Thread: ESPN: Floyd Mayweather seeks release

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN: Floyd Mayweather seeks release

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...ther-jr-career

LAS VEGAS --

A judge in Las Vegas said she'll decide later this week whether to ease jail conditions for Floyd Mayweather Jr., after his lawyers argued that the undefeated champion is getting out of shape in solitary confinement and may never fight again.

Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa made no immediate ruling Tuesday on an emergency motion asking the court to move Mayweather into the general jail population -- something that jail officials had avoided out of fear for the celebrity's safety -- or put him in house arrest for the rest of his three-month sentence.

Mayweather lawyer Richard Wright said he'd be willing to have the boxer serve the sentence in an apartment or somewhere less luxurious than Mayweather's posh Las Vegas-area home.

"I'm not looking for special treatment for Floyd Mayweather," Wright said. "I'm looking for fair treatment."
    But prosecutor Lisa Luzaich said softening the sentence would be just another accommodation, similar to when Mayweather's jail surrender date was postponed for months after sentencing so he could fight Miguel Cotto in May

In the motion, which was first reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, lawyers say Mayweather's personal physician, Dr. Robert Voy, visited the jail Friday and was concerned the 35-year-old fighter appeared to have lost muscle tone.

Voy estimated the boxer was consuming fewer than 800 calories a day -- a drop from his usual 3,000 or 4,000 calories -- and wasn't drinking enough because he isn't allowed bottled water and doesn't usually drink tap water.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN: Floyd Mayweather seeks release

I think he should be in the general population so he can stay in shape. I think he can protect himself.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Default Re: ESPN: Floyd Mayweather seeks release

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he should be in the general population so he can stay in shape. I think he can protect himself.
    he probably could against 1 guy perhaps even 2. but if a group of guys decided to go after him- he is toast.
    anyways, if he really doesn't like being locked up, he needs to make better decisions.
    now that he sees that life can be unpleasant when he doesn't have complete control over it he is showing that in some ways- he isn't so tough.

i remember when riddick bowe joined the marines after retiring at a young age from boxing. i think he lasted about a week, maybe 2 before he ditched that gig.
    he was used to the good life his fight paydays allowed him and the strict and spartan lifestyle the marines showed him wasn't his thing (i don't blame him really)