Page 158 of 178 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4446

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Wolves are trying to show Love that they will do whatever it takes to make the team better as he requested. It looks like they are cutting their losses and moving on to get better quality players to play with Love. So far it seems to be working.
    indeed, that seems to be one of the main reasons. but Love is locked up for 3 more years.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    IMO, noone on a 4 mil 1 year deal is horrible enough to give up a #1 just to get rid of him. Unless there are locker room issues we don't know about. It seems cheap and short sighted.
    They also gave up two #2s to get rid of Brad Miller's 1 mil.
    When you need the space, the other team has all the leverage. Memphis just paid a 2nd rounder to dump Jeremy Pargo's $1m salary for example.

In the Wolves' case, they dumped Miller to get enough space to make Batum an offer (amusingly, their first offer was deemed illegal by the league due to lack of cap space), and then they dumped Johnson to give AK a bigger offer.

But of course as you say if they hadn't picked up Johnson's option they wouldn't be in this position in the first place. Alternatively, if they had dumped Johnson straight away they could have saved the 2 second rounders in the Brad Miller deal. Miller is going to get waived in any case.

indeed, that seems to be one of the main reasons. but Love is locked up for 3 more years.
    Hasn't stopped Love from publicly challenging the Wolves FO though. If I'm a TWolves fan, I'd be very very afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Hasn't stopped Love from publicly challenging the Wolves FO though. If I'm a TWolves fan, I'd be very very afraid.
    he's going to be there for 3 years anyway (how stupid does it look now that they didn't want to give him a 5 year deal with no options).

they ought to be looking long term and building a team that will win 2-3-4 years from now. instead of now.
    nothing wrong with winning now, but wasting assets for it seems shortsighted.
    they should be looking to get someone a few years younger next year or in 2014. Iguodala. Maybe an offer to Harden.

On the flip side, they can still make this right in 2014, once AK expires. Luol Deng, Thabo Sefolosha, Gordon Hayward and of course both of our guys.
    I'm starting to get scared of max Paul George offer from the Wolves, btw; they'll be desperate.......
    But they could've done that anyway, and kept the picks. While having flexibility next year too.

When you need the space, the other team has all the leverage. Memphis just paid a 2nd rounder to dump Jeremy Pargo's $1m salary for example.

In the Wolves' case, they dumped Miller to get enough space to make Batum an offer (amusingly, their first offer was deemed illegal by the league due to lack of cap space), and then they dumped Johnson to give AK a bigger offer.

But of course as you say if they hadn't picked up Johnson's option they wouldn't be in this position in the first place. Alternatively, if they had dumped Johnson straight away they could have saved the 2 second rounders in the Brad Miller deal. Miller is going to get waived in any case.
    alternatively, they could've passed on Brandon Roy. I get the allure of Roy, but if it causes you to frantically bleed picks because you aren't able to get your main targets anymore (Batum, then AK).... maybe Roy is not such a low risk - high reward move at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I think Wolves are trying to show Love that they will do whatever it takes to make the team better as he requested. It looks like they are cutting their losses and moving on to get better quality players to play with Love. So far it seems to be working.
    i agree. The Wolves have made a change in GM philosophy though. At least it looks that way to me. In the past, they seemed to be like a guy playing a fantasy league, it was all about collecting assets. Getting involved in 3rd party deals to get the extra 'free' player or draft pick. They looked like a team run by a guy that writes for 'Wolves Digest'. But now they've stopped trying to look good on paper and started trying to look good on the court. Actually trying to make a team that can win games. Good to see for their fans.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    i agree. The Wolves have made a change in GM philosophy though. At least it looks that way to me. In the past, they seemed to be like a guy playing a fantasy league, it was all about collecting assets. Getting involved in 3rd party deals to get the extra 'free' player or draft pick. They looked like a team run by a guy that writes for 'Wolves Digest'. But now they've stopped trying to look good on paper and started trying to look good on the court. Actually trying to make a team that can win games. Good to see for their fans.
    i think it's just time --- "assets", in particular Anthony Randolph/Beasley types, don't make much sense for them anymore. They had 4 big 'hits' over the last 4 years or so. Love, Rubio, Pekovic, Derrick Williams (he looked very well until Rubio got injured).
    That's more than any recent team besides the Thunder.
    So they don't need more projects. It's very reasonable start using the cap space / making trades / adding long term role players.
    They aren't a huge market team after all, they wouldn't be able to retain more guys with All Star talent.

But they are simply overdoing it IMO.

like you said, the assets they have don't make sense anymore. So changing a couple of those for a guy that can really play is a good move. AK47 is a real player. Wes Johnson isn't and it's likely a late round 1st won't be either. So converting them into a starter is a good move.

It is funny though to watch the Wolves on the opposite side of these 'lopsided' trades though.

i think it's just time --- "assets", in particular Anthony Randolph/Beasley types, don't make much sense for them anymore. They had 4 big 'hits' over the last 4 years or so. Love, Rubio, Pekovic, Derrick Williams (he looked very well until Rubio got injured).
    That's more than any recent team besides the Thunder.
    So they don't need more projects. It's very reasonable start using the cap space / making trades / adding long term role players.
    They aren't a huge market team after all, they wouldn't be able to retain more guys with All Star talent.

But they are simply overdoing it IMO.

Hoopshypes transaction board this morning has

Suns re-signing Shannon Brown

Ronnie Brewer to the Knicks

Antawn Jamison to the Lakers

Randy Foye to the Jazz.

Brewer will give the Knicks some much needed "D".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Brewer will give the Knicks some much needed "D".
    At the vet min, he's a steal.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

So Wolves traded Johnson (salary dump) and a 1st rnd pick for AK-47....nice move T-Wolves!

The Minnesota Timberwolves are finalizing a two-year, $20 million contract with free-agent forward Andrei Kirilenko after helping facilitate a three-team trade that sent Phoenix’s Robin Lopez and Hakim Warrick to the New Orleans Hornets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Lopez agreed to a three-year, $15.3 million contract in a sign-and-trade agreement with the Hornets, league sources told Y! Sports. Yahoo! Sports

The second year of Kirilenko's contract will be a player option. Yahoo! Sports

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

https://twitter.com/tj_ford/status/228472426021937152
    My mind playing tricks on me. " my mind telling try to comeback but Will see what the body says
    Would it really be a comeback when you didn't actually sit out?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    https://twitter.com/tj_ford/status/228472426021937152

Would it really be a comeback when you didn't actually sit out?
    I'm no grammar nazi, but that is just awful. Plus, no one wants you TJ, you are just too much of a liability.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    They needed a 2 in my eyes but it really was no 2's available after Turner got taken.
    So... About this Paul George guy...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to funnyguy1105 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    screenshot of Lebron's gmail inbox

Ha, Christ. Anything that makes of Eric Spoelstra is so funny to me. "Could you please listen to me during timeouts? If not it's cool."
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RobRoy317 For This Useful Post:

Slick, that needs its own thread. Too funny to have it hidden in this one.

Never ending pasta at Olive Garden from Barkley. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by funnyguy1105 View Post
    So... About this Paul George guy...
    sure, but i don't think anyone would've taken George over Johnson in that draft. #10 was pretty much his ceiling.

And to be honest, if George went to that organization, he might be as big a bust as Wes Johnson.

If Wes (a pretty versatile, older rookie) ended up just standing and shooting 3s, would PG develop differently, when he was already 3-happy and lacked aggression? would he try as hard on D, if the team leader was Beasley?

PS: I just realized Wes Johnson is going to the Suns to play next to Beasley again, I thought it's the Hornets. Poor guy.
    I think his career might've been much better, if the Wolves didn't get Beasley right after drafting him.
    And I think the Wolves might've drafted differently too, if they knew Miami would offer them Beasley.
    Last edited by ballism; 07-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

David Kahn's my "if we voted tomorrow" favorite for Exec Of The Year. I mean it. OK, him and Kupchak are neck and neck I guess, but Kupchak playing with a stacked deck.

not in my top 10.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    David Kahn's my "if we voted tomorrow" favorite for Exec Of The Year. I mean it. OK, him and Kupchak are neck and neck I guess, but Kupchak playing with a stacked deck.
    Seriously? If we're just going by absolute improvement, this has to go to Billy King (Nets). Both King and Kahn have been pretty inefficient in terms of burning assets to get where they are though, which deducts points from both in my book.

And in any event, they don't hand out awards for the offseason LOL. Still have to see how these teams stack up on the court.

One exec's offseason work that I like, but who definitely won't be winning an award (this year anyway) is Danny Ferry (Hawks). They've taken a step back but man are the Hawks set up for a monster offseason next year.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

not in my top 10.
    Not in my top 25

I think Kupchak is the early favorite, and Howard would seal it.

i'd probably vote for Donnie Nelson (Mavs) myself, what a great quick retooling job.
    He probably has no chance in reality though. When you aim for D-Will and Howard, you aren't going to get many props just for staying competitive and flexible.

I'd give a vote for Danny Ainge too. His moves were all smart, solid, low risk. That team will be the deepest Celtics team in a long time, and they really need depth at this point. He did it without sacrificing assets, I'm very impressed.

Billy King obviously did well. If this was the Pacers, maybe not so much. But when you don't have to consider price.... it's a great job.

Danny Ferry/Morey are hard to judge yet, they both took a risk hoping to improve longer term.
    And there was a number of other interesting GM jobs.

Khan did a lot, but those moves are costly.
    If he didn't sign B-Roy (and in the process kept those 3 picks), he'd be one of the early contenders in my eyes.
    But now there's no way I can rank his offseason that high. At least for now.
    If B-Roy ends up looking like a good long term investment worth those 3 picks, it's a great offseason obviously. We'll be able to judge in a couple years. But right now I'd say that it's a short sighted, high cost low reward decision making.

They'll probably end up a 40-45 win team with less long term assets and no cap space next summer. And then if they fail to make a big signing in the summer 2014 (or some significant trade along the way), Love probably leaves.
    Last edited by ballism; 07-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    One exec's offseason work that I like, but who definitely won't be winning an award (this year anyway) is Danny Ferry (Hawks). They've taken a step back but man are the Hawks set up for a monster offseason next year.
    That's not even the biggest reason he's my EOTY. He was able to do the unthinkable, which was unload the giant contract of Joe Johnson. Following that up with turning Marvin Williams into an expiring was icing on the cake.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

not sure where to put this...

Julian Mavunga ‏@Mavunga
    Signed my first contract.. Moving to Italy in less than two weeks.. This will be bittersweet for sure.. God will be with me!

Julian Mavunga ‏@Mavunga
    Wanted to go training camp with the Pacers but I was given an offer I couldn't resist.. One of many blessings God has given me!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Instead of the Pacers being interested in Josh Howard, I'd really like for the Pacers to take a look at DJ White. Can't believe this guy is a year younger than Hans. Would be a great backup PF off the bench and insurance in case Hans continues his horrid play. Has a lot of talent.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

A funny from Hoopshype;

Manu Ginobili says he’s been giving his Argentine teammates a few tips about how to play Tony Parker. “Go right up to him,” Ginobili said, “and go ‘whooo!’” Ginobili blew air out of his mouth. “That should fog up his goggles,” he said. San Antonio Express-News

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post: