Page 73 of 178 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4446

Thread: Off season Rumors and Speculation

  1. #1801
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm assuming whichever team overpays him the most, as has been the case with almost every free agent so far.
    If that's the case, he won't be coming here then.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  2. #1802
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and at least one of us is overrating him.

    Great...ehh...don't know about that. Pretty good? Maybe, but great players don't get benched on that Memphis team.
    He plays the 6th man role.

    Its not as much being "benched", more so Memphis starting arguably the best perimeter defender in the league in Tony Allen, as they should.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  4. #1803
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that whole point guard thing was a way to make himself more appealing to teams. "Oh, look, I have halfway decent handles and can probably play some point guard if needed!"
    The point thing came up in his second year, he forced Memphis to play him at the point in the summer league and didn't work too well, is not something that just came up with.

  5. #1804
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point thing came up in his second year, he forced Memphis to play him at the point in the summer league and didn't work too well, is not something that just came up with.
    Yes, I remember that. I just posted something incredibly similar to this post. As I recall, after that catastrophe, it was shelved indefinitely, and has now resurfaced during his free agency as a possibility for spot minutes.

  6. #1805
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, I remember that. I just posted something incredibly similar to this post. As I recall, after that catastrophe, it was shelved indefinitely, and has now resurfaced during his free agency as a possibility for spot minutes.
    I remember him playing the point with the second unit at times, he is not perfect but he is not that bad either.

  7. #1806
    Member Stuckey7370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Princeton, IN
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha. I've been meaning to ask an admin if it could be changed ever since we shipped out Rush, what, seven months ago?

    Haha, hopefully there won't be a long line of name changes come the 15th.

  8. #1807
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,859

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember him playing the point with the second unit at times, he is not perfect but he is not that bad either.
    Did he? I think in spot minutes, he would be fine at the point. I think he is a point guard every bit as much as Austin Rivers is, and apparently that is what New Orleans is thinking with Rivers--that he can be a point guard. Happy trucking with that one NOLA.

  9. #1808
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he? I think in spot minutes, he would be fine at the point. I think he is a point guard every bit as much as Austin Rivers is, and apparently that is what New Orleans is thinking with Rivers--that he can be a point guard. Happy trucking with that one NOLA.
    He can be a point guard in the same way that Monta Ellis is a PG. IOW, he can pass but he's no PG.

    As much as I like OJ Mayo, he's a little redundant with George Hill on the team. I don't think he'll start over Paul George so unless he wants to come off the bench, he's or going to sign with the Pacers.

    Ultimately, I think that's why B.Roy and Crawford passed on the Pacers. They want to go somewhere they can have a chance to start. My guess is that Mayo will sign with Dallas or Phoenix where he can play plenty of minutes.

  10. #1809
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He plays the 6th man role.

    Its not as much being "benched", more so Memphis starting arguably the best perimeter defender in the league in Tony Allen, as they should.
    To add to your point, it balances a team out to bring a very good shooter/scorer off the bench. James Harden comes off the bench for OKC, and nobody hates on him. See also J.Terry, M.Ginobili, J.Crawford, etc.

    A LOT of teams do this. So it shouldnt be seen as a knock on Mayo. Whether he starts or not, I bet he finshes most games.

  11. #1810
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    381
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To add to your point, it balances a team out to bring a very good shooter/scorer off the bench. James Harden comes off the bench for OKC, and nobody hates on him. See also J.Terry, M.Ginobili, J.Crawford, etc.

    A LOT of teams do this. So it shouldnt be seen as a knock on Mayo. Whether he starts or not, I bet he finshes most games.
    This. And it's not going to hurt Paul to have competition for his starting job. Some nights he just plain stinks. Maybe it would light a fire under him.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:


  13. #1811

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    82games.com keeps track of what percentage of each position's available minutes that individual players use. Basically, each position has 3,936 available minutes in an 82-game schedule, so, for example, if a player plays 394 minutes at center, he'll be listed as taking up 10% of his team's center minutes.

    Anyway, according to their numbers, Mayo's never played a significant number of minutes at point guard. The most time he's spent there was about 7.2 mpg in the 2010-11 season. The results look pretty bad.

    Here are the links, for anyone who cares: 08-09 | 09-10 | 10-11 | 11-12

  14. #1812
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Jon Krawzynski: APNewsBreak: Timberwolves agree to terms with Batum on 4-year, $45M offer sheet with bonuses that can push it past $50M. Batum wants MN. Twitter
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  15. #1813

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Minnesota's considered pitching a Derrick Williams-Martell Webster sign-and-trade for Nic Batum, sources say. Portland would reject it.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:


  17. #1814
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    381
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm Portland, I take a look at that. I don't think I would outright reject it. You're talking a player who can start at the 3 and back up the 4. That can be useful.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:


  19. #1815
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Wonder what Portland has pitched Pacers for Hibbert...
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  20. #1816
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm Portland, I take a look at that. I don't think I would outright reject it. You're talking a player who can start at the 3 and back up the 4. That can be useful.
    I would counter it with DWill and Pekovic....Webster is terrible!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  21. #1817
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    381
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would counter it with DWill and Pekovic....Webster is terrible!
    You aren't kidding. He is something else. I was just going off of Williams potential.

  22. #1818

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Grizzlies and Marreese Speights Reach Agreement on Two-Year Deal | Beyond the Arc

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herrington
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Grizzlies have agreed in principle with restricted free agent Marreese Speights on a two-year contract, per a source with knowledge of the negotiations.

    Speights, who had a strong first season with the Grizzlies after being acquired in the wake of Zach Randolph's early-season knee injury, first hinted at the new deal on Twitter tonight, saying only that he'd be back with the Grizzlies this season. A source confirmed a two-year deal with a starting salary “close” to Speights' qualifying offer of $3.8 million. Depending on the exact starting salary, Speights' deal should be in the $7-$8 million range. The second year of the deal is a team option.

  23. #1819
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,801

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA
    For Pacers fans panicking over B Roy going to Minny, OJ Mayo has and is still at top of the list for Indy
    Oh man. Watch us make an overpaid bid for OJ freaking Mayo.

    I've been the one preaching "wait for July 11 before freaking out", but I seriously don't like the trend of Mike Wells' tweets. I don't think much of Wells' opinion/insights, but his inside info has proven to be accurate in the past.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  25. #1820
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,614

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man. Watch us make an overpaid bid for OJ freaking Mayo.

    I've been the one preaching "wait for July 11 before freaking out", but I seriously don't like the trend of Mike Wells' tweets. I don't think much of Wells' opinion/insights, but his inside info has proven to be accurate in the past.
    We're going to let Roy walk, give Mayo 7+ million a year and chase Kaman's old no defense empty stat sheet *** for 8 figures. And Walsh and Pritchard shouldn't stomp on that flaming bag on their porch.

  26. #1821
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,497

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man. Watch us make an overpaid bid for OJ freaking Mayo.

    I've been the one preaching "wait for July 11 before freaking out", but I seriously don't like the trend of Mike Wells' tweets. I don't think much of Wells' opinion/insights, but his inside info has proven to be accurate in the past.
    True, this franchise could be in for another disastrous season full of mediocrity if Roy is not re-signed. Wells doesn't make things sound very promising either. I think getting Mayo for the right price is a good move for the team, not re-signing Roy could hurt our fan base a lot.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  28. #1822
    Danny Granger PowerRanger DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    I don't think Wells means Mayo takes priority over Hibbert, but as a new addition maybe.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

  29. #1823
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    Sorry, but I've never seen much about Mayo that says great shot creation or point guard skills. He seems to me to be similar to Hill, George and Granger: Good shooter, can make some nice drives, but lacking in a creative midrange game.

    There's nothing about adding Mayo that would help this team where it itches. I'd rather have taken Brandon Roy, who could be a real difference maker, and risk the 70 percent chance he'd be a flop.

    My only hope now is Imawhat's comment that maybe this is setting us up to trade George or Granger or Hill for a truly helpful part.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  31. #1824
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Mayo isn't a point guard. He'd sooner be a power forward.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  33. #1825
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Off season Rumors and Speculation

    The story goes that Mayo's people kept yammering about how OJ should be playing point guard. So then one summer league, Memphis said okay, come to summer league and play the point guard position, mostly to shut up his "people". He did and was horrific at it by multiple reports. This was the story at the time, I have no idea how true it is.

    I think OJ would be happy to have the ball in his hands, which if he's a guy who would fill Barbosa's role, he would be, here.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-06-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2175
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 06:50 PM
  2. Re: The Official JO trade rumors/speculation/discussion thread
    By Alpolloloco in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM
  3. Some Speculation
    By TheDon in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 03:20 AM
  4. speculation
    By microwave_oven in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •