mad about the draft last night.... Well get over it. Miles is a good player y'all will see. yesterday

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Something that just dawned after reading a tweet by Wells saying that we want a 3rd center in free agency is kind of making me feel uneasy... I feel as if maybe the Pacers plan on keeping Tyler Hansbrough as the backup 4, who was by far the worst player for us in the playoffs this year, and a huge disappointment.

If we want a good bench, we need another good scoring big man. Tyler is not going to be that guy, and we know that Plumlee isn't going to be that guy.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

The thing about that though is we're not the only team that's going to be together for a while. The parts that matter of the Heat will still be together next year so with that logic and the fact that they already beat us, what makes them think that our one more year together will be any more significant than other teams ahead of us who keep their core intact? I'm really kind of getting upset with our nonchalant attitude towards our future, I said it in the draft thread and i'll say it hear again...complacency will catch up with us.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

I really think that the drafting of Miles Plumlee has killed the good vibes towards our front office... The drafting of him has sent us a terrible message.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I really think that the drafting of Miles Plumlee has killed the good vibes towards our front office... The drafting of him has sent us a terrible message.
    I'm expecting to be even more dissappointed in this free agency period, no Nash, no Dwill, I think we are going to sign one of two role players and call it a day.

Banned

@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources: Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola in trade talks. Linkage: http://t.co/wObJb5Or

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    The thing about that though is we're not the only team that's going to be together for a while. The parts that matter of the Heat will still be together next year so with that logic and the fact that they already beat us, what makes them think that our one more year together will be any more significant than other teams ahead of us who keep their core intact? I'm really kind of getting upset with our nonchalant attitude towards our future, I said it in the draft thread and i'll say it hear again...complacency will catch up with us.
    Heat will have to trade one of the big three eventually (like 2 years or so), or they are going to be in super luxury tax hell as all three of those contracts escalate... OKC will have to do the same, hard to imagine they can keep Durrant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka (obviously one the last two would be out).

New CBA makes it hard/impossible to have three max contracts (or 2 max and 2-3 10-12 mil). Will be more beneficial to build a team, instead of rely on 3-4 players and fill out the rest with min/draft scale/exception money.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears