Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012 Thread

Default EURO 2012 Thread

I won't see many of the games, but post your impressions here.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: EURO 2012 Thread

Polish looked really tired by the end. And Greece seemed to fix the problem down their left flank that created many of the early Polish chances.

Russia/Czech was not 4-1 in play but Czech just couldn't get anything going in the final third. They should beat Greece and Poland, but so should Russia. Those 2 will probably make it out of the group.

So happy for Denmark. Holland looked really awful at times. I like to see this as karmic payback time for the Dutch's display in the world cup final two years ago.

(Though as commentators pointed out, they lost the opening game in '88 and went on to win it all, so who knows what's going to happen)

I'm also not quite sure why Afellay is starting over van der Vaart for Holland. I'm a Barcelona fan, so I like Afellay, but it doesn't seem right for a player who didn't play at all this season because of injuries to start over a more experienced player who, by all accounts, had a very good season for Tottenham.
    Last edited by Pingu; 06-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love that Denmark won, because it gives Germany, my grandfather's homeland, a better shot to win the group if they can win today vs Portugal.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

I have Germany winning the whole thing. Not rooting for it. My Dad is from England, they are just in disarray heading into the tournament.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So happy for Denmark. Holland looked really awful at times. I like to see this as karmic payback time for the Dutch's display in the world cup final two years ago.

(Though as commentators pointed out, they lost the opening game in '88 and went on to win it all, so who knows what's going to happen)

I'm also not quite sure why Afellay is starting over van der Vaart for Holland. I'm a Barcelona fan, so I like Afellay, but it doesn't seem right for a player who didn't play at all this season because of injuries to start over a more experienced player who, by all accounts, had a very good season for Tottenham.
    What match did you just watch. Yeah, Holland wasn't as good as it usually is, but they were definitely better then the Danes. They just couldn't convert got one good Danish attack and that was the game. Definitely not deserved. And WHY the F*** is it always brought up if we don't play beautifull soccer, but win and countries like Germany (in the past), Italy and Portugal play UGGGLLLLLY football and win and don't get that comment. Beyond weird.

I remember the Dutch teams in the 70s in 1974 and 1978 WC finals playing beautifull dominant attacking soccer and losing to a Germany team playing well lets just call it "not pretty" and an Argentina team that seemed to think it was a free-fight match. Yet, you would never, EVER hear people *****ing about that, but you do hear droves of them when the Dutch decide to finally put beautifull soccer aside and play for result.

Afellay is a winger in the Dutch national team, van der Vaart is definitely not capable of that. One thing I'm growing tired of though is waiting for Van Persie to show up for the national team. Huntelaar should be starting up front, not Van Persie, but we'll see what happens. Btw Holland should have gotten atleast one penalty, which would have probably atleast two penalties if we had the referee yesterday in the Poland-Greece game, though that would have been insane.

Normally we win such a match as this 2-1 or 3-1, but it's football so it can go either way. Congrats to Denmark they played well and to their capabilities. I have always liked their country and their team well.

Btw I hope Germany wins their match against Portugal because if you want to talk about "dirty" teams then Portugal should be at the absolute top.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

I thought Holland looked awful after the 55-60 minute mark. Robben and Van Persie did nothing. Sneijder looked good but no one was doing anything with his deliveries. Denmark's back for played really well and never looked in too much trouble. They also had good periods of play going forward and didn't just put 11 men behind the ball the whole game.

Mood

I think Germany/Portugal has been a fairly clean match so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    What match did you just watch. Yeah, Holland wasn't as good as it usually is, but they were definitely better then the Danes. They just couldn't convert got one good Danish attack and that was the game. Definitely not deserved. And WHY the F*** is it always brought up if we don't play beautifull soccer, but win and countries like Germany (in the past), Italy and Portugal play UGGGLLLLLY football and win and don't get that comment. Beyond weird.

I remember the Dutch teams in the 70s in 1974 and 1978 WC finals playing beautifull dominant attacking soccer and losing to a Germany team playing well lets just call it "not pretty" and an Argentina team that seemed to think it was a free-fight match. Yet, you would never, EVER hear people *****ing about that, but you do hear droves of them when the Dutch decide to finally put beautifull soccer aside and play for result.
    I'm sorry, I have no intention of having an involved internet argument about something that happened two years ago.

Let me simply point out the fact that I said nothing about Holland playing 'ugly' soccer, or Holland being a 'dirty' team. I think neither things are true: Holland scored the most goals in the qualifiers and Huntelaar was the top goalscorer, so to say they play 'ugly' football would be rather misguided. And having a couple of players who sometimes play 'dirty' (and there I *do* think van Bommel and De Jong fall in that category) doesn't make for a 'dirty' team. I thought the way Holland played in the world cup final was very out of character for them, and going against their natural style of play (and certainly against what they had shown in the tournament up to the final), hence the 'karmic payback time' remark.
    Last edited by Pingu; 06-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Germany and Portugal gave us 70 boring minutes, and 20 interesting minutes. I wish it had been the other way around!

I think Portugal needs to play Ronaldo as a striker, and maybe start Varela, who did pretty well coming off the bench today. Helder Postiga as your center forward just isn't going to cut it at this level.

Thoughts:
    - Van Persie just disappeared today. He was terrible. Maybe if he'd stop slipping so damn much...
    - Very impressed by Sneijder. Wasn't sure if he'd show up after a so-so season at Inter but I thought he was the best player on the field.
    - Thought Affelay played well. Confused when he came out and as to why you guys think he should be benched.
    - Dutch were better but a lot of unnecessarily selfish play. Paradoxically, I didn't think they had that many actually good shots. A lot of the classic "Robben runs from wing and fires shot well above goal." I think they can beat the Germans and the Portuguese.
    - Should have gotten a penalty in the closing minutes on the handball.
    - Thought Boateng did a decent job on Ronaldo, who played as well as could be expected. This iteration of Portugal is just not as good as past ones.
    - Surprised by Nani; solid effort.
    - Germans looked OK. Picked them to win the tournament. Not sure we've seen anything indicating that level yet.
    - Thought Gomez was subpar for 70 minutes and then very good for 10. How many balls from Ozil and Mueller, who were excellent, will slip by him? Podolski similarly disappointing.
    Last edited by rexnom; 06-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Robben has become such a predictable player. Never been a fan of playing guys on the opposite side of their stronger foot- yes the crosses are more dangerous when they cut inside, but it just makes them so, so predictable. In Robben's case he doesn't even cross anymore, just skies shot after shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Robben has become such a predictable player. Never been a fan of playing guys on the opposite side of their stronger foot- yes the crosses are more dangerous when they cut inside, but it just makes them so, so predictable. In Robben's case he doesn't even cross anymore, just skies shot after shot.
    I agree. The only guy who does that (cutting inside and create chances/score goals) effectively on a regular basis is this little dude:

Mother of Christ. He's so damn good. I miss him in the Euros. Let's just pretend he's Polish for the next month or so. Would anyone disapprove?

Mood

The rest of Group A?

I don't buy that that was a hand ball, it got knocked into him with no chance to move his arm, he didn't move it out or like wave his arms around trying to knock it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

I missed having Spain in my life. Great game.

I was pleasantly surprised by Italy. Pirlo is such a great player. With Pirlo and Xavi we saw maybe two of the best midfielders in the history of modern soccer in this game. Not to say anything about Iniesta, who played very well I thought.

I'm torn about whether Torres should start for Spain. On one hand he'll create chances, but then on the other hand he's likely to fail to convert them into goals. I don't know what you guys think, but I don't see Spain winning it all with Fabregas starting as center forward.

Can't wait for France vs. England. Last time these two teams played each other in a Euro, in 2004 (also in the first game of the tournament for both), France scored two (Zidane free kick and Zidane PK after a foul by David James on Henry) in the very last minutes to win it 2-1.

Mood

About that time, eh chaps?

Cmon 3 Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    About that time, eh chaps?

Cmon 3 Lions!
    Allez les Bleus!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

the scores have been pretty rough for me in terms of my prediction game at the office...hoping to bounce back in the upcoming matches...

to be honest though I haven't really witnessed a performance where the team was really feeling it/motivated...everyone seemed to have a bit of a getting used to the tourney feel the first game...thought Russia only looked good cause Czech came out of the gates stumbling...looking forward to tonight though

Best team so far? Denmark?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

I think Italy and Spain both played well.

England played like **** after they allowed that goal. They just played for a draw the rest of the match after being fairly positive early.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    I think Italy and Spain both played well.

England played like **** after they allowed that goal. They just played for a draw the rest of the match after being fairly positive early.
    Nobody in the tournament is missing as important a player as Rooney though (except maybe Spain, with Villa). Anyway, this is pretty much the best England could have hoped for- their two young guys (welbeck and ox) looked good, they held France to long-range attempts the entire game, and got a valuable draw. If Rooney's sharp when he comes back, and they avoid Spain in the quarters, i'm not ruling them out of a semi-final appearance.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm not unhappy with the result, just wished they would have stayed on the front foot a bit more.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

first matchday of the tourney has been disappointing in terms of the quality in my opinion. Hope the second matchday brings a bit more spark and energy.
    not sure if its my feed or what but the atmosphere also feels lacking in the stadiums...people are shown sleeping, there isn't much cheering/etc going on...