Page 13 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't seen any1 here talk about Tony Wroten Jr. This kid looks really good IMO. If we stay at 26 I hope we draft him or Marquis Teague

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tony-Wroten-5250/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9S1ADUCmg
    Agreed, completely. Of all the players currently being projected to be available at #26*, Wroten would be the swing-for-the-fences pick. His shooting stroke and maturity have been criticized, but everything else practically screams out, "Lottery pick!," -- size, athleticism, skill-level, and excellent production in a major conference, as a freshman, no less.

If you go back to 2006 and read the pre-draft criticisms of Rajon Rondo, and why he slipped into the 20's (21), you'll see it's the exact same reason as to why Wroten's currently projects in the 20's/30's: Terrible shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Givony, Draft Express
    Despite his highly intriguing physical attributes and skills, Rondo is anything but a surefire bet to pan out as a starting caliber NBA point guard.

The biggest concern about his game revolves around his perimeter shooting ability. Much like with what we see with big men at the free throw line, Rondo’s massive hands prevent him from being comfortable in his shooting mechanics and show any consistency in his release. We saw his shooting mechanics change drastically all season long, and more often than not it looked like he was heaving a bowling ball at the basket both aesthetically and in terms of the end result. He only hit 18 3-pointers all season long and did it on a dreadful 27% accuracy from this range.

These same problems prevent him from even being an average free throw shooter in college as well, hitting a pathetic 57% from the charity stripe. Rondo is better from mid-range, but is still far from being NBA caliber here too, particularly in terms of pulling up off the dribble. He would be well served to continue to work on adding a wider array of hesitation moves, crafty head and body fakes and other change of pace skills to help him become an even more effective slasher, as team’s will likely just back off him and dare him to shoot the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Treutlein, Draft Express
    Wroten's bigger offensive problem projecting forward is likely his dreadful perimeter shooting ability, as he shot an atrocious 0.532 points per shot on jumpers according to Synergy, and an equally unimpressive 58% from the free-throw line and 18% from behind the three-point arc. As was the issue throughout his high school career, Wroten exhibits inconsistent mechanics and poor feel with his shot, never really showing sustained progress in this area of his game. He made just 3 of the 24 jumpers he attempted this season with his feet set, which makes it very difficult for him to play off the ball since the defense does not need to respect his shooting range. Wroten also has troubles with his mid-range game, not showing the ability to pull-up off the dribble consistently (6/27 this season) and being very erratic with floaters and runners in the lane.
    A comparison of their production from their final season of NCAA play; Wroten as a Freshman, Rondo as a sophomore:

Measurably, Wroten's an even worse shooter than Rondo was coming into the NBA, but he's a total stud in every other measurable area, including getting to the line at an outstanding rate.

Of course, as much as I'd like to see us select him, I doubt we would. My guess is he's viewed as being too similar to the Lance Stephenson Project for us to bother with him. I also doubt he'll be there at 26, despite what DX and NBADraft.net say. I think he's too promising to slip to far, and that a team in the teens will snatch him up.

*As of this writing, DX has Wroten at 31, NBADraft.net has him at 32, and ESPN has him at #25.

Banned

Zeller? Meh.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    If we get #10 from the Hornets, than that Troy Murphy trade is even more lopsided than we thought originally.

I know folks are thinking the trade up would he for Rivers, but my bet would be Zeller or Henson. I think the Pacers try to get bigger. Hibbert, West and Hansbrough are the main bigs, with Lou a free agent, as well as Fez I believe.

Bird wants the best bench in the league, but i think the bench let us down a bit in the Miami series, so that's where I'll expect us to upgrade.
    If we pick Zeller at 10 I will literally through up
    Sittin on top of the world!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Of course, as much as I'd like to see us select him, I doubt we would. My guess is he's viewed as being too similar to the Lance Stephenson Project for us to bother with him.
    I wonder if Bird is so convinced that Stephenson will advance his game that he views him as a possible replacement for Collison, if DC is traded as speculated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I wonder if Bird is so convinced that Stephenson will advance his game that he views him as a possible replacement for Collison, if DC is traded as speculated.
    Maybe, but I hope not. Not even re re re re re starting the debate on whether he can play point guard or not, but I'd like to see him prove he can be on the floor in a lesser role than back up point guard, regardless. I mean lesser in that I see the point as someone who has to run things, set tempo, get you into your offense, play smart. Thats not the responsiblity Lance needs at this point, imo.

Now if you could go to the 2nd unit line up we all, mostly, liked before last season with George Hill and Lance as your backcourt, that sounds potentially pretty good.

Banned
    Mood

The worst thing about us drafting Tyler Zeller would be the return of those hilarious, "Bird only drafts white guys!" comments. Asides from that, he'd be an excellent pick at #26, in my opinion.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    The worst thing about us drafting Tyler Zeller would be the return of those hilarious, "Bird only drafts white guys!" comments. Asides from that, he'd be an excellent pick at #26, in my opinion.
    26 pick I would be OK with although I might lean on signing Fez instead

to pick Zeller at 10 is what I would have a serious problem with
    Sittin on top of the world!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm talking about Trading DC to move up so we can get Zeller, of course you are happy if Zeller drops to 26th but moving up to get him? Meh.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we were able to trade into the Lottery, I would hope we would take a good long look at Terrance Ross from Washington. Very good athleticism, good shooting stroke, good defensive SG. I think he would be a great player to bring off the bench and then eventually slide into the 2/3 spot along with PG.

You can check out his draftexpress candidate profile below.

http://youtu.be/ZCFFaOc6rho

Interesting...

Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine 1m Follow
    Confirming what @DraftExpress just tweeted: Wiz have agreed to trade Rashard Lewis and 2012 second-rounder for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

That's a hell of a salary dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    Interesting...

Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine 1m Follow
    Confirming what @DraftExpress just tweeted: Wiz have agreed to trade Rashard Lewis and 2012 second-rounder for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza

they need the cap to absorb grangers contract

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

bradley beal will be a wizard now..

Do the Wiz now have Okafor and Nene?

Banned
    Mood

An Okafor/Nene frontcourt is overpaid as hell, but it looks pretty good on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

Glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about why draft Teague and all his potential the last few days as some want when Bird has Stephenson. My feeling is that this is Born Ready's year to swim or sink. He had the opportunity to watch, practice, and play against NBA players now for 2 years. How much more time does he need with all this talent Bird sees in Stephenson. Stephenson either has all this talent or he doesn't have it. Bird needs to carp or get off the pot in regards to Stephenson.

Banned
    Mood

This is originally from an ESPN Insider article...

Latest On Deron Williams: Hoops Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Adams, via ESPN Insider
    This summer's free agent class has something in common with the draft class -- it's not obvious who the second-best available player will be, but everyone knows which guy will be the top choice. In the draft, that's Anthony Davis, while in free agency, it's Deron Williams. We know Davis is ticketed for New Orleans, but where will Williams land? ESPN.com's Chris Broussard shares a few updates on this year's top free agent in his latest Insider-only piece, so let's dive in....

• Williams has yet to make a decision, and is still weighing a number of factors that will affect his choice.

• Although D-Will can make more guaranteed money by re-signing with the Nets, as I explained here, that's not expected to be a deciding factor.

• Williams genuinely likes the Nets' franchise and the new location, and is more optimistic about the team's future than some observers are. However, if Gerald Wallace signs elsewhere, it figures to reduce the odds of Williams re-signing.

• While the point guard would like to play in Brooklyn with Dwight Howard, he won't let Howard's future dictate his decision.

• The Mavericks are still viewed as the Nets' greatest competition, but the Suns are another team that could pose a serious threat to Brooklyn. If the Suns don't re-sign Steve Nash, they should not be counted out of the Williams sweepstakes, says Broussard.

According to Broussard, Williams, a Dallas native, is unlikely to sign in any cold-weather city besides New York. That would rule out a team like the Pacers, which might otherwise be a good fit.

• If Williams tells the Nets he won't re-sign, the team could explore sign-and-trade opportunities. However, the Nets would rather just take the cap space than acquire marginal players in return, so a sign-and-trade would probably only happen if the team could land a star. Broussard cites the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and the Knicks' Carmelo Anthony as two possibilities.

I think this makes Nola get much worse, Trading 2 solid role players for an over the hill never has been? Salary dump for sure, but man thats alot to give up for salary. Isnt' Lewis an expiring contract this year?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Brossard is a moron that shouldn't have a job.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    Interesting...

Marc Stein
    @ESPNSteinLine 1m Follow

NOLA combined salary for the contracts of Okafur and Ariza is 43 mil. Lewis' contract is for 22.7 mil. That's a savings of 20 mil over the next 3 years for NOLA!

This now allows Washington to amnesty Blatche's 23 mil 3 year contract.

With this salary dump, the Hornets don't need to trade their #10 pick to dump a bad contract.

or they could just trade the 10th for DC and the 26th

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Isnt' Lewis an expiring contract this year?

YEP!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They COULD but unless they realllllly like DC as their future PG, idk why they would.

They could just draft a better option with the 10th pick.

Now if they were interested in doing so, I certainly WOULD NOT complain

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Why do that when they can draft Lillard at #10? They have Jack and Vasquez, so why do they truly need DC who they'd have to re-sign next year. Lillard would be their PG of the future, and DC wouldn't be..

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    If we pick Zeller at 10 I will literally through up
    Didn't everyone say the same exact thing before Hansbrough was drafted?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: